Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
uac was only annoying because a lot of lovely apps did a lot of poo poo to trigger it unnecessarily

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

carry on then posted:

it was probably that bad when it first came out but by intel they had it figured out

the worst part was that uac was a necessary evil and all the nerds telling their parents how to turn it off probably set windows security back a year or two

postgresql's installer and the program itself apparently still has problems with uac ityool 2014. it apparently tries to write the database inside program files and then shits itself when it can't.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Wheany posted:

postgresql's installer and the program itself apparently still has problems with uac ityool 2014. it apparently tries to write the database inside program files and then shits itself when it can't.

sql server still does that without making GBS threads the bed but it grabs admin credentials during the install process so,

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
obviously you don't actually put your loving database in the default install location but still

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

(i get all my techpinions from taylor swift)

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
cool i was right for once even if i didn't phrase it in that way

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

and now their answer is

quote:

Despite the improvements which have come to Internet Explorer in recent versions, the reputation of IE as a poor quality and slow browser continues to haunt Microsoft. As such, maybe it’s no surprise that in a recent Reddit AMA with the Internet Explorer team at Microsoft they revealed they had entertained the idea of changing the name of Internet Explorer.

Considering the legacy of Internet Explorer and the fact that it is still seen by many as THE Internet and not merely an application used to access the internet, this would seem like a bold move from Microsoft. However, the name of Internet Explorer may have become too poisoned, particularly among the geeks, that such a measure is necessary to have any success at all.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
yeah i mean a new mac is indexing for what...the first 20 minutes you use it? These days a bubble pops up saying "Optimizing your Mac. poo poo might be slow right now."

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

qirex posted:

and now their answer is

so basically they learned nothing and think the problem is marketing

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

its obviously down to marketing why ie11 renders text like total poo poo in windows 8

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
i was thinking of an equivalent to apple safari and all i could come up with is microsoft chartered flight

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

carry on then posted:

uac was a necessary evil and all the nerdsproprietary software vendors telling their parentsclients how to turn it off probably set windows security back a year or twoten

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

too bad microsoft didn't have the guts to blame the program vendor in the UAC dialog text

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

fleshweasel posted:

yeah i mean a new mac is indexing for what...the first 20 minutes you use it? These days a bubble pops up saying "Optimizing your Mac. poo poo might be slow right now."

i've had it do an hour or so before but that's on one of those lovely 5400 rpm drives

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

at least now turning off uac entirely and reverting to xp's "all admin, all the time" security actually requires loving with the registry; the slider gets rid of the dialog boxes but it's still "on" and you still have to right-click "run as admin" if you want to run some software that way and it breaks some lovely software. Of course, loving with this part of the registry will also diable the Windows Store. :downs:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

incidentally i'm pretty sure that was to try and one-up IBM OS/2 2.1

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
IE and windows in general are poisoned badly enough that I've met military contractors talking about never using IE and considering moving to linux for better security

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

FMguru posted:

chunky poop from a butt

mlyp

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
:smith:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

IE and windows in general are poisoned badly enough that I've met military contractors talking about never using IE and considering moving to linux for better security

couldnt microsoft have focus grouped that and found out that the problem wasnt 'internet explorer', it was the 'microsoft' part

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

it probably took them a few tries to get a group that didn't just roll their eyes and steal a bagel on the way out the door

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

carry on then posted:

it probably took them a few tries to get a group that didn't just roll their eyes and steal a bagel on the way out the door

nah, people take focus groups really seriously. its weird

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
ie is actually decent enough right now, but the thing is, a windows pc is the only microsoft device i have, so it's not like i can actually have anything sync from it to other devices

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
wasn't UAC horribly broken by just changing the name of your executable and getting instant admin privileges?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Phoenixan posted:

ie is actually decent enough right now, but the thing is, a windows pc is the only microsoft device i have, so it's not like i can actually have anything sync from it to other devices
they want so badly to have an apple-like top to bottom ecosystem but simply cannot internalize that its only possible for apple because apples customers actually like apple whereas people need to be paid to use windows and wont use their phones at all no matter what

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
its really weird that someone cant actually take control of microsoft and get the departments to stop sabotaging eachothers ideas. just get everyone important in a room, explain exactly what everybody is going to be doing now, and immediately fire anybody who pipes up with detracting arguments. right in the middle of the meeting just fire em for not getting the vision.

why is this impossible? i mean its probably too late by now but maybe 10 years ago it could have worked

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

its really weird that someone cant actually take control of microsoft and get the departments to stop sabotaging eachothers ideas. just get everyone important in a room, explain exactly what everybody is going to be doing now, and immediately fire anybody who pipes up with detracting arguments. right in the middle of the meeting just fire em for not getting the vision.

why is this impossible? i mean its probably too late by now but maybe 10 years ago it could have worked

*brings in every division of microsoft for a HUGE party*

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
they will all knod their heads in the meeting and then go back to backstabbing each other because their yearly bonuses depend on appearing to be better than everyone around them

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

up until last year they had stack ranking, a.k.a. "if you aren't actively sabotaging everyone else you'd better be keeping your cv up-to-date (which you should be doing anyway because you work at microsoft)"

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

so what you're saying is Microsoft is literally Germany and ballmer was literally hitler

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

univbee posted:

up until last year they had stack ranking, a.k.a. "if you aren't actively sabotaging everyone else you'd better be keeping your cv up-to-date (which you should be doing anyway because you work at microsoft)"

there is still a ranking, it's just not called 'stack ranking' anymore.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

look how loving thick that angle photo shows that phone to be

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sniep posted:

look how loving thick that angle photo shows that phone to be

that's about as thick as an iphone, isn't it? :confused:

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

mod sassinator posted:

there is still a ranking, it's just not called 'stack ranking' anymore.
i love that even stack ranking had a rebranding process

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

prefect posted:

that's about as thick as an iphone, isn't it? :confused:

idk maybe its an optical illusion from the angle that just makes it look fat to me

i guess if that's what theyre going for...

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
yeah apple uses camera angles to their advantage to make things look as big or as thick or as thin as they want it

microsoft just kinda takes photos and let's that "pictures ad 10 pounds" thing ring true

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

LastInLine posted:

they want so badly to have an apple-like top to bottom ecosystem but simply cannot internalize that its only possible for apple because apples customers actually like apple whereas people need to be paid to use windows and wont use their phones at all no matter what
even if you own some weird hodgepodge of devices like a windows & a mac & an android & an ipad you can still have all your stuff sync via safari, chrome, or firefox just fine and relaly using any browser but ie makes your life way easy

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Phoenixan posted:

even if you own some weird hodgepodge of devices like a windows & a mac & an android & an ipad you can still have all your stuff sync via safari, chrome, or firefox just fine and relaly using any browser but ie makes your life way easy

IE, share the same lovely experience with all your devices!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Phoenixan posted:

yeah i was going to mention that the other thing microsoft doesnt realize is that you simply cant have an ecosystem without a mobile part of it and welp that means only google and apple matter

• Locked thread