Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theadder
Dec 30, 2011

The Management posted:

my iMac is like 5 years old and has a spinning disk. it is in dire need of an SSD but I've been too lazy to do it

its nearly time for a new imac

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
incidentally, apple is still putting 5400rpm drives in poo poo and theres just no god drat excuse

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Thanks Ants posted:

once you have a mac with an ssd and an i5 you have to have some pretty specific needs for it to no longer suit them.

i want a 1tb ssd so i'm waiting until either those are cheaper or i get ~$4000 to spend on a computer

i'll probably future proof it with 16gb of RAM when I get it too though

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

mishaq posted:

whatever happened to those big tablet tables that were supposed to revolutionize the world

you know, electronic surfaces

one of the professors I work with has 4 of those loving things and loves them

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

what does he do with them

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

theadder posted:

what does he do with them
he does tons of video production and has a very large lab with green screen poo poo and very, very expensive camera drones

he uses them as rolling monitors set up with some hand-made software that hooks up to the various equipment he uses

The lab is basically a gigantic clusterfuck of random poo poo and since he prefers to roll all his own software and keeps his lab on its own subnet we only really help provide purchasing and warranty support when his stuff breaks

the lab is a mishmash of workstation-class machines, a couple racks of various servers and video processing equipment, some imacs/mac pros, drones, etc. Also a small rolling wall of 4k TVs.

For some reason there was an Ouya in there when I stopped by on Friday. :shrug:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Fabricated posted:

this was pretty much the best possible way to end that story :allears:

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Fabricated posted:

he does tons of video production and has a very large lab with green screen poo poo and very, very expensive camera drones

he uses them as rolling monitors set up with some hand-made software that hooks up to the various equipment he uses

The lab is basically a gigantic clusterfuck of random poo poo and since he prefers to roll all his own software and keeps his lab on its own subnet we only really help provide purchasing and warranty support when his stuff breaks

the lab is a mishmash of workstation-class machines, a couple racks of various servers and video processing equipment, some imacs/mac pros, drones, etc. Also a small rolling wall of 4k TVs.

YVCPOS bitch

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

I bet running resolve on a Microsoft surface PixelSense is actually a pretty decent experience if you could calibrate the display.

god why does resolve still not use OS color management?

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

univbee posted:

this was pretty much the best possible way to end that story :allears:

yep

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Last Chance posted:

as it turns out, gigantic screen tables are not a high demand consumer product and their manufacturing costs don't outweigh their no-one-wants-this-poo poo cost

especially when they're an utterly lovely resolution

the first ones were like 1024x768, not even full HD. and this was after full-HD LCD prices dropped through the floor

for $10K I expected it use multiple 2560x1600 IPS panels (which apple had been shipping for years by then) but no, scrub-level 1024x768 projector

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

eschaton posted:

especially when they're an utterly lovely resolution

the first ones were like 1024x768, not even full HD. and this was after full-HD LCD prices dropped through the floor

for $10K I expected it use multiple 2560x1600 IPS panels (which apple had been shipping for years by then) but no, scrub-level 1024x768 projector

Holy mother of gently caress :cripes:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

yeah if you knocked the table the image would wobble because it was projected. the image would slightly wobble all the time anyway just because projectors aren't that precise and all it would take was a slightly off balance fan.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Wheany posted:

how many lumia phones have there been? where does "930" rank among them?

if they sell it they'll then make and advertise and sell the lumia 931

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Fabricated posted:

rolling wall of 4k TVs.

nice 4k tvs or $599 30 hz amazon specials?

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

fleshweasel posted:

incidentally, apple is still putting 5400rpm drives in poo poo and theres just no god drat excuse
at work we have 32-core 64GB simulation workstations which log every signal on every trace every nanosecond on simulated microcontrollers, maybe 5 or 6 at once

naturally, these machines are all outfitted with 5400RPM drives :downs:

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
it's like seeing a chain smoking marathon runner

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Spatial posted:

at work we have 32-core 64GB simulation workstations which log every signal on every trace every nanosecond on simulated microcontrollers, maybe 5 or 6 at once

naturally, these machines are all outfitted with 5400RPM drives :downs:
which doesn't matter if those logs are sent to a fibre channel san or something, it doesn't sound like 6GB/s would be sufficient anyway

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

sorry, did i say drives? i meant drive, singular

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
so here we have state of the art work stations...

... and they all communicate with this 20 year old ibm

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

mishaq posted:

nice 4k tvs or $599 30 hz amazon specials?
Nice ones, forgot the brand though. Not the Saikei or whatever ones from amazon

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

Thanks Ants posted:

once you have a mac with an ssd and an i5 you have to have some pretty specific needs for it to no longer suit them.

i have a 2008 macbook nonpro with an ssd and it can pretty much do anything. i only wish it had better battery life, at 3 hours.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Fabricated posted:

being a tenured professor is a loving dream job

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

this iPhone vs. Windows Phone ad makes one big mistake.

it shows the beautiful iPhone 5S next to an ugly nokia.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
I just had to google how to log off a Server 2012 system

gently caress whoever decided Win8's UI is a thing suitable for a server

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

lol

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

top right of startbar where it says user

but yeah its dumb

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
how many decades has windows update been included in windows and it is still a horrible, painful experience to use even in the latest release of microsoft windows on a new computer

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
works fine for me

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

i presume you're running 2012 R2

otherwise you'd be asking where the start button is

you hover your cursor in a 4x4 px block in the lower-left corner. i guess it works okay when you're on a physical console but when you're using a terminal server session and don't have an actual edge of the screen, welp.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
if you're using rdp does ctrl+alt+end still work

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

minivanmegafun posted:

i presume you're running 2012 R2

otherwise you'd be asking where the start button is

you hover your cursor in a 4x4 px block in the lower-left corner. i guess it works okay when you're on a physical console but when you're using a terminal server session and don't have an actual edge of the screen, welp.

yaep to all this

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Metrication posted:

how many decades has windows update been included in windows and it is still a horrible, painful experience to use even in the latest release of microsoft windows on a new computer

wasn't it just a link to a webpage in xp

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
*selects all available updates
*installs
*reboot
*check for updates, 87 updates available
*gently caress you

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

*gently caress you

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

*installs
*reboot
*check for updates, 87 updates available
*gently caress you

i have an original windows 7 disk and everytime i install it i have to put in 200+ updates. i counted once and it was over 3 gigabytes of updates if i remember correctly. the machine was basically unusable while it updated for 2-3 hours after install.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

*click install
*error: windows already installing updates, please try again
*wait
*try again
*no updates available

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

i recently reinstalled windows 7 and it's still at minimum a four-restart process

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

also yeah sometimes they fail. on a vanilla install. I had to uninstall silverlight and reinstall it afterwards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

it gets even better when you install office, that easily doubles the amount of updates needed on a fresh install

• Locked thread