Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Amethyst posted:

Bill Gates posted:

I just got my Surface Pro a week ago and it is very nice.
I am using a Perceptive Pixel display right now - huge Windows 8 touch whiteboard. These will come down in price over time and be pervasive...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

i used one of those at an at&t office and it sucked a lot, we ended up just using it to watch sports

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Amethyst posted:

it's gate's fault. he's still the "visionary" behind all of the microsoft blunders. balmer and elop follow his orders.

billy g is looking a lil' pear shaped

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

fuuuck failed my microsoft cert exam today

it turns out they mislabeled the exam as "installing and configuring server 2012 r2" when it should have been called "unfucking the worst server admin ever's clusterfuck by only using powershell without internet access"

it's really weird to simultaneously see "terrible server decisions" juxtaposed with "but they have zero old stuff, it's all server 2012 and windows 8", not to mention "oh but you can't use any actually good software solutions because microsoft doesn't have those"

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

Cardboard Box A posted:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/3/6100741/toshiba-encore-mini-windows-tablet

"Microsoft promised cheaper Windows tablets with its "Windows 8.1 with Bing" option for manufacturers, and they’re now starting to arrive. Toshiba is one of the first to announce a 7-inch Windows tablet this week at the IFA tradeshow in Berlin, signalling a new price point for mainstream manufacturers to battle the cheap Android alternatives. The new Encore Mini is a 7-inch (1024 x 600) Windows 8.1 tablet running a quad-core Intel Atom processor with 16GB of internal storage and an SD slot if you need more space. It’s a pretty bare-bones machine, but it’s priced accordingly: it retails for just $119.99 and is available now."

1024 x 600

drfisheye
But you can’t run Windows Store apps at 600px, the minimum requirement is 768px. I don’t get it.

blackNBUK
They removed that requirement with, I think, 8.1.

drfisheye
Nope, the requirement of 8.1 is 1024×768.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/system-requirements

drfisheye
I have 8.1 on a 1024×600 netbook and no Windows Store app starts.

still mad at this because i spent quite a bit of time helping someone on a pos acer ultrabook thing that had a 11" or something screen running 1080p, but the display itself is so poo poo that everything look washed out anyway with really terrible viewing angle in the first place

the ui element in the apps they commonly use doesn't work correctly so you have to turn off the scaling to get those buttons back, but now everything is tiny and unreadable, and oh yeah that loving app is outlook

then you turn down the res but now it just throws an error every time you try to open a photo or something

and finally you set the default photo app to the old 'windows photo viewer' or something and it will actually open photos fine just like w7

oh wait you forgot to do the same thing with videos so now when they try to open the holiday videos they shot alongside those photos, they just get an error message and dumped back into desktop

DaNzA fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Sep 4, 2014

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

you're wrong fujitsu is the ancient japanese art of loving up producing electronics

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
a touchscreen whiteboard would be pretty cool; i have a lot of whiteboard conversations where it would be nice to push things aside for a second, focus on one thing, and then move what we had before back into place, and especially to have the whole thing recorded

i'm having a hard time imagining a plausible price point for this that a company might actually spring for, though. like, it doesn't have to have anywhere near the same pixel density as an ipad, and the touch sensor doesn't need to be quite as good, but you have to scale it up to cover like 12 square feet. "oh, once a week or so, this $2000 device would come in really, really handy"

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

rjmccall posted:

i'm having a hard time imagining a plausible price point for this that a company might actually spring for, though. like, it doesn't have to have anywhere near the same pixel density as an ipad, and the touch sensor doesn't need to be quite as good, but you have to scale it up to cover like 12 square feet. "oh, once a week or so, this $2000 device would come in really, really handy"

that's why such things go in a conference room as a departmental resource, if each of a few dozen people find it useful every week or so

back in the 90s a client in SV actually used "printing whiteboards" a lot. they were a division of a Japanese electronics firm and I guess got the hardware cheap via the parent company. it was actually pretty useful like this. of course you couldn't go back, but at least it was easy to get a record of what had come before to reference later

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

$2000 for a highly specialized, niche device catering to business? oh man

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

That makes it still cheaper than Polycomm ...

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
weve got sarnsung multitouch screens in our conference rooms and they are pretty decent

heck. scrolling with your finger feels way smooth i cant believe i was using win7

only "problem" was that when you swipe left to right in chrome it goes to previous page [the page slides like in tablets]. pretty sure this is googles fault

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I was picking a bologna sandwich out of the floppy drive

say more about this

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

mod sassinator posted:

i seriously think execs like balmer and elop live in this fantasy world where they use stuff like that and think it is perfectly viable consumer technology. meanwhile they have an army of aids and staff that make poo poo work behind the scenes to make the illusion work.

it's like reagan and star wars defense initiative

i remember bunches of articles about how bill gates's house was all automated and computerized. i bet that's what they think everyone wants/needs

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

theadder posted:

say more about this

Children don't think about "why" or "why not"

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

prefect posted:

i remember bunches of articles about how bill gates's house was all automated and computerized. i bet that's what they think everyone wants/needs
i wouldn't mind having an automated/heavily computerized house but the problem is taht like everything reality is lame and poo poo can/will break the more complex it is and it only gets easy to fix if the parts/processes for it are commoditized

"Hang on let me show you all this cool poo poo my house can do; close blinds!"

*4/5ths of the mechanical blinds close, the rest are stuck*

"Well yeah that kinda happens sometimes but my fridge has a voice activated drink dispenser; fridge, water please!"

*A glass flops out of the drink dispenser and shatters on the floor because it had shifted slightly overnight in the loader, water sprays onto the floor*

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

mod sassinator posted:

i seriously think execs like balmer and elop live in this fantasy world where they use stuff like that and think it is perfectly viable consumer technology. meanwhile they have an army of aids and staff that make poo poo work behind the scenes to make the illusion work.

it's like reagan and star wars defense initiative

wish you had an army of aids

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

ugh someone goatsed my house

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

reminder:
"Steve Ballmer has an 80-inch Windows 8 tablet in his office. He's got rid of his phone, he's got rid of his note paper. It's touch-enabled and it's hung on his wall."
"It's his whiteboard, his email machine," Shaw said, "and it's a device we're going to sell."

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Pinterest Mom posted:

reminder:
"Steve Ballmer has an 80-inch Windows 8 tablet in his office. He's got rid of his phone, he's got rid of his note paper. It's touch-enabled and it's hung on his wall."
"It's his whiteboard, his email machine," Shaw said, "and it's a device we're going to sell."

"L@@K 80-inch whiteboard originally belonged to Clippers owner!!!! AMAZING DEAL $50 obo"

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Pinterest Mom posted:

reminder:

when was this, 2 years ago now?

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
what the gently caress is an email machine and why do top-level microsoft execs keep mentioning it

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

because their job is to send and receive emails

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

posted this is the android thread out of habit lol:

voice of cortana

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the xbone is out in japan!

Microsoft had a big launch party

and the xbox faithful were camped out in anticipat-

[biggest electronics store in tokyo]

bic camera:

wait, here's some happy customers!

that guy on the right looks kind of familiar...

well it's not the most popular thing in japan these let's go back in the morning when the stores open

"According to Inside, the man in the background, playing a PS Vita, said he wasn't waiting for the Xbox One. "

quote:

Tokyo (AFP) - The Japanese launch of Microsoft's Xbox One fell flat on Thursday, with journalists covering the debut far outnumbering buyers.

Japan finally got the console more than nine months after it hit shelves in North America, Europe and Australasia and half a year after domestic heavyweight Sony unleashed its PlayStation 4 to grand acclaim.

But the usual enthusiastic crowds that greet big launches in Japan were absent on Thursday morning, with just one buyer at a major electronic retailer in Tokyo.

"I was surprised that I was the first one to get this even though I didn't wait in a queue," said Kazuyuki Wakai, surrounded by half a dozen journalists from Japanese and international media.

Wakai, 30, said he had opted for the Xbox because of its graphics and because of certain titles that are only available on the console, including the "Halo" series.

But Wakai, who also has a number of PlayStations and a Nintendo Wii, admitted the Xbox lags far behind its Japanese rivals in terms of popularity.

"It may be because the bad impression of earlier models still lingers," he said, noting hardware designs and initial technical glitches.

Both Xbox One and PlayStation 4 are aimed at hard-core gamers, strategies the companies hope will insulate them from the challenge posed by free or cheap smartphone downloads popular among the casual player.

Microsoft says application software development and linguistic challenges are among the reasons behind the long lag in launching the Xbox One in Japan

The company said in April it had shipped more than five million of the consoles globally since it launched in November.

Sony said last month global sales of PlayStation 4 had surged past the 10 million mark in less than a year, a record for the Japanese giant.

Xbox has been trailing badly in Japan. Japanese sales of Sony's PlayStation 3 were 824,000 units in 2013, dwarfing the fewer than 20,000 Xbox 360 consoles, the predecessor to Xbox One, according to estimates by leading game magazine Famitsu.

A Microsoft marketing official told AFP the company expects sales will pick up as more titles are released towards the end of the year.

"We have high expectations as this (machine) is loaded with graphics that will surely satisfy game players," he said.

qirex fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Sep 4, 2014

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

loaded with graphics

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

eschaton posted:

that's why such things go in a conference room as a departmental resource, if each of a few dozen people find it useful every week or so

sure, but then it needs to be more like thirty square feet because people will want to use it for ten-person meetings. also it's probably useless to me because the conference rooms are permanently booked regardless of whether anybody is using the magic whiteboards in them. our current space is the only place i've ever worked where conference rooms regularly sit empty, and that's because it's literally a conference center

but yes, if you're not putting one in every office, it's a negligible expense compared to e.g. the voice/video conferencing solution

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

theadder posted:

say more about this

nobody used floppies at that point so it only gets reported when the meat starts to stink but the heat and dry air sorta turns it in to a jerky sandwich so you have to break it up with a flathead and then pick it out with tweezers

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

nobody used floppies at that point so it only gets reported when the meat starts to stink but the heat and dry air sorta turns it in to a jerky sandwich so you have to break it up with a flathead and then pick it out with tweezers

lol but so gross

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
nobody ever makes balogna jerky

makes u think

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

listen I have a closet of bitcoin rigs pumping out heat over here

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

we used imacs in grad school and people would shove their SD cards in the CD slot about once a week

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

listen I have a closet of bitcoin rigs pumping out heat over here

sell the jerky. start a gang to fight louisgod when he eventually tracks u down(he WILL track u down)

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

A new Microsoft product that allows website publishers to embed digital photographs on their sites is a “massive infringement” of copyrighted images, Getty Images claimed in a lawsuit filed in federal court in New York on Thursday.

The Bing Image Widget, released on Aug. 22, gives publishers the ability to create a panel on their websites that displays digital images supplied by Microsoft’s Bing search engine, according to the lawsuit.

Rather than draw from a pool of licensed images, the lawsuit claimed, the product grants access to the billions of images that can be found online, without regard to whether the photos are copyrighted.

“In effect, defendant has turned the entirety of the world’s online images into little more than a vast, unlicensed ‘clip art’ collection for the benefit of those website publishers who implement the Bing Image Widget, all without seeking permission from the owners of copyrights in those images,” the lawsuit said.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

didn't getty recently change their online strategy to make embedding possible anyway?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

my extra fatty recipe will involve smearing the meat with mayo first

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Blackula69 posted:

A new Microsoft product that allows website publishers to embed digital photographs on their sites is a “massive infringement” of copyrighted images, Getty Images claimed in a lawsuit filed in federal court in New York on Thursday.

The Bing Image Widget, released on Aug. 22, gives publishers the ability to create a panel on their websites that displays digital images supplied by Microsoft’s Bing search engine, according to the lawsuit.

Rather than draw from a pool of licensed images, the lawsuit claimed, the product grants access to the billions of images that can be found online, without regard to whether the photos are copyrighted.

“In effect, defendant has turned the entirety of the world’s online images into little more than a vast, unlicensed ‘clip art’ collection for the benefit of those website publishers who implement the Bing Image Widget, all without seeking permission from the owners of copyrights in those images,” the lawsuit said.

thanks, imagewidget!

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Blackula69 posted:

microsoft has lawyers. shame that they're incompetent

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

once i wrote a sentence about how with windows live messenger the customer can video chat in full hd. the ms lawyers had me add a footnote to that sentence clarifying that to chat in full hd, you needed windows live messenger. the text of the footnote was effectively the same as the sentence it was footnoting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

duTrieux. posted:

once i wrote a sentence about how with windows live messenger the customer can video chat in full hd. the ms lawyers had me add a footnote to that sentence clarifying that to chat in full hd, you needed windows live messenger. the text of the footnote was effectively the same as the sentence it was footnoting

lol that owns in a terrible way

• Locked thread