Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

PeterWeller posted:

It is literally two off-the-shelf components and some wiring where wiring already goes in bundles.

Sorry, adding ~$100 of cost and less than a pound of components to a car that is likely to sell for over $25,000 and is remarkably light weight is a deal breaker for me :colbert:

Geoj fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Sep 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Like I was saying, looks amazing from the side. Shame about the front and the back though.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

revmoo posted:

The thing that annoys me the most is that we (America) want to dump billions of dollars into things like rearview cameras and TPMS and yet we don't want to invest anything at all into driver training. It makes no sense at all.

Driver training involves hiring people and then having those people actually try to communicate with Americans. As a further detail, such communication involves telling drivers what to do. Nobody's allowed to tell me what to do. :argh:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Elysium posted:

Like I was saying, looks amazing from the side. Shame about the front and the back though.

That's definitely the best angle for it. It seems that they moved the front axle forward a bit, and this makes the proportions more attractive I think. I can't really say I dislike the new design overall (it's definitely an improvement over the NC at least) but I thought that the design language from the 6 and 3 would result in something better looking. Well there's always Alfa for looking pretty.

Anyway, has there been any indication when the specs would be revealed? I get that they didn't want to reveal anything yesterday for some reason, but they aren't going to wait a year to say something specific, are they?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Am I the only one that thinks it looks like a cross between a BMW Z3/4 and a BRZ without a top? Either way, it looks very safe and derivative to me.

quackman
Jan 25, 2004
Chapstick

meatpimp posted:

Am I the only one that thinks it looks like a cross between a BMW Z3/4 and a BRZ without a top? Either way, it looks very safe and derivative to me.

I saw some BRZ-ness in the hood-fender top bulge almost right away. Where do you see Z3/4ness?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

quackman posted:

I saw some BRZ-ness in the hood-fender top bulge almost right away. Where do you see Z3/4ness?

Rear and rear 3/4 view.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

The hood/fender profile (hell the whole front clip) looks like an FD to me. I don't like the taillights though, hanging that swoopy thing off the side of a simple round red taillight looks gross to me.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Phone posted:

Like living.

If pedestrians are the reasons I can't have pop up headlights then gently caress em

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

You'll have to pry my pop ups from my cold dead hands :colbert:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
If pedestrians don't want to be hit then they shouldn't stand in the road. :colbert:

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Ugh, another convertable.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

FatCow posted:

Ugh, another convertable.

I know. I was hoping for a converchair.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

This is just the best

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I don't wanna read through all that garbage but I did see somebody questioning what kind of top it will be. UK mags say the soft top is able to be put up with one hand. If they haven't figured that out already somebody point it out.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I just realized: No hood "Power" bulge :(

That, and oval taillights, are pretty much the only consistent miata design features.

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!
No glove box either. A little too aggressive with the gram strategy?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
There's no glovebox in the S2000 either.

Probably just a packaging issue with moving the firewall back while retaining the same underdash stuff.

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!
Overall I'm pretty okay with it. It's still very Mazda and I'm sure aftermarket would take care of some of the oddities of the styling. However, sure do hate that slapped on looking infotainment screen :smith:

Looking forward to seeing some actual specs.

Taco Box posted:

Anyone else notice the cd drive is between the seatbacks? Right behind the cupholders?

The picture I saw was actually a DVD player. Right by the cup-holder area.

poxin fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Sep 5, 2014

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Anyone else notice the cd drive is between the seatbacks? Right behind the cupholders?

e: or 5.25/ single din optical drive?

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Sep 5, 2014

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

They still put CD players in cars?

IronCastKnight
Jul 27, 2013
Hey, there's just something magical about sliding your disk into a tender, eagerly waiting slot which greedily sucks at every single inch of it.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
So I go to pressure test the cooling system on the Miata, and drop the bottom tray so I can get a better view from both sides....and immediately: ARRRRRRRRG

I guess it's new water pump time, although the dealership told me that had already happened when I checked the car's records, and it's only at 72k now...

How difficult of a job is this? I'm a noob.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Phone posted:

There's no glovebox in the S2000 either.

Probably just a packaging issue with moving the firewall back while retaining the same underdash stuff.

S2000 has a storage compartment behind the armrest/tunnel though

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

Nodoze posted:

S2000 has a storage compartment behind the armrest/tunnel though

NC does as well. Also one cubbie behind each seat, but they're kind of a pain to access.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

blk posted:

How difficult of a job is this? I'm a noob.

Depends on if you want to learn or just get the job done. If you can take your time on it, go for it, otherwise have somebody else do it. Might as well take care of the timing poo poo while you're at it too.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
You chose an overhead cam 4 valve engine. You knew you would pay someone to fix it.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

televiper posted:

NC does as well. Also one cubbie behind each seat, but they're kind of a pain to access.

There were clearly at least two storage compartments in the center behind the armrest on the ND too.

MattD1zzl3 posted:

You chose an overhead cam 4 valve engine. You knew you would pay someone to fix it.

????

blk
Dec 19, 2009

leica posted:

Depends on if you want to learn or just get the job done. If you can take your time on it, go for it, otherwise have somebody else do it. Might as well take care of the timing poo poo while you're at it too.

My repair procedure usually goes like:

Work for five minutes
Check Youtube video to make sure I'm not loving it up
Work for five minutes
Struggle with fastener X for an hour because I have no upper body strength
Work for five minutes
Check shop manual to make sure I'm not loving it up, try a different Youtube video for good measure
Etc.

I'm going to join the Miata club when I move to Portland at the end of the month and see if I can get a more experienced member to help me with it; otherwise I'm going to take it to a shop. I really need someone over my shoulder for something like this but don't have any local car buddies.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Mine goes like this:

work for five minutes
look for that tool I just set down (and damnit I haven't even gotten up where is it?!)
goto 10

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Just buy a bunch of distilled water and add as you lose it until you can get it fixed. Hell I've been driving mine for over a year with a leaking water pump, I even have all the parts, I'm just not in the mood to do it yet :v:

Also, just had my car aligned with the Flyin' Miata specs, holy poo poo does it drive better now :)

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Did you sit in the car?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Nah, I just said gently caress it. Didn't have the time anyway to sit and wait so I just dropped it off.

Still drives ten times better so I'm happy.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Guys, this new Miata reveal has stirred feelings deep within me that I didn't know I had.

But seriously, I really like it and I want one. And I did just get a promotion, time to start saving up.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
some notes about the interior of the ND:
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/09/07/2016-mazda-mx-5-miata-interior-impressions-photos/

quote:

The column tilts, but unfortunately and somewhat inexplicably, it still doesn't telescope.
I am devastated

quote:

The more supportive seats are positioned closer to the floor of the car, and the slightly wider passenger cell itself seems to be set a bit further back in the wheelbase than the NC.

The window switches have been relocated to the doors from the center console where they have long been placed. Blame the encroachment of the Mazda Connect infotainment controller knob for the loss of tradition.

Also conspicuous by its absence is a glovebox. Instead, primary paperwork and oddment storage duties in the cabin will fall to the lockable storage bin in the rear bulkhead between the seats. We were unable to open it to see how capacious it is.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

quote:

Whereas the NC's redline is listed at 7,000 rpm (6,700 rpm on automatic models), the large, centrally mounted tachometer on the ND suggests its new SkyActiv engine will be happy to rev to at least 7,400 rpm. Zippy.

It isn't a standard 2.0/165ps SkyActiv-G then, since that redlines at ~6500.

Have they definitely still not detailed the engine?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

In the interior shots the steering wheel looks oddly close to the door, I can't tell if it the camera angle or not.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Butthurt over window switches and cupholders. Wait until they see where the Italians put them. Window Switches will be on the gearshift lever and cupholders in the convertible top.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 232 days!)

Goober Peas posted:

Butthurt over window switches and cupholders. Wait until they see where the Italians put them. Window Switches will be on the gearshift lever and cupholders in the convertible top.

That seems a bit more French than Italian, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Viggen posted:

That seems a bit more French than Italian, actually.

I'll call your bet and raise you an Alfa Romeo 75.

:colbert: