Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

Drifter posted:

It's been $5 before, but 6 or 7 dollars is still a great price if you will actually play it right now.

You can make different choices, I guess. It's really a good game. Are you really going to want to spend 18-20 hours multiple times on one game within a span of a year?

You should get it and play it. You'll have fun.

Why is it good? What makes it better than Xcom or Jagged Alliance?

Besides being 'good' and saying 'you'll have fun'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

ovaries posted:

Besides being 'good' and saying 'you'll have fun'?
I guess irony is a lost art.

The reviews are pretty spot on.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/237430/

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Why does a genre need a point that everything must adhere to? That sounds really boring and lovely. I have started reading Umineko recently and it's actually kind of rad even though there are no choices. It's as good as many actual mystery novels but with art and (surprisingly good) music. If someone wants to make something like this, I see nothing wrong with that.

Planetarian is probably not going to be as good, but I have no problem with its format.

Well I probably would have been a lot more generous if I hadn't left the experience going "What a boring piece of poo poo." I mean yeah in theory I have no issue with non-interactive VNs, but when the art and music is only passable and the story is bland at best, it does make me wish I could take the story in more interesting directions than the writers dictated to me.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

oh hey volgarr is on sale for $4 in the humble store too. you should buy volgarr because it is good and you will have fun with it before it grinds your will into dust.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Seventh_Samurai posted:

What was the consensus on Lili: Child of Geos? I remember there being some talk about it when it first came out but remember any endorsements.

It's a super-casual game with nice visuals and great character designs. The only real gameplay mechanic is kind of qte-ish but rather easy once you figure out how to exploit it. You basically walk around a couple of villages on an island and talk to villagers and chase down spirits to pluck their flowers. I found the dialogue amusing enough and enjoyed playing it. I caught all the spirits and collected all the masks and it still only took me like 5 hours to finish, so if you're looking for a casual game that looks nice and is light fun, it's worth a shot, just be aware that it's very simple and limited in gameplay.

The 39 Steps was just mentioned the other day and is 90% off in the weeklies. It's a pretty entertaining adaptation and is about 4-5 hours long. Starts slow but once the story picks up, I found it hard to put down and finished the last couple of hours in one playthrough slightly interactive reading session. I'd be interested in similar adaptations if the developer ever made some more.

Sivek fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Sep 8, 2014

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

lordfrikk posted:

I restarted my client and suddenly everything was in Russian. I've been on Steam the whole day (and the past 3 days or so, too) so it couldn't have been someone else logging on, right? I have SteamGuard on and VAC still in good standing. Even my wallet balance is still the same.

e: I've been using idlemaster, surely that's not it?

I don't understand why this isn't in the OP. It happens all the time.

Click on this. Ignore the big red "this isn't English" bar, that's a Steam Enhanced add-on thing which is another way you can fix that I guess.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So how was the PC port of the Saboteur anyway? I remember having a ton of fun with the XBox version, but my copy of that is lost to history.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Heran Bago posted:

I don't understand why this isn't in the OP. It happens all the time.

Click on this. Ignore the big red "this isn't English" bar, that's a Steam Enhanced add-on thing which is another way you can fix that I guess.

the client itself actually doesn't have a language option there. it's weird too since this has happened to me a couple times when looking at the store in firefox but never actually in the client

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007
I imagine if you start searching for Steam related stuff in the client/overlay browser, it's possible to set the language cookie to another language.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

So how was the PC port of the Saboteur anyway? I remember having a ton of fun with the XBox version, but my copy of that is lost to history.

It either works flawlessly, or it'll have so many issues the ground won't load fast enough while you are driving on it that'll you'll fall through the world if you go too fast.

Most people have problems, especially if you have ATI cards. If you have an Nvidia card your chances are a bit better though.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I did literally nothing but restart the client and it just switched the languages. You can't change the client language by browsing randomly on different language variations of the site AFAIK (not even sure how'd you even go about doing that since there's no address bar).

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

there is an address bar but it's probably hidden by default

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

lordfrikk posted:

I did literally nothing but restart the client and it just switched the languages. You can't change the client language by browsing randomly on different language variations of the site AFAIK (not even sure how'd you even go about doing that since there's no address bar).

I thought the client forces the language you set in Settings > Interface. Guess not though if that happened to you. It certainly isn't based on location.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

ovaries posted:

It's not better than either of those games, but it's different. There's a big focus on text-based decisions and events, and the out-of-combat bits are all about resource management and exploring. The actual combat is nowhere near as good as XCOM, but it's enjoyable enough that it doesn't usually get in the way or feel tedious. The amount of branching in the plot is surprising as well. There are a lot of fights that feel like they're all or nothing, but the story just keeps on trucking if you fail them.

Edit- It's also worth replaying at least once if you're still into it, and a single play through of both campaigns will take you a solid 20-30 hours depending on how much exploration you do. It's not endlessly replayable in the way XCOM or Civilization would be, but there's plenty to do.

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Sep 8, 2014

vmdvr
Aug 15, 2004
Watch out for Snakes!

poptart_fairy posted:

Runs fine for me, but I have an nvidia card. I hear people with ati cards have problems that were never fixed.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

FYI guys with that Humble sale they seem to be slowly adding more and more to the sales, when I looked when it first went up sorting by discount on their store had a couple pages of deals, now there's 8.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Psychonauts is so, so, so, so, so, so good. For $1 or whatever it is, it's a no-brainer to buy. Goddamn this is a good loving game.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Has Halfway changed at all since its release? I remember someone (Palpek?) posting about it and saying it was pretty mediocre/frustrating but that the devs were planning on fixing some of the issues. Is it worth a punt at £7?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

poptart_fairy posted:

Runs fine on my end, Nvidia card. There is an annoying bug where you can't set your resolution higher than 1280xsomething (I think this is it) if you still want to make use of your map.

Also, play with a controller, the interface is too annoying to use KB+M.

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Sep 9, 2014

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Has Halfway changed at all since its release? I remember someone (Palpek?) posting about it and saying it was pretty mediocre/frustrating but that the devs were planning on fixing some of the issues. Is it worth a punt at £7?

There was an update a while ago adding some new weapons, tweaking some things. I'd only played basically one level before this update, so no idea how the original release felt.

I'm not sure what gripes Palpek (or whoever) had with it, but I can share mine at least.

Its not terrible, but ultimately the combat mechanics boil down to feeling pretty shallow. There's not much to encourage tactics beyond get in cover, and then take potshots without moving, since burning two AP on a steadied aim shot usually gives decent hit chances at most ranges.
The level design also doesn't usually allow for much flanking, and flanking isn't that great anyways.

As a final detriment to flanking, or even just forward mobility in general, the game very often commits a cardinal strategy game sin and has enemies teleport in to fixed positions at certain triggers as you move forward, or as a second wave of reinforcements. This means that if you actually moved up a high mobility character with a short range weapon to flank or finish off an enemy, there's a decent chance the game will now spawn more enemies right on top of or around them. Even worse, in some cases this new wave will get a free move/action and if you have moved someone forward, they will get surrounded and killed before you even regain control.
All of which, again, promotes hanging back in cover and taking potshots (and the potshots can be fairly accurate with sniper rifles, and various aim boosts, so why not). Have someone with decent health/recharging shields/medkits/shield boosters to block groups of melee attackers.

Dev's probably realized this at some point, but unfortunately their way of dealing with the simple mechanics and increasing difficulty was to have enemies become decent hp sinks, especially the melee enemies, which just exacerbates it. The enemy types are basically melee enemy, ranged shooter, and fixed turret. New enemy types are color changes of these with more health, shields, and stronger attacks.

I haven't finished the game. I'm probably roughly halfway (hah), or 2/3 of the way through and kind of stopped due to the above and I'd rather replay XCOM for the thousandth time (XCOM is great). The scavenging and team composition / inventory management is all right. Character unique abilities are also all right. Seems like the core of a decent game, but the level, enemy, and encounter design kind of hurt it.
Especially all the things discouraging mobility in firefights kind of hurt it, and I doubt that's something easily addressable without reworking large parts of the game.

Again, I wouldn't really call it bad. Serviceable but shallow xcom-lite. I'd wait for a decent sale if you really, really want an xcom-lite, or pass otherwise.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
So I just used a steam key for the Whispered World, and it gave me both the first version and the Special Edition. No real reason to not play the Special Edition, is there? It's just the original game with extra stuff and less file size?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
It seems like there's a big patch coming to Company of Heroes II. I guess it is a good time as ever to mention that thanks to the standalone expansion pack (which adds another German faction and the Americans) it is now a pretty decent game, even though balance is kinda botched in a way that makes Dawn of War 1 look well designed.

I mean, it is still the game where the single player campaign about warcrimes in the Eastern Front makes no mention of german ethnic cleansing or Einsatzgruppen and the only war crimes are carried out by Soviets (who, I must add, behave like cliches straight from Enemy at the Gates, while fighting in the late stages of the theater as if it were 1941). But hey, the multiplayer is still entertaining. :v:

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Azran posted:

It seems like there's a big patch coming to Company of Heroes II. I guess it is a good time as ever to mention that thanks to the standalone expansion pack (which adds another German faction and the Americans) it is now a pretty decent game, even though balance is kinda botched in a way that makes Dawn of War 1 look well designed.

I mean, it is still the game where the single player campaign about warcrimes in the Eastern Front makes no mention of german ethnic cleansing or Einsatzgruppen and the only war crimes are carried out by Soviets (who, I must add, behave like cliches straight from Enemy at the Gates, while fighting in the late stages of the theater as if it were 1941). But hey, the multiplayer is still entertaining. :v:
Oh is that why COH2 drew so much ire?

And probably also not much 'MERICA in it?

(strange it would get that reaction from what you described about it since so many drat people on WW2 game message boards love to plaster their signatures and avatars with iron crosses)

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Sober posted:

(strange it would get that reaction from what you described about it since so many drat people on WW2 game message boards love to plaster their signatures and avatars with iron crosses)

I just happen to really like the design of the Confederate flag, which is why I have one on my car...hanging from my garage door... and tattooed on my shoulder.

I don't know nuthin' 'bout those :airquote:slaves:airquote:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
There are three things to consider when it comes to CoH2's reception.

First of all, people who loved CoH1 despised 2 at launch. It was full of issues, balance was incredibly lopsided towards GLORIOUS GERMAN EQUIPMENT (as a Soviet you had to win in the early game. Full stop. You had no chance in the late game unless the german player was awful) and a lot of the CoH1 mechanics were removed or replaced with P2W stuff like commanders. The people who worked on the original CoH1 didn't work on this game, and studio members jumped ship when the were bought by Sega.

Second, the developers have a huge german bias thing going on. Besides the portrayal of Soviets and Germans in the campaign (considering the themes) and in gameplay (they basically took the gameplay style of CoH1, which happens in the Western Front, and C&P it on the Eastern one, which makes absolutely zero sense because both were really different in both scale and force organization) they openly went with the "German equipment is always superior. No matter what" stance on balance. I don't care about realism in a game as arcadey as this; I enjoyed CoH1 despite its lack of realism, because that's not what I look for in an RTS. I look for fun gameplay first and foremost. But the amount of neo nazis you can find ingame, coupled with that really weird german bias displayed on both game mechanics AND story makes me feel uneasy. Anything WW2 attracts nazi fanboys, but when the devs openly display german favoritism, then it becomes a fine line only defined by how you approach nazism and its many, many crimes. Dismissing them entirely is not how you walk that loving line!

Lastly, the Russian media reaction was stupid. Going all out with the "INCORRECT PORTRAYAL OF PATRIOTIC SOVIET FORCES MEANS GAME IS BANNED" reaction meant that a lot of legitimate criticism regarding the game's themes were dismissed as russian ultranationalism. The soviets did a lot of hosed up poo poo, but you cannot go and mention these while covering them with unrealistic cliches (blockade troops, conscripts as mainstay force, no soviet mechanized forces in 1944) and completely dismiss German warcrimes while also depicting them in a way you make History Channel proud. Did I mention that only the Germans get non-sniper units who are immune to the cold, while the T34/85 (one of the best tanks of the war) has to rely on ramming to damage the glorious teutonic steel beasts? :downs:

The core gameplay is still decently fun, even though basic stuff like the retreat function in infantry doesn't work properly sometimes, but the whole portrayal of Soviet and German forces is downright disgusting. The Americans are getting their own single player DLC so let's see what they do with them. Maybe you get to test napalm on italian fortifications while the dashing Germans attempt to stop you!
I'm sorry for rambling about this, but I remember a goon in this thread (last time the game was mentioned) who went something like "HUH THIS GAME TAUGHT ME A LOT ABOUT THE EASTERN FRONT!" and I kind of wanted to burn Relic down at that moment, so I supposed I might as well clarify.

Azran fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Sep 9, 2014

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Azran posted:

Haha, it's so much worse then Enemy at the Gates. In mission 4-5 a whole bunch of soldiers go to rescue you to bring back vital intelligence, since you got caught under some rubble, they all get executed for it, because they left their posts! And they make a big display about how they'll all be executed by firing squad in front of the rest of the solders, to make sure they understand that doing their job is a great way to get shot.

At least in Enemy at the Gates, they stuck with the standard "soviet bodies clogged the machine guns/russians are total cowards" tropes. CoH2 just makes it insulting.

But yeah, CoH2 is getting a lot better, the Battle of Ardennes expansion is coming out in November, and will add a whole new storyline for the game focused on Able from CoH at the Battle of the Bulge. The new armies expansion awhile back, mixed with some hefty patching/nerfing of commanders has made the game somewhat balanced, and at least fun enough for people who enjoyed CoH1 and wanted more of it. You don't need the base game for the new expansion though, so unless you really liked those odd side missions added in Tales of Valor, I'd suggest just waiting for that expack.

Like literally, the game presents the Nazis as the good guys for fighting the evil Soviets. Who you are playing as. In the middle of WW2. I hope it wasn't intentional, and instead one development group was just trying to make sure the Germans were presented as a real threat, while the Russians were presented as incompetent or something, because christ, it's really bad.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Sep 9, 2014

gazza
Oct 20, 2013
There was an early trailer for CoH 2 literally titled "Forgotten Sacrifice" that had at least a marginally respectful tone towards the Soviet contribution. Then it came out and basically pissed on the graves of everyone who died there. I guess they realized that their target audience are a bunch of Nazi fetishists? And the game was pretty trash on launch too.

But that Alpha Protocol/Binary Domain/Crazy Taxi/Viking bundle :woop:

http://www.greenmangaming.com/bundles/

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Psychonauts is so, so, so, so, so, so good. For $1 or whatever it is, it's a no-brainer to buy. Goddamn this is a good loving game.

Someone hasn't experienced Meat Circus yet.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

pentyne posted:

They fixed Meat Circus so it isn't nearly as bullshit as it was on the console versions/release. It's still challenging, just no longer the total swear fest it used to be.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

gazza posted:

But that Alpha Protocol/Binary Domain/Crazy Taxi/Viking bundle :woop:

http://www.greenmangaming.com/bundles/

Used Playfire reward credits for this since I've been wanting Alpha Protocol. :cheers:

Mushball
May 23, 2012
Alpha Protocol is hilarious, despite its early game jankiness everyone should bear with it for the first hour in order for the game to take off like a rocket. I played a goofball martial artist spy that got results done when the chips are down and I had a blast pummeling dudes in unarmed combat and shooting the ones that are too far away with my pistol.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

pentyne posted:

I 100%ed the whole game roughly 3 years or so ago. I guess they'd long sinced patched the difficulty the original console version had since then, as the only problem I had with it was a brief bit of trouble with climbing the netting, because my camera view would switch as I was jumping and push me in the opposite direction I'd been going.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Jerusalem posted:

I 100%ed the whole game roughly 3 years or so ago. I guess they'd long sinced patched the difficulty the original console version had since then, as the only problem I had with it was a brief bit of trouble with climbing the netting, because my camera view would switch as I was jumping and push me in the opposite direction I'd been going.

That's what I had happen when I bought it at original launch. The camera control was SO bad at that point, as well as the time limit or death mechanic, that I couldn't complete the game.

It was like playing a Mario game with the Resident Evil camera.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Alright, thanks for that. Sounds like I'll be skipping it.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Who the gently caress keeps coding games to not work on 3TB+ HDDs. I'm going to hurt someone.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
I bought Binary Domain in the greenmangaming bundle and it's pretty rad so far. I always wished for a Gears of War where the controls didn't feel like you were constantly stuck in quicksand.

Big Bo is my friend.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Big Bo is my personal hero.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pentyne posted:

That loving milkman/fbi what ever the gently caress they were chapter broke my will.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Having never played Psychonauts until literally just months ago, I'm of the opinion that the humor of the game still holds up today but the actual gameplay itself less so. For the most part the aged gameplay is inoffensive but there are a few notable mentions in the Milkman chapter and (obviously) Meat Circus.

Milkman chapter was just kinda unintuitive throughout and I had to constantly refer to a guide to figure out where I was expected to go next. The stage itself has a weird gravity thing going on and I found myself being flung off into orbit more than I'd like to be.

Meat Circus is supposedly less awful than it used to be and from what I understand it's because of more generous checkpoints. That being said it's still an exercise in frustration. The biggest problem, I feel, was the camera. It's really bad in the sections with the rotating dart board knife thrower thingamajigs and even worse in the section with the rising water where you have to climb up the spiral mesh and avoid the fire. ...yeah, I lost a ton of lives there.

It's still worth a playthrough and definitely worth picking up for a dollar, but I'm not entirely convinced the platforming holds up anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Springtime Goddess
Sep 2, 2006

oh no i put a stupid title text here when i registered in 2006 please how do i change it i am not good with computer

Kaubocks posted:

It's still worth a playthrough and definitely worth picking up for a dollar, but I'm not entirely convinced the platforming holds up anymore.

I'm not sure the platforming ever held up. I think it was always considered to be a typical Double Fine game: charming, quirky and original, but with mediocre gameplay.

It's still the best Double Fine game though.

• Locked thread