Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

I thought the whole thing was that when you lose to Fargo the first time, you're wagering your boat so you had to find a way to win in order to get off the Zelbess. Obviously you must not really lose the boat or else what NikkolasKing did wouldn't be possible but I remember that being the impetus to explore the rest of the ship and find out how to win.

Yeah I didn't know there was any way to get off the ship that didn't involve doing the whole cat sequence. I'm genuinely impressed because I played that game too many times and never found that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Nathilus posted:

It's not even really a sidequest its a major section of the game. I'm shocked that it's even skippable, forget about missable.

Maybe if you recruit Nikki in Termina. I didn't. First time I saw him was on tHE Zelbess about 20 hours into the game. And then if you don't talk to him at a specific part, you are forever locked out of doing anything more there. no Black Dragon boss, no Black plate, no Rainbow equipment.

If that's important, it shouldn't be pathetically easy to miss it and never notice until you post on the Internet.

Nate RFB posted:

I thought the whole thing was that when you lose to Fargo the first time, you're wagering your boat so you had to find a way to win in order to get off the Zelbess. Obviously you must not really lose the boat or else what NikkolasKing did wouldn't be possible but I remember that being the impetus to explore the rest of the ship and find out how to win.

What I did was this.
Lose to Fargo.
Go to Inn.
See Cat Hint.
Go to the little bar area.
Sneff turns you to cats.
Run to Inn and grab Handle.
Beat Fargo.
Leave.

I never thought about Nikki at all.

Okay, I don't think I left right away. I had to beat the Sage first and then leave. Still, I never got this optional scene with Nikki and Irenes. You're supposed to visit Nikki right after his concert but I left the ship and went around collecting Relics, including one from the Black Dragon. Thus I was screwed over for the rest of this playthrough.

EDIT:

Wait, I think the Zelbess was before Relic Hunting. The Sage was how we got into the Dead Sea and all that... Still, I left right away to do that and didn't stick around to talk to Nikki. Result was the same.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Sep 8, 2014

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
OK, it was just that your previous post seemed to imply you didn't actually turn into a cat and win. This is actually completely separate from the Marbule quest; I don't think beating Fargo is missable. You just have to talk to Nikki at some point after defeating the Sage and before going to the Dead Sea. Doesn't Nikki wander in at some point and like invite you to his ship or something?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Sorry for not being clearer. The last time I saw Nikki was when he talked to the Sage after the boss fight. If he invited me to his ship, I sure as heck don't remember it. I never even saw another ship or a way to get onto one.

You have to talk to him and recruit Irenes and then do a bunch of stuff in Marbule to wake up the Black Dragon. Somehow this allows Zappa to forge Rainbow equipment.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Well I finished Tales of Symphonia. I enjoyed it for the most part, but the whole psychological trap at the end was kinda dumb. Especially since vast story arcs of the game were spent resolving all those issues already.

The ending was fairly satisfying and wrapped up everything nicely. I think I'm going to give Dawn of the New World a try later just to see how it fucks it all up :shepicide:.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Well I finished Tales of Symphonia. I enjoyed it for the most part, but the whole psychological trap at the end was kinda dumb. Especially since vast story arcs of the game were spent resolving all those issues already.

The ending was fairly satisfying and wrapped up everything nicely. I think I'm going to give Dawn of the New World a try later just to see how it fucks it all up :shepicide:.

You probably shouldn't. There is an LP of that on the LP archive, though.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

NikkolasKing posted:

Sorry for not being clearer. The last time I saw Nikki was when he talked to the Sage after the boss fight. If he invited me to his ship, I sure as heck don't remember it. I never even saw another ship or a way to get onto one.

You have to talk to him and recruit Irenes and then do a bunch of stuff in Marbule to wake up the Black Dragon. Somehow this allows Zappa to forge Rainbow equipment.
Basically this should have happened: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgR_YHQGb-A&t=429s

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Well, you should look at the bright side: you fortunately screwed yourself out of having to watch that thing.

Also you can cheese Dario by exploiting his counter-spell AI. If you use a red element on him, he'll blow stamina on an insignificant debuff spell (Weaken I think?) so if you bring a character with high stamina regen (like Draggy) and equip all your Stamina Belts, you can stick him in a loop. Also put your black plate on poor Riddel in case you mess up; Dario has no issue with one-shotting his lover.

Heavy neutrino fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Sep 8, 2014

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

My friend bought me hatoful boyfriend for my birthday. I'm pretty sure I hate him now.

After half an hour of playing it I hate my life. I know it's supposed to get SUPER WACKY and CURVEBALLZ but is the payoff worth slogging through a japanese high school dating him?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ignite Memories posted:

My friend bought me hatoful boyfriend for my birthday. I'm pretty sure I hate him now.

After half an hour of playing it I hate my life. I know it's supposed to get SUPER WACKY and CURVEBALLZ but is the payoff worth slogging through a japanese high school dating him?

That psychological horror tag on Steam isn't kidding.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
When the hell do you actually date, though? I saw a video series that involved no dating, but like 100x more murder.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Ignite Memories posted:

Yes.

Go for the school doctor, Shuu.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I'm not sure how you go about ower-leveling for a game with a system like this but I think I was over-leveled for the last arc of Chrono Cross. Serge or Karsh alone could take down every enemy we came across with just two of their strong attacks. All the bosses did practically zero damage once you did Diminish and you could knock off all their HP with just a couple rounds of Karsh and Serge whacking at them with melee attacks. I recall back at the start of the game Elements were the only way to do any substantive damage but now they are best used as healing and not much else. Maybe buffs like Eagle Eye or Ninety-Nine so your physical attacks are even more brokenly powerful.

It's not like this or Trigger were terribly hard games but....I dunno. I would have thought the bosses would at least have more HP. I accidentally beat the Time Devourer while trying to test out how to get the real ending. I just didn't expect it to die that quick. I still got the real ending though on a second attempt and I am damned sure it all has to be luck. I kept Serge on standby with a full Stamina Bar while I used Karsh's and Kid's built up Stamina to do everything up to White. Then the boss got its...her...whatever turn and I was worried but luckily the move they chose was Photon Beam - a White Element to complete the pattern. So that made me happy.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Sep 8, 2014

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
There is a way to get the true ending that will always succeed, as far as I can remember. You basically just have to put a mixture of colors in everyone's lower grid levels, attack until everyone's elemental grid is maxed out, defend until their stamina is full, and then initiate the sequence with Serge. The final boss isn't able to get a single turn in to disrupt it.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Nate RFB posted:

There is a way to get the true ending that will always succeed, as far as I can remember. You basically just have to put a mixture of colors in everyone's lower grid levels, attack until everyone's elemental grid is maxed out, defend until their stamina is full, and then initiate the sequence with Serge. The final boss isn't able to get a single turn in to disrupt it.
I thought after stamina was full you waited for it to use an element color that's the start of the sequence.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated
So I have a huge RPG backlog with more coming. I am playing Xillia, Divinity Origins, KoA, D3 on PS4, some Skyrim and about dozen more JRPGs... And I am back to BG2 play through. I haven't ran the game in years and going back to it everything still clicks. I am really surprised how well the game still holds up.

Playing with EE edition and some mods on top works really well, gameplay is superb, there is a ton of voicework and especially backgrounds are very well drawn. I am really hopeful that Pillars of Eternity can recapture this spirit. As an overall package its still the best RPG that I have ever played and still playing.

Edit: I realized that I bought this game at least 5 times throughout the years. Original, D&D collection, GoG version, EE on steam and iOS... Still worth it.

oblomov fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Sep 8, 2014

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

oblomov posted:

So I have a huge RPG backlog with more coming. I am playing Xillia, Divinity Origins, KoA, D3 on PS4, some Skyrim and about dozen more JRPGs... And I am back to BG2 play through. I haven't ran the game in years and going back to it everything still clicks. I am really surprised how well the game still holds up.

Playing with EE edition and some mods on top works really well, gameplay is superb, there is a ton of voicework and especially backgrounds are very well drawn. I am really hopeful that Pillars of Eternity can recapture this spirit. As an overall package its still the best RPG that I have ever played and still playing.

Edit: I realized that I bought this game at least 5 times throughout the years. Original, D&D collection, GoG version, EE on steam and iOS... Still worth it.

I hear that the EE version is just the GoG version with some mods. Comfirm/Deny?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Zereth posted:

I thought after stamina was full you waited for it to use an element color that's the start of the sequence.
I really want to say it's not necessary, maybe I'm forgetting something like Stamina-boosting equipment as an extra. It's something to do with the boss "locking up" at some point during the sequence where he won't do anything for a certain number of turns unless you use magic. I want to say it's when you get to the Black/White portion. Anyway, even if you do have to wait for it to cast the first spell it's still really easy to accomplish.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

RadicalR posted:

I hear that the EE version is just the GoG version with some mods. Comfirm/Deny?

Not quite. It certainly incorporates a few things mods can do but the EE have scalable fonts, the ability to zoom in and out and new NPCs and areas that mods don't have.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Not quite. It certainly incorporates a few things mods can do but the EE have scalable fonts, the ability to zoom in and out and new NPCs and areas that mods don't have.

That is correct, plus they were able to cleanup certain things that you couldn't do with mods without source code. For example you don't need the fixpack as its integrated natively.

It was worth $10 to me on Steam. iPad is more of a novelty though.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Ignite Memories posted:

Yes.

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011
So I just got finished playing the combat demo for Battle Brothers ( http://battlebrothersgame.com/ ), an in progress indie tactical turn based combat RPG. It really got me interested, I was wondering if there are similar RPGs out now, and which are the good ones? I'm looking for something medieval or fantasy, with more tactical, turn based combat, kind of like the Fire Emblem games. My only caveat is that I'm not really into anime stuff, not that I hate it, it just really isn't my thing. Any suggestions?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Out of curiosity, what is everyone's favorite piece of music in Chrono Cross?

Like many I have some...qualms about the last arc of the game but one bit that was absolutely perfect was the Kid flashback.
I know some are fond of "Schala's Theme" but I prefer Schala's theme.
And on top of that there was Orphanage of Flame as the "dungeon music." It really conveyed the nightmarish feeling of the whole thing.

And then there was Dead Sea. It's no coincidence the best area in the game (IMO) had the best theme.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Sep 9, 2014

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

NikkolasKing posted:

Out of curiosity, what is everyone's favorite piece of music in Chrono Cross?

Dreams of the Shore Near Another World is just absolutely drat perfect. It's a shame you don't have to spend more than like 30-45 seconds at one time on the portions of the another world map it plays on.

I agree that the dead sea theme is also really good. Just not the best.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

I'm a fan of the Home World voyage music.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003
I missed the Chrono Trigger music chat, but s'all good because Cross has an equally awesome soundtrack

Scars of Time and Dreams of the Shore Near Another World for sure, but those usually go without saying. There's a remix of the later that I really enjoy.

My favorites are the chill pieces you get in most towns and the world map. Arni Village and Voyage Another World both have an acoustic guitar paired with one other instrument and it's just great. There's a lot of that guitar string sliding sound too which I love, but I have no idea what the proper term for it is. Guldove has a really nice guitar sound going on too.

Prisoners of Fate is a great event track. It's the piece that plays during your fight with Miguel, and it's the total opposite of the high energy battle music that you get everywhere else.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Dead sea is probably my favorite, although I also love 'the god of destiny'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iIJ88ANKyA

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Pb and Jellyfish posted:

So I just got finished playing the combat demo for Battle Brothers ( http://battlebrothersgame.com/ ), an in progress indie tactical turn based combat RPG. It really got me interested, I was wondering if there are similar RPGs out now, and which are the good ones? I'm looking for something medieval or fantasy, with more tactical, turn based combat, kind of like the Fire Emblem games. My only caveat is that I'm not really into anime stuff, not that I hate it, it just really isn't my thing. Any suggestions?
Banner Saga, perhaps? That should hit most of your requirements.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Honestly I don't think you can beat the intro music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=923fVDDwaHo

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Star Stealing Girl is probably my favorite, but seriously that whole soundtrack is amazing. Don't forget Radical Dreamers, the credits song.

There's also this one which would've played during the Save Marbule portion :v:

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Nate RFB posted:

seriously that whole soundtrack is amazing.

This is a false statement because Gale exists. Probably the most common song in the game and it is the absolute worst.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Yeah I don't know what happened there. The Trigger normal battle theme was way better.

I was very underwhelmed by CC's soundtrack to start off with between that terrible battle music and the Home World Map theme. Luckily I soon heard the Another World Map theme and it was all uphill from there.

For being relatively minor characters, the Acacia Dragoons have one of the best tracks in the game. I almost want to do my next playthrough using a team of Karsh, Marcy and ZOAH. Alto this song will be playing on my comp at all times. It really should have played during their final boss fight. The Dragoons even get their own ending I think where they fight Lynx or DarK Serge or whatever you want to call him? I'm gonna try for that during my next playthrough.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Sep 9, 2014

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Prisoners of Fate is my favourite, though Dreams of a Shore Near Another World is probably actually the best one

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

Nate RFB posted:

Star Stealing Girl is probably my favorite, but seriously that whole soundtrack is amazing. Don't forget Radical Dreamers, the credits song.

There's also this one which would've played during the Save Marbule portion :v:

I prefer Radical Dreamers' version of Radical Dreamers. Frozen Flame is pretty good too.

I think I like Radical Dreamers' Gale (the battle theme) a bit more too, but maybe that's because I've heard the Chrono Cross version so much and just sort of want it to stop playing forever. The battle theme is one of the weakest parts of the soundtrack for me, and that's a bummer because it's the drat battle theme so it's constantly playing.

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011

Daler Mehndi posted:

Banner Saga, perhaps? That should hit most of your requirements.

Yeah, I should have mentioned that I have played that. Anything else in a similar vein (tactical turn based RPG)?

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

BloodWulfe posted:

I prefer Radical Dreamers' version of Radical Dreamers. Frozen Flame is pretty good too.

I think I like Radical Dreamers' Gale (the battle theme) a bit more too, but maybe that's because I've heard the Chrono Cross version so much and just sort of want it to stop playing forever. The battle theme is one of the weakest parts of the soundtrack for me, and that's a bummer because it's the drat battle theme so it's constantly playing.

I unconditionally love Radical Dreamers, and I am in complete agreement with you.

Then again, considering my username and my history, this is a given, huh?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Friendly Factory posted:

The good characters are as follows:

Serge, Kid, Guile, Norris, Glenn, Radius, Fargo, Greco. All but two of them join automagically. I'm fond of other characters that you can recruit, but these are the only ones I feel should have been recruitable (aside from the two spoiler characters).

Nate RFB posted:

Karsh is pretty good too. He was my go-to Green in any run that didn't have Glenn.

Now I've finished the game, I'd agree with all of this. I might swap out Guile though because he appears to have been crippled on account of not being Magus. That was his character so when they removed it, he had no character. I'd probably put Harle in his spot.
And I included that response because I agree with Karsh being part of the smaller "necessary character" lineup.

Who was everyone's favorite characters in Cross? Can be a story or gameplay thing.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

Who was everyone's favorite characters in Cross? Can be a story or gameplay thing.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Gonna have to recruit him my next run.

Also, Masato Kato gets a lot of flack for "hating Chrono Trigger" but I get the very real impression he probably only hated Lucca. The rest of the CT cast he could take or leave (with the exception of Robo who is closely tied to Lucca anyway) but I'm reminded tha tKato wrote the Lahan section of Xenogears and there was a Lucca clone there who gets vaporized with everyone else. So he killed her off twice. I'm not sure why but that's how it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Thanks a lot, everyone. Now you've got me reading the Dark Id's Chrono Cross LP again.

Nikki: I saw the way you fought back there. ”A vicious 3-on-1 beating of a cornered old man with a mop has impressed me."

EDIT: Worth it.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Sep 11, 2014