Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Gharbad the Weak posted:

We have a goddamn rabbit in our group, I think Prausia can have a tail if she darn well wants a tail.
Yeah, that's fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maekrix Waere
Jul 10, 2010

Gharbad the Weak posted:

We have a goddamn rabbit in our group, I think Prausia can have a tail if she darn well wants a tail.

I'd just like to be explicit that anything I talk about from a cruch perspective, is not making judgment on the fluff. Please, by all means, keep the fluff, the fluff is incredible, I love it. I'm just saying that 3.5 is a system where, while fluff and crunch should inform each other a little bit, they absolutely shouldn't bind each other. Like, just because someone wants to play a Yuan-Ti Wizard with a snake tail, doesn't mean they should have to take the rules for a YT Halfblood (Counts as a level 12!), then have to roll between 81 and 100 on a d100 in order to get that snake tail, and THEN have to bolt Wizard levels on top of those 12 levels they're already spending just to try and attempt to be what they want. That's just unnecessarily restrictive bullshit.

Personally, with 3.5, I don't really care about fluff when it comes to crunch, and I care very little about crunch when it comes to fluff. If the crunch is balanced in relation to the other players, I'm not about to tell you what color you can paint it, so long as acting you're acting in good faith and the fluff is reasonable within the bounds of the story being told.

Maekrix Waere fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Sep 16, 2014

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

(Oh, Poorweather, I forgot to say that the origin of your character's name is loving rad.)

Nihilarian posted:

3.5 is absolutely not a system you want to teach new players. I still play it, but only because I learned it back when it was the only game in town and I know it well enough to create good, fun characters. Nowadays, there are just so many systems that are simpler and/or better balanced. You guys already know about 4e, Dungeon World and 13th Age, but I also quite like Legend.

Legend sounds pretty cool. It's free too! :D Anyone want to get a game going using it?

PoorWeather
Nov 4, 2009

Don't worry, everybody has those days.

Nihilarian posted:

Are you sure? Yuan-Ti Purebloods are also the Yuan-Ti who have legs. Here are the stats I found. For some reason that wiki doesn't have Yuan-Ti Halfblood stats, which is what I assumed your character was (since they have snake tails).

I think you missed the edit I made where I said that I had to use the halfblood stats because there were no other good Yuan-Ti options around at all. My bad for not clarifying at first!

Also, for the record, I'm sort of deliberately trying to make Prausia awkward and knick-knacky in mechanical terms, which is the reason I went for this race as opposed to a reskin, and why I will probably continue to make kind of dubious character development decisions into the future. I have a lot of experience playing 3.5 - More so then any other system - And I've mostly played spellcasters, so I of course know all the ways to make a gamebreaking abomination wizard, if I were in the market.

But, in the interests of the enjoyment of the rest of the party and the people watching, as well as Medibots hairline, I am not going to do that.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

tlarn posted:

Better than me. I just went for a name that sounded vaguely Norse for my Dwarf Fighter for this 3.5 campaign at a local hobby store. Went with Brondr for the first name and then Bronzebeard for the last name. Introduced my dude to NPCs like "My name is Brondr Bronzebeard," then he flexes, "but the ladies call me BronBron."

My first tabletop character was literally "Flowers for Algernon" reversed in french.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Drakkel posted:

My first tabletop character was literally "Flowers for Algernon" reversed in french.

I went through an Alucard phase when I first started D&D, where I thought spelling my real name backwards was SO clever and made a good character name.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Nihilarian posted:

3.5 is absolutely not a system you want to teach new players. I still play it, but only because I learned it back when it was the only game in town and I know it well enough to create good, fun characters. Nowadays, there are just so many systems that are simpler and/or better balanced. You guys already know about 4e, Dungeon World and 13th Age, but I also quite like Legend.

Legend allows you to turn any character into a Kamen Rider and has explicit parkour rules. It is demonstrably The Illest.

ikks
Sep 6, 2009

You can get anything you want at malice's restaurant

djw175 posted:

What almagamation of classes is Kit? Because I don't think it's working well for her.

one of each.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

D_W posted:

(Oh, Poorweather, I forgot to say that the origin of your character's name is loving rad.)

Legend sounds pretty cool. It's free too! :D Anyone want to get a game going using it?
I made a character for Legend maybe 3 years ago, but ended up getting passed over for someone else. I've never seen another game run.

PoorWeather posted:

I think you missed the edit I made where I said that I had to use the halfblood stats because there were no other good Yuan-Ti options around at all. My bad for not clarifying at first!

Also, for the record, I'm sort of deliberately trying to make Prausia awkward and knick-knacky in mechanical terms, which is the reason I went for this race as opposed to a reskin, and why I will probably continue to make kind of dubious character development decisions into the future. I have a lot of experience playing 3.5 - More so then any other system - And I've mostly played spellcasters, so I of course know all the ways to make a gamebreaking abomination wizard, if I were in the market.

But, in the interests of the enjoyment of the rest of the party and the people watching, as well as Medibots hairline, I am not going to do that.
Sorry, I wasn't trying to criticize you or anything, I was just worried there might have been a miscommunication. It's good to know you didn't walk into it accidentally.

Drakkel posted:

When I made my first character I had just read Ender's Game, and thought "Ender" would make a rad nickname for a barbarian. God that was silly, in retrospect. And it's not the worst name I've given a character, either. So taking Greek words and turning them into names seems like a great idea to me.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Are there still going to be the "Wolfshirt explains" segments now that it's 3.5e or is that not really his forte?

John Liver
May 4, 2009

ikks posted:

one of each.

"What's your character class?"

"Assorted."

Umbilical Lotus
Nov 13, 2005

OH NO!!!! AXE CUT YOU!!!!

Aurora posted:

Are there still going to be the "Wolfshirt explains" segments now that it's 3.5e or is that not really his forte?

But we have Gharbad!

I'm just waiting for someone to grapple something and the entire group to groan in unison.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Aurora posted:

It'll be "Poorweather Explains" and the segment will be 4 hours long as she tries to make the rules of this nonsense game make sense.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

ikks posted:

one of each.

The classiest motherfakka at the table.

AhrimanPK
Oct 9, 2012

'Ello 'Ello 'Ello

My name's Clive Owen!

PoorWeather posted:

I have a lot of experience playing 3.5 - More so then any other system - And I've mostly played spellcasters, so I of course know all the ways to make a gamebreaking abomination wizard, if I were in the market.

Oh dear, I was hoping you'd be using this build,

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Magic_Missile_Stormer_%283.5e_Optimized_Character_Build%29

Don't like Magic Missile? What if it was doing 56d4+112 damage per round? All you need to do is follow this build, and hate fun.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

PoorWeather posted:

Additionally, at level 4, (level 7 for everyone else) she'll get five spell-like abilities for free. Animal Trance, Cause Fear, Entangle, Darkness, and Charm Person.

Actually, she should have those already! The "at caster level 4" part doesn't mean that she needs to have 4 levels in a casting class to use them, it just means that if the spells have any bits that are affected by the level of the caster, you use 4 instead of Prausia's actual level. For instance, Animal Trance has a range of "Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)", so Prausia's racial version of the spell has a range of 35 feet.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Night10194 posted:

I just know I had a cleric of Bane who was gonna go around and take out her frustrations about the rest of her party on some chumps' faces with the destruction smite+Power attack and her 3.5 facsimile of a Power Fist, until one of the other players pointed out it was a light weapon and the DM told me I was no longer allowed to punch out dragons for personal gain.

gently caress 3.5, is what I'm saying. I built a PC to punch dragons for imperialism and was told punching harder cannot be done.

Warforged battlefist. There's always a way.

Brassherald
Feb 3, 2012

Wait, I'm the one who calls people buttheads!
I know Tome of Battle talk was a little bit back, but, really its the best book because it finally made viable melee fighters. Really, outside of that, if you look at any class that cannot use magic or supernatural powers to fight, they are really bad.

To note also, one really underappreciated class I feel is worth mentioning that will likely never make its way into the game is the Factotum. Basically the skill monkey of the gods which is also the jack-of-all-trades class that Gharbad mentioned in his Tome of Battle post. They key completely off of intelligence can cast a limited number of arcane and divine spells, actually get intelligence bonus to defense and possibly also to hit. But, the main reason you want to play one is that every skill is a class skill for the factotum.

So, in conclusion, Tome of Battle classes are awesome. And, go check out the factotum because they replaced rogues.

Robust Laser
Oct 13, 2012

Dance, Spaceman, Dance!

Bruceski posted:

I went through an Alucard phase when I first started D&D, where I thought spelling my real name backwards was SO clever and made a good character name.

My first D&D character was just literally me. Used my own name and made no claims that it was anything other than me but good at swords.

I didn't really understand the idea of creating, y'know, a character back then apparently.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Brassherald posted:

I know Tome of Battle talk was a little bit back, but, really its the best book because it finally made viable melee fighters. Really, outside of that, if you look at any class that cannot use magic or supernatural powers to fight, they are really bad.

After getting the Tome of Battle and reading through it, I put my players up against some NPCs with classes from it, and then gave them the opportunity (through ~magical plot device~ naturally) to reclass into an appropriate class from the book. Unsurprisingly, most of the martial characters took that opportunity.

ZOOP MASTER 50 CAL
Apr 14, 2004

baby hipster pope

Doc V posted:

Actually, she should have those already! The "at caster level 4" part doesn't mean that she needs to have 4 levels in a casting class to use them, it just means that if the spells have any bits that are affected by the level of the caster, you use 4 instead of Prausia's actual level. For instance, Animal Trance has a range of "Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)", so Prausia's racial version of the spell has a range of 35 feet.

Technically speaking, this is only partially correct. She does have access to the spell-like abilities that are noted as being available starting at caster level 4. However, when using these spell-like abilities, any reference to "caster level" in the spell-like ability's description uses the average of her total level, including level adjustments, and her highest class level. There's an optional feature she can choose to take that will allow her to always use her total level instead, but this carries the potential penalty that she will take a -2 to all saving throws made to use racial spell-like abilities while inside an antimagic field or under similar magic-suppressing effects. At level 8, this penalty is reduced to -1, and at level 16, the penalty is eliminated. Note that if two or more characters in the same party take this optional feature, the saving throw penalty is doubled for each friendly character within 30 feet that has taken the feature.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
So many chargen traps. So many poorly explained massively conflicting rules.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Brassherald posted:

I know Tome of Battle talk was a little bit back, but

but the Tome of Battle discussion is never over

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Brassherald posted:

To note also, one really underappreciated class I feel is worth mentioning that will likely never make its way into the game is the Factotum. Basically the skill monkey of the gods which is also the jack-of-all-trades class that Gharbad mentioned in his Tome of Battle post. They key completely off of intelligence can cast a limited number of arcane and divine spells, actually get intelligence bonus to defense and possibly also to hit. But, the main reason you want to play one is that every skill is a class skill for the factotum.

So, in conclusion, Tome of Battle classes are awesome. And, go check out the factotum because they replaced rogues.
The factotum is interesting, but sort of complicated in play. Especially for a newbie. For a simpler and more consistent (but not necessarily better) skillmonkey, I like the Psychic Rogue. They're both good, though.

PoorWeather
Nov 4, 2009

Don't worry, everybody has those days.

medibot posted:

Technically speaking, this is only partially correct. She does have access to the spell-like abilities that are noted as being available starting at caster level 4. However, when using these spell-like abilities, any reference to "caster level" in the spell-like ability's description uses the average of her total level, including level adjustments, and her highest class level. There's an optional feature she can choose to take that will allow her to always use her total level instead, but this carries the potential penalty that she will take a -2 to all saving throws made to use racial spell-like abilities while inside an antimagic field or under similar magic-suppressing effects. At level 8, this penalty is reduced to -1, and at level 16, the penalty is eliminated. Note that if two or more characters in the same party take this optional feature, the saving throw penalty is doubled for each friendly character within 30 feet that has taken the feature.

The best part is, even I can't tell/recall if this is real or satire intended to defend my misunderstanding of the rules.

TCat
Oct 10, 2012

I'll save you the time and call myself a loser
I like how you can tell PoorWeather didn't prepare Mage Armor because she keeps whining about low health, even though she could have a +4 bonus to AC for the entire dungeon if she casted it. That's literally the one thing at low level that makes Wizards better is they can just go "Nuh uh you can't shoot me, I have a magic shield that stops bullets." like a kid on the playground. If you're daily prepared spells at level 1-2 are not just Mage Armor, Sleep, and Grease- you're doing it wrong.

As for the jokes about people in video saying "haha casters aren't broken" you have to remember that most people on the internet do not play D&D below level 10 for some stupid as hell reason, and at that point Casters literally do just nuke playing fields.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Yeah, Wizards take a while to get going, but when they do, they trivialize so many encounters that aren't explicitly made to make a Wizard burn most or all their spells per day. And someone who knows what they're doing can flip their Wizard's nuke-switch pretty early.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I would entirely believe it. There are so many rules, and they contradict, complicate, counteract and conflict with each other in a confoundingly cruel cavalcade of cluttering criteria.

And probably some more words that would alliterate nicely.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

PoorWeather posted:

The best part is, even I can't tell/recall if this is real or satire intended to defend my misunderstanding of the rules.
Unless there's a houserule stating otherwise, medibot's comment is patent nonsense that's making fun of the actual convolutions within the rules. Racial SLAs tend to work either at a fixed caster level or at the character's hit dice. Common among houserules is that they use your effective character level instead (or some other calculation), but that's technically a houserule.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

TCat posted:

I like how you can tell PoorWeather didn't prepare Mage Armor because she keeps whining about low health, even though she could have a +4 bonus to AC for the entire dungeon if she casted it. That's literally the one thing at low level that makes Wizards better is they can just go "Nuh uh you can't shoot me, I have a magic shield that stops bullets." like a kid on the playground. If you're daily prepared spells at level 1-2 are not just Mage Armor, Sleep, and Grease- you're doing it wrong.

She used Mage Armor on Joey though.

TCat
Oct 10, 2012

I'll save you the time and call myself a loser

RBA Starblade posted:

She used Mage Armor on Joey though.

She did?
She did.

Okay nevermind she's just bad at spellcasting because the reach on Mage Armor is Touch as in you have to touch someone, which is why it is used primarily as a self buff for people that can die from being sneezed on like Wizards. As in the kind with 6 health. That can't stop talking about it.
And that whole wiggling with the rules on it is really ridiculous, I'm sorry.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

TCat posted:

Okay nevermind she's just bad at spellcasting because the reach on Mage Armor is Touch as in you have to touch someone, which is why it is used primarily as a self buff for people that can die from being sneezed on like Wizards. As in the kind with 6 health. That can't stop talking about it.
And that whole wiggling with the rules on it is really ridiculous, I'm sorry.

Shocking Grasp is also a touch spell and people don't use that on themselves. Plenty of cleric and wizard buffs/healing have a range of touch and are best cast on other members of the party. Range of touch just means it's best cast before combat if not an offensive spell and with sufficient duration. I suppose if you're playing your wizard as Monk they could use that as an excuse to not buff other people.

People cast Mage Armor on themselves because the mage is usually squishy, it doesn't stack with other armor (it's an Armor Bonus, not an Enhancement Bonus), and when discussing buffs/builds theorycrafters tend to either assume the build exists in a vacuum alone or is a greedy bastard who would sooner see their companions wiped out than give up a +1 to some minor skill.

NextSundayA.D.
May 13, 2009
I'm pretty sure you can cast mage armor on other players. There's no ridiculous wiggling of any rules or am I crazy?
I looked up the spell and I'm not.

Edit: Also, I think she keeps mentioning her HP as part of her joke build. I think this is were your misunderstanding what makes a player "bad at spellcasting" is coming from TCat.

NextSundayA.D. fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Sep 16, 2014

Whycalibur
Oct 17, 2013
The idea that you are "doing it wrong" while having fun in a game with friends is hilarious. Keep doing it "wrong," gang. We're enjoying it.

Thistledown
Dec 18, 2009
I think efficient character building and minmaxing are only fun in a theoretical sense. I've never once had fun when they're put into play. They're the crunch version of Jimmy the Fighter. It's fun to imagine Jimmy the Fighter being the ultimate out of place wet noodle, but actually having Jimmy the Fighter in your party? Kills everything, just like it did beforehand, but you're actually dealing with it.

Please keep having fun, Fun Havers.

WolfShirt
May 8, 2007

Pretty pretty pony pony pretty pony pon pon
Just because we switched to 3.5 doesn't mean we've stopped ignoring rules. If anything there's only more rules to ignore now.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
And because 3.5 has been around forever with an edition that came after it that streamlined the hell out of the experience, it's easy to figure out which rules to leave as is, modify, or ignore in their entirety.

:eng101: My rule of thumb on hyper efficient min/maxing in tabletop stuff or anything in general is to only do it when everyone involved is in agreement that they'll participate in doing it. If there's even one person who doesn't know how to do it or refuses to participate, you don't do it. If it's anything that kills the good vibes in the group, it's having That One Guy.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!
The only thing as absurd as wizards in 3.5 are clerics. High level clerics with the right domains are terrifying. And they also don't explode when you look at them like a wizard does at low levels.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
Let me tell you about the Archivist, which is literally Cleric+

Also about my buddy the Druid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The Cleric, the Druid and the Wizard are all very strong guys from core. The Archivist (divine wizard), Artificer (magic item crafter) and Erudite (psionic wizard) join the big 3 when you go to noncore material.

... But this may be getting a bit far afield.

WolfShirt posted:

Just because we switched to 3.5 doesn't mean we've stopped ignoring rules. If anything there's only more rules to ignore now.
If you have to play 3.5, this is the best way. Just go with what's cooler/funnier at the time.

• Locked thread