Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Reb posted:

So between lovely melee combat, lots of bugs and combat not being that great, I should wait for a sale or at least for them to patch the game to a better state?

The game is very good in my opinion. Obviously the guy you quoted isn't crazy about it, and that's fine too, different opinions. But you'd have to be cherry picking posts in this thread to come away with the idea that most people aren't enjoying it. By all means if you don't want to buy it now save your money and wait for a sale, but the game is well worth spending money on even in "it's current state".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Rougey posted:

:getin:
Next game, create a 10 Charisma, 10 Intelligence Chanter “Doctor Dolittle” and dump all points in Animal Whisperer, ignore radio tower and wander around grinding for a bit to try and max it out.

There better be some horribly priced Toad Armor DLC.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Reb posted:

So between lovely melee combat, lots of bugs and combat not being that great, I should wait for a sale or at least for them to patch the game to a better state?
You could always wait for better patch support (sounds like the worst of the instability's in the back half of the game), but the combat is what it is. From the sound of things, how well you fare with the loot RNG has just as much if not more impact on your combat performance than the to-hit RNG. You could end up fine, you could end up slogging through your first several levels in the 30-60% to hit range.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Basic Chunnel posted:

You could end up fine, you could end up slogging through your first several levels in the 30-60% to hit range.

My characters were never anywhere near as low as 30 percent, right from the jump at level 1 with the starting gear.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Rougey posted:

TBH I just murdered the crap out of them all and backed the Diamondback Militia.

I’m fairly certain that choice is going to come back and bite me in the arse.

Speculation Diamondbacks are the real fanatics DUN DUN DUNH

No speculation needed. There are 2 separate quests in the valley that are only there to hammer in how they are no better then the other raiders.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Man I just followed the loving tortoise the whole way. This game is the loving best.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

LibbyM posted:

My characters were never anywhere near as low as 30 percent, right from the jump at level 1 with the starting gear.
My nailboard-wielding hoss just hit level 6 and passed the threshold beyond which he had a 70% base hit chance before evasion. And that's the guy who just went all-in for combat skill and attribute spec. This is not Fallout, where you can escape the caprice of the RNG by pumping a full level or two into combat skills.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

LibbyM posted:

If you do Ag Center first you're likely to have around a ~35% hit chance against the rabbits, but other than that - yeah. Any lower than ~55-60% means the enemy is behind cover and you're not flanking. I haven't seen anything else that has crazy high evasion like the rabbits do.

Reb
Sep 13, 2002

"...But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."

Funnypost Collabo posted:

I find the combat in this game leaps and bounds beyond the old Fallout games. Mechanically it is nearly identical to the recent XCOM game with a few differences: no active skills, the equivalent of low cover is crouching which you can do anywhere, AP based instead of two-actions, and turns are per-character instead of per-team. [B]It's a very combat-centric game as opposed to Fallout[B] - a good thing in my opinion, but obviously not for everyone.

There are bugs but it's not even close to the buggiest game I've played and I haven't run in to any that actually frustrated me or hindered my progress.

You can wait for a sale if you want though! That's entirely up to you and how much you're willing to spend on a videogame.

Yeah, opinions are a bit all over the place with this one, was just looking for more information. While I wouldn't mind a more combat centric game, it's nothing like Fallout Tactics though is it?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I haven't played a whole lot of Fallout Tactics but I think it's actually a pretty good comparison, except it's an open-world RPG instead of mission based. RPG kind of stuff happens in short stretches between encounters and in quest hubs, but most of your time is spent fighting or using your skills to basically access loot containers or interact with objects to progress quests.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Reb posted:

This is a really good game, I honestly don't know what people are bitching about outside the graphics issues (I did beat Fallout 30 times). My melee characters don't seem to be awful at all.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

Did you do rail nomad first? I think the "proper progression" is to do Ag Center/Highpool --> Rail Nomads ---> Prison

Nope! I didn't actually go into Prison though, just the outliers. My NPC's were all "Uh maybe we should come back later" and I took the hint. Guess I'll go check out Rail once I get some Rad suits.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I used a character guide to make my team and now I hate them. :( Keep whiffing dude with a pistol.

e: could someone give me a list of what photos that are absolutely hideous to delete, because holy hell a few of these are just a mess of pixels.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Turtlicious posted:

I used a character guide to make my team and now I hate them. :( Keep whiffing dude with a pistol.

e: could someone give me a list of what photos that are absolutely hideous to delete, because holy hell a few of these are just a mess of pixels.

Pistols are definitely not to be used as a primary weapon, they just don't have the range or penetration. Keep them as back up for a sniper/assault rifle guy.

also shotguns(except the last one) are bad and heavy weapons jam too much

also i completely forgot that smgs were a thing in this game. They would probably be a better secondary than pistols tbh

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Sep 22, 2014

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Funnypost Collabo posted:

Mechanically it is nearly identical to the recent XCOM game with a few differences: no active skills, the equivalent of low cover is crouching which you can do anywhere, AP based instead of two-actions, and turns are per-character instead of per-team. It's a very combat-centric game as opposed to Fallout - a good thing in my opinion, but obviously not for everyone.

all of these things make it really really really different, mechanically, from XCOM. i guess, other than that you click things and stuff happens. like nothing in this game and xcom carry over, other than clicking, and you miss a lot ??

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
SMGs are pretty good, at least early on. They're basically weaker assault rifles, which is what you'd expect, but they're pretty good at their job which is close range spam against unarmored targets. They use .38 cal bullets which are the most abundant (at least in my experience) so you're never short, and go well paired with energy weapons on a character with decent movement to act as a short range blocker for your snipers/AR guys.

Also I edited a save game to get 100% with the animal whisper whistle to test out what happens if you 'befriend' the toad in the tutorial area cave, and he just happily bounces around a few times and disappears. No killer toad buddy :(

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Roobanguy posted:

Pistols are definitely not to be used as a primary weapon, they just don't have the range or penetration. Keep them as back up for a sniper/assault rifle guy.

also shotguns(except the last one) are bad and heavy weapons jam too much

also i completely forgot that smgs were a thing in this game. They would probably be a better secondary than pistols tbh
SMGs are deffo a better choice than Pistols, my utility gal mains with an SMG and holds her own, however they cost more AP to use - the MAC10 is like 5AP and I can put another AR round into a target for that.

Shotgun wise, I found the lever action with a narrow choke usable, while the longer over/under double barrel is a loving godsend, with 11 AP being able to get three of those shells off a turn shreds soft targets.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

VDay posted:

SMGs are pretty good, at least early on. They're basically weaker assault rifles, which is what you'd expect, but they're pretty good at their job which is close range spam against unarmored targets. They use .38 cal bullets which are the most abundant (at least in my experience) so you're never short, and go well paired with energy weapons on a character with decent movement to act as a short range blocker for your snipers/AR guys.

Also I edited a save game to get 100% with the animal whisper whistle to test out what happens if you 'befriend' the toad in the tutorial area cave, and he just happily bounces around a few times and disappears. No killer toad buddy :(

SMGs are still good midway through California.

I use one on my hacker/safecracker person.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Heavy Weapons are the worst since you can't mod them at all. With no way to lower the jam rate you pretty much just have to hope you can shoot all the bullets and have them hit.

Pistols are a decent secondary weapon with their high crit, but I think I'd rather go SMGs since they share the same ammo pool. The higher level mods are fantastic for improving the range and hit rate of your guns.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Desert Ranger Madoka Magica

Apologies to the anime-phobic out there.

Ohmygodsquad
Dec 14, 2005
Can I just say I love the use of the radio in this game? Fallout 3 and new vegas had the great music you could listen to but it rarely gave you the sense of desolation of patrolling the wasteland. The old fallouts did it great with their weird music but picking up weird broadcasts and radioing in for level ups really gives the sense that you're out there alone.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Rougey posted:

SMGs are deffo a better choice than Pistols, my utility gal mains with an SMG and holds her own, however they cost more AP to use - the MAC10 is like 5AP and I can put another AR round into a target for that.

Shotgun wise, I found the lever action with a narrow choke usable, while the longer over/under double barrel is a loving godsend, with 11 AP being able to get three of those shells off a turn shreds soft targets.

I don't know, shotguns just seemed way to weak for me, excluding the last shotgun. When you can get an m16(which does like 35-50 damage in a single shot, and comes with burst which will kill just about anything in Arizona) right when you can enter Ranger Citadel, or a shotgun that can shoot 3 times every other turn that does around 20-30 damage a shot and has lovely AP, I'd rather have 2 people running m16s, or someone with a smg so I actually have someone using all that pistol ammo I find.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i just like hearing that good boy in able squad talk about helping folks

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Rougey posted:

I’m fairly certain it depends on your characters intelligence – I was able to get the last level of surgeon for a character with max intelligence using a book, but if I were to attempt it on a character with six intelligence I might not be able to use it.

I don't know which skills have this requirement, but some skills have attribute requirements. Having a 10 in surgery, for example, requires 10 intelligence.

Also just to confirm since this gets asked quite a bit, but you can use skill books to max a skill and level it from 9 to 10, assuming you meet the skill's attribute requirement (if it's one of those skills). This means you should always save all your skill books for later in the game since then you'll be saving 8 SP instead of just 2 or 4 if you use them to go to level 3 or 4 on a skill.

Now someone just has to figure out if there are multiple skill books per skill, and then we'll know whether you should min/max any skills and never level them past 8 or 9 and just get a skill book instead.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Syrant posted:

Has anyone found a use for the toast from the toaster in Ranger HQ? Or the one from Ag Center? The CCR 7" vinyl

Apparently you can make use of the toast once you get to California.

And in terms of resolving the Rail Nomads conflict without 'rear end' options...keywords

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

grobbo posted:

Apparently you can make use of the toast once you get to California.

Not if its what I'm thinking of. I never found a use for that loving toast.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."
After the first few initial areas, I can't seem to find anywhere I need to go for a quest that isn't blocked off by radiation. I'm talking about areas like Rail Nomads Camp and Prison. Am I missing something obvious?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

After the first few initial areas, I can't seem to find anywhere I need to go for a quest that isn't blocked off by radiation. I'm talking about areas like Rail Nomads Camp and Prison. Am I missing something obvious?

Buy the cheap radiation suit from the Ranger Citadel and head to the Rail nomads

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Roobanguy posted:

Not if its what I'm thinking of. I never found a use for that loving toast.

Not Mr Manners? Dang. My hopes of relying upon the insight and steadfast honesty of some random people on the Steam forums have all gone to pot.

Also, I can't sell the shoddy radiation suit and it's driving me nuts.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

grobbo posted:

Stick it in your locker back at Ranger HQ.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

grobbo posted:

Not Mr Manners? Dang. My hopes of relying upon the insight and steadfast honesty of some random people on the Steam forums have all gone to pot.

Yep, that's what I was thinking of. That one is solved with a toaster heating element to replace his toasters broken one.

Just stuff all your crappy rad suits in the storage container back at base.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
My animal friends have the annoying habit of running towards mines, just after I disarm one, the little guy will run up towards the rest of them and then run back, except when they get too close and explode. So having your bomb guy be good with animals isn't a great combo.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."
I freed Vulture's Cryfrom a cage early on. He ran away. Where did he go?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Slightly related, I had Vulture's Cry taking up space and couldn't hire on Chisel. He's not at the bridge or at his house anymore :(

Mushball
May 23, 2012
After hearing all of this praise for animal whisperer, I am starting to wonder if you can use it on a honey badger. My smg guy has both a ppsh and an uzi while Angela and my rifles/pistol guy are carrying m16 and famas respectively but I am still unsure about going into the scary cave in the prison just yet.

A second m16 would even the odds but the only other seller I know of is Bowling and his is just too fishy.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

the ranger citadel store refreshes eventually, not sure what made it do that, but i got a 2nd m16 there

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Verviticus posted:

the ranger citadel store refreshes eventually, not sure what made it do that, but i got a 2nd m16 there

You just need to enter the world map and come back again.

All vendors refresh their stock and cash (if it's lower than their base amount) if you leave the area they are in. You need to go somewhere that will cause a loading screen though, which in the case of the Citadel means having to go to the world map. For Ag Center Matt will refresh his stock if you just enter any other area since they all cause loading screens.

By refresh I mean that the items they have for sale will respawn. They still keep all the junk and gear you've sold them (at least the junk).

AG3 fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Sep 22, 2014

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
After playing this for one weekend, I'm really in love with Wasteland 2 :shobon:. It's basically the game I've been waiting for since Fallout 2 and it's about high goddamned time someone got around to making it. There's a bunch of bugs but so far nothing I can't get over. The most annoying is probably the Vsync not working which causes a screen tearing line rather often, but it seems I kind of filter it out after playing 10 minutes and don't even notice it after that. Still, hope they put out some patches.

I got up to prison and decided to reroll after I get home today since I got a bunch of really dumb mistakes on my characters. Worst is the sniper only having 6 AP. There's no wiggle room for him and he can't even unjam the rifle in combat. Also I put 8 int on most chars and it's pretty much overshooting it. 4 is enough for everyone but the doctor and locks/traps/alarms rangers. Though I'm not convinced having alarms skill is worth it. In any case, it's simply not worth 4 higher int to get 1 AP + 1 skill per level.

Still trying to get a grasp on magical combat initiative amount. 12 I had seems low and my rangers are often in the rear end end of things when it counts. Gonna go with 13-14 next time.

Chronojam posted:

Slightly related, I had Vulture's Cry taking up space and couldn't hire on Chisel. He's not at the bridge or at his house anymore :(

Go check the mess hall / common room in Ranger Citadel.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Reb posted:

I'd say get the game now. The bugs aren't that prevalent, combat is fun enough when you get the hang of it and these guys deserve the money. But up to you really, as long as you actually DO pay for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
Where have people been finding skillbooks? So far I've only been to Ag, and found one: There's an Outdoorsman book on a bookshelf in the kitchen. It's in the west wing, just south of the satellite dish.

• Locked thread