Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

what? these were lcd screens operating at their native resolutions, this reads like some monster cable ad copy. if the display wasn't pixel-perfect then cleartype would've just made poo poo worse

the point is it made 1024x768 render text like it was 3072x768 (sorta). it's also why windows screenshots sometimes have weird color fringes on the text bc their lcd had different rgb geometry from yours

in most instances bag was not as sharp as a DVI connection and then throw into the mix horrible monitor scaling which has to happen due to analog to digital conversions and then you can see how clear type could help smooth out general shittyness from terrible VGA + bad scaling on what is a digital panel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

pagancow posted:

in most instances bag was not as sharp as a DVI connection and then throw into the mix horrible monitor scaling which has to happen due to analog to digital conversions and then you can see how clear type could help smooth out general shittyness from terrible VGA + bad scaling on what is a digital panel.

adding color fringing prior to blurring and losing pixel accuracy wouldn't make it less lovely, go back to putting phone numbers and fixing the audio in used car commercials

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Cocoa Crispies posted:

adding color fringing prior to blurring and losing pixel accuracy wouldn't make it less lovely, go back to putting phone numbers and fixing the audio in used car commercials

idk at distances i think it did make it look better on the lovely turn of the century analog lcds

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Cocoa Crispies posted:

every once in a while pagancow gives us a humorous look at the magical thinking that people that know nothing about hardware but think that they do engage in.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Mr Dog posted:

pentile is dog poo poo piss garbage

gently caress everything to do with that chickenwire crap

amoled in an rgb arrangement is probably ok though idk i've never seen it because it always comes in pentile

it's good on the first ps vita but lol no one bought one

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
do you idiots have any idea at all what "subpixel" means? the whole point is that each pixel is divided into three cells and that each of those cells can in turn act as its own monochromatic pixel, so you have three of those for each actual pixel. so you can antialias by having only the blue and green cells lit on the right edge of a black letter and the red and green cells on the left edge, you have an extra sliver on the unlit cells. if you muddy that up congratulations you lose the whole effect and end up with bleedy blue and orange instead of anything useful. of all the people to be such a moron about this i would never have expected you pagancow. :cripes:

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

pagancow posted:

nope. just admit you were confused and move on, bro.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

don't worry pagancow just blame it on the browser exploit

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
the slightest amount of blur would make that physically unreadable

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

impressive

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
unreadable on my second monitor, perfectly legible on the main mac display

thank you steve :unsmith:

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
readable when I flip my iPad mini to vertical

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

the old cleartype sub-pixel font rendering basically gave you retina quality font smoothing in windows xp and was great 10 years ago. it worked bc each r,g, and b on lcds are subpixels of 1/3 width stacked horizontally so long thin poo poo like fonts can be smoothed effectively, but it only works in one screen orientation so it's worthless for tablets

the sarnsung amoled screens work like that but in a weird pentile layout for both orientations and they just claim the higher effective resolution as native

u left me hanging without the new one baby

Mr Dog posted:

pentile is dog poo poo piss garbage

yes

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

The Management posted:

every once in a while pagancow gives us a humorous look at the magical thinking that people that know nothing about hardware but think that they do engage in.

lol

Sham bam bamina! posted:

of all the people to be such a moron about this i would never have expected you pagancow. :cripes:

errrrr

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
hey i figured a video janitor might have some idea of what pixels are :shrug:

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

In practice cleartype made text easier to read on LCD panels, regardless of how they were plugged up, and poorly configured.

It made text harder to read on CRTs so it wasn't enabled by default in XP.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Sham bam bamina! posted:

hey i figured a video janitor might have some idea of what pixels are :shrug:

he press butan

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

theadder posted:

u left me hanging without the new one baby

oh yea, as far as i can tell the new cleartype is some unrelated hardware feature of the screens on Surface* computers that gives it better contrast in bright light or something? here i found this from here

basically someone at MS probably said "cleartype is very popular-- I want to be able to say our tablets have cleartype" but they can't use subpixel rendering on a tablet so they called something else cleartype. then they claimed cleartype gave the 1,366 x 768 OG surface a better screen than a retina ipad

* the Surface tablet, not the old table-top computer thing they also called Surface

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

* the Surface tablet, not the old table-top computer thing they also called Surface

i still find this absolutely hilarious

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

they can't use subpixel rendering on a tablet

uh what, tablets are ideal for sub pixel, you just have to reconfigure it and support four different modes for rotation (rgb l-r, rgb t-b, rgb r-l, rgb b-t)

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

subpixel isn't going to work very well vertically though

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
yeah if the old cleartype (cleartype xp live professional edition) worked fine on an ancient 1024x768 analog lcd i dont see why they couldn't use it on a tablet

iirc the actual explaination was that they use directx for text rendering now for some reason and it didn't support cleartype (and obviously writing a cleartype implementation that works with directx is out of the question because lol microsoft)

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

subpixel isn't going to work very well vertically though

ios devices use subpixel rendering and they look absolutely fine vertically

insanely great, even

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

oh yea, as far as i can tell the new cleartype is some unrelated hardware feature of the screens on Surface* computers that gives it better contrast in bright light or something? here i found this from here

basically someone at MS probably said "cleartype is very popular-- I want to be able to say our tablets have cleartype" but they can't use subpixel rendering on a tablet so they called something else cleartype. then they claimed cleartype gave the 1,366 x 768 OG surface a better screen than a retina ipad

all around lol

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Beeftweeter posted:

ios devices use subpixel rendering and they look absolutely fine vertically

ya but theyre well made

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Cocoa Crispies posted:

uh what, tablets are ideal for sub pixel, you just have to reconfigure it and support four different modes for rotation (rgb l-r, rgb t-b, rgb r-l, rgb b-t)

yea you can do that but text in particular tends to have long thin vertical lines that benefit much more from horizontally-packed subpixels so it won't look as nice

the biggest reason tho is probably that, while sub-pixel rendering was awesome 10 years ago, actual HiDPI screens are rapidly making it irrelevant, and 5-10 years from now it will be considered an archaic legacy kludge like the 640k memory address limit.

actually, put like that it's p surprising MS isn't keeping it around

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
also the less-color-fringed way to do cleartype involves slightly shifting the kerning on the letters to align better with pixel boundaries, so rotating your tablet could make normal text suddenly become this:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:barf: that loving disgusting windows kerning, get it out of here

W o man 20pt

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Thanks Ants posted:

:barf: that loving disgusting windows kerning, get it out of here

W o man 20pt

14pt is very bad

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

prefect posted:

14pt is very bad
W oman

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Thanks Ants posted:

:barf: that loving disgusting windows keming, get it out of here

W o man 20pt

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
and i guess in portrait mode it would be WOman

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

ahem

female :tipshat:

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

she was thief
you gotta belief
she stole my heart and my cat

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Blackula69 posted:

she was thief
you gotta belief
she stole my heart and my cat

lol

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

that's a real deep cut

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Blackula69 posted:

that's a real deep cut

underrated classic :thumbsup:

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

pagancow posted:

also keep in mind these were being rendered over VGA to CRTs at 1024x768 which could do some fuzzy things too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm seeing lots of people on Twitter lament the shutdown of ms research in the valley but I don't really get why, it's not like they were xerox parc or something

• Locked thread