Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

So Yeah Gas Guzzlers is nothing like Twisted Metal. Nor is any other game in existence according to google. :sigh:

There's an arena mode in Gas Guzzlers but now, it's nowhere near as good as Twisted Metal. Also

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

HardDisk posted:

Maybe the recommendations are so poo poo now because they just started? :shrug:
They always existed and were always like that. Have you never seen the 'Recommended for you' section? It's the exact same algorithm that won't change.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

John Murdoch posted:

Actually, on this note, I recall there being some talk like...uh...half a year ago, in the old thread...regarding new Geforce recommendations. Is the GTX 760 still the way to go? Or was it the 780? The more RAM the better (within reason/cost)?

The 760 was never the way to go, except during a deep sale.

It had decent performance but it also ran annoyingly hot, and it was just an older card rebranded.

The 750Ti was - still is - a brilliant card from a balanced viewpoint - it runs very cool, it's cheap and it has a decent amount of power, and if you can't get a great sale on the 760, I'd take the 750Ti instead any day. You may have to turn settings down, but you can't beat it for cool gaming cards.

However, the latest big thing is the GeForce 970, and for a good reason. It's running cool for a high-end gaming card, it's got double the power of the 760, and it's not too expensive to boot.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Goddamn, I am so glad that I decided to wait on replacing my aging (now dead, refurbed, and dead again) 560.

I like that I can tell the top scroll not to include things like EA titles. I really dislike that I have to scroll down past the 'curated' crap in order to see the daily and midweek deals. I have no doubt that bit of design was wholly intentional, given that they were adamant about not letting people unsubscribe from Greenlight discussions and such, in the hopes of forcing their 'social' software functions to take root with users.

I just hope that they give us the ability to rearrange panels, like we have with our ever-so-useful profiles, sooner rather than later. And if they really want an infinite scroll, they could do it on the weekly sales page. There's really no excuse for having those listings separated out into pages with the sorting options there.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I'm still using a GTX 275. So far, the only game that I can't run is Watch Dogs, and I would assume Dead Rising 3. Everything else runs swimmingly.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

They might be on to something here. I assume the only way to make Wasteland 2 stop appearing as a recommendation on every single page is to buy it. :argh:

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Zombie Samurai posted:

They might be on to something here. I assume the only way to make Wasteland 2 stop appearing as a recommendation on every single page is to buy it. :argh:

You'll feel better both about it going away and as a person if you buy it.

Erika
Feb 6, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Kyrosiris posted:

That's what I figured. I mean yeah, I rolled my eyes at it suggesting trash like DAYZ/Arma 3/etc., but I figure it needs to calibrate or something and time will improve it.

Plus I like the blue, I guess I'm weird.

Maybe it's because you play trash games.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'm interested in streaming pc games from my wife's pc to my mac pro. I assume my video card doesn't need to be awesome, does it? Also, people on YouTube are talking about needing fast Internet, but isn't it all done via LAN?

Also, if we've shared libraries, do I still need to be logged in to my acct on both machines?

I just wanna play Skyrim/Fallout New Vegas with mods aplenty.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Kyrosiris posted:

That's what I figured. I mean yeah, I rolled my eyes at it suggesting trash like DAYZ/Arma 3/etc., but I figure it needs to calibrate or something and time will improve it.

Plus I like the blue, I guess I'm weird.
Lol 'calibrate'. Valve is not Google, this won't happen.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

The Kins posted:

WWE 2k15 has been sneakily announced for PC, and thus probably for Steam. That'll put a lot of butts in seats...

Finally, I can make Frank "The Trash Man" Reynolds a reality!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HlFKfSS410&t=17s

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Eruonen posted:

Aside from being really bored when playing it, I hated the music and visuals. I'm not even sure why, but everything about it rubbed me the wrong way. To each their own, of course.

How the gently caress can you hate the music? It's so loving cheery.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jG5qVLglLUk

You are a bad person. :colbert:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Well my queue told me about the existence of some Source mod called Fistful of Frags, a wild west FPS deathmatch game, so good for it.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Morter posted:

Has anyone who's ordered from Gamestop get their code already? I got an email saying the download code was ready, but my order history is empty.

I ordered shortly before I posted about the deal (10 hours ago) and I still haven't gotten my code. I haven't even gotten the email saying that the download code was ready yet.

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

I've been pretty happy with my dual GTX 770's setup, but I think I'm gonna sell them to game with a single GPU again. Some games just don't like SLI.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Deakul posted:

How the gently caress can you hate the music? It's so loving cheery.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jG5qVLglLUk

You are a bad person. :colbert:

That sounds really horrible. Not musically, just the quality is goddamn awful.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
For some reason I really hate Toki Tori and everything it stands for.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Bieeardo posted:

I like that I can tell the top scroll not to include things like EA titles. I really dislike that I have to scroll down past the 'curated' crap in order to see the daily and midweek deals. I have no doubt that bit of design was wholly intentional, given that they were adamant about not letting people unsubscribe from Greenlight discussions and such, in the hopes of forcing their 'social' software functions to take root with users.

I just hope that they give us the ability to rearrange panels, like we have with our ever-so-useful profiles, sooner rather than later. And if they really want an infinite scroll, they could do it on the weekly sales page. There's really no excuse for having those listings separated out into pages with the sorting options there.

I'm gonna quote this again from a few pages back if anyone missed it:

Jerusalem posted:

I see on the Steam Forums somebody posted a link to a method to remove all the extraneous stuff and only keep what you want, but it's only through viewing Steam through a browser and not the client itself. :(

...because while it doesn't do everything you mentioned, it's still a great improvement on the big curator and discovery queue bars and the useless infinite scroll of recommendations.

Hogo Fogo
May 10, 2010

I wish the daily deal was not hidden kilometers down the page.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Palpek posted:

They always existed and were always like that. Have you never seen the 'Recommended for you' section? It's the exact same algorithm that won't change.

maybe now that they have put such a big focus on it they will be motivated to improve it?

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Palpek posted:

Lol 'calibrate'. Valve is not Google, this won't happen.

God, I hope not. Everything google puts their hands on that isn't their search engine turns to poo poo.

Awesome! posted:

maybe now that they have put such a big focus on it they will be motivated to improve it?

Valve being motivated to fix anything? That's a laugh.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Valve could probably have avoided a lot of the really really bad design decisions they made here if they ever bothered actually staying in touch with their userbase and figuring out what people actually want.

Then again, you could say the same about Microsoft, and they're still doing well, so I guess the lesson here is that Valve will just coast by on their own momentum now and stop giving a gently caress.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Major Steam updates are a lot like major TF2 updates, the first day some things need to be tweaked/fixed and everyone bitches like they'll never be tweaked/fixed and then they are tweaked/fixed and then people go back to finding something else to bitch about

In Steam's case it'll be Early Access games I'm sure

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

I Am Just a Box posted:

I'm gonna quote this again from a few pages back if anyone missed it:

...because while it doesn't do everything you mentioned, it's still a great improvement on the big curator and discovery queue bars and the useless infinite scroll of recommendations.

Unfortunately for me, the Steampowered webpage logs me out or changes my language preferences at the drop of a hat, so I gave up on it years ago. I'm probably just going to skip the storefront entirely and follow one of those deal-scraping RSS feeds instead. Anything worth buying at launch, I'll have heard about through goons... and probably still wait for a sale.

Quest For Glory II posted:

Major Steam updates are a lot like major TF2 updates, the first day some things need to be tweaked/fixed and everyone bitches like they'll never be tweaked/fixed and then they are tweaked/fixed and then people go back to finding something else to bitch about

In Steam's case it'll be Early Access games I'm sure

Yeah. I doubt we'll be looking at this arrangement for the next two years. It's not bad as a totally-not-beta, it just needs some hammering.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

FrickenMoron posted:

What does it stand for?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I'm more upset that Steam Completionist is down but hopefully it'll be back up so I can click some more checkmarks and watch that pie chart change one tenth of a percent at a time

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Palpek posted:

Except for the fact that you can now actively go in and say "Not Interested" to games it recommends.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Lance Streetman posted:

God, I hope not. Everything google puts their hands on that isn't their search engine turns to poo poo.

How much did Google pay for your posts? I like Google Now - I use it on my phone fairly often.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

The queue told me FFXIII is on Steam. :stare:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Fart of Presto posted:

Except for the fact that you can now actively go in and say "Not Interested" to games it recommends.

that doesn't change the recommendations it generates for you in any way though other than hiding that one game.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Heran Bago posted:

Yeah, coming soon.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Heran Bago posted:

All the XIII games are coming out on Steam. XIII is just the first to come out.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Was it the Toki Tori dev that sent out the coupons set to expire only nearly a year after you got them?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
So I'm on a bit of an RPG kick with Wasteland 2 and want to buy either that new Shadowrun game or that new Dungeon Crawler (Elinmage?)

I take it the Shadowrun game is way more polished and the latter can probably wait for a major sale at which point it will be up to snuff, I guess?

I don't really have a problem with janky games, to be honest, I think they're fun (Two Worlds is one of my favorite games ever) so I'm rather torn.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Awesome! posted:

that doesn't change the recommendations it generates for you in any way though other than hiding that one game.

It doesn't seem to do that, either. DayZ is staring up from the recommended tags, despite flagging everything EA or unreleased as a no-go, and explicitly clicking that one as 'don't show this to me'.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Awesome! posted:

Perhaps it doesn't generate new recommendations on the fly, but uses a queued up system, and only rebuilds it once an hour?
Perhaps it only generates new recommendations after you have made X number of Wishlist/Not Interested marks?

No one here really knows, and it might just be that they only collect data right now and implement a real recommendation system later.

Or it could be that gaben is just laughing at all the rage being generated on the forums while he swims around in his Scrooge McDuck money vault v:shobon:v

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

FrickenMoron posted:

I'm a potato champion. My eternal burning hatred for Toki Tori is matched only by my eternal burning hatred for Cogs.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Fart of Presto posted:

Perhaps it doesn't generate new recommendations on the fly, but uses a queued up system, and only rebuilds it once an hour?
Perhaps it only generates new recommendations after you have made X number of Wishlist/Not Interested marks?

No one here really knows, and it might just be that they only collect data right now and implement a real recommendation system later.

Or it could be that gaben is just laughing at all the rage being generated on the forums while he swims around in his Scrooge McDuck money vault v:shobon:v

no they straight up tell you on the info pages for the new stuff that hitting "not interested" doesn't change the recommendations in any way

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I'm thinking about picking up a USB extension cable so I can use my PS3 controller from the couch, but I was wondering if that would cause any sort of input lag. I don't know enough about USB/BetterDS3/whatever to begin to figure that out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Ddraig posted:

So I'm on a bit of an RPG kick with Wasteland 2 and want to buy either that new Shadowrun game or that new Dungeon Crawler (Elinmage?)

I take it the Shadowrun game is way more polished and the latter can probably wait for a major sale at which point it will be up to snuff, I guess?

I don't really have a problem with janky games, to be honest, I think they're fun (Two Worlds is one of my favorite games ever) so I'm rather torn.

Probably get Shadowrun Dargon Fall DC then, but honestly Wasteland 2 is by far the superior game. Check out Divinity: Original Sin if you want a newer rpg, whose strengths lie in different areas compared to Wasteland 2.

Out of them all I'd actually recommend you go with Expeditions: Conquistador before going with Shadowrun [unless they REALLY significantly changed what's under the systems hood, but it doesn't seem like it] (I'd recommend Expeditions over Original Sin for the writing and style, but OS has some pretty amazing systems in place, so it's not fair to compare them).

You should also look into Anachronox. Actually, ANYBODY gazing with some sort of interest at FF13 (you poor bastards) should get Anachronox. Actually, EVERYBODY should get Anachronox.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Sep 23, 2014

• Locked thread