Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

theflyingexecutive posted:

lol my father is at a conference this very day arguing against a whole thinktank of ideas guys like you to remind them that cad/cam is too resource intensive for poo poo like that

"people PEOPLE *takes long drag on cigarette* must I remind you again that CAD/CAM is far too resource intensive to be run on powerful scalable servers in the cloud, and can only succeed when run on $1k laptops!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
wish ballmer had retired to pro wrestling or something instead

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

Mr Dog posted:

his moves would be called the Surface Slam and the Bing Bang

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

"I hope you're ready to click in, cause I'm about to Bing it up your rear end!"

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

"Do you know what else is only $9.99 a month? Office 365 Home for the entire family, brother!"

Miley Virus fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Sep 26, 2014

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

cause you know ballmer would co-opt other wrestlers' catchphrases

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Miley Virus posted:

cause you know ballmer would co-opt other wrestlers' catchphrases

yeah

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Miley Virus posted:

"Do you know what else is only $9.99 a month? Office 365 Home for the entire family, brother!"
Microsoft please bring back the MSN Network tia

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
can u smell what the bing is searching!!!

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

carry on then posted:

at what point do they just start marketing directly to cjs, the last group who even had a small reason to praise windows
like the vast majority of consumers will still be using windows in 10 years as far as desktop computing goes

now everything that isn't a desktop pc...yeah lol it'll all be anroid/ios/osx/chromeos

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

Rexicon1 posted:

ballmer just loving goes and nothing stops him

there is a reason he is worth ~$18 bil and we're posting on the internet about it

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Fabricated posted:

like the vast majority of consumers will still be using windows in 10 years as far as desktop computing goes

now everything that isn't a desktop pc...yeah lol it'll all be anroid/ios/osx/chromeos

desktops are only like one quarter of the market if you exclude smartphones though

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Forbes AND idc? my friend, you have yourself an unreliable source

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
my OPERATION SYSTEM is operating system o s x ten ten

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Blackula69 posted:

Forbes AND idc? my friend, you have yourself an unreliable source

it's surprisingly hard to get a breakdown of sales by platform

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

yeah

i just typed "i don't get why there isn't a third-party sales monitor that's reliable" but I do get it

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

"hello apple? yes this is the npd group. we'd like you to give us weekly sale numbers for the apple store. no wait don't hang up! :sigh:"

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Internaut! posted:

"people PEOPLE *takes long drag on cigarette* must I remind you again that CAD/CAM is far too resource intensive to be run on powerful scalable servers in the cloud, and can only succeed when run on $1k laptops!"

basically he's arguing that these massive files: 1. exist and 2. shouldn't be treated the same way as some middle manager's six sigma slide deck.

also they force him to use a giant engineering laptop for testing instead of a normal-person sized one.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Miley Virus posted:

"I hope you're ready to click in, cause I'm about to Bing it up your rear end!"

Oh my god, I bet Ballmer will try to make Microsoft chants to sing at basketball games.

"Weeee willll, weeee willll, BING YOU! BING YOU!"

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

basically he's arguing that these massive files: 1. exist and 2. shouldn't be treated the same way as some middle manager's six sigma slide deck.

also they force him to use a giant engineering laptop for testing instead of a normal-person sized one.
*Shoves 18" or whatever Zbook back into its overseas steamer case*

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”

Blackula69 posted:

there is a reason he is worth ~$18 bil and we're posting on the internet about it

he befriended an early bill gates, paul allen did the same

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

raruler posted:

he befriended an early bill gates, paul allen did the same

yep

i do not see how any of them really did much beyond being in the right place at the right time and making the right bets

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Cold on a Cob posted:

yep

i do not see how any of them really did much beyond being in the right place at the right time and making the right bets

bill gates needed a hype man.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Pinterest Mom posted:

steve ballmer is the flavor flav of technology

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Pinterest Mom posted:

i think he was his own best hype man

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

qirex posted:

steve ballmer is the flavor flav of technology

poo poo that reminds me, what's that crazy "history of apple" fanboy blog? i keep trying to google it and getting gruber lol but no this guy i'm trying to find had a really insane blog with lots of funny photoshops that were reminiscent of dees stuff sorta

he got in an internet slap fight with gruber years ago if that helps

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

carry on then posted:

at what point do they just start marketing directly to cjs, the last group who even had a small reason to praise windows

not like they dont already

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

lol my father is at a conference this very day arguing against a whole thinktank of ideas guys like you to remind them that cad/cam is too resource intensive for poo poo like that

lol

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

FMguru posted:

ive been saying for years that msft's inevitable end state is as an enterprise software and consulting company, living off of big contracts from f500s and government agencies - essentially becoming ibm or xerox or unisys - and the sooner they understand that the better off theyll be

the vast majority of msft's revenues come from this

how do u think they get the $ to blow on poo poo like xbone

like losing a bil or 2 is pocket change

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the probable end state for dell and hp is bankruptcy. they sell commodity products. not even fortune 500s and government want to pay enterprise margins for extra testing on whitebox hardware.

they have tried to dodge the bullet by getting into software, storage, and services, and that's not working either. if your business is failing you don't become a success by buying somebody else's business

p much this

azure is microsoft's endgame for IT in the enterprise.

why buy expensive hardware and people when u can farm it out to us, and never have to deal with our awful softwar eagain!!! win win!!!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Mr Dog posted:

He put hard times on Steve Ballmer and his family. You don’t know what hard times are, daddy. Hard times are when the IT consultants around this country are out of work, they got 4 or 5 kids and can’t pay their wages, can’t buy their food. Hard times are when the Microsoft store guys are out of work and they tell ‘em to go home. And hard times are when a man has worked at a job for thirty years, thirty years, and they give him a watch, kick him in the butt and say “hey an iPad took your place, daddy”, that’s hard times! That’s hard times!

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Internaut! posted:

this sounds amazing and why doesn't solidworks/autodesk/et al offer that kind of service today, either their own cloud or DIY cloud servers

i wanted something like this forver and there are 3d renderers obviously where you can ship the rendering job to the network, there was also autodesk showcase, which I think was almost going to have some remote render thing so you could just show up with an ipad or laptop, vpn in, and some box full of cl/cuda cards rendered the views
realtime design isn't going to work with that so well however

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Malcolm XML posted:

the vast majority of msft's revenues come from this

how do u think they get the $ to blow on poo poo like xbone

like losing a bil or 2 is pocket change
well yeah

thats why i said the sooner they realize it the better

instead they keep loving around as if they were a consumer or web company, spending giant piles of money on bing and xbone and surface and minecraft and nokia and aquantive and actively trying to ruin their enterprise jewels by forcing consumer-oriented garbage like metro onto it. msft was once a consumer company - people lined up around the block at midnight in 1995 to buy the new version of windows - but those days are long gone, and msft keeps setting money on fire in a hopeless effort to pretend they are still the central focus of the entire technology industry, like a middle aged dad spending down his 401k on a sports car and hair plugs and a facelift instead of just accepting that hes 42 years old and that his life is now what it is

they do have some very good enterprise tools like azure, and if they focused on those they could make money forever, but instead they waste huge amounts of energy and resources across every sector of technology because they refuse to admit theyre no longer the industry-bestriding colossus they were back in bill gates salad days

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

i wanted something like this forver and there are 3d renderers obviously where you can ship the rendering job to the network, there was also autodesk showcase, which I think was almost going to have some remote render thing so you could just show up with an ipad or laptop, vpn in, and some box full of cl/cuda cards rendered the views

was it pixar that basically developed a grid client so that all their workstations could pitch in on renders overnight?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

carry on then posted:

was it pixar that basically developed a grid client so that all their workstations could pitch in on renders overnight?

Lightwave was going that in the early 90s, Foundation Imaging would start a render job overnight for Babylon 5 and it would be distributed between all the Amigas in the office

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

that was distributing frames but ones like maxwell render can have many computers working on the same frame (or still) with a different seed
and then you can merge all the light calculations they did into one higher quality image

you kind of have to if you don't like dots

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

my father's fortune 25 company is trying to do this, but with a third-party infrastructure lol

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

my father's fortune 25 company is trying to do this, but with a third-party infrastructure lol

lol

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Cold on a Cob posted:

poo poo that reminds me, what's that crazy "history of apple" fanboy blog? i keep trying to google it and getting gruber lol but no this guy i'm trying to find had a really insane blog with lots of funny photoshops that were reminiscent of dees stuff sorta

he got in an internet slap fight with gruber years ago if that helps

was it http://www.folklore.org/?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

lol no i remembered it was roughly drafted

i.e.
http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2007/08/07/daniel-lyons-fake-steve-jobs-and-the-sco-shill-who-hated-linux/

i might have oversold how crazy the photoshops were, they are lolworthy but nowhere near dees level of crazy :shobon:

• Locked thread