Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Accordion Man posted:

Thanks for the heads up. I remember hearing that was the case but it was a while ago and I wanted to make sure.

Just be warned, there's good stuff in the first mission (of seven) but it's by far the hardest one. Don't be discouraged!

Also, dress as a chef, it's the best~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

corn in the bible posted:

Just be warned, there's good stuff in the first mission (of seven) but it's by far the hardest one. Don't be discouraged!

Also, dress as a chef, it's the best~
I've beaten Hitman Contracts and Blood Money so I think I'll be fine. That's the main reason I wanted to play this, there's no other good Blood Money-esque games now that Absolution ended up being really mediocre and boring.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ArfJason posted:

that first case was loving amazing but then it was as steep a downhill as the cliffside of the grand canyon

I only remember the first one, piano ace wright, and that crazy rear end jury system. RE6 is pretty fun too until I got ate by the fat chick. Is merc mode dlc I didn't see it in the menu

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Acquire Currency! posted:

Is merc mode dlc I didn't see it in the menu

You go into 'Extra Content' or something like that from the main menu, and Mercenaries is in there. There is DLC, but it's extra add-on modes for Mercenaries, like 1v1 and team vs team Mercenaries.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
RE Revelations does not have a Mercenaries mode, and the campaign - while good - has no coop. It also has a dumb scanning gimmick to find hidden items.
I know most people stop reading at the Mercenaries line, because everyone knows Mercs is THE way to have fun in RE games. But RE Revelations does not suffer from this. Oh no. Because it has Raid Mode instead.

Raid Mode is literally Diablo. You run around a level, no timers, kill poo poo, try to not get it, get exp and cash and random weapon/weapon part drops to outfit your weapon with, and do it all with the help of a friend! Raid Mode owns owns owns.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Quest For Glory II posted:

I'll confess, XCOM the Bureau is kinda cool if you turn it on Easy because it means you can mostly ignore your squad once you've ordered them to a location and just take aliens out yourself (also you can blow up an alien airship by shooting at it with a pistol a few times). I love the art direction too, roaming around 50s America that's gone all to hosed

That's how I played through it. Put it on easy, ignore everything about your squadmates except for their good assist powers, and play a mediocre-but-enjoyable third person shooter.

I tried to take squadmates seriously for the first hour or so and when I ended up getting end of mission screens that said "You: 150 kills; Squadmates: 1 kill" I said gently caress it.

Also the pistol is the best weapon. The regular pistol, not the alien laser pistol.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Sep 30, 2014

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Tezzeract posted:

How is RE: Revelations?

As a port of a 3DS game I think its pretty damned good but that's really all it is. I think most people and the marketing who touted it as some return to the form of RE1 through Code Veronica are fairly off the mark because there's still plenty of action-y bits where you shoot dozens of monsters, its just that there's also quieter bits where you might only shoot a few monsters while you head to the door you just got the key for. If anything its more like Resident Evil 4: Portable Edition. The story and characters are just as ridiculous and terrible as any other recent RE game, if not more so in regards to a couple of them. Never played the co-op multiplayer part.

It does appear it did well enough for Capcom though because the sequel (which is a sequel in name only) is skipping the 3DS entirely and just starting on the consoles and PC.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Awesome! posted:

well they did put them ios so I guess it wouldn't be a huge stretch to see them on steam

It'd be a double edged sword though, because the ios version has a lot of messy graphics and noticeable spelling errors the originals don't have, which wouldn't set the best possible first impression if they didn't touch it up first...which they wouldn't, them being Capcom.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

pun pundit posted:

Does it have QTEs?

You bet your sweet rear end it does!

Orv
May 4, 2011

Deakul posted:

You bet your sweet rear end it does!

It doesn't have many traditional QTEs (in fact it has 3), what you're seeing is Batman combat.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Justin_Brett posted:

It'd be a double edged sword though, because the ios version has a lot of messy graphics and noticeable spelling errors the originals don't have, which wouldn't set the best possible first impression if they didn't touch it up first...which they wouldn't, them being Capcom.

I think he meant that the games are more likely to appear on Steam because they've already appeared on another platform other than DS, so Capcom clearly isn't that worried about constraining the series to just Nintendo handhelds, not that the iOS versions could be easily ported or something. Also, they've touched up those ports - improved versions are coming out on 3DS soonish. In the event that the series comes to Steam, they could well use those versions instead.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Oh I was just speaking in terms of if they used the ios ports, for all I know they would port the 3DS remakes. That would certainly be nice.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well where are my RE6 bros?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Just chilling playing some other games while waiting. :v:

edit: Downloading RE6. I really need a bigger HDD.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/shindragon94303

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Sep 30, 2014

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Acquire Currency! posted:

Well where are my RE6 bros?

I now own this game you speak of, though I've only played one chapter of it: http://steamcommunity.com/id/solidsnakesbandana/

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!
I'm not too concerned about Ace Attorney Trilogy being ported badly. AA5 runs really well on iOS, and I'm sure that porting a 60FPS version of 5 or Trilogy from 3DS to PC would be even easier. Supposedly, Trilogy for iOS got most of its issues ironed out before the iOS 7 update basically reverted it, so I wouldn't count on that being more than a one-time fluke.

Speaking of, the Ghost Trick port on iOS also runs and plays really smoothly, and I got the whole game for a buck last holiday season. If anyone has an iDevice and wants to pick up the game, definitely keep an eye out for Capcom sales on the App Store in a couple months.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I now own this game you speak of, though I've only played one chapter of it: http://steamcommunity.com/id/solidsnakesbandana/

Sent

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Hmmm, I still haven't gotten anything. You sure?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Spanish Matlock posted:

Sure Steam, I'd love to goof around in Star Trek Online, but Perfect World thinks that it's 1983 and that pirated games are released on mimeographed 8-track tapes in a seedy back alley of Beijing on the regular.

Where do you live? I'm Malaysian, and I've been loving around in STO for a long time. I even have a subscription.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I'm up for RE6, especially Mercs!

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Azran/

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Hmmm, I still haven't gotten anything. You sure?

Sent it to the wrong guy. Added Azran too

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I've been playing Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments for review, and it's great.

The series has generally improved with each installment, and this is the first time it's firing on all cylinders. The game looks great (bordering on gorgeous at times), doesn't have any goofy low budget rough edges, and most importantly it feels like a proper detective game. You're doing legwork, taking in details about the people you talk to with a cool time-stop camera mode, and working out the case with a notebook that makes it easy to keep tabs on all sorts of little details.

There's less of a focus on puzzles. You're mostly just interacting with people and the world, and when an occasional puzzle does pop up it's usually straightforward and contextually appropriate. The environments are laid out in a smarter way than they've been in the past, so there's less running around. You also get very clear feedback when you have fully inspected an object or area.

Once you have all the evidence, you can examine deductions that have two possibilities and select the one that seems right, then get a graphic representation that shows whether that fits into your other conclusions. There are a lot of outcomes for each case, and by default you aren't told whether your accusation is right or wrong. You do have the option to check after the end has played out, though, and you can then jump back to a point where you can try accusing someone else. Either way, you get to decide whether to lay down the maximum punishment or go easy on the suspected culprit. So far as I can tell there is no right or wrong punishment. You just go with what seems right and get a little bit of follow-up flavor text in the paper during your next case.

If you're into detective games, I'd recommend giving this a shot. While Shadow of Mordor looks amazing and it's going to dominate sales+discussion, I hope this doesn't get completely buried.

Corin Tucker's Stalker fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Sep 30, 2014

Orv
May 4, 2011
Did they "fix" Creepy Watson? :colbert:

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

What kind of singleplayer is in narwhals? Game looks fun but local multi on a pc game isn't a realistic thing for me with the way things are set up here.

Orv
May 4, 2011

LibbyM posted:

What kind of singleplayer is in narwhals? Game looks fun but local multi on a pc game isn't a realistic thing for me with the way things are set up here.

None worth noting.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

Orv posted:

Did they "fix" Creepy Watson? :colbert:

Haha, sort of. He doesn't teleport but he does like to watch.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
That actually sounds a lot what I wanted with that game since it was first announced. I wasn't much a fan of Testament because the puzzles were a pain in the rear end and it didn't feel like a Sherlock Holmes game because of it. I mean Holmes is doing stuff like investigating crime scenes and grilling people in the books, not solving some convoluted chess puzzle.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Haha, sort of. He doesn't teleport but he does like to watch.

I'll definitely give it a look, I skipped the last two but it sounds like they've rocked the boat on this one.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I wish in the Steam UI there was a way to show when your game last received an update, like in the list view. "Last Updated".

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Is there a way to have the Steam messager show multiple rows of tabs?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Drag them onto each other?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

I didn't notice this in the weekly deals listings but the new dlc for hero siege (that game you probably got for free/$1 and have had a disproportionate amount of fun with) is on sale for $1.25

Orv
May 4, 2011
Hark, a Shadow of Mordor stream.

If it looks like poo poo, add me on Steam and yell at me to fix it.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

SynthOrange posted:

Drag them onto each other?
What? I mean like this:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

I've been playing Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments for review, and it's great.

The series has generally improved with each installment, and this is the first time it's firing on all cylinders. The game looks great (bordering on gorgeous at times), doesn't have any goofy low budget rough edges, and most importantly it feels like a proper detective game. You're doing legwork, taking in details about the people you talk to with a cool time-stop camera mode, and working out the case with a notebook that makes it easy to keep tabs on all sorts of little details.

There's less of a focus on puzzles. You're mostly just interacting with people and the world, and when an occasional puzzle does pop up it's usually straightforward and contextually appropriate. The environments are laid out in a smarter way than they've been in the past, so there's less running around. You also get very clear feedback when you have fully inspected an object or area.

Once you have all the evidence, you can examine deductions that have two possibilities and select the one that seems right, then get a graphic representation that shows whether that fits into your other conclusions. There are a lot of outcomes for each case, and by default you aren't told whether your accusation is right or wrong. You do have the option to check after the end has played out, though, and you can then jump back to a point where you can try accusing someone else. Either way, you get to decide whether to lay down the maximum punishment or go easy on the suspected culprit. So far as I can tell there is no right or wrong punishment. You just go with what seems right and get a little bit of follow-up flavor text in the paper during your next case.

If you're into detective games, I'd recommend giving this a shot. While Shadow of Mordor looks amazing and it's going to dominate sales+discussion, I hope this doesn't get completely buried.
Thanks for the write-up, I really can't wait for this one as the last Sherlock Holmes was already really great and the trailer for the new one is amazing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dV-48i01jfQ&t=16s

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Elysiume posted:

What? I mean like this:

Oh, misunderstood the question.

Goddamn that's a lot of people you want to talk to tho.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
Yeah, my only hesitation with Shadows of Mordor was that there's been an embargo on reviews of the PC version only. I was going to wait until that lifts to see if I should get the PC version or the PS4.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

SynthOrange posted:

Oh, misunderstood the question.

Goddamn that's a lot of people you want to talk to tho.
Yeah, I talk to most of my friends over Steam.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Orv posted:

Hark, a Shadow of Mordor stream.

If it looks like poo poo, add me on Steam and yell at me to fix it.

Done for now, but I cannot say how pleased I am that this game (so far) lives up to the hype. Was pretty amused when I went to stop an execution, realized I didn't know what the guy doing the executing was immune to. There was a worm in the crowd, grabbed him, learned the captains weaknesses, shot him in the face.

At 1:50:00 on the stream, for reference.

Orv fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Sep 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

So captain's weakness was getting shot in the face...makes you think.

• Locked thread