Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Vib Rib posted:

Honestly, one of my biggest problems in the whole game is just how slow digging is, so all the mining/MM changes sound pretty good. Platforming needs some work, as mentioned, but as a core mechanic slow mining was always a huge pain. Glad to see it's finally looking like it's on the way out.

What are you talking about? Almost all the recent posts have been about the game and the changes that are being made or still need to be made, or about basic mechanics, or platforming, which you just mentioned people weren't talking about. Out of dozens only like two people were actually commenting on that picture, and neither of them were even particularly rude.

Don't reward the low-effort trolling with treats, at least make them work for their dinner a little

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Are the MM changes in the nightlies now?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Holy poo poo, is that in Terraria already? Looks cool as gently caress

EDIT: Seems the MM changes are, packetmantis. Thats the only way to see em to my knowledge

Silus
Dec 28, 2012

That Terraria digging machine supposed to be in with the 1.3 update, IIRC. It's being assumed to be a rare drop from the space aliens / moon boss event, though we only have speculation at this point.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I find it weird that I played a lot of Terraria waiting for Starbound, now I just play terraria when I want to play Starbound :smith:

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Played a bit on the nightly, couldn't get that far since after a few successful enemy kills the rest turn invincible after a couple of shots.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Devour or Fire posted:

or the two previous updates that nobody gave a poo poo about where your spaceman covers himself in mud and sleeps on grass like survivorman.

Idunno, I thought the tar thing was mildly interesting.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
I still hope Starbound can be good.
I really want it to be good. :smith:

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i think it can be good

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i fuckin bought towns when drunk one night and starbound is refreshing in comparison

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

i fuckin bought towns when drunk one night and starbound is refreshing in comparison

Yeah Towns is definitely a case of "the devs took the money and ran." Its future is really up in the air. It's sad, that game had a lot of potential. Starbound at least has people working on it still.

Is Cubeworld still completely abandoned as well?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yeah Towns is definitely a case of "the devs took the money and ran." Its future is really up in the air. It's sad, that game had a lot of potential. Starbound at least has people working on it still.

No patch in nearly a year and a half, and only one or two blog posts in that time with one video preview I think. No other information that the game is being worked on exists. There are no tests builds or anything to opt in to. It's basically dead until it isn't.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Isn't Towns completely abandoned/'done' as far as the dev's concerned?

Not sure why anyone wasted money on that when Gnomoria is an option and a better game, but condolences to people burned by Towns.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Townsbound

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Evil Fluffy posted:

Not sure why anyone wasted money on that when Gnomoria is an option and a better game, but condolences to people burned by Towns.

in my semi-drunken defense i had no idea that gnomoria existed

why the gently caress i would get either of them when i fully well know how to play dwarf fortress is beyond me, though. also, i think towns has had some really minor bugfix updates semi-recently or some poo poo? it's weird.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Man I just checked Steam and I have that Towns game too, and its even installed thought I cant remember playing it. Day Z, Starbound and now Towns. I think I make terrible life choices

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

why the gently caress i would get either of them when i fully well know how to play dwarf fortress is beyond me, though.
Gnomoria has a mostly-sane and consistent interface and actual graphics.

Never bought or played Towns and never will so can't comment there.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i actually find the base ASCII and tilesets for dwarf fortress to be charming, and graphical quality is pretty low on my scale of what i care for most in a game. the UI is give or take but i can understand why it's fairly disliked by a lot of people. at least it's pretty concise and is mostly made up of nested menus navigated with displayed hotkeys!

also, from what i can tell when comparing gnomoria and towns, towns is pretty much gnomoria but worse. not much else to comment on.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Towns future is so far from "up in the air" that is about 6 feet under.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

I still hope Starbound can be good.
I really want it to be good. :smith:

Ahem. [taps No Trolling sign]

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
I don't think Chucklefish are going to take the money and run, I just think they are not very competent at their jobs.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
It's like the game was set to be done in 2015 or something, weird

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Evil Fluffy posted:

Yes and no. Apparently a few people off and on have agreed to work on Towns for a slice of the money made after they started but the game just doesn't sell anymore because, well, the original devs took the money and ran. It's currently a playable, if clunky, game that I snagged on sale to see what's up with it. I toss a few dollars at games heavily on sale every now and again because I'm learning to make games and it's beneficial to play as many games as you can, good or bad, if you want to make them.

Towns, though, is kind of weirdly hovering between being abandoned and not. Somebody is apparently working on it and a small patch came out a month ago but its future does not look good. It had a lot of promise but like I said, the devs just sort of abandoned it shortly after sales peaked. A shame too, it was a neat game with a lot of promise. Towns, though, is definitely a case where the people that bought it have a legitimate gripe. The devs promised "free updates, forever" then just went "nah, gently caress you" and left with little more than a stable beta out.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Evil Fluffy posted:

Plenty of people were introduced to Towns way before it hit Steam, via things like Sips' Youtube series on it. I was one of them. I didn't hear about Gnomoria until a bit later, but ended up getting both since they were both insanely cheap.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yes and no. Apparently a few people off and on have agreed to work on Towns for a slice of the money made after they started but the game just doesn't sell anymore because, well, the original devs took the money and ran. It's currently a playable, if clunky, game that I snagged on sale to see what's up with it. I toss a few dollars at games heavily on sale every now and again because I'm learning to make games and it's beneficial to play as many games as you can, good or bad, if you want to make them.

Towns, though, is kind of weirdly hovering between being abandoned and not. Somebody is apparently working on it and a small patch came out a month ago but its future does not look good. It had a lot of promise but like I said, the devs just sort of abandoned it shortly after sales peaked. A shame too, it was a neat game with a lot of promise. Towns, though, is definitely a case where the people that bought it have a legitimate gripe. The devs promised "free updates, forever" then just went "nah, gently caress you" and left with little more than a stable beta out.

It's difficult to imagine any way towns wasn't going to end up clunky as hell unfortunately. I bought it pretty cheaply and certainly had fun with it, but it's always looked extremely rough around the edges and not because it was in alpha/beta but rather because the devs didn't seem to give much of a crap about any sort of polish. But hey, it's not like I didn't know this going in and I'd have been astonished if they had followed through on their "free updates until the end of time" thing.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

MrLonghair posted:

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012
I tried the nightly build again. New character, explored some caves, got mad deep into the planet and picked up sweet ore. Even dodged a bunch of enemies, that became immortal, because they were killed by fire. Which makes them immortal right now.
Anyway, at some point I dropped into a dark abyss by accident and dropped all my ores. gently caress that game. And gently caress everyone, who thinks there should be a death penalty in spacestoneage lego dirtdigging simulations.

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Yet another violation of regulation 1910 subpart D.
For me, the dealkiller was when I upgraded my ship and it deleted all of the everything I had in my ship's storage, which in a game so insistent on ore "progression" pretty much amounted to 6 hours of my life digging agonizingly slowly through solid earth. I was playing on nightlies so it's probably my own fault for expecting otherwise but that particular bug has been there for a couple weeks now; last I checked it was still present.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I still don't understand why people like having to dig for their resources. Just give me everything at the start so I can actually build something cool instead of wasting 4 1/2 hours digging for useless materials.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Yeah seriously where's the creative mode

demanrisu
Aug 2, 2014

weh

oddium posted:

Yeah seriously where's the creative mode

There's a mod for that but I assume that's not exactly the answer you were looking for.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I still don't understand why people like having to dig for their resources. Just give me everything at the start so I can actually build something cool instead of wasting 4 1/2 hours digging for useless materials.

The mining simulator genre has reached its end. Its time for the organization of miners and general labor simulators to arise.

BEEP BOOP BIRD MAN GOT BLACK LUNG BEEP BOOP

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

MrLonghair posted:

lol It took almost three YEARS for them to get to the point theyre at right now. They may call it 1.0 in 2015 but it wont have everything theyve said would be in the "release" version. Some one said it earlier and i agree, theyre not trying to scam anyone or anything like that, they just seem incompetent and lack direction.

Kly fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Oct 2, 2014

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

It's all about the Skinner box, rewarding your reptile brain with constant "ooh I found more poo poo!" blips.

Games where you have everything at the start (usually through cheat codes) have a completely different appeal, and it doesn't hit the same notes. If you make building poo poo too easy, certain types of people get bored and stop playing your game. That's something Minecraft did right - they provided gameplay for both types of people.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Goreld posted:

Games where you have everything at the start (usually through cheat codes) have a completely different appeal, and it doesn't hit the same notes. If you make building poo poo too easy, certain types of people get bored and stop playing your game. That's something Minecraft did right - they provided gameplay for both types of people.

Not at first. They started with the creative, which is what I enjoyed and why I bought the alpha. Then slowly it became more of a survival game and my interest waned. Now all my friends love spending hours and hours doing nothing but digging for diamond and dying to bullshit enemies. All I want to do is build. :negative:

Terraria was even worse since it hid content until you killed bosses.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Video Games are Gamey, stop the presses!

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Magmarashi posted:

Video Games are Gamey, stop the presses!

Oh no, I find combat in a lego building game to be unfun and bullshit. :siren:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

because getting the resources is half the fun and having to earn the stuff you build with is what makes it worthwhile. I get bored of creative in minecraft/[any other block game] in like 10 minutes every time I play it, I need to work for my structures otherwise they're worthless to me

minecraft/starbound combat/exploration is pretty bad/not that good, respectively, but I still have way more fun with it than without

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
I switched back to stable after finding out the breathing apparatus still doesn't work, and the ship won't let you beam down to airless moons (and that IS bullshit).

If you guys are frustrated and want to, y'know, just get things running in nightly:

/admin to turn off hunger, air, need for fuel etc
/spawnitem [material]ore [amount]
(Ex. /spawnitem goldore 1000)
/spawnitem pixel [amount]
/admin to make you mortal again

That circumvents the grindy bullshit so you can try out all the other things.

Most the upgrades for the MM are bought with metal bars (and diamonds) but had trouble getting the diamonds smelted. I recommend spawning the materials in order so you get the feel of how tech progression works.

There's a way to spawn ship upgrades directly, but as someone mentioned, it resets the shipboard inventory. The ships get quite big.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Oh no, I find combat in a lego building game to be unfun and bullshit. :siren:

It's almost as if different people enjoy different kinds of games and different companies make different games to cater to different tastes.

• Locked thread