Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's not just tuning, it's artisanal tuning. That costs money.

You jest, but wasn't there a guy who started some kind of "artisanal pencil sharpening service" as a joke, but then some insufferable assholes from places like Williamsburg, Seattle, Portland, and San Fran jumped all over it?

http://www.artisanalpencilsharpening.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Somebody needs to quote the picture because GOD drat :stonk:

Nightmare.jpg

Seriously that's like the most unappealing thing I've ever seen in my entire life. Kill it with fire, from orbit.

sweet i've always wanted to get cranked off by a tumor'd up Hellboy hand

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

DrBouvenstein posted:

You jest, but wasn't there a guy who started some kind of "artisanal pencil sharpening service" as a joke, but then some insufferable assholes from places like Williamsburg, Seattle, Portland, and San Fran jumped all over it?

http://www.artisanalpencilsharpening.com/

does it come shipped in a complimentary NPR tote.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

How is this different from Hatoful Boyfriend?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Zemyla posted:

Hatoful Boyfriend has good writing, and this will probably never get past the whole DATING ANIMALS SO WACKY phase.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Question 1: Why on earth would you use Unity for a dating sim?

You can literally program a dating sim in HTML/CSS (HTML5/CSS3 if you want to be a little fancier visually and save state,) and then just wrap in a web view for whatever platforms you're targeting. If you want to be a little more saavy (but ultimately lazier) about it, build it with Javascript/JQuery too so you can just represent each of your scenes and choices as objects and then automatically generate the views/scenes from those objects as you make your decisions. Wow, just saved that dude 3000 bucks.

Zemyla posted:

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought that.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Ultraklystron posted:

You can literally program a dating sim in HTML/CSS (HTML5/CSS3 if you want to be a little fancier visually and save state,) and then just wrap in a web view for whatever platforms you're targeting. If you want to be a little more saavy (but ultimately lazier) about it, build it with Javascript/JQuery too so you can just represent each of your scenes and choices as objects and then automatically generate the views/scenes from those objects as you make your decisions. Wow, just saved that dude 3000 bucks.
Obviously he wants to use the best technology has to offer:
https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/15905
https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/9270

Gao
Aug 14, 2005
"Something." - A famous guy

Zaphod42 posted:

Somebody needs to quote the picture because GOD drat :stonk:

Nightmare.jpg

Seriously that's like the most unappealing thing I've ever seen in my entire life. Kill it with fire, from orbit.

Never thought I'd see people want Sabazios to jack them off, but I guess there's a fetish for everything.

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!
"3. Did I mention making a game COSTS A LOT OF MONEY? A unity license is $1,500, and $1,500 more if I want to make something for IOS or Android. That's 10% right there."

gently caress YOU. XNA, Allegro et al. have so much resources that they're overkill to display still pictures and text box. Hell you could even program in OpenGL without much hassle. Two triangles for the BG, two more for the text box, assign textures, assign bitmap font textures, done. Plus they're $0 against the $1500 that the super duper Pixel Shader 3.1a 3D Engine with precise real time physics you want to use.

Unity is like the "people who actually got through a Java 101 tutorial" version of Game Maker.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

Ultraklystron posted:

Because all the cool games use Unity :colbert:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/vjones/broken-down-sign

quote:

This is a sign that can save lives. It reflects at night on the back of a vehicle for a vehicle that is broken down.

My project is a sign that go on all vehicle that is broken down at night you can alert others vehicles that your car isn't in working condition simply affix the magnetic sign to any vehicles and the magnetic don't fit all vehicle so I made some sticker that also reflective at night time this broken down sign go on the back of your vehicle so when others peoples vehicle head lights hit the sign it then reflects to show you the vehicle is broken down this sign can help save people lives and from getting hurt

quote:

Risks and challenges

If and when an obstacle do come my which they have already been my way I will keep moving foreword . I will never quit .
truly inspiring

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Whatever happened to pulling over and putting your hood up?

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Out of curiosity, I looked at the backers for this project, since I couldn't believe it got any funding whatsoever. Turns out, pretty much all of the backers (except one) have approximately the exact same number of projects backed, and all have generic names and photos.

They all have funded pretty much the same handful of projects, some of which are moderately popular and others with like $100 of a $50k goal.

So I guess there are kickstarter bots out there? I cant think of a purpose for such a thing, but I'm curious as to why they exist. Also, they all seem toreally want to keep their sandwiches from getting soggy, something I haven't had happen to me in about 30 years
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1805817611/the-cooler-caddie-the-coolest-outdoor-accessory-ar

edit: another example
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2018072788/bang-boy-die-boy/backers

check out the backers then check out the project. What's going on?

Madcosby has a new favorite as of 07:03 on Oct 4, 2014

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Maybe they are making small donations in hopes that they will return the favor with a donation?

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Windows 98 posted:

Maybe they are making small donations in hopes that they will return the favor with a donation?

They don't seem to have projects of their own and all the mystery backers are backing the same, very random, projects

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Then I would assume it's probably some sort of service they pay for. They pay a company $100 and then the company donates $100 to their cause with different accounts. It makes it look like there is some sort of interest in their project and hopefully gives others incentive to hop on board.

Elissia
Dec 28, 2012

Windows 98 posted:

Then I would assume it's probably some sort of service they pay for. They pay a company $100 and then the company donates $100 to their cause with different accounts. It makes it look like there is some sort of interest in their project and hopefully gives others incentive to hop on board.

I'm sure they could hire Noni to whip goonspeople into a donation frenzy for less than $100.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Isn't that literally exactly the purpose of those orange reflective hazard triangles that every car comes with?

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Talorat posted:

Isn't that literally exactly the purpose of those orange reflective hazard triangles that every car comes with?

What country are you from that cars come with those? Although my family's only purchased two cars new ever, neither they nor any of the used cars we've had ever came with reflective hazard triangles in the US.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Hey guys, let's ditch cartridge razors and buy this innovative new 150 year old safety razor design and reinvent ourselves

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Talorat posted:

Exactly this - furthermore, at least in EU, it is a legal requirement to have and there are regulations on how far from a car it needs to be set up depending where have you stopped. Plus - your car already comes with alarm lights that can be used as well.

edit: no, you have to buy those, but it's mandatory to have, same with fire extinguisher and first aid kit.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

Hey guys, let's ditch cartridge razors and buy this innovative new 150 year old safety razor design and reinvent ourselves

You could back this for US$60 and get a razor, or get an almost entirely identical one for half that.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

NTRabbit posted:

Use Kickstarter. Sell something that already exists. Get over $100,000 as a result. :psyduck:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Half the reason to use a safety razor is to brag about how cool and different you are, if you order one from kickstarter it's even better!

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

TetsuoTW posted:

You could back this for US$60 and get a razor, or get an almost entirely identical one for half that.

I'm pretty sure that's because the kickstarter one is a Chinese knockoff of that very Merkur razor that they're importing/reselling at ludicrous markup. Expect some fallout in ~3 months when the chrome flakes off and they disintegrate into a heap of rust.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Safety razors never felt as good as a cheap 4 or 5 blade razor.

torgo
Aug 13, 2003

Fun Shoe

People have pointed out that Unity is pretty stupid for a visual novel, especially since Ren'Py, a totally free visual novel framework, exists and he already claims to have a prototype in it.

Speaking of that prototype, let's look at the one screenshot he released:

What's wrong with Bear-senpai's left shoulder? That's the guy's artistic talent. He took the following image(with permission, maybe?) and used his totally awesome art mspaint skills to un-crop the bear.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

eithedog posted:

Exactly this - furthermore, at least in EU, it is a legal requirement to have and there are regulations on how far from a car it needs to be set up depending where have you stopped. Plus - your car already comes with alarm lights that can be used as well.

edit: no, you have to buy those, but it's mandatory to have, same with fire extinguisher and first aid kit.

In the US you don't need any of those with your car. Commercial vehicles are different however, and I think they are required to have at least the orange things.

Also, what's wrong with having the Hazard Lights on?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
You can't put the hazard lights on if what broke on your car involved the electrical system. :geno:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

torgo posted:

People have pointed out that Unity is pretty stupid for a visual novel, especially since Ren'Py, a totally free visual novel framework, exists and he already claims to have a prototype in it.

What's wrong with Bear-senpai's left shoulder? That's the guy's artistic talent. He took the following image(with permission, maybe?) and used his totally awesome art mspaint skills to un-crop the bear.

Also, that's not a very impressive "Prototype" since you could literally make that screenshot in Photoshop.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

AlmightyBob posted:

Safety razors never felt as good as a cheap 4 or 5 blade razor.

I don't care for multi blade razors, and I especially don't care for the massive razor burn and ingrown hairs I get when I use them. They're more convenient, but I prefer safety or straight razors.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I don't care for multi blade razors, and I especially don't care for the massive razor burn and ingrown hairs I get when I use them. They're more convenient, but I prefer safety or straight razors.

Maybe you should try not just mashing them against your face, of all things you really shouldn't be getting massive razor burn from them but not getting any from safety razors.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
I'm not quite sure what to make of this:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/pavlok-the-habit-changing-device-that-shocks-you

It's a little thing that interfaces with a mobile app and shocks you when you engage in various unhealthy behaviors. They mention going to fast food places and not going to the gym (easy enough to detect via GPS), but also biting your nails and pressing the snooze button (not so much).

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'm pretty sure spending $150 to get a machine to do something for you in the opposite of willpower.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Nintendo Kid posted:

Maybe you should try not just mashing them against your face, of all things you really shouldn't be getting massive razor burn from them but not getting any from safety razors.

The razor burn is from the ridiculous number of blades cutting my thin, curly facial hair under the skin. I know how to shave with a safety, so it should be pretty obvious I know how not to apply pressure when shaving.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Waffleman_ posted:

Also, that's not a very impressive "Prototype" since you could literally make that screenshot in Photoshop.

It'd also take less than five minutes to do in Renpy, three lines of script. Oh but he wants a Unity pro license to do it in that :downs:

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Safety razors are fine. Cartridge razors are fine. No one gives a gently caress what you shave with, as long as you got that gross-rear end neckbeard under control.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

torgo posted:

lol cmon man this is lazy, it says like directly under the screenshot its a borrowed image

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Is there some kind of fancy new abacus or slide rule I could be importing from China and charging 500% markup for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Bear Senpai added a new image of the highest quality

Also they're at over 50% funding. Something else I noticed,

quote:

3. Making a game COSTS A LOT OF MONEY-- well, it can, sometimes. It doesn't necessarily have to but this is kind of an opportunity for me to pay a few people for some code, music, art, and right now the market place is rough and a lot of people can't find jobs! So this is kinda my chance to help a little.

Cool, it's an ideas guy kickstarter. I also don't get why they're so stubborn on needing Unity. If the targets are only OSX, Win, Ouya..Renpy does all those. For free. Hell they did the fuckin' 'prototype' (again, three whole lines of script to show the bg, sprite and a single text line) in it.

I'm thinking way too hard on this. gently caress you, Kickstarter.