Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Prester John posted:

From my perspective of being raised in wingnut world, I'll try to shed some light on why I think this is. Remember how saddened you were when you found out Robin Williams died? He had been a part of your childhood, a man who connected with you on a deep level. For evangelicals its kind of like what Robin Williams suicide was in terms of the emotional blow, but actually much worse. 7th Heaven was, and in some ways still is, kind of a big deal to evangelicals. It was something they could point to as evidence that they were turning the tide around in the culture wars. It was a good wholesome family show that thrived despite evil liberal hollywood despising family values. I can remember families where the only regular TV show the kids were allowed to watch was 7th heaven. Church's would organize youth events around it, I remember youth sermons designed around whatever had happened in that weeks episode. For some in the evangelical world, the fictional pastor might as well have been a real one, as far as their emotional attachment was concerned.

And now in one zip that is all ripped away forever. 7th Heaven has been pulled and will probably never see the light of day again. One of the last sources of mental refuge they had that family values might someday be mainstream again. All that is gone now and anything even tangentially related to this man is forever poison. They can't point to it anymore, watch it with their kids, pass it on, nothing. Its dead forever. For people who believe in liberal conspiracies, this must surely be one. I mean look at how perfectly this just ruined a pure, good, wholesome thing. Do you really think that happened all by chance? So like the Mother in Donnie Darko they find that some form of denial or deflection is easier to live with than face the awful truth.

Even if it gets pulled from syndication on TV it'll just pick back up on iTunes or Amazon or wherever. So long as there's money to be made it'll be available somewhere. If anything I'd expect there's a surge of people accessing it right now scouring for snippets of video for use in funny GIF images.

Edit: gently caress my grammar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Holy poo poo, Billy Carter and Roger Clinton would have had nothing on the Palins

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Savage is acting like ebola is the the end of the world.

He's officially gone full :tinfoil: and was even on Alex Jones the other day. He's openly missing that Obama may be letting Ebola in the US intentionally to reduce the human population because ecoterrorism or some poo poo.

And the whole time it's this constant refrain of "I'm was right, I'm currently right, and I'll always be right." The man's ego needs constantly massaging, and I think that's the main reason he's on radio.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Tab8715 posted:

TMZ does investigative journalism? I thought it was just a lovely tabloid.

It's just like any mainstream newspaper or magazine. Most of the content is bullshit or routine stories, and often enough a good journalist is attached and puts out something really good.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Prester John posted:

From my perspective of being raised in wingnut world, I'll try to shed some light on why I think this is. Remember how saddened you were when you found out Robin Williams died? He had been a part of your childhood, a man who connected with you on a deep level. For evangelicals its kind of like what Robin Williams suicide was in terms of the emotional blow, but actually much worse. 7th Heaven was, and in some ways still is, kind of a big deal to evangelicals. It was something they could point to as evidence that they were turning the tide around in the culture wars. It was a good wholesome family show that thrived despite evil liberal hollywood despising family values. I can remember families where the only regular TV show the kids were allowed to watch was 7th heaven. Church's would organize youth events around it, I remember youth sermons designed around whatever had happened in that weeks episode. For some in the evangelical world, the fictional pastor might as well have been a real one, as far as their emotional attachment was concerned.

And now in one zip that is all ripped away forever. 7th Heaven has been pulled and will probably never see the light of day again. One of the last sources of mental refuge they had that family values might someday be mainstream again. All that is gone now and anything even tangentially related to this man is forever poison. They can't point to it anymore, watch it with their kids, pass it on, nothing. Its dead forever. For people who believe in liberal conspiracies, this must surely be one. I mean look at how perfectly this just ruined a pure, good, wholesome thing. Do you really think that happened all by chance? So like the Mother in Donnie Darko they find that some form of denial or deflection is easier to live with than face the awful truth.

I really want to know because if I am just being ignorant be sure to correct me, but why don't they show interest in the movie the Apostle, I mean there's a movie that really does convey a story of being with God.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Nintendo Kid posted:

It's just like any mainstream newspaper or magazine. Most of the content is bullshit or routine stories, and often enough a good journalist is attached and puts out something really good.

Umm,

The slogan of TMZ is Celebrity Gossip, Entertainment News, etc...

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

That they came in a stretch limo hummer was all I needed to read to know what was going down. Also, that old lady was right, gently caress the Palins.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Ralepozozaxe posted:

That they came in a stretch limo hummer was all I needed to read to know what was going down. Also, that old lady was right, gently caress the Palins.

Honestly, a stretch limo hummer isn't as stupid an idea as it sounds. Those suckers are big so I imagine a limo-hummer is huge and spacy as gently caress inside.

Now, what is absurd and stupid (and does, sadly, exist) is a stretch limo pickup truck.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Tab8715 posted:

Umm,

The slogan of TMZ is Celebrity Gossip, Entertainment News, etc...

And? You ever look at mainstream magazines and newspapers these days buddy?

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Crowsbeak posted:

I really want to know because if I am just being ignorant be sure to correct me, but why don't they show interest in the movie the Apostle, I mean there's a movie that really does convey a story of being with God.

I had to look this one up because I had never heard of it. After watching the trailer it depicts a man in a position of spiritual authority that has flaws. That throws the whole thing out right there. The congregation would be able to use their discernment to know that he wasn't truly the lords anointed and would never have followed him in the first place. True Christians would have seen right through him instantly. This is a Liberal hit piece.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Prester John posted:

I had to look this one up because I had never heard of it. After watching the trailer it depicts a man in a position of spiritual authority that has flaws. That throws the whole thing out right there. The congregation would be able to use their discernment to know that he wasn't truly the lords anointed and would never have followed him in the first place. True Christians would have seen right through him instantly. This is a Liberal hit piece.

This was absolutely how it was described to me when I was a kid.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Aliquid posted:

This was absolutely how it was described to me when I was a kid.

Wow, you know it seems funny that some people who claim to be out to save people cannot deal with a movie about a flawed man trying to live by the law of God. Who constantly tries to save his fellow man. Also just found it on Netflix.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
"Discernment" is basically a psychic superpower true Christians have. Among many things Discernment imparts:

It allows them to know who is anointed and who is not.

God can whisper to them through it to tell them what they should do with their lives. God has a special plan for each one of us, and once you have discernment you can feel where God wants you to be.

It allows you to sense the presence of demons in others(can see it in their eyes), or to know when demons are manipulating a person in a plot against you.

Sometimes gives you brief visions so you can know the truth of something. My Father once had "a moment of discernment" where he had a vision of exactly who had set a building on fire.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

And people say Catholics are weird.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Rorus Raz posted:

Savage is acting like ebola is the the end of the world.

He's officially gone full :tinfoil: and was even on Alex Jones the other day. He's openly missing that Obama may be letting Ebola in the US intentionally to reduce the human population because ecoterrorism or some poo poo.

And the whole time it's this constant refrain of "I'm was right, I'm currently right, and I'll always be right." The man's ego needs constantly massaging, and I think that's the main reason he's on radio.

I watched this whole interview. Jones and Savage getting along is some "We were always at War with Eurasia" poo poo, because I can recall them trashing each other for various reasons over the years. I've had a pet theory for a while now that as the wingnuts decrease in overall number/power in society, they will compensate by voltroning the various wingnut factions together. UFO nuts and Militia Groups, Conspiracy Theorists and crystal shaman- All united together to fight the 4th dimensional blood drinking reptilian aliens that secretly posses the leaders of the Illuminati Globalist cabal to keep us enslaved on this prison planet.

If I'm right, gonna be some weird rear end bedfellows. Should at the least be very entertaining.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Prester John posted:

"Discernment" is basically a psychic superpower true Christians have. Among many things Discernment imparts:

God can whisper to them through it to tell them what they should do with their lives. God has a special plan for each one of us, and once you have discernment you can feel where God wants you to be.

It allows you to sense the presence of demons in others(can see it in their eyes), or to know when demons are manipulating a person in a plot against you.

Sometimes gives you brief visions so you can know the truth of something. My Father once had "a moment of discernment" where he had a vision of exactly who had set a building on fire.

holy poo poo, gently caress discernment. it's 100% the application of authority to those who can pull it off and the total spiritual disenfranchisement of those who can't

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul
I guess we won't be seeing much of Bruce in future seasons of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

I love that his wife went to a lawyer to make sure it was okay to secretly record her husband's therapy sessions so she could use them against him. I feel like she might not have been entirely sincere in her efforts to patch up the marriage.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Centripetal Horse posted:

I guess we won't be seeing much of Bruce in future seasons of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

Honestly, if they made him work for scale and made the character into a disgusting pedophile (the more creepy similarities to the real case and the more shameless and brazen they make him, the better), it would be worth it. Take advantage of the fact that he's most likely never getting steady work again and use it as an opportunity to poo poo on him further, I say.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

They've already got Cricket.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Honestly, if they made him work for scale and made the character into a disgusting pedophile (the more creepy similarities to the real case and the more shameless and brazen they make him, the better), it would be worth it. Take advantage of the fact that he's most likely never getting steady work again and use it as an opportunity to poo poo on him further, I say.

That depends on whether or not he's going to jail.

Is there a statute of limitation for child molestation?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Prester John posted:

Is that what was behind that whole business of George W. Bush "looking into Putin's eyes" and being able to know that he was a swell fellow?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Zwabu posted:

Is that what was behind that whole business of George W. Bush "looking into Putin's eyes" and being able to know that he was a swell fellow?

Yes and the same way Bush could tell Saddan had WMDs.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Prester John posted:

As a Christian who is completely out of evangelical culture, I didn't see this firsthand, but I can second it.

Since at least the '80s, and the dawn of the televangelist, there's been a huge push for "family friendly" Christian-themed programming that's exactly what you think it is. There's Christian radio, TV, publications and anything else all devoted around one central thing, and that thing is simply a homogenous evangelical culture that has absolutely no soul or discernible interesting things about it.

Everything and everyone is as sugary as humanly possible. Every adult is always portrayed as centered around their spouse and family, almost exclusively (unless they are a pastor or Small-Town Occupation). No problems ever come up that a small child could not solve. Everyone talks as if they are talking to a small child, no matter what the age.

7th Heaven is basically the one time this kind of crap made it onto regular television. There is an absolute ton of this stuff though, primarily found in the DVD section of big-box national Christian bookstores, right next to Mike Huckabee and Ben Carson books.

Kalos posted:

It wasn't super right wing, it was religious feel good glurge. Pastor Dad was the protagonist of every religious email forward, his good girl prodigy daughter decided to become a pastor at the end of the series, the young kids kept to themselves and only made a peep when it was time to say something cutesy, and all problems were solved through faith and love.

It was the fictional America that evangelicals are convinced was real and existed when they were kids.

Pretty much. It's all this way, just sugary crap with no actual filling (either sincere Christianity or anything humanizing). There's whole radio networks devoted to "Family Radio" that's literally just Evangelical Mom Radio - couple talking about their kids in the most childish of ways, with everything, even things said to be for adults, that are easy enough for children to figure out.

It's brutal.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Prester John posted:

And now in one zip that is all ripped away forever. 7th Heaven has been pulled and will probably never see the light of day again. One of the last sources of mental refuge they had that family values might someday be mainstream again. All that is gone now and anything even tangentially related to this man is forever poison.

Somewhere out there a kickstarter for a new season of Revolution on Netflix just died a silent little death.

:patriot:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Nintendo Kid posted:

And? You ever look at mainstream magazines and newspapers these days buddy?

Yes, I read the New York Times, In-Forum, Gawker, etc on nearly a daily basis.

TMZ is lovely tabloid. Sure, they might have a few things but it's pretty obvious their primary focus is celebrity gossip.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

AsInHowe posted:

As a Christian who is completely out of evangelical culture, I didn't see this firsthand, but I can second it.

Since at least the '80s, and the dawn of the televangelist, there's been a huge push for "family friendly" Christian-themed programming that's exactly what you think it is. There's Christian radio, TV, publications and anything else all devoted around one central thing, and that thing is simply a homogenous evangelical culture that has absolutely no soul or discernible interesting things about it.

Everything and everyone is as sugary as humanly possible. Every adult is always portrayed as centered around their spouse and family, almost exclusively (unless they are a pastor or Small-Town Occupation). No problems ever come up that a small child could not solve. Everyone talks as if they are talking to a small child, no matter what the age.

7th Heaven is basically the one time this kind of crap made it onto regular television. There is an absolute ton of this stuff though, primarily found in the DVD section of big-box national Christian bookstores, right next to Mike Huckabee and Ben Carson books.

Pretty much. It's all this way, just sugary crap with no actual filling (either sincere Christianity or anything humanizing). There's whole radio networks devoted to "Family Radio" that's literally just Evangelical Mom Radio - couple talking about their kids in the most childish of ways, with everything, even things said to be for adults, that are easy enough for children to figure out.

It's brutal.

Absolutely this. This is a from an awful Christian move called "The Buttercream Gang." The buttercreamers (not making that up, they actually refer to themselves that way) are a gang of young boys that spend all their free time volunteering to help the elderly and infirm in their neighborhood. It is an old club that started druing WWII when neighberhood boys would go churn butter because all the men were off to war. The plot is that President of the buttercreamers, the most wholesome of them, moves to a big city to live with some relatives for reasons. After six months in the big city he comes back completely transformed into a godless hellraiser. (But not really, since most of the poo poo he does is actually extremely minor) He forms his own rival gang based on petty theft and blah blah blah.

This represents an honest and genuine attempt to tell a story with humanized characters.

To make sense of this I would like to say that evangelicals conceive of "entertainment" in an entirely different way. Entertainment is not about being entertained or blowing off some steam. (Frankly that concept is almost totally devoid in evangelicals, its as incomprehensible to them as Chan culture would have been if you time machined it to the 18th century.) Entertainment is about learning how to be a better godly person, especially for children. Every facet of of their life possible *MUST* be designed to further reinforce their godliness. This movie was actually controversial in my particular wingnut community and only the older children "who were ready for it" were allowed to watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOWW-r0AWr8

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Wow Pete seems like he could have used some psychiatric help. What happened to him in Chicago?

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Wow Pete seems like he could have used some psychiatric help. What happened to him in Chicago?

OBAMA!!! :bahgawd:

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Not sure if those Christian feel good movies are better or worse than parents who made their children watch Kids

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Good Citizen posted:

Not sure if those Christian feel good movies are better or worse than parents who made their children watch Kids

Kids was a good movie which taught me the cool kids probably have AIDS.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Good Citizen posted:

That happened???

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

That happened???

As someone who was like 12 when it came out..., yeah

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Back in the day a friend of mine's mom took him to see Mallrats because she thought it was a Rugrats movie.

oops

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Al Jazeera is the best news source.

Let that sink in
Don't really see the problem here, Al Jazeera English is awesome.:colbert:

Once you get past the fact that Al Jazeera sounds :supaburn:Middle Eastern:supaburn: (because it is:v:) there's nothing really odd about the fact that a news channel that doesn't give a poo poo about dumbing down the news to be "acceptable" to delicate Western sensibilities (read: only allows "acceptable" stories and viewpoints) and gives a non-Western perspective to major news stories is the best news channel.

Seriously, seeing a livecast from a Palestinian hospital during the last flareup slaughter was astonishing and depressing as all gently caress, especially when compared to every other news channel. I'd love to see what would happen if every news channel was replaced by a livestream of Al Jazeera English for a month (or even a week); the chaos it would cause when all the standard talking points are hosed up by the reality on the ground would be amazing to watch.:getin:

AsInHowe posted:

The disparity between the fake, cheery reality of 7th Heaven and the horrible, depressing hell of Prester John's firsthand accounts of what growing up in an ACE "school" was like is incredible for the tonal whiplash between the two. Seriously, all the happy smiling people on TV and the misery and despair of reality is amazing since the Evangelicals think they're one and the same, when they're actually the complete opposite.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

fade5 posted:

Don't really see the problem here, Al Jazeera English is awesome.:colbert:

Once you get past the fact that Al Jazeera sounds :supaburn:Middle Eastern:supaburn: (because it is:v:) there's nothing really odd about the fact that a news channel that doesn't give a poo poo about dumbing down the news to be "acceptable" to delicate Western sensibilities (read: only allows "acceptable" stories and viewpoints) and gives a non-Western perspective to major news stories is the best news channel.

Real fans watch the subbed version

:smug:

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

fade5 posted:

The disparity between the fake, cheery reality of 7th Heaven and the horrible, depressing hell of Prester John's firsthand accounts of what growing up in an ACE "school" was like is incredible for the tonal whiplash between the two. Seriously, all the happy smiling people on TV and the misery and despair of reality is amazing since the Evangelicals think they're one and the same, when they're actually the complete opposite.

This sounds interesting - do you have a link to the thread?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Rush posted:

Now, you add to this what she just reminded us all of, about how HIV became a politically correct disease. HIV, in the early days, I remember what people said about it. It was the first disease that had civil rights. It was the first disease that had civil rights, human rights and so forth, and it was all about privacy. Remember that, Snerdley? It was all about making sure that we did not find out who had it, because that was an immediate stigma, and that would lead to discrimination, and that would lead to no treatment.

So we were not allowed to know who had it. We were not allowed to know how it was acquired. That was also a biggie. The way it was acquired was suppressed. And there were stories, you just wait, this disease doesn't know orientation. This disease could spread like wildfire everywhere. There were all kinds of politically correct attachments with HIV. And it's possible the same thing could happen here.

From a few pages back but I had to comment on this. This is some of the worst revisionist history I've ever heard, and we know Limbaugh does it a lot.

HIV/AIDS was the disease that nobody wanted to know about. It was that "human being disease" that everyone made fun of and joked but secretly hoped would wipe out the gay population forever if we just ignored it. The first time I ever heard about AIDS it was followed by the punch line "Anally Injected Death Sperm". It was universally ignored and hushed up until "regular people" started getting it, and by then everyone was a loving hypocrite for caring about it.

THIS was the early days of AIDS.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Foyes36 posted:

This sounds interesting - do you have a link to the thread?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3659026

This one specifically was upsetting to read:

Prester John posted:

Okay, so here is a bit I've been working on for months on and off. It goes over some of the same materiqal already described in the thread but bear with it, it really drills down into what my experience was like.

In A.C.E. it falls to the students to check, or "score" their own work. Once a page in a workbook is completed the student is to raise their flags and wait for a supervisor to come grant them permission to take their work to the "scoring table". At the scoring table is a copy of each workbook with all the answers filled in correctly, as well as red pens. A student then goes line by line with a red pen checking their own work, returns to their desk and corrects any errors found, then again raises their flag to get permission to "re-score" and check that any errors have now been corrected.

As it turns out, being the completely bored and utterly unengaged student that I was, I was terrible at this.

And that became a massive problem when my Supervisor (think teacher, except without actually teaching anything ever, having a teaching certificate, or having ever attended college for even a single day) gathered up all my PACE's from the past month and checked every single one for any "scoring errors", or mistakes I had made that I hadn't marked with a red X at the scoring table. Each of these was viewed as a deliberate act of rebellion, and each carried the penalty of a demerit. It didn't matter how trivial (literally undotted i's or uncrossed t's, i's before e's in the wrong order) they were all treated as heinous crimes.

I can still remember the first time I walked into the classroom, coming back from lunch. I was in a good jovial mood, completely unaware of what was going on. But as soon as I saw that the Supervisor had all of my PACE's, I knew something was amiss. She skewered me with an enraged glare that terrified me. She refused to speak to me, so for nearly 20 minutes I sat at my desk unable to work, completely confused by what was transpiring, fear slowly creeping over me.

Finally she came over to me. With a stern glare she told me that she had found 47 "scoring violations", and she was giving me a demerit for each and everyone. Terror swept over me.

Demerits were a big deal. At 3 demerits you started accruing detention time. At 7 demerits you started accruing "Whacks", or blows from a wooden paddle the Pastor kept in his office. Each demerit past 7 was a whack, so I suddenly owed 42 whacks, I couldn't even comprehend that many. I was terrified.

Whacks were a big deal, a big big deal. And I had never actually received one before.

My parents were called, and a long discussion took place but I was told no details, other than that I was going to get whacked tomorrow. I didn't sleep a wink that night, a knot of terror in my stomach kept me awake. I couldn't even eat I was so terrified. I was nine years old.

The day progressed slowly, agonizingly slowly, every hour the sense of dread and forboding grew. I hadn't been told how many whacks I was going to receive, or really any details. I was only told that it was going to happen at some point that day. I stared at the clock wishing desperately that it would be tomorrow already so that this could be over and done with. Sometime around 2 in the afternoon I vomited in the bathroom.

Finally, sometime around 4, hours after school had ended, a Supervisor brought me to the Principles office. My parents were there, as well as several of the elders. They lectured me on my "willful disobedience" for about 20 minutes and warned me about the dangers of my "spirit of rebellion". They told me they were going to show me "grace" by only giving me one whack this time. I took it all in, shaking the entire time. Then we prayed.

The Pastor implored the Lord to use this Whack to teach me the ways of righteousness, and to guide me to a spirit of thanksgiving for having adults in my life whom cared enough about me to discipline me this way.

After we prayed the Pastor looked me in the eyes and said "Son, were going to instill fear of the Lord in you." (Every time this happened, and there would be many more times, he would say this exact thing right before he struck me.) Then I was bent over a heater, the Pastor hefted a thick oaken paddle. There were different paddles for different age groups. The one for Kindergartners was a switch, the one for teenagers had holes drilled in it to reduce wind resistance. The one for me was a thick oaken one about the size of a breadboard. Like lining up a golf swing, the Pastor traced a path in the air with the paddle, from my butt to almost the ceiling.

The blow struck me so hard my whole body went numb, my head was pushed into the wall. Then the pain hit, the most pain I had ever experienced in my life, I started to wriggle and writhe, unable to cope. I couldn't breathe, I was choking on tears, completely overwhelmed. The Pastor grabbed me in a big bear hug while I squirmed, terrified of him. He made us pray together and made me thank him for this Godly discipline.

And that was the first time.

Thereafter, every so often, with no warning, and for no reason I could discern, my Supervisor would sweep up all my paces and inspect them with a fine tooth comb. I would always be out of the room when she did this, and I would come back to see my PACE's gone, and the whole process would repeat. I learned to live in terror of unexpected attention from authority figures, and over time I started to always be on guard, to never let myself get too relaxed. It always seemed like she would do this whenever I was happiest, whenever I was achieving and actually doing well.

Each time it happened, more whacks and longer detentions were added. And each time I would promise myself that it would be the last, that I would try harder this time and make sure that I never missed a single mistake when I was scoring. But my Teacher always found plenty of scoring violations whenever she decided to look. She would spend over an hour sometimes inspecting my PACE's, sometimes going back and getting PACE's I had done months before and inspecting those as well.

I tried so hard but it never seemed to make a difference, I always wound up shamed and beaten.

They demanded what felt like the impossible from me. My whole existence became one of terror, dreading the moment an authority figure decided to check over my work. Mistakes that had escaped my notice from weeks before could suddenly rear up, each and every page of each and every PACE searched for every overlooked error. The mountain of evidence thrown at me out of the blue, no warning, no way of seeing it coming. The punishment was physical assaults on my person. No matter how hard I tried I could never be good enough to escape these seemingly random assaults on myself, I had always overlooked something, always made a bunch of mistakes, I was always wrong. I was bad, I was broken. The evidence was staring me in the face. My only hope was the pain these good people inflicted on me, the knots of terror that kept me awake at night was my righteous punishment from God for the spirit of rebellion I carried against him. I wanted to desperately to be good, to be found worthy, to be able to be accepted like the other kids, to have this stain washed away from me.

I wanted to find a way to fear the Lord enough that I would stop being bad.

My desperate pleadings to the Lord went unanswered, and it sank in that I was broken, perhaps hopelessly so. I withdrew into myself, hating myself. I deserved this pain, I deserved this fear, why couldn't I just do what I was told. I stopped all my hobbies and focused only on schoolwork, I didn't deserve to play video games or go outside like the other kids, I was bad. Once I stopped getting whacks, once I stopped sinning, once I got this spirit of rebellion out of me, once the beatings stopped, then I could be like the other kids. Then I could allow myself to be happy. But not until then.

Months later, after my first round of whacks for scoring errors I was celebrating thanksgiving with my family. We were at the house of one of my cousins, it was a large party for our family with several dozen in attendance. One of my aunts noticed how quiet I was, how I wasn't out playing with my other cousins. She asked my Father about it.

"Well" my Father began with a half smirk "He had some troubles at school, wasn't trying hard enough. So we decided to give him a couple whacks on the tush. Ever since then he's been real quiet and obedient, his teachers have all complimented how he never speaks up or gets in trouble anymore, he just puts his head down and does his schoolwork. I know some idiot liberals think you shouldn't hit your kids but its the best thing we ever did."

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Holy poo poo the Wikipedia article for this movie is way too long and detailed for a direct-to-video movie.