Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Bruiser posted:

life hack ack ack ack ack ack ack

What the--! Where do all these stupid sinks come from?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Bruiser posted:

...What kind of modern day faucet has two taps.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
I believe it's actually a legal requirement in the :britain:

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine

Bruiser posted:

As someone who was born and spent half his life in a :ussr: country, but now lives in Canada, I am still amazed by the retarded design of faucets in North America.

Need a faucet for a kitchen sink? Lets install one that has separate faucets for cold and hot so that the only way to wash dishes is by filling the sink with water first! Want to wash a single dish? gently caress you!

Need a faucet for your bathroom? Lets install a super short one so that when you're washing your hands you're grinding your knuckles on the far wall of the sink the entire time.

:thumbsup:

Greatbacon posted:

Amazing

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Present posted:

As someone who was born and spent half his life in a :ussr: country, but now lives in Canada, I am still amazed by the retarded design of faucets in North America.

Need a faucet for a kitchen sink? Lets install one that has separate faucets for cold and hot so that the only way to wash dishes is by filling the sink with water first! Want to wash a single dish? gently caress you!

Need a faucet for your bathroom? Lets install a super short one so that when you're wash your hands you're grinding your knuckles on the far wall of the sink the entire time.

Amazing

Short faucet, I'll give ya, but we down here in :911: tend to have one-faucet sinks. :colbert:

Greatbacon posted:

That's hosed up.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Greatbacon posted:

I can't remember the last time I saw a kitchen sink with two taps, so I'm pretty sure that's not true.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

ChaosArgate posted:

Short faucet, I'll give ya, but we down here in :911: tend to have one-faucet sinks. :colbert:

Yeah, here in the US I've generally only seen two faucet designs in either really old bathrooms/sinks (or ones made to look "old timey" and quaint,) and the occasional public restroom where not only are they separate faucets, but they are also push-activated, so you have to hold a level/button down the whole time you want water to come out. Like this:

gently caress they guy who came up with that design...how is that in any way practical? So to add to the horribleness of only getting hot OR cold water to wash my hands, I now can only get hot or cold on ONE HAND at a time.

Edit: And as a bonus, those faucets there are also super short.

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine
^^^

I am so angry right now.

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

Present posted:

I'm sorry for your misfortune but I've lived in Canada my entire life, and in several provinces, and have never seen separate faucets on a kitchen sink. I've seen a few on bathroom sinks, but even those are rare.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Greatbacon posted:

This is not true. We have both and it's only more common to have separate taps because of cultural inertia (if it is even more common I have no idea).

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

Puntification posted:

This is not true. We have both and it's only more common to have separate taps because of cultural inertia (if it is even more common I have no idea).

This video pretty much explains it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfHgUu_8KgA

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Ar you people serious about only have one faucet handle? I'm in Canada and its pretty common. Like, both my bathroom, kitchen and utility basin. Try my husbands parents house, their bathtub had three faucet handles (????????).

E: both my reading and viewing comprehension are apparently non-existent at the moment.

54 40 or fuck has a new favorite as of 01:28 on Oct 10, 2014

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Toriori posted:

Ar you people serious about only have one faucet handle? I'm in Canada and its pretty common. Like, both my bathroom, kitchen and utility basin. Try my husbands parents house, their bathtub had three faucet handles (????????).

E: both my reading and viewing comprehension are apparently non-existent at the moment.

Are three faucet bathtubs rare? I think they make the most sense, one faucet for hot, one for cold, and one to turn on the showerhead.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

dovetaile posted:

Are three faucet bathtubs rare? I think they make the most sense, one faucet for hot, one for cold, and one to turn on the showerhead.

Three knobs, one actual hole-where-water-comes-out. That's what I grew up with and that's what makes the most sense. You can get the right temperature of water before you turn on the shower.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Present posted:

Need a faucet for your bathroom? Lets install a super short one so that when you're washing your hands you're grinding your knuckles on the far wall of the sink the entire time.

Amazing

Okay, I'm confused, how did you wash dishes in Soviet Russia?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Choco1980 posted:

In Soviet Russia, dishes...never mind.

We have single-faucet bathroom sinks (and showers) with a single knob that you pull up to turn on, push down to turn off, and twist left and right for hot and cold respectively. I'm not sure I like them, but I'm having a hard time picturing a good alternative.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Choco1980 posted:

I think his point was that you couldn't run the tap warm and rinse a dish easily. With two taps, you either washed with cold (and didn't get a good clean), or with hot (and burned the poo poo out of your hands). If you wanted to just was a single dish with warm water, you'd have to fill the sink a bit.

If you wanted to do a bunch you'd just fill the sink up like everywhere else, but just doing one was harder.

edit: :goonsay:

Coucho Marx has a new favorite as of 04:03 on Oct 10, 2014

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Present posted:

This is the worst. At least with separate taps there is a good reason why they used to be done that way, but why would you ever install a tap that's way too short for the sink? It's just crazy. Although not quite as crazy as the sink in my friend's laundry where the tap is too long. It's one of those ones that can pivot and extend, but the only way you can use it is diagonally and at the shortest setting, because anything else will put it past the edge of the sink.

walrusman posted:

Three knobs, one actual hole-where-water-comes-out. That's what I grew up with and that's what makes the most sense. You can get the right temperature of water before you turn on the shower.
How does this work? How can you tell what temperature you're going to get if the water isn't running yet?

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

Tiggum posted:

How does this work? How can you tell what temperature you're going to get if the water isn't running yet?

Practice? Personally I like the showers that have duel controls. Gives you much more control over the water temperature.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Tiggum posted:

This is the worst. At least with separate taps there is a good reason why they used to be done that way, but why would you ever install a tap that's way too short for the sink? It's just crazy. Although not quite as crazy as the sink in my friend's laundry where the tap is too long. It's one of those ones that can pivot and extend, but the only way you can use it is diagonally and at the shortest setting, because anything else will put it past the edge of the sink.

Presumably, you've used the same shower many times before, so you already know which settings you want. Unless you have a very unreliable water heater.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Set the temperature and power with the hot and cold, then swap from the bath tap to the shower tap with the third handle.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

ChaosArgate posted:

...What kind of modern day faucet has two taps.

I literally just had one pulled out of my bathroom yesterday. I haven't seen the new sinks the property managers have got yet, but I realllllly hope the new ones only have one.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Coney Island apartments used to a have a third tap for sea water

http://life.nationalpost.com/2014/03/22/jonathan-goldstein-my-dad-wasnt-lying-brooklyn-had-salt-water-taps-back-in-the-day/

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Lifehack, skip every post that has the word "faucet" in it! This is literally the dumbest most boring derail ever.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Tunicate posted:

Set the temperature and power with the hot and cold, then swap from the bath tap to the shower tap with the third handle.

This. You get the temperature all nice and toasty by adding the right amounts of hot and cold, and it all runs out of the lower faucet. When it's just right, turn the middle knob to divert the water from the normal faucet to the showerhead. No guesswork involved.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

A Moose posted:

Lifehack, skip every post that has the word "faucet" in it! This is literally the dumbest most boring derail ever.

But how will I, a loving adult, ever learn how to wash dishes with a tap that works slightly different than the one I currently own?!

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me

A Moose posted:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

walrusman posted:

This. You get the temperature all nice and toasty by adding the right amounts of hot and cold, and it all runs out of the lower faucet. When it's just right, turn the middle knob to divert the water from the normal faucet to the showerhead. No guesswork involved.

How is that more convenient? It's just adding a step to the process for no reason. It's no easier to get the right temperature with water coming out of the bath tap than if it's coming out of the shower head.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tiggum posted:

How is that more convenient? It's just adding a step to the process for no reason. It's no easier to get the right temperature with water coming out of the bath tap than if it's coming out of the shower head.

Except you aren't standing in it getting frozen or scalded while it heats up or cools down, or you aren't standing outside of the shower with the curtain/door open reaching inside to try to fiddle with the temperature.

Have you never used the two knob plus diverter configuration? It's definitely superior to any single-knob configuration I've ever seen in a shower.

A Moose posted:

O poo poo, you're right. Instead we should all bitch about it or empty quote you bitching about it without adding to the thread in any way whatsoever.

Lifehack: conversation not to your liking? Take a dump on the floor, I'm sure it will help somehow! WALLA

The Bloop has a new favorite as of 12:02 on Oct 10, 2014

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

No sources, nothing. Just pulling facts out of their rear end. This is the most popular one on Reddit.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
^ ^ ^ yes, we all know every piece of video game music is designed to keep you engaged! No matter what! Here, listen to this highly energetic and engaging piece:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CIxHyk8W-0

Won't put you to sleep at all, nosiree.

Trent posted:

O poo poo, you're right. Instead we should all bitch about it or empty quote you bitching about it without adding to the thread in any way whatsoever.

Faucet chat is legit a million times better than every other goon thinking they're being cool by quoting that "like a animal" thing over and over again, so at least there's that.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Want to feel ultimately superior than smug idiots arguing about antiquated plumbing? Spend more money than them.

#antilifehack

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

A Moose posted:

Is skimming past posts that don't interest you hard? Whine about it and call it a "derail" even in threads that don't have a set topic!

Sir_Substance
Dec 13, 2013

Bruiser posted:

Now, see, you say that, but guess what I'm doing to my bathroom taps tomorrow...

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sir_Substance posted:

Now, see, you say that, but guess what I'm doing to my bathroom taps tomorrow...

Replacing them with a mixer tap?

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

But why??

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

twoday posted:

But why??

Luxury. Gumming up your plumbing with filthy unfiltered sea water was considered luxurious. You can get all the health benefits of sitting in real fresh ocean water, maybe even with little things still swimming in it, without ever leaving your house! Your sister in Hoboken will be totally jealous.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Bruiser posted:

I'm the bonus stealth lifehack, "Put insulation tape on the handles of your lovely utensils so everyone knows they are yours."

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Trent posted:

Except you aren't standing in it getting frozen or scalded while it heats up or cools down, or you aren't standing outside of the shower with the curtain/door open reaching inside to try to fiddle with the temperature.

Have you never used the two knob plus diverter configuration? It's definitely superior to any single-knob configuration I've ever seen in a shower.
My shower is over the bath. There's one set of taps to turn the water on, and a button on the bath tap to switch between it and the shower head. If I want to have a shower, I set it to shower, stand in the bath (but not under the shower head) and turn the hot water on. When it heats up I turn the cold tap on gradually until it gets to the temperature I want.

When I used to live in a place with a stand-alone shower the procedure was much the same, except there was no ability to switch between bath and shower because there was no bath. I'd stand in the shower (but not under the shower head), turn the hot water on, wait for it to run hot, then add as much cold as necessary.

In my current situation, setting it to bath while the water heated up and cooled down would just mean I'd have to bend down to feel the water temperature. How could that be more convenient?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneaksie Taffer
Sep 21, 2009

Tiggum posted:

In my current situation, setting it to bath while the water heated up and cooled down would just mean I'd have to bend down to feel the water temperature. How could that be more convenient?

Use your foot. It's like dipping your toe into the pool or lake before jumping in.

Lifehack: use lower extremities to check water temperatures without bending over!