Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Gigi Galli posted:

I was also thinking this.
That's the thing that bothers me. If the players had an issue with playing on turf or refused to play on it for the WWC they should have raised the issue immediately instead of less than a year ahead of time. Female players from the United States and other countries who end up playing in the United States are probably used to FieldTurf by now, so it's not like they just figured what playing on it feels like.

Gigi Galli posted:

Russia is going to have to have real grass pitches for the World Cup, even though most of their stadiums are turf, right?
I'm guessing this is because the Russians are spending an amount of money on the World Cup that is far, far more than whatever the Canadian FA has access to.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Oct 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Tsaedje posted:

What surfaces would they play on if Canada hosted the men's World Cup? If the reason for the fake pitches is the climate it's not an issue of sexual discrimination. If FIFA requires the men's World Cup to be played on real grass but not the women's there is a slight case.

The reason for the fake pitches is that it's cheaper, because of the climate. There is a football stadium in Canada that has a real grass field (BMO Field in Toronto, not being used for the Women's World Cup because of really, really stupid reasons), but it used to have astroturf and it was total garbage. The players who played there regularly got injured all the time and it contributed to the team playing very poorly. Then, one time Real Madrid came for a friendly and the team installed real grass for that one match because Madrid's players didn't want to play on turf, and then removed it again after the friendly, and the team's players and fans raised such a poo poo fit that the team was willing to pay the extra money to cater to Real Madrid but not for their own players that finally they replaced it with a permanent real grass pitch. It's purely an issue of cost, that maintaining good grass is harder because of the climate but not impossible.

I believe the case being made (in Canadian human rights courts, remember, not in FIFA or sport courts) is that if Canada somehow managed to host the World Cup they would hold it on grass, but because the women's tournament is less important then they're not bothering to do the same. In Canada that kind of institutional discrimination is a big no-go, even if everyone knows that's how football operates globally.

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Tsaedje posted:

What surfaces would they play on if Canada hosted the men's World Cup? If the reason for the fake pitches is the climate it's not an issue of sexual discrimination. If FIFA requires the men's World Cup to be played on real grass but not the women's there is a slight case.

We'd lay down grass, owned

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I'm sure ol' Sepp "[females] could, for example, have tighter shorts" Blatter will resolve this to everyone's satisfaction.

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

Gigi Galli posted:

I was also thinking this.

Talking completely out of my rear end it's probably a standing issue - my guess is that until FIFA was 100% committed to using turf the case wasn't quite ready to bring before a court. Simply awarding the WWC to Canada didn't guarantee it (even if it was 99% likely) is they had to wait.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Crazy Ted posted:

Well then why didn't the players file suit when the WWC was first awarded to Canada since it was already known then that all of the stadiums would use FieldTurf?

Players might not have known at the time. Nobody reads until someone loud tells them to.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Earthy Ape Unit posted:

Talking completely out of my rear end it's probably a standing issue - my guess is that until FIFA was 100% committed to using turf the case wasn't quite ready to bring before a court. Simply awarding the WWC to Canada didn't guarantee it (even if it was 99% likely) is they had to wait.

That's also a good point, I wouldn't put it beyond FIFA to not announce the decision until that decision became irreversible.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Jermaine Dildoe posted:

We'd lay down grass, owned

I guess we'll find out in 2026.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
(Sepp Blatter sarcastic voice)

oooh Canadian human rights courts oooh scary im scared

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
That lovely FIFA movie cost $27 million. I'm sure they could've paid for a few grass fields with that money.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
You can't grow grass in Canada

Bio-Hazard
Mar 8, 2004
I HATE POLITICS IN SOCCER AS MUCH AS I LOVE RACISM IN SOCCER

Charlotte Hornets posted:

You can't grow grass in Canada

That's a lie, BC Bud is the best. :420:

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Bio-Hazard posted:

That's a lie, BC Bud is the best. :420:

Not since CA/OR/CO legalized it.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Tigren posted:

Not since CA/OR/CO legalized it.

not even close to the right states, it WA and CO

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

not even close to the right states, it WA and CO

Yeah Oregon is a huge pile of loving redneck fail, please don't confuse it with Washington, home of legal weed, a more successful economy, football supporters that believe in a proper gender binary, cooler ski mountains and *checks notes* a college football team that's actually beaten Arizona in the last 3 years.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Is anything stopping Canada from going "Ok fine, we won't host the WWC"?

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Great White Hope posted:

No, because money moves from one pocket to another and noone has any regard for the belles.

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

Great White Hope posted:

Canada is too polite to not host it after promising to.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

The women are lucky to even have a world cup to be honest. FIFA should spice things up by allowing a team of local high school boys to compete in it and win the whole thing, that would show them.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Earthy Ape Unit posted:

a college football team that's actually beaten Arizona in the last 3 years.

this is pure gold, ++A would read again

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001

African AIDS cum posted:

The women are lucky to even have a world cup to be honest. FIFA should spice things up by allowing a team of local high school boys to compete in it and win the whole thing, that would show them.

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Great White Hope posted:

After this, the last FIFA tournament Canada will not have hosted is the men's senior World Cup. They want to point at a successful tournament and use it as credibility for a 2026 bid.

On top of that, in just the past 8-9 years there's been a huge upswing in popularity and media attention towards not just soccer in general, but our local and national teams as well. Believe it or not, but after London 2012 the women's team are a bigger draw than our perennially poo poo men's team. They want to keep the spotlight and momentum going to keep interest growing in the domestic game and not just what you watch on TV Saturday morning.

Poonior Toilett fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Oct 7, 2014

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

Reprisal posted:

I know, seriously. What's up with that guy?

Primpod
Dec 25, 2007

jamming on crusty white
Fifa should combine the mens and womens game then freely let the women take performance enhancing drugs to level it out a bit.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Primpod posted:

Fifa should combine the mens and womens game then freely let the women take performance enhancing drugs to level it out a bit.

even the most rigorous of pep guardiola doping regimes wouldn't help women "even" it up

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

even the most rigorous of pep guardiola doping regimes wouldn't help women "even" it up

I think that at the height of the soviet doping program they solved that problem by altering the body chemistry so drastically the women essentially became men.

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Byolante posted:

I think that at the height of the soviet doping program they solved that problem by altering the body chemistry so drastically the women essentially became men.

Must have been tough with twitter and Steam still decades away

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Jermaine Dildoe posted:

Must have been tough with twitter and Steam still decades away

Lol

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Byolante posted:

This can't be right because Tumblr didn't exist until 2007.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

A writer watched the FIFA film and the main takeaway he got was that FIFA really, REALLY hates the English.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
I really hope this thing sees the light of day

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Here we see Blatter—at this point Havelange's No. 2—having lunch with a friend. He's worried, distracted; his friend wants to know what's wrong.

"Talk to me, Sepp."

"A while ago when it was time to pay our personnel, the accountant announced that there was nothing left in the coffers. Havelange wouldn't take my call."

"And?"

"And I signed a personal check for two hundred thousand Swiss francs."

"My God."

"But it was that or they weren't getting paid. I mean, can you imagine what the press would have done with a story like that? Worst of it is, I don't know where the money's gone. I mean I have my suspicions, but I can't be certain."

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
After being elected president of FIFA, Blatter calls together all the FIFA higher-ups to tell them what for. There have been some irregularities, after all—hints that not everyone is as honest and incorruptible as he is.

"Now, the next tournament will take place in both South Korea and Japan, far from Europe" he tells the assembled big-wigs. "Some of you may feel that this is a good opportunity to close lucrative deals with certain lobbies. Think again. No sport is spotless; there is just a lot more money involved in ours, which is why from now on we will be exemplary in all respects. The slightest breach of ethics will be severely punished."

The assembled bureaucrats, who for whatever reason just happen to have some attractive Adidas and Coca-Cola products laying around, say things like "Haw haw! Is that a threat, Mr. President?" and "President Havelange would have never dared to treat us with such utter contempt," to which the imperturbable Blatter has a reasonable comeback:

"Well, maybe he should have."

"President Havelange—"

"Is no longer president. I am. João Havelange presided over our family for 24 years. Did he make mistakes? Perhaps. It's not for me to judge. But I am warning you—all of you. We will play by my rules now. Gentlemen."

Truly, the hero football deserves.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
It's been said before and I'll say it again: Sepp Blatter is the world's greatest troll.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I thought Tim Roth was respectable.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

Wirth1000 posted:

yeah and now his bank balance is even more respectable

Mike Toole
Apr 9, 2001

WE ARE GOING BACK!!

TheBigAristotle posted:

I really hope this thing sees the light of day

I won't speculate on theatrical runs or DVD releases, but uh, it's out there, man. I'm kinda surprised nobody's posted it to Youtube, tbh.

After Roth's "we're going to be an ethical FIFA, dammit!" bit, he pulled this face:

Gonna watch the whole thing at some point this week

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

Wirth1000 posted:

Eau de MacGowan posted:

yeah and now his bank balance is even more respectable

and he has excellent tickets to every world cup final for the rest of his life.

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

Re women's world cup, surely they're not being discriminated because men = good and women = bad but the surfaces being replaced is in line with the tournament budget (which would be in line with what it brings in) being obviously lower for the lasses?

I see United Passions is on torrents sites, brilliant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Mike Toole posted:

I won't speculate on theatrical runs or DVD releases, but uh, it's out there, man. I'm kinda surprised nobody's posted it to Youtube, tbh.

After Roth's "we're going to be an ethical FIFA, dammit!" bit, he pulled this face:

Gonna watch the whole thing at some point this week

It wasn't as terrible as I thought it'd be honestly. If it were not produced and funded by FIFA, it'd just be another sub par football movie rather than a film doubling as propaganda and a hit piece against the English.