Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dead Reckoning posted:

Mach 3+ stores separation testing would have been something to see.

Knock yourself out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYKbPPRFE6o

I'm not sure if this is the same test mentioned here, but YF-12 did fire AIM-47 at mach 3.2.

"sr-71.org posted:

YF-12 Timeline:
24 December 1957: First J58 engine run.
30 July 1962: J58 completes pre-flight testing.
October 1962: Letter of intent for $1 million for YF-12 delivered to Lockheed.
7 August 1963: First flight of YF-12 (#06934) with Lockheed test pilot James Eastham.
29 February 1964: President Johnson announces existence of A-11 (actually the YF-12).
16 April 1964: First XAIM-47 ejected from YF-12 in flight.
18 March 1965: First firing of YAIM-47 from YF-12A.
1 May 1965: Two YF-12A (#06934 & #06936) set speed and altitude records.
28 September 1965: GAR-9 fired from YF-12A at Mach 3.2 at 75,000 feet.
5 January 1968: Skunk Works receives official notice closing down YF-12 operations.
5 February 1968: Lockheed ordered to destroy A-12, YF-12, and SR-71 tooling.
11 December 1969: NASA's first YF-12 (#06935) flight.
7 November 1979: Last YF-12A (#06935) flown to the Air Force Museum at Wright-Patterson AFB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Random weird question. Wasn't there a SEAD version of one of the Falcon missiles? Did any of those wacky people in SAC get the idea to put a nuke on one?

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

xthetenth posted:

Random weird question. Wasn't there a SEAD version of one of the Falcon missiles? Did any of those wacky people in SAC get the idea to put a nuke on one?

Yep.

Also, what is crazier than SR-71 interceptor variant? B-70 Valkyrie interceptor variant!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Wrap it up NATOailures, now it's official.

The Franklin Mint Russia's Central bank commemorative coins of the annexation of Crimea.

10 rubles = $0.25

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Gervasius posted:

Yep.

Also, what is crazier than SR-71 interceptor variant? B-70 Valkyrie interceptor variant!

500 I-70s? Are they expecting Russia to send 5,000 bombers?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

priznat posted:

Wrap it up NATOailures, now it's official.

The Franklin Mint Russia's Central bank commemorative coins of the annexation of Crimea.

10 rubles = $0.25

Think I'll wind up on a watch list if I order some?

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

wdarkk posted:

At the time, they considered it a distinct possibility.

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

Back Hack posted:

Or Helicopters for that matter; The Army is pretty committed to replacing the Blackhawk and Apache with a single muti-role helicopter at this point and several companies have already submitted potential designs. Some of them are pretty out there concept wise as far a helicopters go.

Isn't that an idea the Soviets tried 40 years ago and then immediately decided was terrible?

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

Whoops i guess I shouldn't leave tabs open for days(?) at a time.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Think I'll wind up on a watch list if I order some?

I kind of wanted some too. Think I can fund my NFA trust with commemorative Rubles?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

wdarkk posted:

"Shhhhh! If we order 500 of them we get the free steak knife set!"

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Outside Dawg posted:

At the time, they considered it a distinct possibility.

5000 was only off by a factor of about 2, which is really pretty close as early Cold War intel estimates go

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Does anyone know what the Soviets had planned for their manned bomber force in the pre-ICBM era? Were there really ever plans for swarms of Bulls and Bears and whatnot heading over the pole? Or was all of the USAF/RCAF work on Mach 4 interceptors and nuclear anti-air rockets and DEW Lines based on the erroneous assumption that the Red Air Force was going to try the Curtis LeMay thing because that's what we did?

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Does anyone know what the Soviets had planned for their manned bomber force in the pre-ICBM era? Were there really ever plans for swarms of Bulls and Bears and whatnot heading over the pole? Or was all of the USAF/RCAF work on Mach 4 interceptors and nuclear anti-air rockets and DEW Lines based on the erroneous assumption that the Red Air Force was going to try the Curtis LeMay thing because that's what we did?

Well, the Soviets couldn't refuel them midair in the 50's and they didn't base them on the Pacific coast so there really wasn't any other direction they were going to fly to bomb the continental US.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

simplefish posted:

I keep forgetting how gigantic and especially tall the Hind is

It's huge and awesome, unfortunately it's also a huge and sort of slow target. That they're actually using them in something of a gunship role shows how hard up they are. Iraqi officers are also promising encircled troops air support and supply drops that never show up and never existed. It's not good. The Iraqi army is going to have to be rebuilt.
More Iraqi helicopters.

Mi-171E du Iraq

Mi-8

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Didn't the Hind break some speed records?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Party Plane Jones posted:

Didn't the Hind break some speed records?
In 1975, sure. Straight-line speed doesn't really tell the whole story, though.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Warbadger posted:

Well, the Soviets couldn't refuel them midair in the 50's and they didn't base them on the Pacific coast so there really wasn't any other direction they were going to fly to bomb the continental US.

I meant it more generally, actually. Were the Soviets actually going to try an air offensive against North America prior to their development of ICBMs, or was this something we assumed they would do because it's what we would do?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

I meant it more generally, actually. Were the Soviets actually going to try an air offensive against North America prior to their development of ICBMs, or was this something we assumed they would do because it's what we would do?

There's a series of posts in the AI Plane thread about Soviet bombers by MrChips which would answer your question somewhat.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

They also built something on the order of 800 Tu-4's (that B29 knockoff) between 1945 and ~1955 or so. My understanding of that way early period in the Cold War is that they understood they weren't going to be able to hit the US, but that they could sure as gently caress blow the ever loving poo poo out of England and NATO bases in W. Europe. You have to remember that the whole concept of MAD doesn't really solidify as a real way of thinking about war until you get into scenarios where missiles are passing each other in flight. Up until the introduction of missiles you always have at least a theoretical chance of intercepting any incoming bombs, or at the very lest intercepting enough of them.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Xerxes17 posted:

And it's funnily non-jingoistic. We've talked about it before and a few other sister show like "Made in the USSR". They've got a very dry and understated format.

"This is Weapon system X."
"It was designed by Y at Z."
"It was good, but had problems 1 and 2."
"1 was fixed by A, and 2 later on with B."
"X is now very good."
:geno:

As opposed to ALienHitler9/11NavySEALS channel.

That's not true at all! Those Wings Of Russia films are hugely jingoistic. Everyone has a title such as HERO OF THE SOVIET UNION or some hilariously inflated government title. Even the talking head segments go into wonderful detail about the superiority of the Russian jet. Besides that, they're filled with really in-depth engineering and manufacturing talk. The Russians do not have a problem talking about killing dudes in flight testing.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

FYI Hero of the Soviet Union is an actual award that's been around since the 1930s.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Sperglord Actual posted:

FYI Hero of the Soviet Union is an actual award that's been around since the 1930s.

Yes and it's loving amazing. I love it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Unlike Medal of Honor, which is totally chill.

Edit: I was under the impression the post-WWII/pre-ICBM Soviets were more interested in Europe and Asia than going directly up against the US. A one-on-one fight was clearly only going to end one way.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Godholio posted:

Edit: I was under the impression the post-WWII/pre-ICBM Soviets were more interested in Europe and Asia than going directly up against the US. A one-on-one fight was clearly only going to end one way.

The Soviets in the post-WW2 period weren't any more interested in getting into a real shooting war than the US was, for basically the same reasons - WW2 loving sucked and they needed time to recover.

That said, there was never a time where they were going to be able to do anything outside of what the Red Army physically controlled at the end of WW2 without running up against the US. Truman made that crystal loving clear all through the late 40s and early 50s.

Moscow also wasn't particularly interested in Asia to be honest, Asia just kind of happened to be where all the serious post-war revolutions happened. China is the biggie, of course, but the long and the short of it is that colonialism predicated upon the cultural and racial superiority of a bunch of guys from another continent really takes it in the balls when the entire region gets conquered for ~5 years by a competing local imperial power. Even the areas where they did have a direct say in how things went down (e.g. Korea) it was the local guys straining at the leash to go blow poo poo up with Moscow trying to get them to calm the gently caress down because they didn't want the stress.

On a related note: if you ever want a dark laugh, read the Vietnamese declaration of independence.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Airpower collection called, "Lower Than A Snakes Belly In a Wagon Rut - And Other Stories Of Low Flying"
http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNews/Stories/tabid/116/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/325/Lower-than-a-Snakes-Belly-in-a-Wagon-R.aspx

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

B4Ctom1 posted:

Airpower collection called, "Lower Than A Snakes Belly In a Wagon Rut - And Other Stories Of Low Flying"
http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNews/Stories/tabid/116/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/325/Lower-than-a-Snakes-Belly-in-a-Wagon-R.aspx

Pfft, dude in the Loadstar dipped his wing on take off and caught the ground, newb. This is how it's done:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnBr3enzW1I

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Today I learned that the US Army operated a Hind that we took in the Gulf War. It's now (or was) used for OPFOR training. Huh.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Russian film prop?

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

holocaust bloopers posted:

Today I learned that the US Army operated a Hind that we took in the Gulf War. It's now (or was) used for OPFOR training. Huh.

We had one before the gulf war :ninja:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Isn't there one parked at Nellis?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Godholio posted:

Keep in mind that post-WWII we had a frenzy of trashing almost all of the wartime equipment and downsizing the fighting force tremendously, which had wonderful and necessary domestic effects, but meant that we were notably caught with our pants down by the tussle in Korea. Bomber Gap buildup doesn't come until the mid-late '50s.

The Soviets also went right up directly against us over Berlin pretty much from V-E on.

Picture semi-related:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Snowdens Secret posted:

Keep in mind that post-WWII we had a frenzy of trashing almost all of the wartime equipment and downsizing the fighting force tremendously, which had wonderful and necessary domestic effects, but meant that we were notably caught with our pants down by the tussle in Korea. Bomber Gap buildup doesn't come until the mid-late '50s.

The Soviets also went right up directly against us over Berlin pretty much from V-E on.

Picture semi-related:

Whoa, they actually built one of those? Thought it was just a paper project.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

StandardVC10 posted:

Whoa, they actually built one of those? Thought it was just a paper project.

Worth looking up more pictures, the wing chord is awesome. Every bit as thick as the straight B-36 wing.

I've put this one up before, but never get tired of it.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

What I love is that the endgame of WWII turned into "The enemy of my enemy is... well gently caress it, still my enemy."

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

simplefish posted:

What I love is that the endgame of WWII turned into "The enemy of my enemy is... well gently caress it, still my enemy."

"The enemy of my enemy is my friend, but not for a single goddamn minute after I beat the other enemy."

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Just thank your lucky stars Wallace got dumped for Truman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Igor Strelkov posted:

It's huge and awesome, unfortunately it's also a huge and sort of slow target. That they're actually using them in something of a gunship role shows how hard up they are. Iraqi officers are also promising encircled troops air support and supply drops that never show up and never existed. It's not good. The Iraqi army is going to have to be rebuilt.
More Iraqi helicopters.

The funny thing about that being just how many people think that the Hind is is a purebred gunship, without even knowing that it has a transport capability.

Also the Mi-28 reminded me (until I looked at them side by side) of the B-17G with that step up squarish cockpit and the chin turret thing