Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Noxville posted:

I love the original poster and in the future it'll no doubt be considered iconic

"Funny" "Funny" "Funny"
"Funny" "Funny" "Funny"
"Funny" "Funny" "Funny"
"Funny" "Funny" "Funny"
"Funny" "Funny" "Funny"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

westborn posted:

All of this pretty much boils down to "it's a bad promotional piece". But no matter what you think about Mondo, most of their stuff, like that one, is artwork made for existing fans of movies, not advertising media to promote those movies. They're not trying to sell the movie, they try to sell the poster itself.
I think criticisms like the fact that it's ugly, lazy and uninspired are strikes against it even if it only tries to sell itself. And let's say you're a fan and you want a poster - do you want something that actually reflects something from this film or will you settle for a big red thing? I mean, if you find that aesthetically pleasing you're wrong then that's fine, but even then you can't honestly think that poster is anything more than mediocre, right?

Do you know why I prefer the original poster (even though it's not that great)? Because it represents the essence from the film perfectly - it's a film about idiots who want to do a terrorism and the dumb ideas they have. Like attaching a bomb to a crow. What the film isn't about, however, is what I assume is a prayer mat and four heraldic lions - one with a fuse. Even for a piece of memorabilia, that doesn't really work.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Also, the film is funny, and the quotes are funny.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

"Funny" "Funny" "Funny"
"Funny" "Funny" "Funny"
"Funny" "Funny" "Funny"
"Funny" "Funny" "Funny"
"Funny" "Funny" "Funny"

Oh come on, that's hilarious.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Why does the latest Hobbit movie seem to be filled with a cast of smeared clay people?

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

mind the walrus posted:

Why does the latest Hobbit movie seem to be filled with a cast of smeared clay people?

This Christmas, see pores like you've never seen them before.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

mind the walrus posted:

Golems don't complain about reshoots or greenscreens.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Whiteycar posted:

This Christmas, see pores like you've never seen them before.

This is the reason 48fps 3D exists.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Vegetable posted:

The Angel of Death part feels really extraneous. Was it really not enough to know she is vengeful as hell and ominously wears black?

I'm guessing the Angel of Death thing is a reference to her being a ghost nurse or a ghost who kills nurses or...something.

quote:

In April 2012, Hammer Films announced that there would be a sequel to The Woman in Black, which is titled The Woman in Black: Angels of Death. The official plot synopsis is: "Seized by the government and converted into a military mental hospital during World War II, the sudden arrival of disturbed soldiers to Eel Marsh House has awoken its darkest inhabitant. Eve, a beautiful young nurse, is sent to the house to care for the patients but soon realises she must save them from more than their own demons. Despite Eve’s efforts to stop her, one by one they fall victim to the Woman in Black."[30]

The original novel's author Susan Hill will help with the story, with the screenplay written by Jon Croker.[27][31][32] In October 2012, Tom Harper was announced as the film's director.[33] In April 2013 it was announced that Jeremy Irvine will play the lead role with rumors of Daniel Radcliffe briefly reprising his role from the first film.[34] It has also been announced that Phoebe Fox and Helen McCrory have been cast in the film as well. The film will begin the shooting process in early 2014.[35]

quote:

As bombs rain down on London during the Blitz of World War II, a group of school children are evacuated with Eve, their young and beautiful schoolteacher, to the safety of the English countryside. Taken to an old and empty estate, cut-off by a causeway from the mainland, they are left at Eel Marsh House.

One by one the children begin acting strangely and Eve, with the help of local military commander Harry, discovers that the group has awoken a dark force even more terrifying and evil than the city’s air raids. Eve must now confront her own demons to save the children and survive the woman in black.[2]

What the woman in black's motivations are for being spooky as hell this time I can't imagine as the original movie wrapped itself up fairly well I think.

e: not that horror movies need reasons for sequels. i watched both Dr. Phibes movies this weekend and holy :aslol: the second one

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"
Blaxploitation Posters GO!

(Suggested viewing theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8sSfaBhIk0)

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

:nsacloud:

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

Blaxploitation Posters, pt 2: Politically Incorrect.

(Suggested viewing theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCDAfa-NI-M)

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Check the screenplay credit.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

morestuff posted:

Check the screenplay credit.

My first reaction was, "It has to be a different Alex Haley," but nope!

quote:

In 1973, Haley wrote his only screenplay, Super Fly T.N.T.. The film starred and was directed by Ron O'Neal.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Distorted Kiwi posted:

Blaxploitation Posters GO!

Co-starring the essence of blackness, Skip E. Lowe...

EDIT: Oh, poo poo, he died last month.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

Dick Trauma posted:

Co-starring the essence of blackness, Skip E. Lowe...

EDIT: Oh, poo poo, he died last month.

That's a shame, he made that flick.

And by "made", I mean "made it unforgettable, due to the instantaneous swerve into horrific grindhouse" Gay Stereotype vs. Sadistic Bad Guys scene. I screened this flick at my traditional birthday movie marathon, and my friends are still talking about it a year later.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

What is the Count Dracula Society and how do I join?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Random Stranger posted:

What is the Count Dracula Society and how do I join?

Just £19 per year.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Motherfuckin' Julius J. Carry the Third. Sho'Nuff in THE LAST DRAGON. Even Roger Ebert was like "Holy poo poo, this guy."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mWWHRABsWU

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Oct 14, 2014

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

Julis don't worry me none, I have the power of the GLOW! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpSse2JXmHQ

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

That's the Dracula Society, not the Count Dracula Society. Apparently the one from the Blacula poster was a real thing that was just a bunch of horror fans in the 60's and 70's.

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick

They got the fuckin name wrong

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
When making a movie poster it's important to not put to much effort into it, especially if you might have to make more than one version.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

R. Mute posted:

Do you know why I prefer the original poster (even though it's not that great)? Because it represents the essence from the film perfectly - it's a film about idiots who want to do a terrorism and the dumb ideas they have. Like attaching a bomb to a crow. What the film isn't about, however, is what I assume is a prayer mat and four heraldic lions - one with a fuse. Even for a piece of memorabilia, that doesn't really work.

The Mondo poster is referencing the England badge:

Making it a combo of an Islamic prayer mat and the England football team, thus making almost exactly the same joke as the film's title.

It's a good poster. If I didn't know better I'd assume it was part of the official promo campaign.

edit: oops this has been pointed out already.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Something worse than the usual bad Photoshopping is happening to the face of the woman on the right.
Yikes.

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Why "fix" what isn't broken? Not hot on the 3D or cold steel look.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

It's dead simple but so were the other three's posters so I guess it works.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Lizard Combatant posted:

Why "fix" what isn't broken? Not hot on the 3D or cold steel look.

It's actually weird they went with something so similar to Jurassic Park III's metal poster instead of a weathered down post-apocalypse version of the logo like the premise supposedly is.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

mind the walrus posted:

It's actually weird they went with something so similar to Jurassic Park III's metal poster instead of a weathered down post-apocalypse version of the logo like the premise supposedly is.

Isn't the film just the first movie but the park is actually open and full of people instead of just guests?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I honestly could have sworn up and down it was about someone repurposing the ruins of the original park into a new park, but like a safari-style thing. I have no idea.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.
The director confirmed the basic premise in an interview back in May.

quote:

So the rumors are true?

Yes. Jurassic World takes place in a fully functional park on Isla Nublar. It sees more than 20,000 visitors every day. You arrive by ferry from Costa Rica. It has elements of a biological preserve, a safari, a zoo, and a theme park. There is a luxury resort with hotels, restaurants, nightlife and a golf course. And there are dinosaurs. Real ones. You can get closer to them than you ever imagined possible. It’s the realization of John Hammond’s dream, and I think you’ll want to go there.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Weird. I guess I've got egg on my face.

And now I'm going to totally be a jerk and say that they should have gone in the other direction and the made the logo like an even more souped up version of 1's corporate logo poster. :c00lbert:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

mind the walrus posted:

Weird. I guess I've got egg on my face.

And now I'm going to totally be a jerk and say that they should have gone in the other direction and the made the logo like an even more souped up version of 1's corporate logo poster. :c00lbert:

It should be a Web 2.0 version of the original.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Doctor Bishop posted:

The director confirmed the basic premise in an interview back in May.

Oh cool, so glad someone in Hollywood got my letter asking for a 1:1 Westworld remake.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

zenintrude posted:

Oh cool, so glad someone in Hollywood got my letter asking for a 1:1 Westworld remake.

HBO are doing that.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Everything's turning up zenintrude

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Somebody ordered more pores?

This is the last one. Don't expect any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

zenintrude posted:

Does that mean there will be a Futureworld remake too? :v: