Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

:sicknasty:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

courier was a piece of poo poo and killing it was the right call

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Blackula69 posted:

here's jay cutler with a message for bill

dunno who that is but he is certainly a pussy. look at the eyes of the person you flipping off human being

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.

Pinterest Mom posted:

yep, didn't even have an internet connection

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

nothing in this video makes any sense
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlpftPSuXe4

flicking things from one side to the other gives unpredictable results (flicking a contact to a map shows you that contact's address, but flicking it to a journal gives him permission instead of inputing data about the contact?), all input is handwriting and undiscoverable gestures, dragging borders around chunks of pages seems to do different things from app to app), i have no idea why i'd want a device whose main use is apparently Digital Scrapbook, and this was an idealised interface mockup, not actual software. they couldn't keep it together for a 3 minute video.

at best this is an app, not a dedicated hardware device

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Oct 15, 2014

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
iPhone 1 and iPad one were also pieces of poo poo but guess what, Apple iterated the gently caress out of them and the subsequent iterations pretty thoroughly ruined everybody else's poo poo

kind of like how the Surface is a goddamn joke compared to the iPad and its app store.

I still think it's funny how Steve Jobs didn't get the iPhone though. Dude legit thought web applications were where it was at and kinda had to backpedal a lil when the app store became a thing and actually entrenched iOS as more than just a passing thing.

Vendor lock in at 1/100th of that scale gives marketing needledicks wet dreams and the dude actually did it reluctantly. "ugh, fine i'll make all of mobile computing beholden to me and my company for the next thousand years"

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

surface is a flawed product that makes sense but has implementation and software issues
courier makes no sense, and never made sense

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

iphone and ipad had immediately grokkable interfaces and metaphors and were obviously useful from day one. courier feels like a proof of concept for an idea on how to solve the cut-paste issue on a tablet. (it turns out you make cut-paste the only thing the tablet is capable of doing)

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Pinterest Mom posted:

courier wsn't a piece of poo poo

it wasn't really anything

it was a video

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

courier is a good typeface

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Cocoa Crispies posted:

courier wsn't a piece of poo poo

it wasn't really anything

it was a video
a hardware kickstarter for a free-energy generator is more real than the courier ever was

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

the only reason

the only reason

someone could make a post like this lamenting the death of courier

Mr Dog posted:

yeah remember that time BillG personally deep-sixed the MS Courier because it didn't run Windows?

good times :xd: when i grow up i want to be a captain of industry like billiam ~*~brand synergy~*~ gates

is that they're an anti-apple zealot so desperate for a viable ipad competitor that they will themselves into thinking that the courier video showed a real viable product

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

FMguru posted:

msft has been producing and promoting tablets since 1991. here is billy gates with a message for you from 2002:

by "big tablet push" i mean going all-in on tablets, such as coming up with a real tablet ui and then replacing windows with it because tablets are the future maaaaan

ms has been producing tablets for a while, but they mostly seemed like a low-priority low-effort money pit - keyboardless touchscreen laptops with x86 processors running slightly-hobbled versions of standard desktop windows. then ballmer decided to bet the future of windows on tablets, so now it's a high-priority money pit

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

dunno who that is but he is certainly a pussy. look at the eyes of the person you flipping off human being

scrawny nerd spotted

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Captain Foo posted:

courier is a good typeface

it's not, and that microsoft defaulted visual studio to it was just more evidence that they have no taste or sensibilities

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Cocoa Crispies posted:

it's not, and that microsoft defaulted visual studio to it was just more evidence that they have no taste or sensibilities

Isn't this why consolas exists now

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Mr Dog posted:

iPhone 1 and iPad one were also pieces of poo poo but guess what, Apple iterated the gently caress out of them and the subsequent iterations pretty thoroughly ruined everybody else's poo poo

kind of like how the Surface is a goddamn joke compared to the iPad and its app store.

I still think it's funny how Steve Jobs didn't get the iPhone though. Dude legit thought web applications were where it was at and kinda had to backpedal a lil when the app store became a thing and actually entrenched iOS as more than just a passing thing.

Vendor lock in at 1/100th of that scale gives marketing needledicks wet dreams and the dude actually did it reluctantly. "ugh, fine i'll make all of mobile computing beholden to me and my company for the next thousand years"

jobs never thought web apps were going to be a thing, he just wanted to get people using html5 video so he didn't have to deal with flash

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Cocoa Crispies posted:

visual studio uses consolas which is great. it probably used courier new in previous versions (so did eclipse) which is superior to courier

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Mr Dog posted:

steve jobs also wanted Mac OS X on Sony Vaio, even after the release of the all-in-one iMac.

it definitely damages the narrative that most of us enjoy, that steve jobs envisioned the iWatch and iPad back in 1984, and played every card exactly right every step of the way.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Captain Foo posted:

Isn't this why consolas exists now

yeah but what kind of failure is still on windows post-vista

Shaggar posted:

visual studio uses consolas which is great. it probably used courier new in previous versions (so did eclipse) which is superior to courier

oh hi

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

FMguru posted:

msft has been producing and promoting tablets since 1991. here is billy gates with a message for you from 2002:

yeah this is the funniest part. over a decade of "tablet pc" branding and nobody even knew it existed.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Pinterest Mom posted:

immediately grokkable
go out

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

yeah this is the funniest part. over a decade of "tablet pc" branding and nobody even knew it existed.
msft had it all wrong. they saw tablets as a high end fancy thing to replace executive laptops and notebooks. so they sold in tiny amounts and had very little software or hardware support apart from a few first-party apps like onenote. they kept launching and relaunching tablets and saying they were the future of computing and then holding up a $3200 dell latitude xt as their example.

apple figured out they were consumer devices and priced and designed them to match

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

also finger UI

Lots of research into telling devs how to make good apps, and then doing submission process to make sure nobody hosed it up.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Pinterest Mom posted:

nothing in this video makes any sense
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlpftPSuXe4

flicking things from one side to the other gives unpredictable results (flicking a contact to a map shows you that contact's address, but flicking it to a journal gives him permission instead of inputing data about the contact?), all input is handwriting and undiscoverable gestures, dragging borders around chunks of pages seems to do different things from app to app), i have no idea why i'd want a device whose main use is apparently Digital Scrapbook, and this was an idealised interface mockup, not actual software. they couldn't keep it together for a 3 minute video.

I like the contrast between copying an entire image with a tap and flick (called: drag), with copying a partial image (called: cut & paste) requiring a tap, menu navigation, lasso selection, and then drag-and-drop instead of a flick.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Mr Dog posted:

people still use ipads 1 just fine. they were a beautiful thing and the first usable tablet.

and thing is, jobs wanted to limit and control the apps that were on the devices because he knew what a clusterfuck the app marketplace was on the pc and learned from it. it wasn't just "iwant control and vendor lockin" it was more like "i want to control the experience because its really easy to make a big smeary poo poo mess of apps on a device if you let arbitrarily terrible and dangerous ones in." example: google play store

webapps were a simple solution before apple mustered up the resources to filter and approve apps themselves. the demand for native apps grew and web apps suck and apple acknoweldged this and learned from it.

thats the difference between apple and companpanies like MS: they learn from past fuckups instead of continually loving the chicken, so to speak.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

my favourite was a month or two before the ipad came out and apple trademarked the word "iSlate" and all of a sudden every Windows Tablet PC was now being promoted as a "Slate PC"

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Last Chance posted:

people still use ipads 1 just fine. they were a beautiful thing and the first usable tablet.

and thing is, jobs wanted to limit and control the apps that were on the devices because he knew what a clusterfuck the app marketplace was on the pc and learned from it. it wasn't just "iwant control and vendor lockin" it was more like "i want to control the experience because its really easy to make a big smeary poo poo mess of apps on a device if you let arbitrarily terrible and dangerous ones in." example: google play store

webapps were a simple solution before apple mustered up the resources to filter and approve apps themselves. the demand for native apps grew and web apps suck and apple acknoweldged this and learned from it.

thats the difference between apple and companpanies like MS: they learn from past fuckups instead of continually loving the chicken, so to speak.

ipads 1? ipad 1s? ip1ads? 1pads?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

THC posted:

my favourite was a month or two before the ipad came out and apple trademarked the word "iSlate" and all of a sudden every Windows Tablet PC was now being promoted as a "Slate PC"

cisco used to own the trademark on "iphone" because of some acquisition or other -- i wonder what they were able to get out of apple in return

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

cremnob posted:

Microsoft's attempt to make its Surface Pro 3 tablets an integral part of the NFL suffered another hiccup this week when Chicago Bears quarterback Jay Cutler was asked about using the devices.

According to Jon Greenberg of ESPN.com, while discussing the Bears win over the Atlanta Falcons, Cutler referred to the Surface tablets as "knockoff iPads" despite the immense amount of Surface branding seen on NFL sidelines.

DOOOOOOOOOOOOONT CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARE

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

prefect posted:

cisco used to own the trademark on "iphone" because of some acquisition or other -- i wonder what they were able to get out of apple in return
a month before the apple iphone was announced, cisco rushed out a desktop communication...thing called an iphone in an effort to strengthen their hand and give them more leverage when they negotiated with apple over the name. it looks exactly like a product that was designed in a single setting and rushed into production for the sole purpose of making a name claim.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Last Chance posted:

its one of the great open questions from the jobs 2.0 era at apple - was stebes enthusiasm for webapps genuine or was he just bullshitting to cover for the fact that the iphone api was an unstable mess that was far from ready for public use?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

ipaaaahhhd

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

is pad?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

FMguru posted:

its one of the great open questions from the jobs 2.0 era at apple - was stebes enthusiasm for webapps genuine or was he just bullshitting to cover for the fact that the iphone api was an unstable mess that was far from ready for public use?

the api could have been a mess, but it doesnt matter. they had no infrastructure for approving apps even if the api was great.

they knew the platform was going to be a huge hit and approving each app seemed unrealistic at the time.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Last Chance posted:

microsoft is capable of learning, the problem is that they come into these markets way too late (pre-ipad tablets aren't even comparable to the modern tablet, they're more like "computers without screens"), so apple has already gone through a couple of generations of hardware and iterated all their initial fuckups out.

then ms comes in with some buggy piece of crap first-gen product and it looks terrible next to apples polished product, so the sales numbers look so terrible that instead of steadily improving on their own product, management panics and runs around like chickens with their heads cut off trying to come up with some killer app or must-have feature or brilliant marketing blitz that they think could win the market immediately. see also: winphone's current big marketing focus on trying to beat siri

the 4th-gen ipad came out a month after ms released the 1st-gen surface. they had no realistic hope of challenging that, but if they focused on improving it and meeting customer needs in successive generations rather than packing in dumb gimmicks and running ludicrously expensive marketing campaigns, maybe they wouldn't be a complete laughingstock

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
^^^ exactly

hey is there a new xbone sharktank thread anywhere? that was always good for some laffs.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

^^^ exactly

hey is there a new xbone sharktank thread anywhere? that was always good for some laffs.

p sure it's dead, a bit of its spirit lives on in the main xbone thread but it's not the same

dumb losers started buying banner ads and poo poo for it :mad:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol remember when there were people who thought web apps were going to be a thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

FMguru posted:

msft had it all wrong. they saw tablets as a high end fancy thing to replace executive laptops and notebooks. so they sold in tiny amounts and had very little software or hardware support apart from a few first-party apps like onenote. they kept launching and relaunching tablets and saying they were the future of computing and then holding up a $3200 dell latitude xt as their example.

apple figured out they were consumer devices and priced and designed them to match

their problems all stemmed from forcing it to be a full windows machine and that meant mouse centric ui, intel chips with fans, etc. and tech wasn't ready for solid state drives so you also had spinning drives. it was too heavy and too hot to hold comfortably and the wacom pen tablet worked p well for handwriting input but they couldn't be assed to make a pen-friendly windows ui so everything else was tapping tiny hitboxes and making no use of things you could do easily with pens like gestures.

oh and handwriting recognition required native windows input widgets so cross-platform programs like firefox didn't work with it at all and you had to tap poo poo out on an osk

• Locked thread