Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
In the realm of whatever happened to that lovely kickstarter, did that sad rear end in a top hat ever find adam sandler?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Noyemi K posted:

Nonono, it was some silly fantasy RPG. Well, a bunch of art for a silly fantasy RPG.

The person behind it is a serial scammer and they have basically been run off the internet. They also turned out to be a huge loving racist.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

pathetic little tramp posted:

In the realm of whatever happened to that lovely kickstarter, did that sad rear end in a top hat ever find adam sandler?

Yeah. In his pitch video

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

Nintendo Kid posted:

The person behind it is a serial scammer and they have basically been run off the internet. They also turned out to be a huge loving racist.

Yeah I just trawled like eighty pages of blogs and there's a fuckload of evidence. They didn't even have a design doc when they started asking for cash, click fraud, etc.

RIP, backers.

Elissia
Dec 28, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

Oh hey, Riley. Riley is also an abusive ratfucker in general too.

dijon du jour posted:

My god, Kickstarter is rapidly becoming Etsy.

Brb, starting my Steampunk Antique Octopus Pendant kickstarter.

You joke, but I've been considering doing a project on KS or IGG that involves turning a couple dozen of these at a massive markup.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Noyemi K posted:

Yeah I just trawled like eighty pages of blogs and there's a fuckload of evidence. They didn't even have a design doc when they started asking for cash, click fraud, etc.

RIP, backers.

Wait, I thought tumblr.exe came out as tumblr.jpg series of yaoi comics. Am I thinking of a different game?

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:
Anonabox cancelled by kickstarter!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/augustgermar/anonabox-a-tor-hardware-router/comments

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

"Suspended" is different than "Cancelled," isn't it? Or am I misremembering?

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

bvoid posted:

Could be, but they returned pledges.

quote:

Hello,

This is a message from Kickstarter’s Trust & Safety team. We’re writing to notify you that the anonabox : a Tor hardware router (Suspended) project has been suspended, and your $66.00 USD pledge has been canceled. A review of the project uncovered evidence that it broke Kickstarter's rules. We may suspend projects when they demonstrate one or more of the following:

Offering purchased items and claiming to have made them yourself; Presenting someone else’s work as your own; Misrepresenting or failing to disclose relevant facts about the project or its creator.

Accordingly, all funding has been stopped and backers will not be charged for their pledges. No further action is required on your part.

We take the integrity of the Kickstarter system very seriously. We only suspend projects when we find strong evidence that they are misrepresenting themselves or otherwise violating the letter or spirit of Kickstarter's rules. As a policy, we do not offer comment on project suspensions beyond what is stated in this message.

Regards, Kickstarter Trust & Safety

(Not mine. I didn't fund that crap)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

quote:

We’re writing to notify you that the anonabox : a Tor hardware router (Suspended) project has been suspended

No poo poo? :downs:

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Every time someone says anonabox I read it as Anachronox and keep hoping that a sequel is being Kickstarted :smith:

I wonder how much of a fuckup your project has to be to be suspended/cancelled by Kickstarter, though. It's not like they assume any responsibility, do they?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

GrandpaPants posted:

Every time someone says anonabox I read it as Anachronox and keep hoping that a sequel is being Kickstarted :smith:

I wonder how much of a fuckup your project has to be to be suspended/cancelled by Kickstarter, though. It's not like they assume any responsibility, do they?

Kickstarter constantly claims they aren't responsible but that's only going to last until they end up in a courtroom because their funding platform made some scam or harmful thing possible. They can claim they aren't responsible but I don't think they want to end up in a court room to find out if the law agrees with them or not.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

bvoid posted:

Suspended is when Kickstarter does it, Cancelled is when the people behind the project does it.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Evil Fluffy posted:

Kickstarter constantly claims they aren't responsible but that's only going to last until they end up in a courtroom because their funding platform made some scam or harmful thing possible. They can claim they aren't responsible but I don't think they want to end up in a court room to find out if the law agrees with them or not.

I think you could prove they have a responsibility just based on the fact they have the ability, as demonstrated here, to suspend and cancel kickstarters.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm no lawyer, but if it isn't illegal to let someone scam people out of thousands of dollars when you have the power and knowledge to stop it, it should be.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Paladinus posted:

Wait, I thought tumblr.exe came out as tumblr.jpg series of yaoi comics. Am I thinking of a different game?

It did! Here's a panel.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
e: It was also a series of Tumblr mini-fics:

("Crackerhell" is Riley)

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

bvoid posted:

"Suspended" is what the administration does, "Canceled" is what the project creator does.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Pick posted:

It did! Here's a panel.

I checked the arkh project tumblr, and it's nothing but signal boosts for other people's projects for over a year. Not a single update about the actual game in 12 months

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Pick posted:

It did! Here's a panel.

Why is one of them also a cyclops? I thought you don't need that type of symbolism when literally every character in your piece of fiction is already a minority.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Paladinus posted:

Why is one of them also a cyclops? I thought you don't need that type of symbolism when literally every character in your piece of fiction is already a minority.

That's a side view, she just has anime side mouth.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

This is basically hipster catnip

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

NTRabbit posted:

This is basically hipster catnip

Why would anyone want this film?! Everything you could do with this film you can do with digital recordings cheaper and better. Why would people kickstarter this?!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Shadoer posted:

Why would anyone want this film?! Everything you could do with this film you can do with digital recordings cheaper and better. Why would people kickstarter this?!

Probably for the same reason people backed a 2005 vintage Ipod resembling FLAC audio player, a newly designed 200 year old safety razor, and an untunable radio in a mason jar.

They're loving morons.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Shadoer posted:

I guess if you have your own darkroom I can see there being some satisfaction in film photography as a hobby, there's fun to be had doing processes by hand even though machines can do them better and faster, it's why knitting is such a huge thing.

I'm sure the majority of people won't be doing that though, if you're sending film away to be developed it's kinda pointless.

DoomLazer
Jun 1, 2011
I haven't read the last four pages of this thread so sorry if it's been mentioned, but this is literally the worst kickstarter I've ever seen: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/142464853/hendo-hoverboards-worlds-first-real-hoverboard

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

DoomLazer posted:

I haven't read the last four pages of this thread so sorry if it's been mentioned, but this is literally the worst kickstarter I've ever seen: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/142464853/hendo-hoverboards-worlds-first-real-hoverboard

"Thanks for believing"

It's literally what the guys at OUYA said too.

Unlike many scammy kickstarters, they do have something to show though, so they aren't selling you only dream this time. You will probably get what you paid for, electro-magnets, a battery and some kind of control chip.

DoomLazer
Jun 1, 2011

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

"Thanks for believing"

It's literally what the guys at OUYA said too.

Unlike many scammy kickstarters, they do have something to show though, so they aren't selling you only dream this time. You will probably get what you paid for, electro-magnets, a battery and some kind of control chip.

How much does it cost to install an all metal state park?

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Shadoer posted:

The same reason that people continue to buy vinyl records, typewriters, and arcade boards. Nostalgia, a belief in the talismanic power of older and "truer" tools, and minute unquantifiable benefits like "richness" and "warmth" that conveniently don't stand up to double-blind testing.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The same reason that people continue to buy vinyl records, typewriters, and arcade boards.
Because they enjoy them?

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

DoomLazer posted:

How much does it cost to install an all metal state park?

Probably less than solar powered roads.

To be fair, if you watch the video, read the description, and still believe you will get a working hoverboard, then you are the only one to blame for wasting money on this.

I think the idea is still interesting for those who want to build some kind of RC hovering scale model/robot.

SpaceGoatFarts has a new favorite as of 12:58 on Oct 22, 2014

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Shadoer posted:

Because decent quality film is actually considerably better in almost every way except processing compared to digital cameras. If you have a decent scanner and you know a lab that won't bend your negatives, you can get a way better picture compared to basically any digital camera that isn't some Pentax digital MF or whatever.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Elliotw2 posted:

Because decent quality film is actually considerably better in almost every way except processing compared to digital cameras. If you have a decent scanner and you know a lab that won't bend your negatives, you can get a way better picture compared to basically any digital camera that isn't some Pentax digital MF or whatever.

Wait really?! I know that's true with cheap crappy digital cameras, but I thought once you got into High Definition quality you were laughing?

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
People are nostalgic for the way that film looks worse.

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

Xelkelvos posted:

Ear cleaning is a pretty intimate Asian thing to do fwiw. It's at the level of cleaning and clipping nails. They also have a different type of earwax which makes it marginally less gross.
Wait, wait, wait. So Sararimen are literally going to Maid Cafes to get oomax? That is the best thing I ever heard.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Shadoer posted:

Wait really?! I know that's true with cheap crappy digital cameras, but I thought once you got into High Definition quality you were laughing?

A medium format film camera has a way higher "resolution" with less noise (grain for film cameras) than all but the most crazy expensive digital cameras.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Film doesn't truly have resolution in the way that digital video does; this is why old films can continue to be remastered into higher definition releases. It's a matter of chemistry, and I don't fully understand the limitations and science of it myself; but as I understand it, standard consumer media releases have not hit the upper limit of fidelity that film is capable of, but if you shoot something digitally, that's it, that's the highest quality it will ever be.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Unbelievably Fat Man posted:

Wait, wait, wait. So Sararimen are literally going to Maid Cafes to get oomax? That is the best thing I ever heard.

*chuckles Feringishly*

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Elliotw2 posted:

This is actually completely false. It sounds like you last checked up on capabilities some time around 2001.

This goes especially so for this particular kickstarter, their primary proposed products are super 8mm movie film and 16mm movie film and cartridge 35 mm consumer grade still film. All of those have definitely better equivalents available in digital. And their proposed 120 medium format film is basically on par with high end digital now - especially since to properly use good quality 120 film you need some quite high end optics just like large sensor digital.

DStecks posted:

Film doesn't truly have resolution in the way that digital video does; this is why old films can continue to be remastered into higher definition releases. It's a matter of chemistry, and I don't fully understand the limitations and science of it myself; but as I understand it, standard consumer media releases have not hit the upper limit of fidelity that film is capable of, but if you shoot something digitally, that's it, that's the highest quality it will ever be.

But old films can also only be remastered so far. And many of them actually can't be remastered much beyond DVD quality, because like all things what you'll pay is what you'll get - your typical movie theater schedule filler from the days when hollywood would release thousands of feature length films a year often just look bad all around.

And nearly all shot-on-film movies out there can't be remastered to better quality than current all digital high end equipment can get you - especially since they often have lower quality effects in the final master, where a really high end remaster to meet current standards could involve years of replacing rendering and the like.

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

A medium format film camera has a way higher "resolution" with less noise (grain for film cameras) than all but the most crazy expensive digital cameras.

These days the very expensive digital cameras are well beyond, and the pricepoint where you get the equivalent large sensors is steadily dropping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
loving hipsters lol