Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

spudsbuckley posted:

An interesting fact about The Stanley Parable is that it is utter loving garbage for smug cunts who think they are soooooooo clever.

Rude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

revdrkevind posted:

It was at that time that spudsbuckley chose to hit the post button. Unfortunately for him, this would turn out to be a bad decision. Other people on the forums would read his post, and they would laugh. They laughed, and they laughed, and they ridiculed the heritage of spudsbuckley as well as the size of his genitals, which were quite small you see. Luckily for spudsbuckley, life would present him with another opportunity. Let's have a go in 3, 2...

No, no, no. This simply won't do, this is an even worse post than before Mr. spudsbuckley! We simply can't have that sort of thing happening here at THE SOMETHINGAWFUL FORUMS LLC. Here, I'll give you one more chance, let's take it from the top shall we?

Oh that's much better spudsbuckley! What witty commentary! What sharp criticism! You will forever be hailed as the greatest videogame reviewer in the thread, spudsbuckley. All because you had this chance, given to you by The Stanley Parable, to have another shot at your comment. Aren't you ever so glad we gave you this opportunity to change your mind regarding The Stanley Parable?

No?

Well, then. Some people just can't be helped.

Hey, look. For once, they sent a poet.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I tried the stanley parable demo and I didn't like it. It seemed a little 'up its own rear end' if you will.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.
Anyone want to comment on how Heavy Bullets is? I see it's for sale on the Humble Store but I'm not sure if I want to pull the trigger.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

redreader posted:

I tried the stanley parable demo and I didn't like it. It seemed a little 'up its own rear end' if you will.

It is, but for the most part they play that off as part of the joke.

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009

Drifter posted:

You gotta add-a a-little bit-a of a-tomato sauce-a.

Don't you mean Béchamel sauce?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

saucerman posted:

Carbonara, surely.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Kanfy posted:

From Winter Wolves I see, the maker of all these well-known classics.

The developer is apparently a 40-year-old Italian guy?

Wikipedia posted:

Celso Riva (born c. 1974) is an Italian independent video game designer of several critically acclaimed games

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

CJacobs posted:

It is, but for the most part they play that off as part of the joke.
Yeah, Stanley Parable is legit clever and actually makes fun of the real pretentious "art" games. (That video was linked several posts back is the best example)

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

redreader posted:

Don't starve is one of the best games I've played in the last couple of years. The only game I've played more is Civ V. It's probably best to start with the original game and then when you've played it for a bit (i.e. maybe 10-15 games, at least 5 of which you've survived a winter in?) add the dlc. The DLC makes it harder but also adds some pretty cool things that ... uhm. make it easier in some ways. The thing is, there's so much to do and craft that I'd play it without the RoG dlc first.

Can you not disable the DLC after you buy it?

I've not got around to playing it yet but at 50% off i might as well snag the DLC.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Kin posted:

Can you not disable the DLC after you buy it?

I've not got around to playing it yet but at 50% off i might as well snag the DLC.
Steam lets you pick and choose what DLC to install or not now.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Accordion Man posted:

Steam lets you pick and choose what DLC to install or not now.
Does it work when I disable the DLC in properties after I install the whole bunch, or do I have to disable then reinstall?

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.
Having just bought it, the game lets you select whether or not the DLC is on whenever you start a new game. No need for any install trickery.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

saucerman posted:

Besciamella :smuggo:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Yo is GetGamesGo legit? They're selling Far Cry 4 + AC Unity together for 90 bucks, and I have to say it's pretty tempting for both.

http://www.getgamesgo.com/product/far-cry-4-assassins-creed-unity-bundle

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Yes, GetGamesGo is run by Eurogamer.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Yes, GetGamesGo is run by Eurogamer.

Sweet.

Unfortunately I can't purchase from there with a Canadian Card. Goddammit.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

Any goons playing Payday 1 right now are playing it out of curiosity because they never got a chance to play it when it was timely. Payday 2 is a substantially different game from Payday 1 and many would argue which one is subjectively better, but 2 is much more polished, deep, and most important actually has a lasting population (it's worth mentioning that both games are very much in the vein of Left4Dead and you fundamentally lose out if you intend to play them in single player).

Come check out the thread if you do decide to buy it.

We shall see if it runs on my pc tonights.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
So, not being one to spend money on games unless the gameplay is actually fun and exhilarating, I'm ashamed to say I've been laughing for about 5 minutes straight at EIGHT.

Will I really enjoy The Stanley Parable (full game)? I'm starting to doubt myself.

Edit: This is a screenshot of a game labeled "Famous Demoes" in the demo. What is it?

Morter fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Oct 18, 2014

Orv
May 4, 2011

Morter posted:

So, not being one to spend money on games unless the gameplay is actually fun and exhilarating, I'm ashamed to say I've been laughing for about 5 minutes straight at EIGHT.

Will I really enjoy The Stanley Parable (full game)? I'm starting to doubt myself.

Most of it maintains that quality.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Morter posted:

Edit: This is a screenshot of a game labeled "Famous Demoes" in the demo. What is it?

Half-Life: Uplink. Half-Life's demo. Rather than just cutting a chunk out of the game and using that, Valve made a short campaign just for the demo.

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009

Morter posted:

That is Half-Life 1. Please return your gamer card :smug:

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

saucerman posted:

That is Half-Life 1. Please return your gamer card :smug:

Isn't that the retro remake of Black Mesa?

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

a massive toolclown who cannot stop causing problems
For the TikiOne Steam Cleaner, has anybody had an issue where the "Search" button just doesn't do anything at all? Everything looks fine, and it has the right directory, but it just refuses to look for files.

Edit: never mind, the problem was it kept defaulting to /Steam instead of /steamapps, and setting that manually fixed the problem.

Occultatio fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Oct 18, 2014

Mootallica
Jun 28, 2005

Amazon used to be good for buying games for dirty foreigners because of its rather lax credit card checks. I'm attempting to buy Enemy Within ($10 compared to $16 (Steam) or $49 (GMG)) but for the first time it seems like it actually cares because my order has been rejected twice because both credit cards are not from the US. For those that have run into this before, is it enough to buy a gift card attach that to your account and then buy the game that way?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Mootallica posted:

Amazon used to be good for buying games for dirty foreigners because of its rather lax credit card checks. I'm attempting to buy Enemy Within ($10 compared to $16 (Steam) or $49 (GMG)) but for the first time it seems like it actually cares because my order has been rejected twice because both credit cards are not from the US. For those that have run into this before, is it enough to buy a gift card attach that to your account and then buy the game that way?

I think amazon added a simple postal code validation at some point last year, because mine didn't work but after changing it, it did.

Are you Canadian? From what I read for Canadians it just means removing the letters and leading off with anything ie a1b 2c3 becomes 99123.

If you're not, no clue, but google is your friend here.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

I should have read this thread before purchasing The Evil Within.

$60 down the drain

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Yaws posted:

$60 down the drain

:stonk: Oh man, I feel terrible for you.

And it also makes me feel like a wuss for fretting over indecision on The Stanley Parable. :negative:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Morter posted:

:stonk: Oh man, I feel terrible for you.

And it also makes me feel like a wuss for fretting over indecision on The Stanley Parable. :negative:
The best thing about the Stanley Parable is that without checking a faq, you may never know how many endings it really has.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Samurai Sanders posted:

The best thing about the Stanley Parable is that without checking a faq, you may never know how many endings it really has.

If I was the devs, I'd have a bunch of endings sitting on a drive somewhere and just every so often patch some in and out to mess with players.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Yaws posted:

$60 down the drain
Yeah, sorry you bought a fun, tense horror game?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Niggurath posted:

Yeah, sorry you bought a fun, tense horror game?

Well it is tense, but not because of the atmosphere.

Mootallica
Jun 28, 2005

Jordan7hm posted:

I think amazon added a simple postal code validation at some point last year, because mine didn't work but after changing it, it did.

Are you Canadian? From what I read for Canadians it just means removing the letters and leading off with anything ie a1b 2c3 becomes 99123.

If you're not, no clue, but google is your friend here.

Australia - but the post code thing doesn't seem to work either. I try to modify the post code and it "helpfully" corrects it.
Also adding a gift card to the account and attempting to puchase that way doesn't work either - because they STILL try to validate the CC. That's $10 down the pisser.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

redreader posted:

Don't play Braid.

Side note: Legend of Grimrock II is Awesome. Figured I'd get some enjoyment this month and as much game play out of Grimrock II and Beyond Earth for my birthday month before they cut my eye open. :sigh:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Question: Are there still big spiders in Grimrock 2?

Actually, better question: Is there a lot of reused content in it or is it basically totally standalone?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Yaws posted:

$60 down the drain

And here I am absolutely loving it. It's pure Mikami. Resident Evil 4 remade for 2014, pretty much, but that's cool with me. It's much tighter than RE4 - the enemies are always threatening, and ammo/health is always very scarce. It's an action horror game but never falls into the Dead Space pitfall of making the player an unstoppable god of destruction.

It helps that the setting is basically Silent Hill + Hellraiser 2. Lets them mess with the player a lot more.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Mootallica posted:

Australia - but the post code thing doesn't seem to work either. I try to modify the post code and it "helpfully" corrects it.
Also adding a gift card to the account and attempting to puchase that way doesn't work either - because they STILL try to validate the CC. That's $10 down the pisser.

I hope that's not the case, because I've just been changing my billing address to 123 fake st, california, 90210 whenever i want to buy anything off amazon

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Did Black Mesa source become 100% finished yet?

Mootallica
Jun 28, 2005

tithin posted:

I hope that's not the case, because I've just been changing my billing address to 123 fake st, california, 90210 whenever i want to buy anything off amazon

Admittitedly I haven't puchased anything from them since 2013 - but it used to work flawlessly with a fake address and the same CC I'm using now. I did read somewhere though that anything involving 2K is a lot more stringent with its checks - so I guess it just caries of my belief of "gently caress 2K you worthless cunts".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Anonymous Robot posted:

Did Black Mesa source become 100% finished yet?

I have no idea. Xen is the worst part of Half-Life so Black Mesa is pretty much 'Half-Life: The Best Bits'

• Locked thread