Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Is that a slaughterbrute head? Where did you get that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

What the hell does the 'extra armor' vehicle upgrade do? the codex just says the rules are in the rulebook, but they just aren't in there with the other special rules. I also can't find them in the vehicle section. what gives?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Ignite Memories posted:

What the hell does the 'extra armor' vehicle upgrade do? the codex just says the rules are in the rulebook, but they just aren't in there with the other special rules. I also can't find them in the vehicle section. what gives?

Counts "Crew Stunned" as "Crew Shaken." It's in the "Vehicle Upgrades" section at the end of the vehicles section.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Ah, so it's drat near worthless for ground vehicles then. Thank you kindly!

I have another question, though: [bear wtih me, i've got my first 7th edition game today]

If I use a psyker HQ, do I need to decide which squad my psyker rolls with before or after I generate his psychic powers?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

It's not really worthless? Crew Stunned vehicles can't move or pivot for a turn if they're not Zooming Flyers.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Ignite Memories posted:

I have another question, though: [bear wtih me, i've got my first 7th edition game today]

If I use a psyker HQ, do I need to decide which squad my psyker rolls with before or after I generate his psychic powers?

You generate psychic powers prior to deployment. Your psyker gets their powers and then you choose where they go.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Ignite Memories posted:

Yeah, extra armor is pretty garbage. It's nice when it's built in but otherwise it's a total pass.

And you roll for powers before deployment.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Potential BFF posted:

Doesn't look like it, but can you fit a standard terminator head on the terminator Praetor?

not really

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

PantsOptional posted:

It's not really worthless? Crew Stunned vehicles can't move or pivot for a turn if they're not Zooming Flyers.
For 15 points you bet your rear end it's worthless. I MIGHT put it on something huge and expensive, but paying half the price for most transports just to ignore a result that happens occasionally on the vehicle damage table (especially now that vehicles can get glanced to death) seems pretty worthless to me. If it's still 5 points on a battlewagon that might be worth it.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

SRM posted:

For 15 points you bet your rear end it's worthless. I MIGHT put it on something huge and expensive, but paying half the price for most transports just to ignore a result that happens occasionally on the vehicle damage table (especially now that vehicles can get glanced to death) seems pretty worthless to me. If it's still 5 points on a battlewagon that might be worth it.

Oh definitely. I think I'd agree with Naramyth - it's nice to have if it's baked in (or if it's cheap like you say) but 15 points is way too much.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Extra armor is like Fear, it's one of those things that GW consistently overvalues for no discernible reason.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

panascope posted:

Extra armor is like Fear, it's one of those things that GW consistently overvalues for no discernible reason.

At least Fear is a constant that can pay off occasionally against <Ld10 armies. Extra Armor requires not only that your vehicle suffer a penetrating hit but also that you specifically roll one of seven possible outcomes.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Imagine if fear acted like it did in Fantasy...

So many overruns for my WK's.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

The Sisko posted:

Love that red , how did you achieve it? Seeing this definitely makes me want to dive into 30k.

The red is black primer, then Vallejo Air Ferrari Red, then Minitaire Ghost Tint Red Blood over that. I will need to use a matte coat finish because the minitaire adds a slight gloss.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I was running the numbers on the new quad mortar rules and they are dumb.

For about 60 points its like a roided out wavern meets thunder fire cannon. Infantry? Cool, I have x4 S6 AP5 barrage blasts. Oh no a tank. Time to use x4 S8 AP4 armorbane shots. Bring 2 and you’re basically glancing a tank to death every turn or laying the hurt on an infantry squad.

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost

BULBASAUR posted:

I was running the numbers on the new quad mortar rules and they are dumb.

For about 60 points its like a roided out wavern meets thunder fire cannon. Infantry? Cool, I have x4 S6 AP5 barrage blasts. Oh no a tank. Time to use x4 S8 AP4 armorbane shots. Bring 2 and you’re basically glancing a tank to death every turn or laying the hurt on an infantry squad.

Sorry, dumb question: Are you talking about these books?
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/The_Horus_Heresy/Horus_Heresy_Books/THE_HORUS_HERESY_LEGION_ASTARTES_GAMERS_COLLECTION.html

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Yep! 'The Little Red Books'

I honestly believe its a misprint, but there's no clarification so the way its written you now have two ammo types.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Ghost Hand posted:

Trying to get my whole army prepped for Nottingham on Nov 5th.

I hope you're ready for a hellish skyline of fire and and the distant pop of explosions. Also the 5th is Bonfire Night so there's that as well.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I hope you're ready for a hellish skyline of fire and and the distant pop of explosions. Also the 5th is Bonfire Night so there's that as well.

Yeah I'm looking forward to it actually!

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

Potential BFF posted:

Doesn't look like it, but can you fit a standard terminator head on the terminator Praetor?

WhiskeyJuvenile already demonstrated that they don't really fit, but Grey Knight Terminator helmets fit just fine with a bit of work as you can see on this one I made a month ago or so:

Soulfucker posted:

Painted up a Praetor counts-as Chapter Master as a birthday gift for my brother:

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Crud. My Centurion box came with 2 bases instead of 3 for some unknown reason. Time to see if GW customer service is as good as I have heard it is :v:

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Soulfucker posted:

Praetor Conversion

Much appreciated! I really do not like helmetless Space Marines, especially when it's just the boring old "bald and covered in scars" thing. The beardy Sternguard and the FW Typhon are cool because they're different, but I'd still rather they just have an extra fancy hat. In Typhon's case FW was kind enough to give him a helmeted head swap, Khârn too.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

gently caress yes. I love using Heresy era stuff for special units in 40K. I was thinking about doing something very similar to this to run with some assault termis. What shield did you use there, just the standard terminator storm shield?

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

DJ Dizzy posted:

Crud. My Centurion box came with 2 bases instead of 3 for some unknown reason. Time to see if GW customer service is as good as I have heard it is :v:

yeah, they're great. I wrote them when I found that my tactical objective cards were missing cards 11-16... they sent out replacements immediately...

then I found the missing cards inside the couch. :ninja:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
you sneaky bastard!

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
So after some feedback from Abusepuppy (thanks) and thinking about it a bit, I am taking the following list to the tournament tomorrow:

Imperial Guard:
Tank Commander Pask– Leman Russ Punisher – 210
Leman Russ Exterminator – 130

Company Command Squad – Master of Ordnance – 80

Commissar – 25
Ministorum Priest – 25

Tempestus Scions – 2 melta guns – 90

Platoon Command Squad – missile launcher – 45
Infantry Squad – plasma gun, autocannon – 75

Platoon Command Squad – 4 flamers – 50
Infantry Squad – melta gun, power axe – 75

3 Scout Sentinels – autocannons – 120

Leman Russ Executioner – 155

Manticore – 170

Aegis Defence Line – quad gun – 100

Total: 1650

If I remember the draft I posted correctly, I essentially combined 3 small Pl into 2 medium sized, took out a Scions squad and bunged a Manticore in as well, after cheapening the leman russes a bit. Oh, and I took out the chimera for the command squad - I think I will be better off hiding the tiny squad behind terrain than having them in a fragile vehicle. I wouldn't say it's a super great list, it's a bit of everything and I am reduced to taking sentinels and suicidal scions as my only units that can really get straight to the other side of the table. But I'm happy enough with it. In the friendly games I've played Pask is a pretty versatile beast with that set-up, I have some infantry to hang on doggedly in cover, and some other pretty deadly vehicles.

Just painting the Scions and some command bods tonight. Spent time earlier in the week doing my first commissar and priest, really happy with how the metal models turned out - very characterful sculpts, I love the 40k craziness a priest brings to my otherwise quite subdued IG force. Gonna make a real effort to inject some more colour into these other character types.

Tournament report to follow on Sunday.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
Just finished my first Deffkopta. One down, four to go.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
It looks great. Digging the highlights and metallic look. Good clean highlights too :)

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

SRM posted:

Extra Armor is generally only 10pts these days, so it's not quite as bad. Still not worth it for most vehicles, but you can make a decent argument for the heavier tanks like Land Raiders, Stormravens, etc, taking it.

Looking pretty good there. The only super-minor thing I would change: swap the Executioner into Pask's unit and have the Exterminator run solo. You really, really want the reroll on Gets Hot! to prevent your tank from setting itself ablaze (which is far too easy to have happen otherwise.) I would feel bad without sponsons on them, but that's more a personal thing because I love the hell out of sponsons; you can probably do fine without them.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Thinking of building some of the elements from this display table. Can anyone ID the two outlined elements, the one in white and the one in red? I haven't seen those on any of the items on the GW site but they look prefab.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I think they might both be from the fortress of redemption or whatever it's called. The silly DA thing.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Maybe from the huge (and ridiculously expensive) base system forgeworld did for the Anphelion Project book. Can't remember the name, I don't think they make it anymore.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Sorry, missed this bit:

AbusePuppy posted:

Looking pretty good there. The only super-minor thing I would change: swap the Executioner into Pask's unit and have the Exterminator run solo. You really, really want the reroll on Gets Hot! to prevent your tank from setting itself ablaze (which is far too easy to have happen otherwise.) I would feel bad without sponsons on them, but that's more a personal thing because I love the hell out of sponsons; you can probably do fine without them.

Cheers - I agree about the re-rolls and will try it out that way. Actually sponsons are an idea I really want to try out, but I haven't bloody made any! I starting building my tank conversions before the current codex. I have all the hull/turrets magnetised, even dozer blades, but haven't even assembled any sponsons. It's on my very long hobby to-do list. I think plasma sponsons are a drat good choice for an executioner as long as there's some chance of re-rolls, and on the non-blast tanks multi-meltas and heavy bolters both have things to be said for them.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

TheChirurgeon posted:

Thinking of building some of the elements from this display table. Can anyone ID the two outlined elements, the one in white and the one in red? I haven't seen those on any of the items on the GW site but they look prefab.

The red section's "gates" are definitely from one of the Imperial Sector kits, although I'm not sure which one offhand (since I built them all together.) The white part is using the corners from the Fortress of Redemption and it looks like the wall bits from some of the Imperial Sector stuff.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
Nearly done on an ork half track trukk conversion.

I love ork vehicles but I can't stand having my trukks looking too similar.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Genghis Cohen posted:

Maybe from the huge (and ridiculously expensive) base system forgeworld did for the Anphelion Project book. Can't remember the name, I don't think they make it anymore.

Ah, yeah this is it. Aw, hell. Ok, thanks for the help!

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

TheChirurgeon posted:

The white part looks like a landing pad from forgeworld, I don't think they make it anymore

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
So, thanks to my inability to read, I now have 3 Predator Executioners that I did not realize were squadroned. What do you even do with that much shooting? Just park them somewhere and erase a blob a turn? Go super-heavy/regular armor hunting?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Who are better Close Combat marines, Black Templars or Space Wolves? Or regular Marines?

I'm thinking up some allies for my guard now that I've convinced myself I want to resume painting them, and I like the look of melee Space Marines. Mostly looking for amount of options, but effectiveness is a plus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Babe Magnet posted:

Who are better Close Combat marines, Black Templars or Space Wolves? Or regular Marines?

I'm thinking up some allies for my guard now that I've convinced myself I want to resume painting them, and I like the look of melee Space Marines. Mostly looking for amount of options, but effectiveness is a plus.

With Black Templars you have the option of buying a power weapon/fist rather than a heavy weapon, which is cool for "hiding" a power fist in a crusader squad (troops choice). If you choose to upgrade a dude to the Sword Brother, their version of a sergeant, he rerolls hits and has rending in challenges. They also get an extra D3 for sweeping advances. Also, land raider crusaders as dedicated transports.

For real though, if I was starting a new space marine force from scratch, and wanting them to be melee oriented, Space Sharks all the way.

Reynold fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Oct 18, 2014

• Locked thread