Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Cubey posted:

However things like the Xbone not being able to do poo poo as simple as delta patching will never go away and forever be a hindrance to every game that ever receives a patch. Waiting for an hour or more to download a day one patch is a pretty big quality of life difference between the PS4 and Xbone.

You wait a lot longer than an hour to patch poo poo on Sony systems due to their wifi, though.

e: I get fine performance on my PS4's wifi since I'm one room away from the router, but people are always complaining about it in the PS4 thread, it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Soul Glo posted:

If he did he's been missing Halo 5 for a while :colbert:

If someone for real asked me which one to buy, I'd tell them to base their decision on whichever one their friends have, then on whether they want Halo/Gears or Uncharted/TLOU 2

This is the way to do it. Playing with friends online is the best.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Soul Glo posted:

You wait a lot longer than an hour to patch poo poo on Sony systems due to their wifi, though.

lol what kind of idiot uses wifi for online gaming, cable is always faster without exception

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Spacebump posted:

Playing with friends online is the best.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Cubey posted:

However things like the Xbone not being able to do poo poo as simple as delta patching will never go away and forever be a hindrance to every game that ever receives a patch. Waiting for an hour or more to download a day one patch is a pretty big quality of life difference between the PS4 and Xbone.

So this is seriously a central architectural issue that will never be possible to fix?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Soul Glo posted:

If he did he's been missing Halo 5 for a while :colbert:

If someone for real asked me which one to buy, I'd tell them to base their decision on whichever one their friends have, then on whether they want Halo/Gears or Uncharted/TLOU 2 (still bummed they're sticking with Ellie, I want new characters in that universe :argh:) and finally on if they're the type to get butthurt over five FPS or 100~ p's at which point a normal person would probably stare at me like I was autistic.

Both consoles are going to play 95% the same games for the rest of the generation with an ever-diminishing quality gap as devs get used to the Xbone's dumbass ESRAM which you can already see going back a year to the resolutions of games then versus now: there were 720p launch games on the 'Bone, and now they're regularly 900 and soon it'll be 1080 on both, probably. The vast, vast majority of people pay precisely zero attention to the tech stuff like we do anyway, though.

Good advice

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

AugmentedVision posted:

So this is seriously a central architectural issue that will never be possible to fix?

Do you iron your jeans on a wok?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

AugmentedVision posted:

That such a stumbling block has yet to be addressed at all yet seems to indicate that no, it can't be fixed. It's probably something to do with their original DRM plans.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Halo 5's not on that list because it's at least a year away from release and could well end up delayed.

Soul Glo posted:

e: I get fine performance on my PS4's wifi since I'm one room away from the router, but people are always complaining about it in the PS4 thread, it seems.

I think Wi-Fi in general is just kind of poo poo when you start having to handle multi-gig transfers and heavy-duty streaming like with PSNow, and depending on your location there might not be much you can really do about it, no matter whose company name is on your console.

Soul Glo posted:

Both consoles are going to play 95% the same games for the rest of the generation with an ever-diminishing quality gap as devs get used to the Xbone's dumbass ESRAM which you can already see going back a year to the resolutions of games then versus now: there were 720p launch games on the 'Bone, and now they're regularly 900 and soon it'll be 1080 on both, probably. The vast, vast majority of people pay precisely zero attention to the tech stuff like we do anyway, though.

This could cut both ways, it really depends on how much the devs care about the Bone. For example, for PES 2015 they saw the Japanese launch sales numbers, went :effort: and it's probably going to be 720p vs. the PS4's 1080p (it uses the MGS5 engine which is also those resolutions for Ground Zeroes).

The ESRAM thing creates problems that require the game to be specifically designed to recognize it and isn't the kind of thing you can just one-button convert.

univbee fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 19, 2014

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Why don't people buy range extenders or the things that plug into your mains (I have both, they work great)?
Do people just sit around moaning about wifi speeds instead of spending a little cash to solve it? Is that what happens?

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
How badly is Sunset Overdrive predicted to flop? It looks like it might be fun, but I don't see anyone really talking about it less than two weeks before release. Most threads I see talking about it on other forums can't even hold 4 or 5 pages of discussion.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

ghostwritingduck posted:

How badly is Sunset Overdrive predicted to flop? It looks like it might be fun, but I don't see anyone really talking about it less than two weeks before release. Most threads I see talking about it on other forums can't even hold 4 or 5 pages of discussion.

It's a new IP with a game the looks pretty shallow so I think it may struggle.
The PR campaign has really divided opinion as well, I see it really as this gens Bubsy 3D.

However that's just gut feeling, I thought forza Horizons would sell really well and I was wrong there.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

ghostwritingduck posted:

Well more people were talking about Forza Horizon 2 two weeks before it dropped and that game didn't even make the top 10 sales chart, so take from that what you will.

psyman
Nov 1, 2008
Why would you want a The One, it's such a sloppy device and hearing about this delta patching stuff just further cements that perception. I mean I used to be a big "Microsoft gamer", I really liked the OG Xbox and 360 back in the day and had all the MS hardware like a Sidewinder FF joystick, racing wheel, Steel Battalion, wireless gamepad adapter, headsets and the like, bought most MS Studios games, XBL sub, etc. I also played all the Halo games but haven't enjoyed them since ODST which was the best one IMO.

I really cannot understand who the Xbone appeals to; it certainly doesn't appeal to me at all and I couldn't be more firmly in the target demographic. To me, the Xbox died in 2010 when J Allard left and we're still waiting for the Xbox 3. You can pin point almost everything going downhill right from that year.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

ghostwritingduck posted:

It has slightly more hype than Project Spark, a game you may be surprised to learn has actually been released already.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

univbee posted:

No, I just pulled that from listwar.com

Didn't know this existed til now, incredible resource when I have like two minutes to kill before getting on the train.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Soul Glo posted:

Both consoles are going to play 95% the same games for the rest of the generation with an ever-diminishing quality gap as devs get used to the Xbone's dumbass ESRAM

Yeah except at the same time devs are also getting used to the PS4's architecture

Pretending that one is going to stay stagnant while the other excels is really disingenuous.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

peter gabriel posted:

Why don't people buy range extenders or the things that plug into your mains (I have both, they work great)?
Do people just sit around moaning about wifi speeds instead of spending a little cash to solve it? Is that what happens?

Every machine that never moves gets an ethernet cable shoved up it. Wifi is for mobile devices.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Haquer posted:

Yeah except at the same time devs are also getting used to the PS4's architecture

Pretending that one is going to stay stagnant while the other excels is really disingenuous.

Maybe, but the PS4 probably doesn't have the same room for improvement because it's so much easier to use. There won't be any moments where some developer falls rear end backwards into a way to improve resolution with no loss to frame-rate by using they phlobonum chip to spoof the maguffin processor like the might be for the Bone.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Cubey posted:

That such a stumbling block has yet to be addressed at all yet seems to indicate that no, it can't be fixed. It's probably something to do with their original DRM plans.

I doubt that it's something that is impossible to fix, given enough time. The system they have right now works and "Xbone has no delta patching" is not really a quotable quote that holds any meaning to any non-nerds.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Wheany posted:

"Xbone has no delta patching" is not really a quotable quote that holds any meaning to any non-nerds.

In those exact terms, no. 'Xbone has 20 gigabyte day 1 patches', however, does mean something to non-nerds.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Spacebump posted:

This is the way to do it. Playing with friends online is the best.

Playing online against totally random international bros on Mario Kart 8 is way better. Those japaneses always get me at the last corner

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Cubey posted:

In those exact terms, no. 'Xbone has 20 gigabyte day 1 patches', however, does mean something to non-nerds.

"Remember that Wii U day one update that everyone was angry about? Well, this patch is 20 times bigger, and has a chance of happening every time a new game comes out."

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Wheany posted:

Every machine that never moves gets an ethernet cable shoved up it. Wifi is for mobile devices.

Another great solution, it would surprise me if people really took the third option of shedding a silent tear and hitting the internet to complain about lovely wi fi, that's all :)

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Haquer posted:

Why am I being disingenuous when I'm talking about performance? The PS4 is already regularly hitting 1080/60 while the Bone isn't.

RangerAce
Feb 25, 2014

Cubey posted:

Most problems in programming are a matter of "Yes, we can do it, but what other features/bugfixes are lower priority while we work on that?" I wouldn't be surprised if there was some intern at MS that came in and said, "Hey we could do delta patching." Then he probably would've got transferred to Word.

Nadella got rid of stack ranking, but they're in the middle of a huge culture shift, and they're aren't going to get rid of culturally ingrained politics overnight.

The one thing I will say about The One is that they are patching circles around Sony's dashboard. I've been waiting for DLNA for almost a year, now. Any day, right, @yosp? :smithicide:

The short of it is, if they wanted to, I think MS COULD fix it, even it meant a more intense OS rewrite. Maybe for the ninth Windows called Windows 10?

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Soul Glo posted:

Why am I being disingenuous when I'm talking about performance? The PS4 is already regularly hitting 1080/60 while the Bone isn't.

You said the "quality" gap will close

so yeahhhhhhh, no.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Microsoft could fix the delta patching issue, it's just laziness.
If there is one thing I learned from playing WoW and reading their forums it's that if you want things fixing quickly all you have to do is take people from the web dev and community relations departments and put them right on the job.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The thing with the whole Delta Patching snafu is that it wouldn't have been acceptable with the original DRM plans either. It should be fixable, because for gently caress's sake we were doing this on 386's.

Soul Glo posted:

Resolution and framerate aren't the only two variables by a long shot. As PS4 optimizations continue the resolution will stay the same (1080p60) but things like effects and environment complexity will improve, and the Xbox One will continue to fall short, especially if some of these extra effects and complexities depend on having large amounts of memory running at DDR5 speeds. Or they might start super-sampling, which a few PS4 games already do.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

univbee posted:

Resolution and framerate aren't the only two variables by a long shot. As PS4 optimizations continue the resolution will stay the same (1080p60) but things like effects and environment complexity will improve, and the Xbox One will continue to fall short, especially if some of these extra effects and complexities depend on having large amounts of memory running at DDR5 speeds. Or they might start super-sampling, which a few PS4 games already do.

Human eye can't see any of this btw

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

peter gabriel posted:

Human eye can't see any of this btw

No joke, why do these ps4 and pc morons think pong is still the #1 home video game of all time

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUFe5LpffHs

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Bobtista posted:

No joke, why do these ps4 and pc morons think pong is still the #1 home video game of all time

No, it's the first home video game of all time, as in chronologically.

The Xbone should just copy what the Odyssey did and release high-quality overlays you stick to your TV screen.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Seriously waiting on Mega64 to make a sketch about Halo's patch. I mean, it's like tradition now.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Is watching a patch update scroll by enough of a videogame that Twitch won't ban you?

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

peter gabriel posted:

Do you iron your jeans on a wok?

Ironing jeans? Are you 58 years old?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Haquer posted:

You said the "quality" gap will close

so yeahhhhhhh, no.

Sorry, Dr. Pedantic, I should have clarified. My apologies. :rolleyes:

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

RangerAce posted:

Then he probably would've got transferred to Word.

Which is fine and much better job security

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Soul Glo posted:

Sorry, Dr. Pedantic, I should have clarified. My apologies. :rolleyes:

You should've said "resolution and/or framerate". Quality is an all-encompassing word, you jackass

:jerkbag: :jerkbag: :jerkbag: :jerkbag: :jerkbag: :jerkbag: :jerkbag: :jerkbag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Haquer posted:

You should've said "resolution and/or framerate". Quality is an all-encompassing word, you jackass

:jerkbag: :jerkbag: :jerkbag: :jerkbag: :jerkbag: :jerkbag: :jerkbag: :jerkbag:

What's funny is that in the post you quoted but apparently didn't read, the sentence before AND after I used
"quality" specifically mention resolution (and the one before includes FPS!), but please feel free to continue being a weirdo!

e: I see you edited out where I was talking about resolution when you quoted my post. :lol:

• Locked thread