Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
No one outside of video game forums cares whether a game is exclusive or not.

Hope this clears up your confusion around why the Wii U sells like poo poo while the PS4 is very popular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i agree, exclusives are important v much so

the xbone having only 24 exclusives to ps4s 80 is p bad, imo

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky
Shut the gently caress up Stux. PS4 has no games, Crafty the bone oracle told us so. Did you make that graphic using Office365 you traitor?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

SBJ posted:

Shut the gently caress up Stux. PS4 has no games, Crafty the bone oracle told us so. Did you make that graphic using Office365 you traitor?

openoffice motherfucker

Organs
Feb 13, 2014

hanyolo posted:

You guys should probably try shilling the Wii U in the PS4 thread. They're the ones more likely to be desperate for a decent game to play. It's funny checking in on the thread every so often and seeing people getting excited over playing Towerfall, Spelunky, Binding of Issac, TLoU, etc.

ya the ps4 game situation sucks poo poo but to be fair the big xbox one release is a bunch of old halo games so it's not much better imo. i wish both consoles were just backwards compatible instead, since the chances of games like burnout paradise getting rereleased are zero :/

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

I'm amazed people still regurgitate that XBL is/was a better service than PSN as if it's an objective fact despite that literally the only difference under the hood was that you paid $50 a year for XBL. It was always just a P2P setup that Microsoft arbitrarily put behind a paywall.

Now Sony has theirs behind the same paywall and decided it should have actual value by giving subscribers a fuckton of free poo poo and people still say XBL is a better service despite nothing else changing. People that buy new bleeding age cellphones every year don't even go through those kind of veblen good mental gymnastics.

Zoph fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Oct 20, 2014

CheeseFactory
May 12, 2009

MAYBE A DINGO ATE YOUR K/D

Stux posted:

i agree, exclusives are important v much so

the xbone having only 24 exclusives to ps4s 80 is p bad, imo

Stop spreading FUD.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
Focusing on games is redundant, what about been able to watch TV while Microsoft tracks your viewing to sell to advertisers?

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp
I don't know what I'll do if I couldn't come home say Xbox on and have my tv turned on and shitloaded up by the time I sit down. Ii thought it'd be dumb but it legit owns

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

CheeseFactory posted:

Stop spreading FUD.

Pay no attention to the exclusives behind the curtain.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Stux, I'm trying to click on the more details but it won't do anything. Are you lying to me?!

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Crabtree posted:

Stux, I'm trying to click on the more details but it won't do anything. Are you lying to me?!

Once you look at the more details it's a lot less impressive, they're all games you could have played on ps3, plus Akibas trip:undead and undressed.

Here's some more numbers for you. Giant bomb review - 4 out of 10.

1 in, 1 out.

Promised PS plus versions released : zero

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

I don't know what I'll do if I couldn't come home say Xbox on and have my tv turned on and shitloaded up by the time I sit down. Ii thought it'd be dumb but it legit owns

Probably do what the PS3 and ps4 do, use hdmi-cec to handle all of that by pressing a button on the controller.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Crafty posted:

Once you look at the more details it's a lot less impressive, they're all games you could have played on ps3, plus Akibas trip:undead and undressed.

Here's some more numbers for you. Giant bomb review - 4 out of 10.

1 in, 1 out.

Promised PS plus versions released : zero

meanwhile, in relevant numbers land

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Stux posted:

Source: insiderp ? :laugh:

That's a lot of disappointed people that can't play multiplayer. Very unfortunate.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Even when selling the game on the 360 as well they can't even hit half the numbers of a game that launched with server breaking bugs, poor xbox :smith:

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Stux posted:

That's a shame if accurate. Forza Horizon 2 is a fun game. Meanwhile Driveclub is a marquee title that was delayed for a year and still does not function properly and is not available in its promised free form 13 days after launch.

That should be a literal million of disappointed, pissed off customers who would probably do better to not throw away $60 on any future Evolution Studios game should Sony not dissolve it themselves.

Like, I was excited to play Driveclub a year ago. That game's release is ridiculous.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Soul Glo posted:

That's a shame if accurate. Forza Horizon 2 is a fun game. Meanwhile Driveclub is a marquee title that was delayed for a year and still does not function properly and is not available in its promised free form 13 days after launch.

That should be a literal million of disappointed, pissed off customers who would probably do better to not throw away $60 on any future Evolution Studios game should Sony not dissolve it themselves.

Like, I was excited to play Driveclub a year ago. That game's release is ridiculous.

Insiderp is right up there with vgchartzzz for their accuracy of their 'sales figures'. Luckily we don't have to rely on them for reviews of both games, which tell a slightly different story that stux likes to ignore :(

If driveclub did sell well it would offer some explanation for the the most recent crippling of psn though.

psyman
Nov 1, 2008

hanyolo posted:

How has Microsoft shat into our mouth since release? We've had a constant flow of excellent games and OS improvements.

The OS improvements are mostly just adding back stuff that the 360 had since launch in 2005, yet were absent from The One despite 8 friggin' years of dev time. I mean god drat some of the "new" party chat stuff was on the Xbox One in 2004 wasn't it? :psyduck:. I keep seeing people list Microsoft's continued updates as a strike against the PS4 and it's just baffling.

It's especially :rolleyes: when news article comment sections have the Ned Flanders-types saying "Great job Microsoft, keep up the updates and good work!". Ah yes, the good work of adding back some of the functions from a 10 year old console, to a new console which cannot even do incremental game patches in tyool 2014.

Does anyone who owns a The One even own a 360, let alone an Xbox One?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

gently caress me, I just realized Sunset Overdrive is out next week, Call of Spacey is out in 2, and Halo Collection: 65% of data crammed onto one disc is out in 3. This is the time for Xbox, and its success or failure pretty much entirely hinges on how it does between now and I guess Black Friday.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

univbee posted:

gently caress me, I just realized Sunset Overdrive is out next week, Call of Spacey is out in 2, and Halo Collection: 65% of data crammed onto one disc is out in 3. This is the time for Xbox, and its success or failure pretty much entirely hinges on how it does between now and I guess Black Friday.

Did the xbox 360s success depend entirely on its first year, or are you exaggerating for dramatic effect?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

It sucks that MS has had to add so much stuff in; it's obvious they had to rush release to meet the PS4, but the PS4 isn't some great illustration of a complete console at launch either.

2.0 is apparently coming out soon at which point the PS4 will finally get advanced features such as a YouTube app, customizable theme colors and MP3 playback. How long did the PS3 have those?

I'm no console warrior, I have and play both, but boy howdy is it lovely on both sides for lots of stuff.

Still fun games on each at least :unsmith:

chaymie
Apr 5, 2008

Crafty posted:

Did the xbox 360s success depend entirely on its first year, or are you exaggerating for dramatic effect?

it actually did depend entirely on its first year.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Crafty posted:

Holy gently caress yes did it ever, especially since they were effectively running unopposed.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Crafty posted:

Insiderp is right up there with vgchartzzz for their accuracy of their 'sales figures'. Luckily we don't have to rely on them for reviews of both games, which tell a slightly different story that stux likes to ignore :(

If driveclub did sell well it would offer some explanation for the the most recent crippling of psn though.

"Reviews don't count unless I agree with them" is a lovely gimmick imho

psyman
Nov 1, 2008

Zophar posted:

I'm amazed people still regurgitate that XBL is/was a better service than PSN as if it's an objective fact despite that literally the only difference under the hood was that you paid $50 a year for XBL. It was always just a P2P setup that Microsoft arbitrarily put behind a paywall.

Now Sony has theirs behind the same paywall and decided it should have actual value by giving subscribers a fuckton of free poo poo and people still say XBL is a better service despite nothing else changing. People that buy new bleeding age cellphones every year don't even go through those kind of veblen good mental gymnastics.

Now that's not true, the only difference was not literally just a sub fee. XBL was way superior to PSN back in the early days, especially when the 360 launched with the overlay Guide menu. The invite to game, matchmaking, party system, universal chat and friends list was all very robust and intuitive.

Even the "recent players" list made it so easy to rejoin a match if you dropped out by finding the last random person you were playing with then just clicking on them to join back in.

AFAIK PSN hardly had any of that until recently. Isn't it still lagging behind?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

univbee posted:

Holy gently caress yes did it ever, especially since they were effectively running unopposed.

A strong first year of success in the wake of "599.99 US DOLLARS, GET A SECOND JOB IF YOU CAN'T AFFORD IT" did allow the 360 to coast for the rest of the last generation. If the bone can't start showing some strength with one of these games taking off like when Bungie worked on Halo, when will it?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Suspicions confirmed.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-10-20-two-discs-wasnt-practical-for-halo-master-chief-collection posted:

343 Industries has said it "simply wasn't practical" to ship Halo: The Master Chief Collection on two discs, following fan complaints about the game's 20GB day one download.

Halo franchise development director Frank O'Connor has said that the game was "designed to run as a single, unified product", something that switching discs would have interrupted.

Because you ... can't install to the hard drive? Oh wait, the digital download is exactly that. These people lie so terribly.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Had he said "It wouldn't be practical because it would have doubled production costs," I'd have more respect for 'em.

That whole patch thing is a real bummer.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Was the '4 Halo games on just one disc' even a major selling point for them? Surely with how it installs all games to the hard drive anyway you'd never even need the 2nd disc past installation, and could just use either one of them to verify ownership. Is the only reason they did this cheaping out on a 2nd disc? Serving a massive patch to every surely has to cost them something, surely it can't save them that much money at the cost of annoying a lot of people.

This whole thing is just odd.

E: unless they don't have any way to stop both discs 'counting' as the owned product making it effectively 2 copies of the game in 1 after you install?

Blasmeister fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Oct 20, 2014

incorporeal
May 6, 2006

They should of took halo 4 out, no one wants to play that garbage anyways. Maybe that way the patch would be smaller.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Blasmeister posted:

Was the '4 Halo games on just one disc' even a major selling point for them? Surely with how it installs all games to the hard drive anyway you'd never even need the 2nd disc past installation, and could just use either one of them to verify ownership. Is the only reason they did this cheaping out on a 2nd disc? Serving a massive patch to every surely has to cost them something, surely it can't save them that much money at the cost of annoying a lot of people.

This whole thing is just odd.

Whether or not they spent a lot of time bragging about it (I don't remember exactly if it was a huge selling point from them), it was very impressive to me that they were fitting four uprezzed games and every multiplayer portion with all ~100 maps on a single disc. I remember them making that point, but I don't remember how hard they crowed about it.

Yeah, it's real dumb.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

incorporeal posted:

They should of took halo 4 out, no one wants to play that garbage anyways. Maybe that way the patch would be smaller.

now now, it was only 343s second game. no need to be mean

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

hanyolo posted:

You guys should probably try shilling the Wii U in the PS4 thread. They're the ones more likely to be desperate for a decent game to play. It's funny checking in on the thread every so often and seeing people getting excited over playing Towerfall, Spelunky, Binding of Issac, TLoU, etc.

From a few pages back, but the first two were free, and BoI is rumoured to be free next month. People enjoy free, fun games I guess.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
Holding off on a console was the best move as clearly both Sony and Microsoft thought they'd just push them out the door to get the money rolling in whilst spending the next couple of years patching in all the stuff that was present last gen.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

gschmidl posted:

Suspicions confirmed.

Because you ... can't install to the hard drive? Oh wait, the digital download is exactly that. These people lie so terribly.

Halo 4 used two discs as a solution for the exact same reason.

When you booted disc 2 it ran an installer which installed the multiplayer content pack and was something like 2 gigs, and the disc was useless beyond that (and I think you could even choose to download the data instead but I'm not 100% on that). Playing the game itself could only be done from Disc 1, including the multiplayer, it's just the multiplayer needed to have access to that data installed from disc 2 (or downloaded) to function.

But this is OK and all will be forgiven since the game is

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Seedge posted:

From a few pages back, but the first two were free, and BoI is rumoured to be free next month. People enjoy free, fun games I guess.

the reason i own a vita is for the BoI rebirth. gonna play that alll the time

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Nibbles! posted:

Holding off on a console was the best move as clearly both Sony and Microsoft thought they'd just push them out the door to get the money rolling in whilst spending the next couple of years patching in all the stuff that was present last gen.

Holding off is universally the best policy when it comes to electronic goods, I thought everyone already knew that. There's no joy in waiting though, just ask the people in the driveclub queue.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
That explanation for the 20gb patch :( It's like they think people forgot Halo 4 solved this problem 2 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Bass Bottles posted:

That explanation for the 20gb patch :( It's like they think people forgot Halo 4 solved this problem 2 years ago.

poo poo, dude, Halo ODST came on two discs.

e: I can't remember if you had to play the second disc or just install it though.

• Locked thread