Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

the limit is 50gb now and that's arbitrary, you can bump it up with a registry key, but your normal desktop systems will start making GBS threads themselves at around 20gb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

the limit is 50gb now and that's arbitrary, you can bump it up with a registry key, but your normal desktop systems will start making GBS threads themselves at around 20gb

and yet SQLite will just work with databases that kind of size

univbee posted:

i guarantee microsoft would have support calls within the hour for 1.5TB PST file repairs

why would a database need "repairs"? why would 1.5TB be unreasonable for someone with a couple decades of high volume mail (esp in a situation where everyone sends documents via email)

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

FMguru posted:

they were also done in by the shift from dos to windows 3.x. lotus and wp and borland and ashton tate were slow to release win3 versions of their software (and what they released was usually half-assed and buggy), while msft pulled out all the stops to make word and excel the best-in-class on windows. msft had an advantage in that the hundred people who most understood windows 3.0 were all located just two rows of cubicles over from the word and excel teams, and therve always been suggestions that windows was specifically written in ways to trip up non-office applications, but i just remember the big software incumbents of the 1980s being slow to fully pivot to windows and msft taking full advantage of their lassitude

agreed that wordperfect was the best

tbf i don't think a conspiracy is required for your competitors to just be incompetent

particularly back in those days when you didn't have All Of The RAM and All Of The Disk Space and All Of The CPU to throw at a problem. You can still completely soak a modern desktop supercomputer today, of course, but you do have to gently caress up at least somewhat creatively (e.g. inventing JavaScript) instead of merely attempting to do something like "interactively editing text with real-time formatting" without some serious loving skill and experience under your belt

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

eschaton posted:

why would a database need "repairs"? why would 1.5TB be unreasonable for someone with a couple decades of high volume mail (esp in a situation where everyone sends documents via email)

email is not a cms

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
mine is

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Mr Dog posted:

tbf i don't think a conspiracy is required for your competitors to just be incompetent
msft has a history of being sneaky and ruthless when it comes to eliminating competitors, even if their competitors were in the process of driving themselves out of business because of their own stupidity (see: netscape). "windows isnt done 'til lotus wont run" and all that

but yeah, their stupidity and inability to adapt to the new environment was probably 90% of the explanation. lotus and borland really did suck at writing windows apps, but then so did everyone outside of redmond washington. being able to pick the brains of the guys writing the os in the company cafeteria gave msft a real advantage over their competitors

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

eschaton posted:

and yet SQLite will just work with databases that kind of size

lol look at this clown over here

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

if you tried to install win95 on PC-DOS or DR-DOS, it gave you a cryptic error code and told you to call microsoft. the microsoft support people would tell you you're running an unsupported OS and to install MS-DOS. microsoft's excuse was "well they're dos clones and win95 uses esoteric MS-DOS poo poo so we can't guarantee compatibility"

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

if you tried to install win95 on PC-DOS or DR-DOS, it gave you a cryptic error code and told you to call microsoft. the microsoft support people would tell you you're running an unsupported OS and to install MS-DOS. microsoft's excuse was "well they're dos clones and win95 uses esoteric MS-DOS poo poo so we can't guarantee compatibility"

wait, the gently caress? wouldn't this not matter if you were formatting/reinstalling anyway?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cold on a Cob posted:

numbers is fine for me but businesses literally run on insane piles of excel macros

and as i mentioned earlier a lot of those don't even work in mac office (even simple stuff like "fill in this cell and then switch to this other cell").

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol @ using osx.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Luigi Thirty posted:

dr. dos

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Luigi Thirty posted:

that sounds like the "AARD code". relevant parts:

quote:

The AARD code was a segment of code in a beta release of Microsoft Windows 3.1 that would determine whether Windows was running on MS-DOS or PC DOS, rather than a competing workalike such as DR-DOS, and would result in a cryptic error message in the latter case. This XOR-encrypted, self-modifying, and deliberately obfuscated machine code used a variety of undocumented DOS structures and functions to perform its work, and appeared in the installer, WIN.COM and several other executables in the OS.

quote:

The rationale for the AARD code came to light when internal memos were released during the United States v. Microsoft antitrust case in 1999. Internal memos released by Microsoft revealed that the specific focus of these tests was DR-DOS.[10] At one point, Microsoft CEO Bill Gates sent a memo to a number of employees, reading "You never sent me a response on the question of what things an app would do that would make it run with MSDOS and not run with DR-DOS. Is there feature [sic] they have that might get in our way?"[11][9] Microsoft Senior Vice President Brad Silverberg later sent another memo, stating: "What the [user] is supposed to do is feel uncomfortable, and when he has bugs, suspect that the problem is DR-DOS and then go out to buy MS-DOS."[11][9]

it ran fine under DR-DOS, of course

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Shaggar posted:

lol @ using osx.

nice av

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Microsoft can't make anything last

http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/22/7043901/microsoft-is-ending-free-xbox-music-streaming

Microsoft is closing its free Xbox Music streaming service effective December 1st. The company will continue to offer music streaming through its Xbox Music service, but users will need to purchase an Xbox Music Pass to do so, at a monthly price of $9.99.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Cardboard Box A posted:

satya said in an internal meeting that microsoft has to be more like google and welp

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Beeftweeter posted:

that sounds like the "AARD code". relevant parts:

it ran fine under DR-DOS, of course

yeah that

there was another one where they said "win 95 will run on a 386!" but refused to install on anything but the last couple steppings because of some logic flaws that made win95 crash every 30 seconds

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Cardboard Box A posted:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/22/7043901/microsoft-is-ending-free-xbox-music-streaming

Microsoft is closing its free Xbox Music streaming service effective December 1st. The company will continue to offer music streaming through its Xbox Music service, but users will need to purchase an Xbox Music Pass to do so, at a monthly price of $9.99.

gee i wonder what'll happen when it fails to dominate the market after one iteration

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

it's time?
http://www.microsoft.com/investor/EarningsAndFinancials/Earnings/PressReleaseAndWebcast/FY15/Q1/default.aspx

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FMguru posted:

satya said in an internal meeting that microsoft has to be more like google and welp

going to give that name generator a workout

it'll be like google chat programs, except with enterprise antivirus

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
project 1

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

gross margin on surface units is positive

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

investor call starting: http://www.media-server.com/m/p/43yqzmc5

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

FMguru posted:

project 1

mlyp

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
raymond chen gets very angry when people claim msft intentionally broke/breaks compatibility for competing apps because he was one of the ones that got to spend a bunch of time patching apps in-memory to ensure that they do run despite being coded like poo poo

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

an epic charlie rose interview with steve ballmer. ill miss ballmer

http://www.charlierose.com/watch/60463433

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Sniep posted:

Office 97 was the last version of office that actually improved upon the former version, instead of stepping sideways in one way or another

Office 97 with good OOXML support would be nice.

DOC and XLS in China is loving hilarious, so the mainland uses babby Simplified Chinese and Hongkong where all the agents work use Traditional Chinese, unsurprisingly Microsoft does not allow both to work together. Even the default fonts for the same characters are different sizes. A lot of apps are still written locale based because they will run "faster" than Unicode ones, and thus everything will be incompatible either side of the border.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Luigi Thirty posted:

way back when, my win98 install completely poo poo the bed and needed to be reinstalled from scratch; it wouldn't even boot. i didn't have any convenient external drives but i had a lunix partition on my hd so i was happy i would be able to copy all my documents over before wiping the win98 partition and reinstalling, so it wouldn't be that bad to get my poo poo back in order. win98 absolutely refused to reinstall on its old partition and demanded that i wipe the entire drive to proceed. i'm still pissed about that to this day.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i remember around win 2k era you could install two windows versions on the same partition?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

And just there Shaggar's nightmare comes true

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Last Chance posted:

i remember around win 2k era you could install two windows versions on the same partition?
I think you could if you could rename your Windows folder during installation (what some people did, as most viruses/malware looked for c:\windows). I don't think you have been able to do that since Windows Vista

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

PleasureKevin posted:

also why does it say "microsoft love linux". can't they add and "s" or do like "we love linux"? how do they gently caress up everything that involves words????

this can be correct in the uk :iamafag:

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Shaggar posted:

lol @ using osx.

this is a significantly less awful av

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

way back when, my win98 install completely poo poo the bed and needed to be reinstalled from scratch; it wouldn't even boot. i didn't have any convenient external drives but i had a lunix partition on my hd so i was happy i would be able to copy all my documents over before wiping the win98 partition and reinstalling, so it wouldn't be that bad to get my poo poo back in order. win98 absolutely refused to reinstall on its old partition and demanded that i wipe the entire drive to proceed. i'm still pissed about that to this day.

that's standard behavior for OEM versions of Windows, no?

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

pseudorandom name posted:

that's standard behavior for OEM versions of Windows, no?

apparently it was back then. is there a reason for this beyond "gently caress the customer" ?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

apparently it was back then. is there a reason for this beyond "gently caress the customer" ?

if you let the customer think they can install multiple operating systems, they might try beos

and like it

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

prevents using the OEM install media to upgrade existing installations, which is forbidden by the terms of the license

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
windows is still a pain in the rear end with installing next to an existing linux

• Locked thread