Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Inzombiac posted:

It took a long goddamn time for Arrow to have and loving humor about itself.

So at what point does the shift from super-serious to humorous happen exactly? Because after watching the first couple episodes of this show, I can safely say that I really don't care about sitting through Totally-Not-Batman Begins: The Series and would rather just skip to the part where they start actually having some fun with the concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Jerusalem posted:

I'm only early into season 2 but I thought the show was really funny... was that not intentional? :sweatdrop:

It's best not to ask and just accept it for the campy-dark 80's vigilante soap opera that it is

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Harime Nui posted:

It's best not to ask and just accept it for the campy-dark 80's vigilante soap opera that it is

Phew, because I couldn't really see how the show where the vigilante and his bodyguard have a loud argument IN PUBLIC about him being a secret vigilante was meant to be taken as anything but tongue-in-cheek. Especially since they're surrounded by media at the time and later on in the episode footage of their argument is shown on television but apparently nobody picked up the audio :xd:

Campy-dark is a really great term for it, thanks.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I severely doubt it's written intentionally as satire or with humor. I think it is just not a very good show. There are thousands of times when they totally blow their covers but the citizens are as dumb as those in Metropolis that can't connect Superman to Clark Kent.

The only time it is humorous is when the IT girl called Oliver on his brooding crap but it never goes anywhere.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah, Arrow is pure campy drama and you watch it for the same reason you watch something like Walking Dead--minus the gore.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

I hated his voice so much. Here's a big, buff dude and he sounds like someone in his 70s.

Also, the times they had to overdub him were so painfully obvious, at least a the theatre I saw it at. One moment he's mumbling away like a crazy old homeless man with his head in a bucket and the next he's crystal clear like he's standing in a sound booth.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I must be the only one in the world who actually liked the "bane voice". Yes it was a silly non-specifically foreign accent that bore none of the gravitas or menace that it was obviously supposed to. But hey, I thought it was fun.

sulphix
Dec 15, 2008

Lotish posted:

Yeah, Arrow is pure campy drama and you watch it for the same reason you watch something like Walking Dead--minus the gore.

I still feel awkward/guilty trying to explain to people why I watch the Walking Dead.

Sooo, I've been on a Coen brother's binge recently, rewatched Blood Simple. Now I like that movie a lot, but it loving irritates me beyond belief when Ray (the boyfriend) cleans up the dude's blood with his jacket. Like, who the gently caress would do that! In a bar, there are certainly towels and other absorbent things everywhere. I understand shock and disbelief in what he's seeing and all, but seriously dude, cleaning up someone else's blood with your loving jacket. Not a good idea.

Still really like the movie though, so whatever.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Lotish posted:

I have not seen TDKR, but I'm starting to think I should just so I can understand what people mean by things like "the Bane voice." I get the feeling it's going to be a joke/complaint for a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgT1gtdC-PE

It is terrible.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Inzombiac posted:

It took a long goddamn time for Arrow to have and loving humor about itself.
Also, Solomon Grundy is just a strong guy in a black mask? That worse than Black Canary not having sonic powers. Those little disks don't count. The Flash has actual super powers, why can't she?

That's probably not Black Canary, rather it's the future Black Canary's sister. I figure we'll see the real one when the show gets around to it. Also the Grundy thing ends with him getting acid(or some sort of evil bubbling caustic thing, maybe more of the Japanese wonder drug) on his face, and even makes sure to call that back. So I'm guessing he'll be all zombified and gross in his inevitable next appearance. It'll be just like Deadshot. First appearance he was some boring sniper with no distinguishing characteristics, now he actually has the cyber-eye and everything.

My problem with Grundy was that the literal only thing they did to give the character anything was to leave a copy of the Grundy poem in his apartment, it was more than a little stilted.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

It is terrible.

Mumbly man with panties on head in a lovely analogue for the 99% movement, villain for the hypercapitalist mumblymouth 'hero' who has a funny joke of 'they let me keep the house' referring to his giant mansion.

gently caress that whole movie ugh.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

sulphix posted:

I still feel awkward/guilty trying to explain to people why I watch the Walking Dead.
Because just like with Lost and Sherlock, you would otherwise have absolutely no idea what everyone was talking about around the water cooler.

Also because Norman Reedus.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I used to wonder why my wife liked Walking Dead so much, then I realized it was just a soap opera with zombies :v:

I thought the first season was ok, but everything after that was pretty boring; that's not even taking into account how played out the whole zombie thing is. Season 4 was terrible...a whole season's worth of character studies just so they can lead up to the Terminus. Other than the Governor stuff, literally nothing happened in season 4 until the end.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Jerusalem posted:

Phew, because I couldn't really see how the show where the vigilante and his bodyguard have a loud argument IN PUBLIC about him being a secret vigilante was meant to be taken as anything but tongue-in-cheek. Especially since they're surrounded by media at the time and later on in the episode footage of their argument is shown on television but apparently nobody picked up the audio :xd:

Campy-dark is a really great term for it, thanks.

Arrows disguise is putting on a hood and smearing some black paint around his eyes. Surely no one will recognize the billionaire playboy that just made his triumphant return after being lost at sea for five years! It's even worse than supermans disguise because supes secret identity is at least just some guy working a normal job and not loving famous.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

BrigadierSensible posted:

I must be the only one in the world who actually liked the "bane voice". Yes it was a silly non-specifically foreign accent that bore none of the gravitas or menace that it was obviously supposed to. But hey, I thought it was fun.

I thought it was fun. I thought the prison where Bane grew up was meant to be on a Caribbean island though, now there's a range of accents all round the Caribbean, but he didn't sound like any of them.

Pidmon posted:

Mumbly man with panties on head in a lovely analogue for the 99% movement, villain for the hypercapitalist mumblymouth 'hero' who has a funny joke of 'they let me keep the house' referring to his giant mansion.

gently caress that whole movie ugh.

I wonder what it would have been like if someone like Alan Moore had made it instead? He would've made Bane the hero of the whole piece, and I'm still not sure why he wasn't. All the bad stuff he does is really quite nice when compared to Batman. He gets rid of the corruption in the police and all the gangsters in Gotham, shares the wealth, solves homelessness by breaking open all the mansions so everyone can camp in there, and is somehow keeping the town running smoothly enough to keep it nice and clean and well-supplied. Yes, he gives guns to criminals, but Batman has more military hardware than the US armed forces and everyone's okay with that; yes, he sentences people to death or exile, but Batman lets people die in falling monorails without even a trial, and everyone's okay with that too; yes, nobody voted for him and he just started this whole revolution, but nobody voted for Batman either and they let him hack everyone's phones and beat people up in the street.
Plus, Bane is just a more sympathetic character. He's a self-made man who struggled against adversity and came up from nothing and protected his friend Talia in the prison to help her escape, and Batman's a rich oligarch who got his money from inheritance, stock trading and selling weapons. Bane's the hero!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Shai-Hulud posted:

Arrows disguise is putting on a hood and smearing some black paint around his eyes. Surely no one will recognize the billionaire playboy that just made his triumphant return after being lost at sea for five years! It's even worse than supermans disguise because supes secret identity is at least just some guy working a normal job and not loving famous.

On Arrow no one recognizes him because no one ever gets a good look. When he has to talk to people he knows he uses a voice modulator and never faces them directly. Also he wears a mask now.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
Because my girlfriend and I are clearly gluttons for punishment, we've been watching the latest American Horror story season.

Besides the fact that so far the story is terrible and most characters are annoying, I'm incredibly annoyed by Jessica Lange's accent. She's supposed to be a German immigrant and yet she sounds nothing like a German speaking English (I work in an English speaking German company, where most of the staff is German, and nobody sounds like this).

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?
Speaking of arming criminals, why does Batman have a ton of rifles and SMGs in his armory? I get that he maybe confiscated them from criminals, but why doesn't he destroy them? Or launder them through Wayne Enterprises' small arms division and sell them to the US military? For a man who doesn't use guns, it doesn't make sense to keep a warehouse full of them.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Big Grunty Secret posted:

Speaking of arming criminals, why does Batman have a ton of rifles and SMGs in his armory? I get that he maybe confiscated them from criminals, but why doesn't he destroy them? Or launder them through Wayne Enterprises' small arms division and sell them to the US military? For a man who doesn't use guns, it doesn't make sense to keep a warehouse full of them.

How do you think Batman tests his batsuit-armor against firearms?

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Hercules spoilers featuring The Rock

First, I think this was cool: the movie shows that there are no real monsters and that Hercules is probably just some strong dude. He pretty much has a hype man follow him around and boast and make him a legend, when in reality he did those things but not as fantastic. For ex., the Hydra was just a couple of dudes in lizard masks, and centaurs were dudes on horseback who always fought with their backs against the sun so they looked like one creature.
I guess what I'm trying to say is I hate when movies talk about or mention better adventures than what this movie is about. I think back to Indiana Jones/Crystal Skull where he and the double-triple-double agent keep referring to "remember (cool city)? Remember what happened there???" and it sounds way better than what we are looking it.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

muscles like this? posted:

On Arrow no one recognizes him because no one ever gets a good look. When he has to talk to people he knows he uses a voice modulator and never faces them directly. Also he wears a mask now.

Later on Detective Lance knows that Canary is his daughter, is dating Oliver and talks to Arrow and Canary several times in full light with the hood up and the small mask AND STILL CAN'T PIECE IT TOGETHER. Hell, even Laurel gets within six inches of Canary's face and can't tell it's her sister. The Lance family is inhabited of exclusively retarded people. No wonder the mom left when she got the chance.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Inzombiac posted:

Later on Detective Lance knows that Canary is his daughter, is dating Oliver and talks to Arrow and Canary several times in full light with the hood up and the small mask AND STILL CAN'T PIECE IT TOGETHER. Hell, even Laurel gets within six inches of Canary's face and can't tell it's her sister. The Lance family is inhabited of exclusively retarded people. No wonder the mom left when she got the chance.

They hint he knows but just does not admit it. It the same as Jim Gordon.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

CJacobs posted:

Bane's voice in that movie is so drat stupid. God it's so stupid.

Agreed, Hardy has a decent speaking voice, I wish they'd have just let him lower his tone a bit rather than that weirdly high-pitched fumbly accent thing he did. Either that or have someone else voice him that has a more ominous voice and actually sounds threatening.

KoB posted:

Have you played Diablo? He sounds like younger Deckard Cain when he says "Stay a while and listen"

:monocle: Holy poo poo, spot on - it's Deckard talking into a soup can, basically

BOOTY-ADE has a new favorite as of 21:31 on Oct 24, 2014

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I didn't watch the dark knight movie, but Tom Hardy can be pretty scary imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtkR3Oni1rY

(:stare: at the video title)

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Fresh Prince Of Bel Air:

I find it hard to believe that a black male teenager would be able to get a cab that fast in Beverly Hills.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
He got that cab in West Philadelphia and rode it to Beverly Hills, CA! It's perfectly reasonable!

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Actually there's another verse in the full version of the song where he talks about the plane ride!

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011

Ignite Memories posted:

Actually there's another verse in the full version of the song where he talks about the plane ride!

The whole intro (which I've only seen once) actually shows him getting on the plane.

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

Harime Nui posted:

He got that cab in West Philadelphia and rode it to Beverly Hills, CA! It's perfectly reasonable!

If anything, you could say that cab was rare.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Y'know at first, that was what I assumed, but then I thought "nah forget it" and stopped being irrationally irritated by any media starring Will Smith.

Static!
Jul 17, 2007

Hold on, I'm watching this...

Wild T posted:

Also a deleted scene shows them yank an identical chip out of Arnie's head and put it back in.

I was catching up on the thread and just checked out the video of this scene on dailymotion.

Arnie tells Sarah to "rotate the two locking cylinders counter-clockwise" with an air tool. It looks a lot like she tests it out twice, and both times it spins clockwise.

Static!
Jul 17, 2007

Hold on, I'm watching this...

DrBouvenstein posted:

It's better to think of him as composed of billions of nanobots, i.e. "grey goo."

They can mimic flesh (or at least mimic it enough to fool the time machine,) but aren't advanced enough to make themselves into "new" electronics. Since each one is it's own "bot," they all have the micro-iest of microscopic CPUs, and some sort of shared, wireless, processing. Hence why pieces can move around on their own.

By the time of T3, the nanobots have improved to the point where they can combine into complex electronics.

Why don't Skynet just send a T-3 model super assassin cyborg back to 1984 and deal with SARAH CANNAH once and for all? Is there a time window in that universe?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Its weird cuz in T2, the foster dad gets a visit from a huge man riding on a motorcycle asking about his 11-year-old hooligan son in a weird accent and then a cop shows up looking for info about John and then the dad asks if anythings up.

Cop: No, don't worry about the police asking on the whereabouts of your young son and certainly don't give a second thought to the 250 pound muscle-bound foreigner who speaks strangely also asking about him.

Dad: OK! (cracks a beer)

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

oldpainless posted:

Its weird cuz in T2, the foster dad gets a visit from a huge man riding on a motorcycle asking about his 11-year-old hooligan son in a weird accent and then a cop shows up looking for info about John and then the dad asks if anythings up.

Cop: No, don't worry about the police asking on the whereabouts of your young son and certainly don't give a second thought to the 250 pound muscle-bound foreigner who speaks strangely also asking about him.

Dad: OK! (cracks a beer)

The foster dad was a bit of a gently caress up, and John was a juvenile delinquent who was into motorcycles. Having a giant biker show up probably wasn't too far out of the realm of possibility.

Bad Roy
Jan 29, 2008

Animals are like humans, always being dicks.
Saw The Babadook last night and whilst I really enjoyed it, a few silly little things in the final scenes irritated me.

Where did the kid get the dove for the final magic trick he does? You can't just find a dove for that sort of thing! Also, when you see the basement door has about five or six locks on it to keep the Babadook in - why would she buy all different varieties, sizes and colours of the same lock rather than a job lot of one kind?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Static! posted:

I was catching up on the thread and just checked out the video of this scene on dailymotion.

Arnie tells Sarah to "rotate the two locking cylinders counter-clockwise" with an air tool. It looks a lot like she tests it out twice, and both times it spins clockwise.

As I recall, you're seeing the scene in a mirror.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In John Wick when the Russian mob boss is telling somebody about the title character he tells them that the Russian mob used to call Wick "Baba Yaga" which he says just means "the boogeyman." The problem with this is that Baba Yaga is a specific thing in Russian folklore and not just a generic term (also Baba Yaga is female.)

The rest of the movie is good but this just stood out to me.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Static! posted:

Why don't Skynet just send a T-3 model super assassin cyborg back to 1984 and deal with SARAH CANNAH once and for all? Is there a time window in that universe?

I think the story is that the T-101 and T-1000 were sent back simultaneously when the resistance is about to crush Skynet. The machines were hedging their bets by sending a standard terminator and two prototypes to different areas in case one or more of them hosed up.

In T-3 Arnie mentions that destroying the salvaged Terminator processors only delayed Judgement Day so T-X comes from a different future or something. It's hard to remember because T-3 was a crappy movie.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Don't think about timetravel, it does not make sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
There is a book that the game Original War is based on, called Last Day of Creation (I think) that does time travel well. Each time something happens in the past, the future changes. So sometimes you get people coming in from different futures meeting others from different futures as well.