Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.

Deakul posted:

So, what exactly is bad about Evil Within? I'm hearing good stuff about it like it's an improved RE4.

The plot makes zero sense. And from watching people play it from Chapter 10ish on you are given 1/3rd of the ammo you need for the amount of enemies you encounter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

triplexpac posted:

Are these tables any good?

I personally can't recommend the walking dead table as a pinball experience, as it feels stilted to me. Doctor Strange is pretty good and flows fairly well.

Orv posted:

I don't know that it's still yet worth recommending you spend money on Interstellar Marines, but it is currently half off, and they seem to have finally gotten their poo poo in gear. Worth a consideration, and I might stream it later on just to give you a better idea.

They've released a target shooting game before, something like three rewrites ago, but ths is the first time they've had anything shoot back, so it'll be nice.

Ragequit posted:

I have not picked up Walking Dead yet, but Doctor Strange was all right. I've honestly had the most fun with the light-hearted tables, like Epic Quest and Plants vs. Zombies.

The first round of Star Wars tables are pretty solid. The latest ones are a little 'meh'.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Davincie posted:

considering one of the bad guys looks like this

its way more accurate to say you're fighting evil german/soviets while the other big faction is the dutch/english

it's actually way faster to never use the tank at all and only use scouts.

Tanks are pretty cool though, but yeah cheering things with Scouts work very well.

The game is only $14 on GMG and that includes all DLCs. The game is great, the story is good, strategy sections are intereating, the game has full resolution change support, customizable controls, and you should be able to down sample the heck out of it considering low system reqs.

This is a no-brainer buy especially if one hasn't played it or finished it. Much hyped!

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
Contraption Maker is $1.49 in the sale and comes with two copies. Is it the revival of Incredible Machine I desperately want it to be?

Some good sale buys that I'm not sure have been mentioned yet:

The Room- Awesome, short puzzler

Nexus: The Jupiter Incident- This is a space game from a few years ago and I'm told it's awesome. I'll be picking it up tomorrow.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

Xeras posted:

The plot makes zero sense. And from watching people play it from Chapter 10ish on you are given 1/3rd of the ammo you need for the amount of enemies you encounter.

Ammo really isn't a problem. You'll usually be low, but never so low you can't do what you need to do, as long as you're being smart and using traps and matches and poo poo. If you're trying to just dump into enemies to kill them, yeah, but then you're doing it totally wrong and the game will gently caress you up for it.

edit: I guess in that way, at least, it really does remind me of RE4, just with traps instead of melee combos. Both games have guns as useful tools to set up favorable situations rather than the main thing you get kills with.

Dog Fat Man Chaser fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Oct 30, 2014

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
w, ,...t.tterytywww
m e ewtywuwy.:a2m:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

FadedReality posted:

Contraption Maker is $1.49 in the sale and comes with two copies. Is it the revival of Incredible Machine I desperately want it to be?
Yes.

Although I did run into a strange issue of a cannonball's trajectory changing whenever I moved a piece located in a completely unrelated corner of the field. But it's only going to matter if you're trying for a "pixel-perfect breaking the system" solution.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Deakul posted:

So, what exactly is bad about Evil Within? I'm hearing good stuff about it like it's an improved RE4.

It's a horror game that isn't scary. People seem to have expected psychological horror, but the game pretty much throws that out the window by chapter 4 to go for a more action-y approach. There's also a lot of stuff, like stealth and chest-trap disarming, that straight up disappears.

Edit: That aside, I don't think people think it's an awful game, even if the final chapter is pretty lol.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Oct 30, 2014

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I just bought Valkyria Chronicles (which I own on the PS3, but Only got about 30% of the way through), and some game called "Guns N Zombies" which was $1.19 and likely terrible, but looked relatively fun and had 75% positive reviews according to enhanced steam.

Has anyone played Guns N Zombies? Is it worth actually loading up and trying out?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
So is this indicative of how sales are going to be from now on? I.e. no more dailies?

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

Broken Cog posted:

It's a horror game that isn't scary. People seem to have expected psychological horror, but the game pretty much throws that out the window by chapter 4 to go for a more action-y approach. There's also a lot of stuff, like stealth and chest-trap disarming, that straight up disappears.

Yeah, this is the real bummer. There's still, like, SOME stealth and horror bits later on, but they're short and you can just fight through them with no worries. The shift is kinda gradual, but it's definitely there.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Kin posted:

So is this indicative of how sales are going to be from now on? I.e. no more dailies?

I don't think so; why would you think that? They've done big huge batch sales often in the past.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Kin posted:

Uh, we just had dailies last weekend's sale or the week before? Was it Deep Silver or whoever owns Saints Row. This is a glorified weekly sale, not a true holiday sale like Thanksgiving or Christmas where they have actual dailies, flash deals, community choice, etc.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Good games with decent sale %:
  • Hotline Miami
  • The Binding of Isaac Collection
  • The Walking Dead
  • The Swapper
  • Outlast
  • Amnesia: The Dark Descent
  • Spec Ops: The Line
  • System Shock 2
  • The Room
  • Devil May Cry 4
  • Alan Wake
  • The Witcher 2
  • Darksiders Collection
  • Dead Space
  • The Typing of the Dead
  • Closure
  • State of Decay
  • Painkiller: Black
  • The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing Collection
  • The Void
  • Prototype 2
  • F.E.A.R.
  • The Testament of Sherlock Holmes

I'm sure I missed some but henstly the new Steam layout doesn't make it easier to navigate the browser.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Deakul posted:

It starts as a neat survival horror style game, and quickly grows into revisiting many of the best parts of RE4. However shortly after the 4-5 hour mark ( of a 15 hour game ), it suddenly takes a turn for the worst. It becomes a strange action shooter style game similar to RE5 ( but worse ), and eventually ends trying to ape the worst parts of RE6. On top of this, the gameplay systems that were designed for the early parts of the game don't really support what it ends up becoming, so you have terrible sections with waves of instant kill enemies that have bullshit unavoidable attacks.

This would suck by itself, but it's also obvious they couldn't figure out the idTech engine very well, so the levels aren't very cohesive, and the plot justifications they put in place for this is sloppy, and not very engaging.

Even with all these problems, I'd say it's interesting enough that most people might enjoy playing it, just wait until the Christmas sale/early next year, as it'll probably drop in price pretty quickly. Bethesda games usually do, and it hasn't been selling all that well on top of that, judging by the reactions.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Kin posted:

This one is barely a sale; this year they seem to be making the Halloween sale a more low-key thing than before, making it more like one of the publisher weekends.

I don't think this is indicative of anything besides that.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Kin posted:

Halloween sale was always like this.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"
Thinking of buying Darksiders 2 and its DLC, since its 85% off. Does the Season Pass include everything or does it miss one or two of the DLCs? Also, are the DLCs worth it?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Van Helsing is a surprisingly good and entertaining Diablo clone, especially for a Eastern European studio that basically showed up out of nowhere and has otherwise nothing but two strategy titles to its name. The whole Slavic mythology setting is pretty cool and fresh compared to your stereotypical Dark Medieval Europe, which doesn't hurt either.

I recommend getting it, you definitely get more than you money's worth.

Downs Duck posted:

Thinking of buying Darksiders 2 and its DLC, since its 85% off. Does the Season Pass include everything or does it miss one or two of the DLCs? Also, are the DLCs worth it?
No they aren't and don't do it. The game is basically only half-complete and gets boring as gently caress after the initial area, which is admittedly really good.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Downs Duck posted:

Don't buy Darksiders 2. Even if you get it at next to nothing.

Unlike Darksiders, it has little to no actual point to it. It's basically about four hours of gameplay padded out to about 20+ with pointless "You must get three of these!" things that don't do anything except artificially pad out the length of the game.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Downs Duck posted:

As someone who likes grinding, action RPGs, can tolerate fetchquests, and enjoys the relevant aesthetic/theme...

Darksiders 2 was a disappointment for me. I wouldn't recommend it :(

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Ddraig posted:

Don't buy Darksiders 2. Even if you get it at next to nothing.

Unlike Darksiders, it has little to no actual point to it. It's basically about four hours of gameplay padded out to about 20+ with pointless "You must get three of these!" things that don't do anything except artificially pad out the length of the game.

Yeah, just get Darksiders 1. Darksiders 2 was one of the most disappointing games I've played.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Buy Van Helsing instead. Much more enjoyable than Darksiders 2.

Or just get Darksiders 1 if you haven't played it, which is a legit good game.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Ddraig posted:

Or just get Darksiders 1 if you haven't played it, which is a legit good game.
Better, anyways. It still suffers from God of War syndrome, but for some people that's a good thing.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I almost bought the first two Witcher games earlier this week, I've been meaning to play them forever. But I changed my mind at the last minute and now I'm super glad because I just got both of them for $6!

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
It's a drat shame, too, because I loving loved Darksiders :(

where are the sequels, Deep Silver :argh:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I liked both Darksiders games. :shrug:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Manatee Cannon posted:

I liked both Darksiders games. :shrug:

Yeah, Darksiders 2 is perfectly fine, I don't know where the bile is coming from?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Deakul posted:

Yeah, Darksiders 2 is perfectly fine, I don't know where the bile is coming from?
The gameplay itself is solid and implemented just fine, but the production process was a self-admitted rush job and it's very visible in the mission design and the latter half of the game. Which is a shame, because until that point it's very fun. Acknowledging that is hardly bile.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"
Alright, thanks guys. I'll play Darksiders 1 for now.

gilljoy
May 3, 2009
Any must haves on sale?

I'm not a big fan of the new UI with this sale

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Deakul posted:

Maybe if you collect three posts and brought them back to me I could let you go collect three more threads before sending you to another area?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Deakul posted:

I felt like I was compelled to do chores and puzzles before I was able to fight anything interesting. I mean, I wouldn't fighting more of the peons and tiny mooks they throw at you, but combat felt too poorly paced for me to enjoy. Other games have me swimming in the corpses of my enemies while this one nudges me towards another roundabout beam climb.

I mean, it's not bad if you have little else to do, but this game wore out my patience.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

lordfrikk posted:

It's a drat shame, too, because I loving loved Darksiders :(

where are the sequels, Deep Silver :argh:

:ssh: Deep Silver didn't get the Darksiders IP, it was Nordic Games.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Morter posted:

I felt like I was compelled to do chores and puzzles before I was able to fight anything interesting. I mean, I wouldn't fighting more of the peons and tiny mooks they throw at you, but combat felt too poorly paced for me to enjoy. Other games have me swimming in the corpses of my enemies while this one nudges me towards another roundabout beam climb.

I mean, it's not bad if you have little else to do, but this game wore out my patience.
It doesn't help that the payoff is kinda lame. There's really only one good boss fight, and that's the one they ripped off from Shadow of the Colossus.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
I thought Darksiders 2 had some awesome setpieces, cool bosses, good combat, and decent exploration. I think if you want more Darksiders story and art direction it's worth your time regardless of its flaws.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated
Instead of worrying about Darksiders, buy Valkyria Chronicles. It's less then $15 on GMG.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Yeah, I'd say it's not the same as the first game but it's just as good. It being different was a good thing to me. Neither is amazing, but both are quite good.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS

Palpek posted:

I'm sure I missed some but henstly the new Steam layout doesn't make it easier to navigate the browser.

They need an exclusion checklist, like exclude DLCs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Picked myself Fallout 3 back up again now that I'm home from work. I'm thinking of just ignoring mods for a while altogether so I can just play the game, since I don't remember any of the good ones.

• Locked thread