Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

revdrkevind posted:

Communist detected.

Do not allow the red menace to prevent you from doing your duty and playing Fallout 3.

You uh, seem to have forgotten what Operation Anchorage actually was. It had no Liberty Prime in it at all. You are thinking of Broken Steel perhaps?

Whenever people say that Fallout 3 had better exploration than New Vegas I get really confused, because exploration in Fallout 3 was awful. Everything was kind of samey and spread out. New Vegas if you set in any direction you're quite likely to find something cool and unique, and not only will it make sense but you'll notice little touches that make you realize that the developers actually spent time on this. Fallout 3 never felt like that.

Zeron fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Oct 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Ddraig posted:

Has there ever been a good video game based on a band?

Well there was Holy Diver for the NES.

So, no.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Operation Anchorage was Bethesda's attempt at dragging the COD people with a Fallout themed COD-clone done on GameBryo. It sure was a thing.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Zeron posted:

You uh, seem to have forgotten what Operation Anchorage actually was. It had no Liberty Prime in it at all. You are thinking of Broken Steel perhaps?

Operation Anchorage gave us what we all really wanted from a Fallout game: mowing down hordes of faceless mooks in the Gamebryo engine.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Zeron posted:

Whenever people say that Fallout 3 had better exploration than New Vegas I get really confused, because exploration in Fallout 3 was awful. Everything was kind of samey and spread out. New Vegas if you set in any direction you're quite likely to find something cool and unique, and not only will it make sense but you'll notice little touches that make you realize that the developers actually spent time on this. Fallout 3 never felt like that.

Yeah, going anywhere in New Vegas there was always some kind of story you could figure out about the place.

The only concession Bethesda made was the skeletons strung up in ridiculous poses which was short hand for "something interesting may have happened here" but they couldn't be bothered to expound upon it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

New Vegas if you set in any direction you're quite likely to find something cool and unique, and not only will it make sense but you'll notice little touches that make you realize that the developers actually spent time on this. Fallout 3 never felt like that.

I just go from quest to quest in NV because Obsidian wasn't all that good at that actually. Fallout 3 was more fun to just wander in to me.

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013

Zeron posted:

It's completely opposite for me. I couldn't bring myself to finish NV, because how boring it was going through the desert everywhere even though gameplay wise NV is so much better. I mean I pretty much have nearly all cheevos in FO3, because it was so fun to just explore and find new stuff. Also the safehouse in Megaton with Vault theme was so cool.
FO3 and NV are really one of those divisive games noone can 100% agree on I guess :v:

Nokiaman fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Oct 31, 2014

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
7 Days to Die looks like decent fun and the reviews seem mostly positive. Is it worth picking up and is it fun in coop? I don't care for PvP.

Rage McDougal
Jul 28, 2013

Ddraig posted:

And yes, Mr. New Vegas is far better than Three Dog. I guess this is another dig at Bethesda, since Mr. New Vegas is a literal machine.

If anyone doesn't know: Mr. New Vegas was based of (and voiced by!) Wayne Newton, aka Mr. Las Vegas, a famous Las Vegas performer.

His super warm and friendly voice was fantastic, and I loved hearing him between all the songs. He was far and away better than Fallout 3's "Ow! It's Three Dog, comin' atcha!", who I got annoyed with almost immediately.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Ddraig posted:

Has there ever been a good video game based on a band? I remember there was some terrible Kiss thing. Ed Hunter was maybe OK?

I enjoyed the old Blues Brothers game on the Amiga, if that counts (the band existed beyond the film).

The Amiga also had a Motörhead beat em up.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ryuga Death posted:

7 Days to Die looks like decent fun and the reviews seem mostly positive. Is it worth picking up and is it fun in coop? I don't care for PvP.

The extent to which you can destroy peoples minds through griefing is the only good thing about that game.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Hav posted:

Will Wright is forever on my shitlist for Spore. The hype-train was ridiculous and ended up with molyneux-esque 'yeah, you can do that' for pretty much everything.
The worst thing is you occasionally hear little snippets about how half the team wanted the game to be more complex and have creature design actually matter where the other half the team and the publisher wanted a more casual The Sims experience.

It's a drat shame that the muddled mess we ended up with could have been a much better game.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

People who don't like Fallout 3 clearly didn't mod the game to have a human-size Liberty Prime as a follower. :colbert:

EDIT: I did that and then I also dressed up Jericho in the Mechanist's outfit so it looked like he was jealous of how cool my rad robot buddy was and wanted to get my attention. I had a lot of fun with Fallout 3.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Orv posted:

The extent to which you can destroy peoples minds through griefing is the only good thing about that game.

I disagree. I think 7 Days is the best game "of that type" available right now. You know, building-a-base with friends and trying to survive against nature (which are zombies in this case) and other survivors who want your stuff.

The game is also in active and steady development. If it sounds like the kind of game you would want to play, then I suggest you go for it.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
5 Nights at Freddy's being the daily on Halloween is gonna sell like gangbusters.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Ddraig posted:

Has there ever been a good video game based on a band? I remember there was some terrible Kiss thing. Ed Hunter was maybe OK?

Blind Guardian in Sacred 2 was pretty cool, I guess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyfE55c_ZjI

Brutal Legend, for the most part.
It's based on all the rock and metal bands.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

I just go from quest to quest in NV because Obsidian wasn't all that good at that actually. Fallout 3 was more fun to just wander in to me.

Part of the problem there is that it was really just the same thing again. Same assets, same engine (I'm so glad the Oblivion/Fallout 3 engine is done because I was so tired of that poo poo), same feel. After sinking a hundred hours into each of the games before it it's hard to ignore the similarities.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

Part of the problem there is that it was really just the same thing again. Same assets, same engine (I'm so glad the Oblivion/Fallout 3 engine is done because I was so tired of that poo poo), same feel. After sinking a hundred hours into each of the games before it it's hard to ignore the similarities.

Skyrim was also that engine, we have no idea if they're finally bother to upgrade for FO4/TES6.

Orv fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 31, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
The Gamebryo engine/whatever variant they used for Skyrim is literally held together by virtual marshmallow fluff and twist-ties.

You can't upgrade it.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Drifter posted:

The Gamebryo engine/whatever variant they used for Skyrim is literally held together by virtual marshmallow fluff and twist-ties.

You can't upgrade it.

I mean to something other than Gamebryo.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
They'll probably squeeze at least one more game out of Gamebyro. This article from last year had the sentence "Something we've only discovered on our current, unannounced work are what we call 'Helper Markers'". This suggests to me that they are using the same world editor for their next game, and therefore very likely it will be Gamebyro again.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Ddraig posted:

Has there ever been a good video game based on a band? I remember there was some terrible Kiss thing.
The Kiss: Psycho Circus FPS loving owned you philistine.

Cosmic Web
Jan 11, 2005

"Stand and deliver, that my hamster might have a better look at you!"
Fun Shoe

Ddraig posted:

Blind Guardian in Sacred 2 was pretty cool, I guess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyfE55c_ZjI

No clue about good band games, but stumbling over In Extremo in Gothic 1 was pretty impressive back in 2001:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DANm3gxaIXA&t=170s

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

buzzsaw.gif posted:

Wow, this was a surprise:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/294860/

Valkyria Chronicles PC port; $18 bux.

This game is a really great strategytactics RPGanime. And when I say "really great" that's something, because I really hate most anime nonsense, and this game looks anime as hell. The gameplay, however, is so good that the anime nonsense didn't even faze me.

Not sure if I agree about the "look" necessarily. I think the graphics are really great and look different from most "anime" games. But yes, whether "anime as hell" or not, it's a great game. It certainly has its faults and weird balancing decisions (maybe modders can help there) but overall it's one of the best SRPGs out there and one of the best PS3 exclusives.

GMG still has the 10% off and a coupon so you can get the game for under $15. Get it!

On Fallout 3 - I think landscape and architecture and exploration is better then New Vegas. I like the vibe of the environment more. Mods: https://sites.google.com/site/fo3wanderersedition/recommended-mods. There are more though for character bodies and environment.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/2456/ - this one is really good as it changes landscape to be more green vs dustland.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

ymgve posted:

They'll probably squeeze at least one more game out of Gamebyro. This article from last year had the sentence "Something we've only discovered on our current, unannounced work are what we call 'Helper Markers'". This suggests to me that they are using the same world editor for their next game, and therefore very likely it will be Gamebyro again.

I really really hope it's not being used for Fallout 4/Elder Scrolls Next. That would be a huge limiting factor.

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010

ymgve posted:

After how successful Skyrim was despite the engine performance, there is almost zero possibility that they will even attempt to justify the time and money needed for an engine overhaul. They're just going to keep adding duct tape and workarounds forever.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

oblomov posted:

Not sure if I agree about the "look" necessarily. I think the graphics are really great and look different from most "anime" games. But yes, whether "anime as hell" or not, it's a great game. It certainly has its faults and weird balancing decisions (maybe modders can help there) but overall it's one of the best SRPGs out there and one of the best PS3 exclusives.

Your viewpoint is certainly valid and I do like the graphics in game. The gameplay is actually very pleasantly watchable. The only things that make me roll my eyes are the cutscenes, and I'm certainly willing to admit that my anime prejudice is the real issue here.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
I would happily play as many janky Gambryo Fallout/Elder Scrolls games as can be produced until the sun gives out its last ashen light.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

oblomov posted:

I really really hope it's not being used for Fallout 4/Elder Scrolls Next. That would be a huge limiting factor.

When it comes to Bethesda, never believe the hype:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7trmEmI5Js

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Orv posted:

Oh good god. :suicide:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBXA-eqIt58

Yup, annoying in every language.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
Public service announcement: Since everybody is probably swimming in copies of Risk of Rain now, they fixed a bug recently in the new update that had broken leveling, which had made it nearly impossible to get past a few levels. It's still a tough game of course, but if you tried it and found it super frustrating give it another go now, maybe you'll get farther.

Also I got 2 1 copies for goons, add me if you would like one :): http://steamcommunity.com/id/logan5_/

Logan 5 fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Oct 31, 2014

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Drifter posted:

You can't upgrade it.

I fear they'll be chained to that engine forever. Just for the sake of modability, I can't imagine them moving to a new engine and keeping things easily modable.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

oblomov posted:

GMG still has the 10% off and a coupon so you can get the game for under $15. Get it!

If you're one of the few that has issues with GMG, GetGames also has it on for $14.99

http://www.getgamesgo.com/product/v...es%20pre-orders

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

Hav posted:

Will Wright is forever on my shitlist for Spore. The hype-train was ridiculous and ended up with molyneux-esque 'yeah, you can do that' for pretty much everything.

Well people familiar with Will Wright's career knew that he had tried to make that game at least twice before and failed miserably so they knew to keep their expectations in check. What he should have done was get back with Sid Meier and gotten Simgolf 2 made.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Braking Gnus posted:

A few people have asked, but so far no responses. Surely when I do it, it'll work though, right? Elminage Gothic is on sale, but it had some issues at release. Did it get fixed up and made worth playing?

E: In the interest of bribing someone to answer, I'll mention that the 66% coupon most people got for Monster Loves You will stack with the discount already on, so you get it for 1.15.

I'd love to know too, game looks awesome and I dig the art style. However, I'm reading that characters randomly gain stats when leveling up which is kind of a dealbreaker for me. Don't have time to deal with that poo poo anymore.

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Drakes posted:

I fear they'll be chained to that engine forever. Just for the sake of modability, I can't imagine them moving to a new engine and keeping things easily modable.

You're right. Skyrim is the 7th most played game on Steam daily, and I can tell you that's not because of the quality of the vanilla game. People still make youtube videos about Mod of the Day/Week/Month/Year for Skyrim, Gamebyro isn't going away until that stops which I can't see happening. Why go through all the work of designing a new engine that's just as easily moddable when you can just wrap some more duct tape around their current one? I can't see an Elder Scrolls game or Fallout game holding me for the immense amount of hours they usually do without mods.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

If I have to choose between a new engine or good modding capabilities in a New elder scrolls / Fallout 4, I will choose modding every time. Mods are like 90% of the reason I play Bethesda games at all.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Andrast posted:

If I have to choose between a new engine or good modding capabilities in a New elder scrolls / Fallout 4, I will choose modding every time. Mods are like 90% of the reason I play Bethesda games at all.

The possibility exists though that with a new engine and a new console generation they wouldn't be shackled and create a game that needs to be fixed by modders.

Ahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :smithicide:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I don't know why you guys believe that a Bethesda game on a new engine will be good. The problem with their games was always elsewhere and with a new engine they'll have even less time to work on those other things while still figuring out how to use their new Gamebryo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't think it'll fix any of the usual issues, it'll just feel a bit different. Oblivion, Fallout 3, and New Vegas felt very similar to one another.

• Locked thread