Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Just make it not cover your butt so Harassers don't get hosed over. That's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Oh yes let's change the shield from the commonly used and universally effective full coverage standard type, to the used-once-and-never-since pile of useless garbage that is the Aegis. Especially lets make it cover only a tiny cone centered on and moving with the barrel

No tank in the game dies more than the Vanguard. The shield ain't gettin nerfed

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

A Tartan Tory posted:

The thing with the Eclipse is, the infinite ammo really is the defining feature for a lone wolf LA, that alone makes it worth it.

In fact for an LA I would rate the Eclipse higher than the Pulsar C.

Unleash the Kraken! :cthulhu:

If only ammo is your problem then your better off with a pulsar C and max ammo belt because things will kill you before you can expend all of the pulsar C's ammo. The eclipse should have been grip/comp because the solstice already has great hip fire. The starter carbines are different so why the hell did they all get the same attachments?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Bad DPM on a gun with multiple tiers of damage dropoff = bad gun

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

NihilCredo posted:

Nevertheless I'd still be happy to make the shield stronger but unidirectional. It's awfully boring how the current shield is basically a reskin of Fire Suppression - i.e. push button for medkit.

I think the solution is just ditch the shields. Give the vanguard some kind of charge up mechanic that allows it to deal more burst damage (and more DPS overall) but makes it move even slower while charging, or something. The shield is great but boring.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Fart Car '97 posted:

I think the solution is just ditch the shields. Give the vanguard some kind of charge up mechanic that allows it to deal more burst damage (and more DPS overall) but makes it move even slower while charging, or something. The shield is great but boring.

You weren't around when the Vanguard didn't have the shield

It's a heap of poo poo without the shield. It's already killed the most of all tanks in the game. More offense but no shield means you're just a lovely, slow Prowler

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Epic High Five posted:

Ah yes but it's FRZA month!

I normally avoid biolab assaults, ESPECIALLY after midnight, but the platoon wanted it and they'd done well so hey, whatever. We got the gen room in a glorious charge. The problem came after that, when everybody dug their heels in and refused to push C or the SCU.

There was still 2 platoons of the NC at Nott when we joined them. Honestly, if it weren't for the VS pushing 200+ to our warpgate every time we left the lane I never would've left the Eastern side of the map with the TR, it was just nonstop fantastic fights and they were utterly helpless against our 10+ Stealth Vanguard wolfpacks

The highlight for me was rocket primarying YoursTruly 3 times in about a minute.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Arghy posted:

Eclipse also cant reload its UBSG so your stuck with a lovely solstice until you reload at a term.

You can reload the UBSG from ammo packs. The Eclipse really is nice if you play like rear end in a top hat stealth LA hiding in a tree somewhere. It's too bad the Eclipse can't fit a suppressor though

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Away all Goats posted:

You can reload the UBSG from ammo packs. The Eclipse really is nice if you play like rear end in a top hat stealth LA hiding in a tree somewhere. It's too bad the Eclipse can't fit a suppressor though

They fixed it? also if you think about it the solstice is pretty much a poo poo SMG.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

A Tartan Tory posted:

The thing with the Eclipse is, the infinite ammo really is the defining feature for a lone wolf LA, that alone makes it worth it.

In fact for an LA I would rate the Eclipse higher than the Pulsar C.

Unleash the Kraken! :cthulhu:

The problem I run into with the Eclipse is that it doesn't excel in any one situation. It lacks the hipfire and damage to be a bullet hose, but doesn't have the accuracy and control of a marksmen weapon.

The 25 round magazine doesn't help either.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

So the Emerald VS seem to be abandoning the PPA en masse now, choosing to pull Viper Lightnings instead. It's a shame because the new PPA seems really fun and I was looking forward to going up against it, but I'm not sure that's ever going to happen at this rate

Arghy posted:

They fixed it? also if you think about it the solstice is pretty much a poo poo SMG.

This is what the normal Solstice feels like to me (I hate the 143x30 NC guns too but at least they generally have something dumb going for them like ROF) so I can't even imagine what the Eclipse must feel like.

The GODSAW is like somebody replacing one of the most fun, best guns in the game with a literal turd, is it better or worse if the stock gun was just kinda so-so?

v v v Viper Lightnings can be fun! It just involves pulling more Vanguard/repair sundy columns. They're a real crowd pleaser. Maybe "novel" would be a better word, I was looking forward to the PPA being a legitimate force on the battlefield instead of the boring farm cannon it was previously v v v

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Nov 3, 2014

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

The VS will never let you fight them in a way that is fun for you.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

It's cause the new PPA is pretty garbage. Even at medium-close range it is difficult to actually get shots to land unless you burst fire, which completely negates the increased fire rate.

'Saturate an area with splash fire' didn't work for the duster and it won't work on a weapon with an even worse firing angle.

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.

Davethulhu posted:

The highlight for me was rocket primarying YoursTruly 3 times in about a minute.

Don't forget the frag grenade!

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Away all Goats posted:

It's cause the new PPA is pretty garbage. Even at medium-close range it is difficult to actually get shots to land unless you burst fire, which completely negates the increased fire rate.

'Saturate an area with splash fire' didn't work for the duster and it won't work on a weapon with an even worse firing angle.
So it'll become more like the Canister and Marauder where the only people pulling them are the people who actually know how to use them (read: hit and run situations), which isn't a bad place to be honestly.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

No tank in the game dies more than the Vanguard. The shield ain't gettin nerfed

(I'm assuming that this statement is based on some excel statistics?)
Almost every single tank that is spawned eventually dies. I would say maybe <0.001% of all tanks are just abandoned while the driver decides to go to bed after a satisfying killstreak or something.

Saying the vanguard dies more than the others just tells me that it's being used more than the others...

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Nookovian-Red posted:

Most of Vindicator's idea are pretty hit or miss. At least his presentation style is fun to look at even if most of his ideas are really broken. I kinda like the slat defense idea.

His style is nice but his idea of giving the magrider an option for a cloaking device in a separate slot from magburn is pretty :psyduck:

Because that's what it needs, the ability to disengage at will and then reappear on your flank without warning.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Ass_Burgerer posted:

Almost every single tank that is spawned eventually dies. I would say maybe <0.001% of all tanks are just abandoned while the driver decides to go to bed after a satisfying killstreak or something.

Saying the vanguard dies more than the others just tells me that it's being used more than the others...

It's not, it's actually #2 by a sizable margin, with the Magrider being not too terribly far behind:

Titan mainguns: 2785 uniques
Prowler mainguns: 3309
Magrider mainguns: 2563

The general theme with all MBT balance is that the Prowler shits all over everything else in all respects, and to balance this out SOE nerfs the Vanguard and Magrider. It's the dark truth of MBTs - the Prowler is the uncontested king, and it's up to us to decide which of the others gets the lion's share of the scraps

The new ps2oracle site doesn't have the old lists it had for total vehicle deaths, but the pre-nerf shield Vanguard died significantly more than any other MBT at every time polled. It's a bitch in the hands of an experienced player sure, but the fact is it's the slowest, most cumbersome land vehicle in a game of inches and it's primary defense only lasts for 6 seconds out of every 45, if that.

It's my favorite tank, I love it, I wouldn't change anything about it, but it's not the invincible juggernaut that is described. The reason it wins most 1v1's isn't the shield, it's because there's zero reason to not run 2/2 AP/AP on a Vanguard whereas there's plenty of reasons to do otherwise in a Prowler or Magrider, meaning that the Vanguard (especially a maxed stealth Vanguard) stands a very good chance of being in an advantageous position without even having to lift a finger.

edit - here's a fun chart to describe the balance of MBT main guns http://ps2oraclestats.com/monthly-vehicle-deaths/

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Nov 4, 2014

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Ass_Burgerer posted:

It's not used more than the other tanks, but it dies more.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

The prowler is the best for just pulling a quick tank to farm the poo poo out of a certain spot for a few minutes, but I seem to never see a 2/2 one, while people love gunning the saron and enforcer. It's a weird thing about tank balance. It's going to be scary when they rebalance the MBT secondaries to make the prowler's less lovely and therefore something people actually want to be a gunner for.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
You never see a 2/2 one because it locks down miles out of range of anything but the Halberd and most Prowler Drivers don't really care about the Secondary because they're not going to need it.

Most of the people on Miller stick a Walker on top to shoot at Air. It works out okay.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I believe the formal way of tracking it was, "how often is this tank killed by other tank or anti-tank (AV turrets, Phalanx, secondaries, lolpods, etc) weapons"

It's sort of the inverse of main cannon performance, and it's a pretty die hard and established fact now that the Titan AP/HEAT/HE underperform compared to the Prowler/Magrider equivalents

http://ps2oraclestats.com/?stat=vKPU&weapon1=3460&weapon2=3730&weapon3=4008
http://ps2oraclestats.com/?stat=vKPU&weapon1=3700&weapon2=3400&weapon3=4000

Less kills on other vehicles means more dying to other vehicles, and even the vaunted Titan AP takes in 25% fewer vehicle kills on the whole compared to even the 2nd place Magrider FPC

Worst part is, nothing will solve this to the point that the shield can be removed. Any changes will make the Vanguard into a seriously lovely Prowler steel coffin, or a seriously lovely Magrider/Lightning steel coffin.

Higby actually said they were mulling over making the Vanguard even tougher a month or two ago. You know, like how they're going to nerf HA overshields

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Lassitude posted:

The prowler is the best for just pulling a quick tank to farm the poo poo out of a certain spot for a few minutes, but I seem to never see a 2/2 one, while people love gunning the saron and enforcer. It's a weird thing about tank balance. It's going to be scary when they rebalance the MBT secondaries to make the prowler's less lovely and therefore something people actually want to be a gunner for.

That's the thing, an AP prowler is only lovely against a double AP vanguard with shield available. Without it they're very well matched and it will come down to who gets the first shot, uses cover better, has armor/uses that armor.

You just don't see many good tank v tank prowler drivers because they're all just sitting near a piece of cover farming.

Last night YoursTruly and I killed This Guy's Prowler 3 times in a row because like most prolwer drivers he's an idiot when it comes to doing anything but sitting in the back, farming, and running away when someone shoots at him. Two of the times we killed him it was because we outmaneuvered him and got on his flank. The third time we caught him in an open field and just popped shield and burned him down while he ran for cover.

Yes, he has 56,0000 Prowler HEAT kills

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Nov 4, 2014

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection
I honestly fear the day they put the banshee on top of a prowler.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Fart Car '97 posted:

Last night YoursTruly and I killed This Guy's Prowler 3 times in a row because like most prolwer drivers he's an idiot when it comes to doing anything but sitting in the back, farming, and running away when someone shoots at him. Two of the times we killed him it was because we outmaneuvered him and got on his flank. The third time we caught him in an open field and just popped shield and burned him down while he ran for cover.

Yes, he has 56,0000 Prowler HEAT kills

That outfit name :catstare:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I got that guy too! He's always 200m back parked on a ridge. If you're running stealth, he's pretty much free extreme menace certs

How does someone get that many kills with a single weapon? Posseee probably has an Orion tattooed on his dick and even HE doesn't have that many Orion kills

v v v were you around for the HE dark times? The Prowler HEAT used to be a higher velocity Titan HE with a 2 round mag and 1 second reload. 56k could've been done in an afternoon now that I think about it, except that lolpods back then would 3 shot an MBT v v v

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Nov 4, 2014

Spunky Junior Reporter!
Jul 27, 2011

Fun Shoe
orion cant kill multiple people in one shot unfortunately

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

treizebee posted:

I honestly fear the day they put the banshee on top of a prowler.

It would be weird to have prowlers be more of a threat at close ranges like magriders with a PPA are, but I'm guessing the people pulling prowlers will still prefer to just sit back and snipe with them, where the banshee-like vulcan would be ineffective. Either way, it's not like prowlers having a good AI secondary would be anything unprecedented.

Spunky Junior Reporter!
Jul 27, 2011

Fun Shoe

Lassitude posted:

It would be weird to have prowlers be more of a threat at close ranges like magriders with a PPA are, but I'm guessing the people pulling prowlers will still prefer to just sit back and snipe with them, where the banshee-like vulcan would be ineffective.

lol

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Yes I also don't have C4 unlocked on light assault.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

The Vanguard main gun stats are going to be a little lower because of its long reload, more time for other things to steal the kill!

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Westy543 posted:

The Vanguard main gun stats are going to be a little lower because of its long reload, more time for other things to steal the kill!

Also due to the way the reload and resists work out, the Enforcer/Halberd on top will almost always get the kill as opposed to the main gun even if nobody else is shooting at the thing.

I only recently started solo-vanguarding and most of my kills when doing that are with the Enforcer.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
I got my first hate yell today thanks to the Wraith Renegade Flash and spamming the Ghostly Shriek horn.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Epic High Five posted:

I got that guy too! He's always 200m back parked on a ridge. If you're running stealth, he's pretty much free extreme menace certs

How does someone get that many kills with a single weapon? Posseee probably has an Orion tattooed on his dick and even HE doesn't have that many Orion kills

v v v were you around for the HE dark times? The Prowler HEAT used to be a higher velocity Titan HE with a 2 round mag and 1 second reload. 56k could've been done in an afternoon now that I think about it, except that lolpods back then would 3 shot an MBT v v v

They weren't dark days. :colbert:

It was perfectly balanced to be able to park an HE/HEAT prowler by a 666 Sunderer and farm 100 kills in 5 minutes. :smug:

The limit was how much ammo you could carry, eventually you do run out.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Man, I spent a good chunk of the afternoon chucking C4 beneath the archway of a tower on the ground just outside the teleporter. I felt dirtier than a sniper. It's a beautiful system, nobody would bother to warn anyone, they'd just run z different way next time.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Westy543 posted:

Humbug! Real S-Rankers use the high damage to wait until we can secure a kill from 30% health.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

So SOE may do many things wrong, but they got one thing right: I shot my Nemesis (g2a lock) at a Valkyrie that was flying parallel to me, and the rocket managed to track right through one of the side doors and out the other. I was more amazed than annoyed. I expected they'd just let it smack into nothingness.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Evilreaver posted:

Humbug! Real S-Rankers use the high damage to wait until we can secure a kill from 30% health.
Yeah just wait a second or two and then pop off and you can almost always steal the kill from your gunner in any tank. Mag gunners can sometimes swipe kills just because you aren't looking or can't look in the direction of a target, but a Prowler/Vanguard should be able to snipe 'em. The Prowler can even pop off one shot, wait, then fire the second to secure the kill. Not that the Prowler has a gunner anyway.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Standing in a spawn room with dozens of people leaving it for upwards of 5 minutes spamming I NEED REPAIRS as a MAX before someone finally repairs you is the true Planetside 2 experience. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Daynab posted:

Standing in a spawn room with dozens of people leaving it for upwards of 5 minutes spamming I NEED REPAIRS as a MAX before someone finally repairs you is the true Planetside 2 experience. :negative:

Max out self repair so you can become a true beautiful independent max who don't need no Engi

• Locked thread