Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLxUNkbZi4Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
of The Atoll of Misfit Toys

NOFX isn't punk. They once wrote a song about Jews and Judaism is religion and religion isn't punk. You must not be punk.

The CIA is the worst kind of government torture control. The CIA isn't punk, it's government, which isn't ANARCHY. You must not be punk.

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

It's the Punk rock CIA not regular CIA, you have to go to the punk rock academy before getting hired at punk rock CIA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7zFFmk80w4

EDIT: This version is much better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRvpBTNw8g0

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
of The Atoll of Misfit Toys

NinetySevenA posted:

It's the Punk rock CIA not regular CIA, you have to go to the punk rock academy before getting hired at punk rock CIA.

That sounds like school, which is a fascist institution, obviously.

By the words of the almighty three-in-one Punk-Head, Jorge Stza Allen, the only things that are punk are 40ounces, crack, and going to the mall with Avril Lavigne.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
You know what's really punk is actually being a Republican because you're going against the grain of those punk rock sheeple - An actual opinion Ben Weasel espoused to me because he's a fat dumb rear end in a top hat who went ot a cult school and got brainwashed and supported it and its program.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Moving away from dumb jokes about punk culture, does anyone here know much about the Chicago hardcore/powerviolence scene? There's a free show this Friday headlined by Weekend Nachos, who I like a lot, but I know nothing about the other bands: La Armada, Brick Assassin, Thieves and Tensions. Looks like they're all very local.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The new Bruce Lee Band album is pretty good. It sounds exactly like you'd expect a straight-up ska punk album partially written by Jeff Rosenstock to sound like. I continue to get hype for his solo album.

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

Henchman of Santa posted:

Moving away from dumb jokes about punk culture, does anyone here know much about the Chicago hardcore/powerviolence scene? There's a free show this Friday headlined by Weekend Nachos, who I like a lot, but I know nothing about the other bands: La Armada, Brick Assassin, Thieves and Tensions. Looks like they're all very local.

La Armada: https://armadahardcore.bandcamp.com/

Not really my cup of tea.

Brick Assassin: https://brickassassin.bandcamp.com/album/self-title

It's OK, nothing great.

Thieves: https://thievesil.bandcamp.com/album/darkest-regions

It's not really doing it for me. Maybe if I was in a different mood I would have a more positive opinion.

Tensions: https://tensionschicago.bandcamp.com/album/ghosts

This is the best of the lot.

In the end it looks like a free show and one of the bands you say you like quite a bit, so if you don't have anything better to do you might as well go.

The only fast band though is going to be Weekend Nachos.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Literally The Worst posted:

You know what's really punk is actually being a Republican because you're going against the grain of those punk rock sheeple - An actual opinion Ben Weasel espoused to me because he's a fat dumb rear end in a top hat who went ot a cult school and got brainwashed and supported it and its program.

You should have asked him if he punched a woman because it was punk rock.

I am sad because SNFU cancelled their Canadian tour :(

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Sorry for more Refused chat, but I've read that other members of the band hated Dennis Lyxzen for being a pretentious douche, and that this was evident on some televised performance when he got whacked in the face with a guitar and staggered offstage clutching his bloody nose while the band kept playing as if nothing happened.

Whatever. I dug em when I saw them on their reunion tour a few years ago.

kirkjames
Jul 23, 2005

NinetySevenA posted:

wait you don't like those songs, right? that's some embarrassing poo poo

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

They are pretty funny, and good.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Hobbit posted:

I know someone in this thread recommended seeing Captured By Robots not long ago so I decided to check them out tonight when they played in town. Tragically, I left during the third song but I don't blame the band. The sound guy seems to have completely checked out. The only thing coming from the speakers was dangerously loud screeching and bass drum that sounded like gun shots. No vocals, no guitar, no bassline, no drums except the kick. I, and most of the audience fled clutching our ears.

The silver lining is the show was cheap and two of the three openers were totally worth the ticket price.

Really sorry to hear that. He doesn't tour very often but hopefully you'll get another chance.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

I was so loving disappointed when The Smith Street Band pulled out of The Fest this year at the last minute. Though really, I had a snowballs chance in hell of actually seeing them since they were scheduled to start at the same time that Hot Water Music ended and it was a few blocks away in a smallish venue. My friend did score a couple t-shirts for $4 though because they were firesaleing the merch.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

El Gallinero Gros posted:

You should have asked him if he punched a woman because it was punk rock.

I am sad because SNFU cancelled their Canadian tour :(

Take a guess what his response was to that. Hint he was a colossal poo poo.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Shroomie posted:

I was so loving disappointed when The Smith Street Band pulled out of The Fest this year at the last minute. Though really, I had a snowballs chance in hell of actually seeing them since they were scheduled to start at the same time that Hot Water Music ended and it was a few blocks away in a smallish venue. My friend did score a couple t-shirts for $4 though because they were firesaleing the merch.
They'll go back to the states next year, and probably the year after that. Only a death in the family can keep them from touring and that's only international touring.

Also the new album is crazy good.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
weekend nachos sucks. not only did the lead singer wrote an article basically "how to not be a poser in extreme music" which was totally sincere.

he also tried to coin the term "scab" some cops are bastards which is essentially a cop apologist song and really wreaks of some rich white kid whose cool uncle is a cop and is totally okay and buys them beer on Fourth of July.

gross.

I really hope they try to explain that ridiculous logic on stage with la armada there which is a pretty political Latino roots hc band and really cool people.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Smash it Smash hit posted:

weekend nachos sucks. not only did the lead singer wrote an article basically "how to not be a poser in extreme music" which was totally sincere.

he also tried to coin the term "scab" some cops are bastards which is essentially a cop apologist song and really wreaks of some rich white kid whose cool uncle is a cop and is totally okay and buys them beer on Fourth of July.

gross.

does any of this have anything to do with music

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Pissed Jeans is objectively the best band because they wrote a song about Ice Cream and if you haven't ruined at least one band practice by drinking and screaming "AI-YI-YI-YI STILLGOTYOU IIIICEE CREEEEAAAAM" over and over you're not a Real Punk Kid.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

lyrics are apart of the music right? I mean it's really just a vehicle for your thoughts and feelings so, yeah.

also elitism and snobbery is a huge problem at shows which is where music is played so, yeah.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i just think it's cute when someone's like "don't listen to this band, one of them wrote an article i didn't like and i heard one of them maybe likes a cop"

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

gross.

I really hope they try to explain that ridiculous logic on stage with la armada there which is a pretty political Latino roots hc band and really cool people.

I'm pretty sure SCAB is ripping on rich white kids who have a "gently caress all cops" mentality despite the fact they never actually experience those problems. At least that's the interpretation I have when I hear "Did you experience real brutality? Or just read about it on a lyric sheet?" I'm also guessing La Armada wouldn't share a stage with them if they felt radically opposed to their message.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Cops are cool. Being white and not poor is cool.

All I listen to is this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vm6fLhtTIng

and this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qT6VMNB4oe8

I'm gay

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Henchman of Santa posted:

I'm pretty sure SCAB is ripping on rich white kids who have a "gently caress all cops" mentality despite the fact they never actually experience those problems. At least that's the interpretation I have when I hear "Did you experience real brutality? Or just read about it on a lyric sheet?" I'm also guessing La Armada wouldn't share a stage with them if they felt radically opposed to their message.

I don't interpret it that way since it specifically states "there are some good cops that will help you and save your life" basically it's shows their complete lack of understanding of the monopoly o violence cops have and they are the guard dogs and back bone of systemic oppression and abuse butttttttt oh well.

yeah I don't listen to bands when they have dumb as gently caress lyrics and basically brag about being elitist. but I suppose people that don't participate actively in DIY punk communities as much don't really care as much and that's totally fine.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
you know you can hate cops when they abuse other people right? it doesn't have to specifically happen to you.

vorbis vorbilby
Apr 9, 2001

d-beat dad
the death of a planet filled with pussies like you brings a smile to this loving face

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

cf posted:

the death of a planet filled with pussies like you brings a smile to this loving face

lol another lyrical gem by the nacho brigade

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
"hay guys don't make fun of cops some of them are cool but if you love the planet and want to conserve it you are a pussy"

gently caress bro punx

edit : 'more like weekend nachbros

Smash it Smash hit fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Nov 5, 2014

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

yeah I don't listen to bands when they have dumb as gently caress lyrics and basically brag about being elitist. but I suppose people that don't participate actively in DIY punk communities as much don't really care as much and that's totally fine.

i kinda feel like an ideal DIY punk community would encourage people to sing about whatever they want to sing about and remain open to ideas & opinions that are not their own, but like you said, diff'rent strokes

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i kinda feel like an ideal DIY punk community would encourage people to sing about whatever they want to sing about and remain open to ideas & opinions that are not their own, but like you said, diff'rent strokes

yeah but i feel like it ends when you start to marginalize other people, in this case - groups of minorities that are actively targeted by cops. Also, regardless of the subject, they arent very well written at all.

you can sing and say what you want but i have the right to hold an opinion on what you say. in this case, i carefully read the lyrics - got the idea - and think its crap. no one is advocating black balling or anything, just stating how stupid the lyrics are to me.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Makes u think

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Bape Culture posted:

Makes u think

no thinks you

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Punk thread talking about what is and isn't punk. Seems fitting.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

rear end Catchcum posted:

Punk thread talking about what is and isn't punk. Seems fitting.

yeah obviously because its a punk thread? oh no, not a civil discussion about punkkkkkkkk :[[[[[[

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

the ideal is to also let people call what other people make dumb stupid crap if they think it is

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Stravinsky posted:

the ideal is to also let people call what other people make dumb stupid crap if they think it is

true but

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i just think it's cute when someone's like "don't listen to this band, one of them wrote an article i didn't like and i heard one of them maybe likes a cop"

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Lyrics in question:

"Did you grow up on the street
Or are you just a loving punk?
Hate police because you're scared
Hate police cuz' you don't care
SOME COPS ARE BASTARDS
Some cops will judge you, beat you
and kill you
Others will help you, protect you
and save you

[Dan Polak:]
Did you ever experience real brutality
Or did you read bout it on a lyric sheet?
Do you know what you're fighting for
Or are you just loving bored?
BUST IT."

god they are so bad conceptually and just execution. seriously reads like my 6th grade language arts notebook.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

fair enough, although what I'm seeing appears to me (perhaps unfortunately) not that far below par for punk lyrics

I get hypersensitive about "I disagree with this artist's views, therefore they are bad" stuff. if you had opened with "their lyrics are poo poo" I probably wouldn't have batted an eye.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

fair enough, although what I'm seeing appears to me (perhaps unfortunately) not that far below par for punk lyrics

I get hypersensitive about "I disagree with this artist's views, therefore they are bad" stuff. if you had opened with "their lyrics are poo poo" I probably wouldn't have batted an eye.

maybe its the combination that irks me sooooo much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

in an effort to make up for my lovely derail: what is everyone's favorite stiff little fongers album? i, cannot decide.