Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

As I suspected, it's about a million times easier in this game to get overpowered since items combine. Makes the game so much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Invalid Validation posted:

As I suspected, it's about a million times easier in this game to get overpowered since items combine. Makes the game so much better.

I agree, it may have been more challenging to end up in depths 2 with nothing but a bunch of red hearts and range ups but builds like that sure were not fun.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

skull wall posted:

I'm somewhat convinced that the game starts on some kind of E-Z mode until you kill Mom the first time. On the run where I killed her I must've taken ~10 pills and only 1 of them wasn't beneficial.

I don't know, my Mom's Heart kill was even more powerful. Random is random.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

goferchan posted:

All those new zodiac sign items are no joke -- Scorpio is a million times better than The Common Cold (every shot is poison, the poison lasts a lot longer than normal poison tears do)

Has anyone gotten one that isn't just loving crazy?

Man I forgot how much I hate the Challenges. I got five of them done today. I might take a break from them for a little bit.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

First game of Isaac ever: Laser vision + laser baby follower + attack and movement speed. loving awesome until I ran into one to many bullets ever.

Second (current) game of Isaac ever: First room has the Daddy Longlegs item in it. :stare: Looks like Daddy's making pancakes tonight.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
So I found my first run ender item.

If you see a cursed eye, keep walking

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Magres posted:

Holy poo poo I just found the best bug ever. If you beat Mom in the Depths for the first time with the unicorn powerup on (I don't know if it works for the activated item or just Taurus) then it makes all of the audio for the ending play SUPER fast because the rainbow unicorn mode speeds all the audio up :allears:

This also happened to me, and I didn't realize it was connected to my invincibility from that new rage item. That's hilarious and great. They should leave it like that.

I'm having the shader effect black screen bug on my Mac which tanked my first run. I definitely would have beaten the game on my first outing if I hadn't had those technical issues. I also loaded the game on my Vita and played a bunch during downtime at work today.

I like the game a lot. It totally feels like Isaac, but I think it's just too loving dark. It's pretty drat hard to play on the Vita if you don't put your head under a blanket to kill all glare. There's also no brightness options on the Vita version, and that's really dumb because I know for a fact the Vita has had a few different screens with vastly different brightness profiles. So I'm sure there will be people for whom it is literally unplayable past floor 3.

I also tried to make the game brighter on the Mac, but the gamma option just made the screen go black since they're applying that as a shader effect.

So it's looking like I'll be maining the PS4 and Vita version since I can sync progress back and forth, and I do a lot of mobile gaming in general.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Nov 5, 2014

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The challenge you unlock when you get a Guppy run is nuts. It's called Cat Got Your Tongue, and you play as Guppy, but blindfolded, so no tears. All you have the attack is Guppy's Hairball trailing you, the flies that spawn from you occasionally, and 1-4 attack flies each room from Guppy's Head.

Edit: Oh thank goodness, your familiars do shoot, so I guess now that I have a Brimstone familiar I might have a chance.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Nov 5, 2014

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004
You know I would try to think of something funny to put here but ill just pass on that and threaten people with a + 2 board with a nail in it.

dis astranagant posted:

New boss Mega Fatty's jump usually lands before I can get my stick out of the deadzone Also found a new spacebar item called flush, but can't figure out what it actually does.

The flush turns every enemy in the room to poop I do believe from what I've seen.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

CJacobs posted:

According to edmund on a blog quite a while ago, there are other filters you can unlock and use. Has anyone found any yet?

He spoiled one in that blog post "BOOB TOOB" makes it look like you're playing on an old green CRT Monitor. I checked and it certainly works, but it counts as a challenge run where you get no achievements.

And, I just got my first Mom's Heart kill with a WAY too OP build of Azazel. But where that should have just been the end right there, I instead had the shovel. :getin: So now I have my first Satan defeat under my belt too. I had my two best buddies, the demon begger (who mixes FANTASTICALLY with Azazel), and the pet Mulligan, a poo poo-ton of damage boosts, especially because of how easy it gets to clear out the devil deals with Azazel and the demon begger, Taurus, and then two new companions from the devil rooms I haven't seen here: Dry Baby, which looks kinda mummified, and randomly pops the Necronomicon when it feels like it. And Infected Baby that looks kinda like if "Bob" was a ghost baby, and he spits out random blue flies and spiders. By the time I got to Mom, I was one-shotting a LOT of the bosses. My only regret is how many pickups I got that did not at all mix with mini-brimstone, like Monstro's Lung or Wiggle Worm. No effect on me whatsoever.

Cain and the ? are the only characters I have left to unlock.

EDIT: Oh, and as a public service announcement, the item people have been complaining about that causes you teleport if hit is The Cursed Eye. It looks like a smaller version of Mom's Pearl. Also, when you have it it basically works like Technology, where you have to charge up your shots, but you shoot a bunch of tears at once. When I grabbed it, I already had the $3 Bill, which has a LOT of new options to select from, and mixed with it perfectly, so I would charge up and shoot a random volley of oversized shots, which would be different in each room.

Also, for those complaining about shadows and eyestrain, crank the gamma all the way up to 150 in the options. It's not perfect, but you shouldn't have any more issues.

Choco1980 fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Nov 5, 2014

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

PostNouveau posted:

The challenge you unlock when you get a Guppy run is nuts. It's called Cat Got Your Tongue, and you play as Guppy, but blindfolded, so no tears. All you have the attack is Guppy's Hairball trailing you, the flies that spawn from you occasionally, and 1-4 attack flies each room from Guppy's Head.

Solar System's even harder. You're flying+blindfolded and have to kill everything with a bunch of orbiting attack flies.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Could someone please tell me the name of the item that is teleporting me into a random room every time I get hit as Eve so that I can write its name down on a piece of paper and then throw that piece of paper into a volcano?? That poo poo is beyond irritating.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Ariong posted:

Could someone please tell me the name of the item that is teleporting me into a random room every time I get hit as Eve so that I can write its name down on a piece of paper and then throw that piece of paper into a volcano?? That poo poo is beyond irritating.

I know the cursed skull trinket teleports you back a room to save you from dying occasionally, but that doesn't sound like what you're experiencing.

Pause your game and look at what items you have on the left of the screen, then try to look what each one does on http://platinumgod.co.uk/ maybe?

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Ariong posted:

Probably the cursed eye, the charge up and then rapid fire like 4 shots at once. If you're hit when charging you're likely to get teleported.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Logan 5 posted:

Probably the cursed eye, the charge up and then rapid fire like 4 shots at once. If you're hit when charging you're likely to get teleported.

That's it. Man what a pain in the rear end.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
As I said in my edited post, it's The Cursed Eye. It looks like Mom's Pearl, but slightly smaller. And it forces you to charge your shots from what I could see, but turns them into a volley of like 5 oversized tears.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
Game loving owns, and people who are complaining about the music not being as good as the original are the epitome of change fearing sperg lords. The new music is awesome, and the idea of remaking the game and keeping all the old music is stupid as gently caress. Of course they would redo the music, why in the name of god wouldn't they? The original had great music, and now so does the remake. I'm loving every single track.

Seriously people, stop fearing and hating on change and being slaves to your idea of "nostalgia" or whatever bullshit, life will be a lot more fun and varied. Try and enjoy new things and new experiences. Being afraid of change is what leads us to things like Call of Duty 12 and Assassin's Creed 8 or whatever we're at with those games now. The same poo poo rehashed over and over.

Say it with me now, new stuff is cool, change is cool, and the new music in Rebirth is cool.

Another thought -- while it's really awesome that the controller support is solid now and features actual analog movement, as a keyboard player I can't help but be a little torn. Keyboard is my preferred method of play, and it kind of sucks that the controller has a clear advantage in having fluid analog speed control, while the keyboard control method has nothing to try and achieve parity with that ability. They really should have added a run/walk toggle key. It's impossible to emulate the analog movespeed control with a keyboard, but at least with a run/walk key you could kind of have a similar ability.

I don't think I could ever play this game on anything but my keyboard, but I'm really jealous of the fine movespeed control you get with analog sticks. Not having complete parity in control schemes is a bummer. Using the controller has a clear game mechanic advantage over keyboard now.

Lastly, I'm getting a huge laugh out of all the people whining like petulant brats because the game is bugged for them. Good lord people, calm the hell down. OK, I feel for people for which the game is not working. However, getting all hyperbolic and saying "at least the lovely flash version was playable, grr I'm so mad I could kill someone" and poo poo like that is really childish. You all really need to look yourselves in the mirror and decide not to be a crazy whiny little poo poo about a video game not working. The game will be patched and fixed soon likely, just chill out, loving hell.

Damo fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Nov 5, 2014

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Ariong posted:

Cursed eye probably

Loot
Apr 3, 2013

119-242 Text Count
+59 Contribution Score
+5.9% Cold Resistance

6.7% chance of shitposting
Fires rockets instead of bullets!
gently caress Curse Eye, gently caress Curse Eye, gently caress CURSE EYE. Made my last run unplayable. I was in Utero 1, too, so this poo poo is bad.

hoping to unlock the cellar soon, or I assume that's in here? Apparently I unlocked two of the other alternative zones.

NoUU
Mar 8, 2013

Damo posted:

Anyone know what the "How to Jump" item does? I got it and accidentally got rid of it before using it, and now I hear everyone saying how fun and awesome it is and I feel like I missed out bad and really wanna know what it does now.

The one with Mario on it? It let's you jump 3-5 tiles in any direction and has no cooldown, it can be used to get over gaps but it's much better at dodging. It feels more like a dash really.

Brovstin
Nov 2, 2012

Shielded Tears+Anti-Gravity is so magical. :unsmigghh:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Damo posted:

Anyone know what the "How to Jump" item does? I got it and accidentally got rid of it before using it, and now I hear everyone saying how fun and awesome it is and I feel like I missed out bad and really wanna know what it does now.
You just press space+a direction and isaac leaps that way, really quickly. Goes over holes(and I think enemies, although I'm pretty sure shots still hit you) and there's no charge-you can use it whenever you want. Makes backtracking very quick.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
Finally started it up a few minutes ago... only to discover that it doesn't loving work on my computer, for no apparent reason. Simply nothing. I try to start the application and nothing happens; if I look in the task manager I see the process exist very briefly and then stop. :( I was particularly looking forward to playing Azazel. :(

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
The thing with the music is that in BoI it devolved in generic whoosh/groan/screech ambient music after the caves. At least in the new game the late game tracks have wildly different styles.
Depths: murmur/whoosh/groan
Womb:squigly noises
Sheol: it's like we're in the original Diablo
Cathedral: spooky pig latin hymn

I think it's good!

Tafferling fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Nov 5, 2014

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Polyphemus + toothpicks. :gonk::v::gonk:

Actually a good combination too, faster mega-shots.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, a Brimstone familiar and enough bombs can get you through the blindfolded Guppy challenge pretty easily. I imagine it's the same for that solar system challenge people were talking about, as long as it ends at Mom and the familiars can fire.

Alkydere posted:

Polyphemus + toothpicks. :gonk::v::gonk:

Actually a good combination too, faster mega-shots.

Yeah, I beat the Womb for the first time with that combo.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
So, regarding the save slots -- is there any way to rename them? Do they ever give any sort of inkling what that save slot has achieved or anything to differentiate them from on another? Because I've played for a while and slot 1 still just looks like the other slots. It's kind of weird that they don't show anything that differentiates a used save slot from an empty save lot.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
so does ipecac just not hurt you anymore or did I accidentally get something which makes me immune to my own blast explosions

I'm pretty sure it's the latter but it's wild either way

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Also: I figured out the 'theres options' pickup.

spoiling in case you wanna find out It gives you a choice between two items on the defeat of a boss but you can only pick one, you buy it from shops.

volcultsmer
Dec 18, 2004
I ated the purple berries
So I got soy milk but instead of my damage being set to min, it got set to max. I *think* that it's because I got libra but I'm not sure. Either way, the game just melted after that:

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat
On my first run I found Virgo on my Basement 1 and abused the blood donation machine with it on the next floor to unlock Cain and the Blood Bag.

I won that run later with a combo of Spirit of the Night, Mom's Eye, and Technology.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Damo posted:

I don't think I could ever play this game on anything but my keyboard, but I'm really jealous of the fine movespeed control you get with analog sticks.

So play it on a controller then if you are jealous. I did not think it would be as good after playing all of the first game and expac with keyboard. Game owns on a controller.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I like a lot of the new music but a few tracks just aren't catching on with me. The menu/title music for example is really forgettable compared to the original game's

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock

goodness posted:

So play it on a controller then if you are jealous. I did not think it would be as good after playing all of the first game and expac with keyboard. Game owns on a controller.

Well my point was that I can't really play on a controller because I like the way it plays/feels on a keyboard much better in general, even without the analog movement. Plus I have hundreds of hours of experience using the keyboard and it would be hard as hell to adapt.

Overall it's not a big deal, I'm not mad at video games or something. Even with the less move speed control you get on the keyboard, I still think playing on a keyboard is better and more precise overall and I'm happy with it. I'm just surprised they didn't make a walk/run toggle or something similar to compensate for the lack of analog sticks. Usually you don't see a game giving one specific control method a clear gameplay ability advantage, so I was just a little surprised.

Whatever, like I said, not a huge deal. Honestly I don't even really think a walk/run keyboard toggle would even be helpful anyway. So the controller gets a little bonus ability and that's fine. I was just thinking out loud about it all.

This game owns so loving hard. GOTY for me already, easily. I could play this game forever and probably will. Mad kudos to Edmund and team. I feel like this game was made specifically for me.

Damo fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Nov 5, 2014

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
anyways I just got done with my first ??? run in rebirth, where i dropped ipecac, something that made ipecac not hurt me, tammy's head, and 9-volt so tammy's head recharged like blue candle. so of course I did the boss rush

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2AOEhNNmZE

this thing is honestly my favorite part of the whole game right now. what a beautiful mess

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER
Yo a lot of people are posting about the rooms that have a big red die face in the middle of them. Seems like each number has a different effect. 1 works like a forget me now, 3 rerolls every collectible on the level, can't figure out what 4 does, and i THINK that 6 is the one that completely randomizes all the items you've gathered. They appear behind those two-key doors, although you can also get a room full of collectibles, or a horseshit room full of flies.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

CJacobs posted:

According to edmund on a blog quite a while ago, there are other filters you can unlock and use. Has anyone found any yet?
The currently known ones are here.

One that I might have found, but have no idea what it does is 1337 haxr. I don't know if I don't have the right unlocks yet or what. There's no error beep, though.

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER
drat I just picked up mom's knife and it feels a LOT different than it used to. I never really did get the hang of it before, I think I might like it better now.

RedRupee
Feb 25, 2012

I got an item in an angel room that said "Invincibility at a cost" and I don't know what it does. It has 6 ticks but they drain as you hold space and regenerate when you don't hold space. If you drain all the ticks away then it starts to drain your health. I wasn't immune to any type of damage I could find so the description is either misleading, wrong, or I'm just an idiot... I've only had 2 angel rooms so far and the first time it just had 3 soul hearts!

Also the PS Vita version isn't coming up in the store for me. Is the Australian store not getting the games on the same day?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Managed to get Mama's boy (beat womb without taking damage) before getting the ones for caves and depths lol. Such a fun feeling when you get a couple of really key items late and suddenly steamroll the game halfway through a run.