Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Soy milk + charging attack = kill yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Rirse posted:

So which crappy item is it that makes you teleport out of a room if you get hit? Could never finish regular mom because every hit threw me into a random room.

Probably Cursed Eye.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
Tammys head on azael owns

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

Tammys head on azael owns

One of the challenges gives you max damage giant polyphemus piercing boomerang shots and I got Tammy head on the second floor and wound up walking into a room, filling it with 360 degrees of piercing hot pointy boomerang death and repeating.

I literally one shot Mom's Heart and it was great.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

The Bee posted:

Anyone mind sharing how to unlock the alternative basement floor? I got Catacombs before Cellar and that just doesn't feel right.

I got Catacombs and Necropolis by beating Mega Maw and his upgraded cousin, The Gate.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
TEMS
N4BP

Does Tammy's Head on Azazel normally kill Mom's Heart in a fraction of a second? It did this run!

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

The Lord of Hats posted:

Probably Cursed Eye.

I did pick that up in the run. Probably going to skip that from now on.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.
Has anyone else encountered a key beggar? What exactly do they give you?

Also, you can't get achievements when you're using a seed, correct? Or is there some other meaning to the grail in a 'no' sign emblem when you have a seed running?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Yep, no achievements/unlocks.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Zeratanis posted:

Bob's Rotten Brain is the stupidest god drat thing ever. Oh yes, I'd love something that pops up and instantly blows me up when I'm near something. :tizzy:

I loved Bob's Rotten Brain. At least in the PS4 version, there's a delay from it spawning again and you being able to fire it. I never accidentally hurt myself by having it spawn and immediately blow up because I was firing.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
What shot type makes your tears shrink away into nothing in a very short distance? I saw it through the 3 Dollar Bill randomness and want to avoid it going forward.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
first heart kill! Didn't have anything with crazy effects but I got Money Is Power, 99 bombs, and the trinket (lucky rock?) that makes rocks always drop coins when destroyed. maxed out my money pretty quickly that way and was able to do some serious damage. By the way, the mushrooms and skulls and stuff that appear in some rooms instead of rocks aren't just palette swaps -- bombing the mushrooms seems to have a really high chance of a pill dropping, so keep that in mind if you end up with PHd. I also got a Red Mushroom item from one that gave +1 to all stats. Skulls seem to have a chance of dropping tarot cards the same way mushrooms do pills but I didn't get to bomb enough to confirm it for sure.

Also, I hadn't seen it mentioned yet, but you're limited in how many coins you can donate to the shop in a single run. not sure if it's a hard limit or randomized like slot machines blowing up is, but eventually a coin will get stuck in the slot and the machine will jam, so if you end up in a situation like me where you basically have access to infinite coins you unfortunately can't blow through all the shop upgrades at once

edit: it's been a long time since I played the original, do I have to do something special to get into Hell or will it just start appearing after the heart as I continue to complete runs?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Donation limits appear randomised. I've had it stop accepting things after a very small number of coins, on the first floor.

Hell you either get into by killing Mom's Heart enough times, or getting a devil room after killing Mom's Heart. Or "We Need to go Deeper"/I Am Error I guess.

IMJack posted:

What shot type makes your tears shrink away into nothing in a very short distance? I saw it through the 3 Dollar Bill randomness and want to avoid it going forward.

Poptosis. Looks like an eye sitting in viscera.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Picking up two worm trinkets with mom's purse makes your tears do some crazy poo poo. I had rapidly circling tears that spun in a zig-zag pattern and I couldn't hit poo poo and it was just wonderful.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

So, it turns out you can get around Azazel's range issues by picking up regular Brimstone.

In related news, Brimstone + homing tears (magician card/spoon bender) owns hard.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Anyone else tempted to just spell poo poo in the seed generator and see what comes out? I might try seeing what GOTO HELL or DICK BUTT generates.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
Alright so I killed mom (and got all the no hit achievements) because I got Ludovico on Azazel on the first floor.

Then there was this massive boss rush thing that I managed to beat but it sapped away enough of my health to be able to get to Mom's heart. I really need to learn which items will kill my run because that broken remote thing is probably the worst trinket in the game. It teleports you every time you use your active item.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
What's the donation machine do? Usually it just stops accepting my coins real quick. Does it pay out at some point?

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

What's the donation machine do? Usually it just stops accepting my coins real quick. Does it pay out at some point?

Better shops for later games. I think it expands them so they hold more items.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

TheModernAmerican posted:

Alright so I killed mom (and got all the no hit achievements) because I got Ludovico on Azazel on the first floor.

Then there was this massive boss rush thing that I managed to beat but it sapped away enough of my health to be able to get to Mom's heart. I really need to learn which items will kill my run because that broken remote thing is probably the worst trinket in the game. It teleports you every time you use your active item.

I got broken remote with the empty bottle (for storing hearts) and you can literally just teleport as much as you want. Just cheese the hell out of it and teleport until you hit the item rooms, secret rooms, shops, loot the arenas and bounce when enemies spawn, and then just keep waiting till it plops you in the boss room.

That combo was the sole reason I no-hit the first three floors in one run.

PostNouveau posted:

At certain donation levels, I think 20 or 25 for the first level, your shop upgrades and gets better items in the pool. The amount carries over to future runs and you just build off of it. It limits the amount you can donate per run so you can't just get a dollar and power level it.

A Frosty Witch fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Nov 5, 2014

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

PostNouveau posted:

I think you can bomb it to get coins out in later runs. Like 3-5 at a time.

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012
:siren:Found on reddit. Apparently will let those of us experiencing the Logitech keyboard bug play the game without it locking up:siren:

quote:

Go to C:\Users\yournamehere\Documents\My Games\Binding of Isaac Rebirth and open the options file in a text editor. Change ControllerHotplug=1 to ControllerHotplug=0

Apologies if already posted.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

TheModernAmerican posted:

That is potentially useful if you're trying to get into the I am Error room or if you run out of keys and have an item that recharges quick like the blue candle. Not something you want for every situation though.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The Bee posted:

Anyone else tempted to just spell poo poo in the seed generator and see what comes out? I might try seeing what GOTO HELL or DICK BUTT generates.

Not allowed :smith:

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Darth Windu posted:

Where does the item appear, in the level hat you are on? I can never find it.

What are those checkered flag rooms with the single spike tile in the middle? Why do some items have no effect like the lockpicks? What is the bad gas pill? What is anything. I don't understand this game and it doesn't tell you sh*t and kinda sucks.

Its a useable item like a tarot card or a pill. It drops sometimes from rooms in normal runs I've found, you cant miss it, looks like a rock that grows purple.

When you pick it up it says "Change". Its a one time use reroll of a pedastal item. Took me too long to figure that out :downs:

Found a humble bundling in a shop, hilarious.

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

The broken remote also teleports you if you try to drop it :unsmigghh:

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Wait, really? What requirements are there for seeds?

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Hilarious.

Exploding aborted fetus angels into piles of intestines? Sure.
Naughty words? :siren:

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

You can't use the letters I, O, U or V in seeds.

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER

gamingCaffeinator posted:

Has anyone else encountered a key beggar? What exactly do they give you?

Key beggars give you chests at a decent pace. I've mostly seen gold chests, some regular, and the occasional red. I'm sure they'll drop stone chests as well. If you've got a lot of extra keys they are WELL worth it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Kaethela posted:

Easily mistaken for 1, easily mistaken for zero, easily mistaken for each other. A lot of code generator systems use those rules just to cut down on general confusion.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Kaethela posted:

So we can spell words, just not with those letters.

There goes the gently caress TITS seed. And pretty much anything involving poo poo or poop, a shame since that's 99% of the game.

Does HELL BABY work?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

larchesdanrew posted:

Hilarious.

Not allowed as in "not valid seeds"

(And if you type in I or whatever it automatically replaces it with 1, so that's not the reason)

No to gently caress TITS or HELL BABY

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

goferchan posted:

first heart kill! Didn't have anything with crazy effects but I got Money Is Power, 99 bombs, and the trinket (lucky rock?) that makes rocks always drop coins when destroyed. maxed out my money pretty quickly that way and was able to do some serious damage. By the way, the mushrooms and skulls and stuff that appear in some rooms instead of rocks aren't just palette swaps -- bombing the mushrooms seems to have a really high chance of a pill dropping, so keep that in mind if you end up with PHd. I also got a Red Mushroom item from one that gave +1 to all stats. Skulls seem to have a chance of dropping tarot cards the same way mushrooms do pills but I didn't get to bomb enough to confirm it for sure.

I've had more than once skulls that get bombed turn into turrets. If there's still enemies in the room, they count towards the door opening. If not, they don't, and disappear when you go back in, like the poop flies.

And speaking of, I noticed that cupid's arrow (and maybe other armor piercing status?) doesn't pierce turret armor any more. It still works fine on knight armor though.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

larchesdanrew posted:

Hilarious.

It's not allowed because a seed requires a specific amount of letters and numbers.

edit: beat, but oh well

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Now that I think about it, "BOOB TUBE" is valid, so special seeds must be exempt from that rule.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Kaethela posted:

Now that I think about it, "BOOB TUBE" is valid, so special seeds must be exempt from that rule.

"BOOB TOOB".

Also FART SNDS remains great.

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004
Oh god drat it, I forgot that the bible kill you when fighting Satan!

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

MrL_JaKiri posted:

"BOOB TOOB".

Also FART SNDS remains great.

Close enough, whatever. It still violates the no O rule though, so my point stands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Had an interesting glitch where I used the butter bean item to push away one of the fatty enemies and the game slowed down to like half speed, probably slower. Luckily it fixed itself when I restarted the client.

Unfortunately, nothing can fix picking up the Cursed Eye. I hope they change that item around cause I think it would be pretty good if it didn't fuckin' teleport you whenever you get hit.