Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

FMguru posted:

Be cheered that Ro Khanna's explicit campaign of "I'll be a completely bought and paid for whore for whatever Facebook/Google/Apple wants to do" lost in Silicon Valley.

Elsewhere in the state, 5 term Democratic congressman Jim Costa may have lost his D+7 district to dairy farmer Johnny Tacherra by 800 votes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Well, the rest of the country may be going down in flames, but at least my district re-elected its cool Dem Congressman. :unsmith:

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
As a bike enthusiast, I'm happy that SF's measure L failed, even though I don't live there.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

mA posted:

I'm actually (pleasantly) shocked that Tuck didn't win, especially how things seemed to be trending during the last month and especially with the outside money rolling in.

I'm bummed about Chiu beating Campos in SF and Measure G going down, but it's not too surprising considering the hold that VCs and Tech has of the city these days.

I can't believe G lost so badly. If you actually read the measure, they had carved out exemptions for basically every concievable scenario where someone was actually using their property as housing and not as a quick-flip investment strategy. The only people it hurt were real estate agents getting huge fees off of yearly property turnover and the millionaires who are buying everything and immediately flipping it.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Well, the rest of the country may be going down in flames, but at least my district re-elected its cool Dem Congressman. :unsmith:

Ditto. To my relief Lofgren swept Murray 67/33, so people didn't fall for the bullshit. Our dem state assemblyman slaughtered his challenger, too.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Lest you guys get too complacent, here's a reminder that several state-wide races were in the 52-ish to 48-ish range:

Superintendent of Public Instruction
Tom Torlakson 2,266,425 52.1%
Marshall Tuck 2,084,936 47.9%

Controller
Betty T. Yee (D) 2,650,965 52.8%
Ashley Swearengin (R) 2,374,530 47.2%

Secretary of State
Alex Padilla (D) 2,647,758 52.5%
Pete Peterson (R) 2,396,986 47.5%

2% swing in turnout could've mattered in these races.

Here's the SoS map in case you need a reminder of what the terrible part of the state is:

(Click for interactive)

Family Values fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Nov 5, 2014

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS
How bad is the shift in the assembly, and what was the shift in turnout compared to 2012? I noticed my district actually went 52-48 R, even though I'm pretty sure it was solidly D previously.

cmerepaul
Nov 28, 2005
That's not chapstick!

FMguru posted:

22% in, Torkalson is up 54.1/45.9, an 8.2% gap. Looks like public schools rule, private charters drool.

Another close race is Comptroller. The Dem (Yee) is only up 50.8/49.2.

Sweet, so excited to keep the status quo of terrible schools and impossible to fire teachers.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

cmerepaul posted:

Sweet, so excited to keep the status quo of terrible schools and impossible to fire teachers.

Yeah I was hoping for union busting and paying more for schools that are just as bad but some guy gets to pocket the profits.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

cmerepaul posted:

I love my kid's public school :shrug:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The problem with teachers is that they're too employed! :argh:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Out of curiosity I checked my old district, and it looks like old Buck McKeon finally retired and didn't run this year. "Hey, maybe this is finally a chance for the dems to retake the seat from a really popular incumbent!" I think.

Not even close. And I don't just mean the Dem canidate got slaughtered: there was no dem canidate. It was between Steve Knight & Tony Strickland, two republicans.

So loving glad I got out of Castaic, dear god.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
Truly the problem with schools is that teachers can't be fired for every parental complaint.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Sydin posted:

there was no dem canidate. It was between Steve Knight & Tony Strickland, two republicans.

Top-two primary! :waycool:

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

CPColin posted:

Top-two primary! :waycool:

I acknowledge that the jungle primary is problematic, but I hold out hope that it will lead to a challenger from the left for Feinstein :pray:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

The city of Richmond utterly repudiated Chevron's $3 million+ campaign to buy the city council with a sweep by the Richmond Progressive Alliance and a win for the progressive mayoral candidate. I've been getting glossy full-color campaign trash from Chevron every day for months and drat do I feel good.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
^I love it when propaganda fails. One of my favorite election moments to this day is when Meg Whitman spent more of her personal fortune on her campaign than any candidate in history, and she lost stone cold to Ol' Jerry anyway.

Family Values posted:

I acknowledge that the jungle primary is problematic, but I hold out hope that it will lead to a challenger from the left for Feinstein :pray:

Amen. I mean it'll never happen, but a man can dream. :allears:

Sydin fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Nov 5, 2014

cmerepaul
Nov 28, 2005
That's not chapstick!

Zeitgueist posted:

Truly the problem with schools is that teachers can't be fired for every parental complaint.

Or, apparently, anything.

quote:

An average of 2.2 teachers a year are dismissed for unsatisfactory performance in a state where 275,000 teachers work, a plaintiffs' expert testified during the trial. A California teacher has a better chance of being struck by lightning than being fired for incompetence.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2014/06/16/teacher-tenure-los-angeles-vergara-editorials-debates/10640909/

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Sydin posted:

Amen. I mean it'll never happen, but a man can dream. :allears:

Yeah dreams are dreams but Senate is about as likely as the PSL successfully getting a governor elected.

cmerepaul
Nov 28, 2005
That's not chapstick!

Family Values posted:

I love my kid's public school :shrug:

That's good for you and your kids, but statewide, it is a little embarrassing ranking below Texas, Florida, Georgia, and Tennessee as the 10th worst state for education.

http://www.edweek.org/ew/qc/2014/state_report_cards.html

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

cmerepaul posted:

Oooh, we're gonna do this in the Cali thread?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

cmerepaul posted:

That's good for you and your kids, but statewide, it is a little embarrassing ranking below Texas, Florida, Georgia, and Tennessee as the 10th worst state for education.

http://www.edweek.org/ew/qc/2014/state_report_cards.html

It is, and that's not a problem that's going to be fixed by making it easier to fire teachers or throwing down more charters. Our education problem is more systemic than that.

One of the big problems is that we have a large population & an education budget that doesn't reflect that, leading to California having the 49th lowest per-pupil spending in the nation. Other issues include the huge economic disparity between regions in California, and a large body of ELS students who underperform on state testing, because it turns out when you force them to take the same test as native English speakers they don't do so hot.

edit: Also teaching really is a profession that needs some strong employment protections on it, because even the biggest conservative dingus realizes how impactful educators can be on a child's development, particularly K-8. Yes, strong protections always mean you'll have a minority who abuse the system to coast without reprimand, but weakening those protections will just lead to good educators being removed because administrators/parents/what have you don't like how they're teaching.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Nov 5, 2014

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

cmerepaul posted:

:ssh: It's actually easier to cut funding for support programs and positions, wait 2 years as grad rates crash and dropout rates hike, charterize/magnetize the whole facility and bring in some TFA burnouts! :ssh:

The problem is sometimes you end up displacing really talented, driven people and it bites you in the rear end. But not often enough for it to mean anything.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
I know at least 3 teachers who've lost their jobs (one was a bilingual harvard grad who was an amazing science teacher and worked at ~a charter~) in the last year.

But hey it turns out that's impossible I'll let them know so they can get their jobs back.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Sydin posted:

It is, and that's not a problem that's going to be fixed by making it easier to fire teachers or throwing down more charters. Our education problem is more systemic than that.

One of the big problems is that we have a large population & an education budget that doesn't reflect that, leading to California having the 49th lowest per-pupil spending in the nation. Other issues include the huge economic disparity between regions in California, and a large body of ELS students who underperform on state testing, because it turns out when you force them to take the same test as native English speakers they don't do so hot.

Yeah but what if we just fire all the teachers? I mean literally just put the kids in buildings and let them Lord of the Flies their way to success.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Papercut posted:

Yeah but what if we just fire all the teachers? I mean literally just put the kids in buildings and let them Lord of the Flies their way to success.

~*~bootstraps!~*~

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Zeitgueist posted:

I know at least 3 teachers who've lost their jobs (one was a bilingual harvard grad who was an amazing science teacher and worked at ~a charter~) in the last year.
Hey man, don't you know that you should treat schools like businesses? It's not that different from a Subway. If it isn't working just close up shop and pave it over.

I mean, it's not like education is a social good, or like we have a vested interest in promoting progressive education for future generations. It's numbers on a balance sheet beep boop blop.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Papercut posted:

gently caress. Why didn't I think of that? This is what I get for going through public institutions for K-12/Uni: I'm too dumb to come up with awesome poo poo like this.

cmerepaul
Nov 28, 2005
That's not chapstick!

Zeitgueist posted:

But hey it turns out that's impossible I'll let them know so they can get their jobs back.

Due to budget cuts, or because they were lovely teachers?

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

cmerepaul posted:

Due to budget cuts, or because they were lovely teachers?

I thought we couldn't get rid of teachers for any reason. Isn't that what you said?

'cause otherwise you might be making a disingenuous argument that we should union bust because it's hard to fire a teacher for "being not good" because it's hard to quantify teaching quality but conflating that with overall job protection, because it's not that hard at all to get rid of teachers.

cmerepaul
Nov 28, 2005
That's not chapstick!
You're right, I said anything but I meant anything performance related.

quote:

cause otherwise you might be making a disingenuous argument that we should union bust because it's hard to fire a teacher for "being not good"

I'm not arguing we should destroy the unions, I just think it's a little ridiculous how much they protect bad teachers.

Unless you're making a disingenuous argument that only 2 out of 275,000 teachers are bad at their jobs.

Sydin posted:

weakening those protections will just lead to good educators being removed because administrators/parents/what have you don't like how they're teaching.

If parents and administrators don't like how they teach, then what is the criteria you use to classify them as good teachers?

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

cmerepaul posted:

You're right, I said anything but I meant anything performance related.

I'm not arguing we should destroy the unions, I just think it's a little ridiculous how much they protect bad teachers.

Unless you're making a disingenuous argument that only 2 out of 275,000 teachers are bad at their jobs.

Unions exist to protect teachers. Saying somebody is so bad they should be fired, but not doing anything wrong enough to get fired any other grounds besides "performance" as an abstract is hard to prove, and it should be. If they are not following procedure, you can fire them. If they are hitting kids, you can fire them. If you don't like them, you can fire them. It happens all the time. Unions protect teachers because that is their job.

Teacher performance is a tough thing to quantify, because there's a lot going on. We constantly complain about how poor teachers are at schools in poverty with little funding. Because whining about teachers is easy and getting funding is hard.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Papercut posted:

The last results I saw for SF didn't look good, since it needs 2/3rds instead of just a simple majority. It's a better measure than the Berkeley version too, since the money would be guaranteed to children's nutrition and health programs. Sucks because it's going to lose with a majority "yes" vote.

The San Francisco version was actually defensible unlike Berkeley's "Berkeley vs. Big Soda" campaign that unsurprisingly will not tax the sundry unhealthy beverages that Berkeley voters are more likely to drink and will not do anything to improve the public's health anyway. This town's politics are awful.

Slobjob Zizek
Jun 20, 2004

Zeitgueist posted:

How in gently caress did such an unabashedly good prop get on the ballot and pass?

You're killing my cynicism here.

:negative:

You can keep being cynical. The Democratic machine in CA supported this measure wholeheartedly because they (1) currently control executive branch, and (2) Jerry Brown's government is going to lose it's prisons to federal receivership unless they reduce overcrowding by 2016 (this is the final extension, I think).

So, it's really about cash and federalism.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Slobjob Zizek posted:

You can keep being cynical. The Democratic machine in CA supported this measure wholeheartedly because they (1) currently control executive branch, and (2) Jerry Brown's government is going to lose it's prisons to federal receivership unless they reduce overcrowding by 2016 (this is the final extension, I think).

So, it's really about cash and federalism.

'It would've been an OK law, but the machine supported it.'

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

I can't believe the insurance-regulation prop lost. Only 40 percent in favor.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Shbobdb posted:

How the gently caress did Libby win in Oakland? I wouldn't have thought Jerry Brown's endorsement would mean much. Dude's an asshat.

Jean Quan was/is really, really unpopular.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Senf posted:

Jean Quan was/is really, really unpopular.
She ordered the OPD to go in, batons-a-flyin', to break up the peaceful Occupy Oakland encampment. So the hell with her.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
I'd heard nothing but bad things about Dellums' tenure as mayor before Quan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Willa Rogers posted:

I can't believe the insurance-regulation prop lost. Only 40 percent in favor.

What can you say? Insurance companies have a lot of money.