Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

CJacobs posted:

I get the feeling that no matter what I say, my earlier point of "it does not matter if it appears randomly, overpowered is overpowered" is just not going to be addressed.

because it's retarded. that is why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I hope things aren't nerfed at all, but I really hope that things aren't nerfed before I have a chance to try them.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

SuicideSnowman posted:

Epic Fetus/Dr. Fetus trivialized the last game. I don't really see an issue with super powerful but rare items. If it's so powerful just make it extremely rare.

Has anyone seen these in rebirth? I haven't yet and I think they will be way worse with no mouse aiming.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
You guys need to unlock more poo poo if you are getting the demon buddy enough to be a problem.

PureQuestion
Oct 15, 2014

Made some stuff. Some of it even didn't suck.
It feels like regular dr fetus/fetus in a jar does way, way less damage than before.

I haven't found epic yet.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

drunken officeparty posted:

Has anyone seen these in rebirth? I haven't yet and I think they will be way worse with no mouse aiming.

According to the platinumgod website it does exist. I haven't seen it yet though.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

PureQuestion posted:

It feels like regular dr fetus/fetus in a jar does way, way less damage than before.

I haven't found epic yet.

Yeah, I had Dr. Fetus last night one run and it definitely feels weaker. I guess it's to make up for it being able to synergize a lot better now.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
I had over 200 hours in the original and can probably count on one hand the number of times I got either Dr. or Epic fetus. I seem to get Ipecac a lot though. In fact, I got ipecac in rebirth last night and had a pretty good run with it. People seemed to hate it in the original but I actually really liked it. Just gotta be careful not to shoot things that are too close to you.

Also, it seems like there are more speed up items and the players seem to move faster in general so there isn't much of an issue of really fast enemies out running your Ipecac shots.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
Does anyone know what the astrological sign that looks like a sideways 69 does? Looked on platinumgod and the wiki and around Google and haven't been able to find anything.

I have brimstone and don't want to risk losing it.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Satorr posted:

Does anyone know what the astrological sign that looks like a sideways 69 does? Looked on platinumgod and the wiki and around Google and haven't been able to find anything.

I have brimstone and don't want to risk losing it.

Cancer - +2 soul hearts and health regeneration, according to platinumgod.

Not to be confused with the trinket Cancer, of course.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
What does Aries does? More speed? That's it?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
^^^ The horns you get can damage enemies too.

Weird, isn't that the symbol for Pisces, not Cancer?

RatHat fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Nov 6, 2014

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Protip if you pick up the Jera useable, bring it to the shop and get free pickups!

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

RatHat posted:

Pisces is the one that looks like someone took an H and bent it.

ITT we all discover that our memory of astrological signs is woefully lacking.

Personally I only remember them because I've been playing through Fire Emblem 12.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now

Zoness posted:

Cancer - +2 soul hearts and health regeneration, according to platinumgod.

Not to be confused with the trinket Cancer, of course.

Thanks. Looked it up on Youtube as well and that is definitely it.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

RatHat posted:

No, that's Cancer.

Zoness posted:

Pisces is the one that looks like someone took an H and bent it.

ITT we all discover that our memory of astrological signs is woefully lacking.

Lemme guess, Capricorn? :smug:

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

BJPaskoff posted:

I hope things aren't nerfed at all, but I really hope that things aren't nerfed before I have a chance to try them.

I hope nothing cool gets its power nerfed, but anything "overpowered" gets its rarity nerfed. The existence of overpowered runs is a good thing in my book, but they seem way too common.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110523010858/althistory/images/4/4b/Zodiac_Symbols.png

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Kurtofan posted:

No, that's Cancer.

Lemme guess, Capricorn? :smug:

Well played. :golfclap:

Capital H, of course.

Although realistically, I hate how similar Virgo and Scorpio look. Stupid medieval astrologers.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I always figured it was Pisces since it looked like two fish. Guess I learned something new.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Jaff posted:

I saw someone say that when they ran into a similar situation they were able to get the unlocks by going into the menu and watching the ending which should have played from there. Don't know if it only works in specific situations or what but probably worth a try.

Yeah, I remembered that post and checked -- only ending 1 and ending 2 were visible, same as before the run. I'm gonna hope it just counts as a loss (my win streak didn't go up) and didn't permanently lose me the associated secret. Bummer though, I got pretty lucky with that Eden run. Ludicovo Technique and Daddy Longlegs (my floor 1 pickup!!!) fucjing WRECKED that boss rush

edit: also, I spawned with Soy Milk and realized that while it's nice on the first couple floors it probably wasn't gonna scale too well later on. I can confirm that if you pick up Ludicovo Technique later it (seemingly) cancels it out completely, your big hovering tear does normal damage and isn't horribly gimped like I was afraid it would be.

goferchan fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Nov 6, 2014

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
How many unlocks come from the boss rush room? I've gotten two so far.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Skaw posted:

It's also not very good if you like leveraging spare red hearts for money or demon beggar items. I fall under that. I picked dark bum up once, for the collection completion.
With the demon beggar you can now leverage your spare blue hearts instead :ssh:

Jusupov posted:

How many unlocks come from the boss rush room? I've gotten two so far.
One per character I think.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

BJPaskoff posted:

honestly, if the devil bum were nerfed to be half as effective and only spit out a soul heart for every two heart pickups it collected, I would still not hesitate for a second to make a deal with the devil for one. You'd still be swimming in soul hearts if you played carefully. As it is it's a little absurd, and I'm not even good at the game really.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
I think i might have sequence broken and gotten ending 15 early by entering the glitch room in sheol and going down into the dark room without having the negative. Is the negative something you need to unlock or have i just been unlucky and not found it yet?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Man, it took me a flat out week to beat The Purist in WotL.

Got it on my second try in Rebirth :smug:

Pixeltendo posted:

Protip if you pick up the Jera useable, bring it to the shop and get free pickups!

Noice

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

If i enter Sheol do i still get the reward from the big chest for beating moms heart?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Soy milk question: do I remember reading correctly earlier that, not only does it neutralize any previous +DMG boosts when you pick it up, but it also prevents you from boosting your damage later on? Just want to know when to avoid it. I'd really like to get a chance to give it a spin along with a good status-effect inflicting upgrade or two, it seems like those effects could stack up pretty quickly.

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014
Hi, I'm completely new and looking to get into this. Should I get the old Isaac or play Rebirth in its current state?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Clever Spambot posted:

I think i might have sequence broken and gotten ending 15 early by entering the glitch room in sheol and going down into the dark room without having the negative. Is the negative something you need to unlock or have i just been unlucky and not found it yet?

Apparently you unlock it by beating the sheol 5 times.

I guess that's a sequence break? Can't you get to Womb before beating mom the first time via similar methods? Same goes for Sheol via Womb 2.

quote:

If i enter Sheol do i still get the reward from the big chest for beating moms heart?

Almost certain you do.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Zaggitz posted:

Yup; unless you care about your win streak, you don't lose anything from dying in Sheol.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Kubla Khan posted:

Hi, I'm completely new and looking to get into this. Should I get the old Isaac or play Rebirth in its current state?

Just get Rebirth, it's a remake of the original with more content in a better engine.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Kubla Khan posted:

Don't get old Isaac; wait a week or two for initial release bug fixes and then play Rebirth.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Kubla Khan posted:

There is no reason to play the old Isaac games. Rebirth is, for all intents and purposes, the game BoI was always supposed to be. The old games were kind of just a pet project that managed to get popular enough to warrant a real, proper game, which is what Rebirth is.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Kubla Khan posted:

Absolutely play Rebirth. Aside from the sound/music (which is pretty subjective but I prefer the original tracks and a lot of others seem to too) it's better in every way as far as I can tell.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Kubla Khan posted:

Rebirth is better in most every way unless you're one of those people who gets mad at video-game music.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

goferchan posted:

Absolutely play Rebirth. Aside from the sound/music (which is pretty subjective but I prefer the original tracks and a lot of others seem to too) it's better in every way as far as I can tell.

Is Danny Baranowsky still the guy that does music for Rebirth? I feel like the soundtrack in Rebirth is conspicuously worse aside from the basement track - is there a way to splice the old Isaac soundtrack in?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Zoness posted:

Is Danny Baranowsky still the guy that does music for Rebirth? I feel like the soundtrack in Rebirth is conspicuously worse aside from the basement track - is there a way to splice the old Isaac soundtrack in?

Mute the music in the game and play the soundtrack on your computer?

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

Oxyclean posted:

Apparently you unlock it by beating the sheol 5 times.

I guess that's a sequence break? Can't you get to Womb before beating mom the first time via similar methods? Same goes for Sheol via Womb 2.

I didn't actually know that, either way it was a super confusing thing to have happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

VDay posted:

Mute the music in the game and play the soundtrack on your computer?

But I'd have to pause the game every time i went into a room that would normally have a different track :effort:.