Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Sports Night was ownzone.

Every time I've tried a rewatch I get to the Hobo Sandwich and the earnestness is too much for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The tone of the show is unusual to say the least.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It's a little weird that Clark Gregson plays almost exactly the same character in Sports Night as he does in Agents of SHIELD.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Skwirl posted:

It's a little weird that Clark Gregson plays almost exactly the same character in Sports Night as he does in Agents of SHIELD.

Sports Night must have gotten weird after I stopped paying attention to it.

Uatu The Lurker
Sep 14, 2003

I can say no more!
Already I have over stayed my time in this ephemeral sphere!
I've never seen Clark Gregg not play the part of "Clark Gregg."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TheJoker138 posted:

Sports Night must have gotten weird after I stopped paying attention to it.

It's literally the last two episodes he appears in. And he's a slightly creepy, but oddly comforting man who is going to make everything`better. (Clark Gregg needs to be the serial killer in a slasher flick, he'd be perfect and thanks to Avengers and SHIELD most people wouldn't see it coming).

He also has the most "gently caress YOU NETWORK" line in the entire series. "If they don't know how to make money off Sports Night, the shouldn't be in the business of making money."

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I did a "sequel that will never be made" poster a while back too.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Mister J posted:

I've never seen Clark Gregg not play the part of "Clark Gregg."

The New Adventures of Old Clark Gregg

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Hat Thoughts posted:

The New Adventures of Old Clark Gregg

Is a show I'd watch.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Akira Toriyama did a special poster for Stephen Chow's Journey to the West movie.

Here's a more normal poster.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Skwirl posted:

It's literally the last two episodes he appears in. And he's a slightly creepy, but oddly comforting man who is going to make everything`better. (Clark Gregg needs to be the serial killer in a slasher flick, he'd be perfect and thanks to Avengers and SHIELD most people wouldn't see it coming).

Have you watched The Shield (not Agents of SHIELD)? He's in a couple of episodes.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

Have you watched The Shield (not Agents of SHIELD)? He's in a couple of episodes.

The LAPD show where the first episode has the main character kill a cop? Yes I've seen it, but I missed Clark Gregg's episodes.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Nov 7, 2014

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
It's a pretty minor but very memorable role. Also, it's definitely worth watching that show all the way through.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

teagone posted:

I did a "sequel that will never be made" poster a while back too.

I need this more than a new Spaceballs.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

For some reason, there are two versions each of these posters:

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
Fight for the Alliance? Fight for the Horde? Are they seriously asking for some kind interactive participation for a video game movie?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

Fight for the Alliance? Fight for the Horde? Are they seriously asking for some kind interactive participation for a video game movie?

It's Team Edward and Team Jacob for video game nerds. And seeing as it's the entire basis of the video games it's based off of I don't see what you find so shocking about it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah really they're just appealing to exactly what they know their market wants to hear; I don't know why you'd get snobby about that.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The thing I find more odd about it is that, if this is a direct adaptation of the first game, at this point there should be nothing sympathetic about the Horde at all. They're demon controlled satanist monsters who just want to murder everyone and corrupt the entire world until the third game.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

TheJoker138 posted:

The thing I find more odd about it is that, if this is a direct adaptation of the first game, at this point there should be nothing sympathetic about the Horde at all. They're demon controlled satanist monsters who just want to murder everyone and corrupt the entire world until the third game.

I never played the first one, but they were at least vaguely sympathetic in the second one. Like even 14 year old me recognized that.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

TheJoker138 posted:

They're demon controlled satanist monsters who just want to murder everyone and corrupt the entire world until the third game.

Alpha House is also a show about Republicans and it is fun to watch, so I don't see why this movie wouldn't be.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I assume he's gonna be a bit more evenhanded in his portrayal, that's the vibes the marketing and cast list give off to me anyways

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The script for the movie was originally Alliance-centric. It got rewritten to give a more balanced view of the Alliance and Horde. I know this reflects the current situation in the game lore, but I feel it's partly because they don't want everyone who starts playing WoW because of the movie to automatically go for Alliance and outnumber the Horde players.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Vincent posted:

Alpha House is also a show about Republicans and it is fun to watch, so I don't see why this movie wouldn't be.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be fun to watch, just that them portraying the Horde as anything other than horrific monsters isn't really accurate to the games. I was hoping to see straight up evil Orcs for the first movie or two and then see the dude who takes over and breaks the spell, turning them from essentially 80's Satanic panic satanists into...still kind of satanists, but much more evenheaded ones.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The character descriptions clearly point to a characterized Horde, so I imagine you'll get that.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

TheJoker138 posted:

It's a rip-off of Warhammer, right? So isn't everyone horrible?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Skwirl posted:

I never played the first one, but they were at least vaguely sympathetic in the second one. Like even 14 year old me recognized that.

I can't remember anything like that. Warcraft II had the trolls join the Horde for fear of extinction from the elves, but other than that the Horde was a straight up invading, murdering force of conquerors.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

boom boom boom posted:

On a very base level, perhaps. It's never really had the same "everyone is horrible, the world is doomed" tone that Warhammer has at times, and since Warcraft 3 the major factions have a history of regularly working together to defeat the bigger world-threatening bad guys.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
If someone doesn't become corrupted it's not Warcraft

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Hat Thoughts posted:

If someone doesn't become corrupted it's not Warcraft

Hell, it's not a Blizzard property if the major villain isn't revealed to have been a hero that got corrupted.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

boom boom boom posted:

The orcs start off as horrible, then the humans become horrible keeping the defeated orcs as slaves, and then the elves are also huge assholes just in general.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

They're simultaneously releasing two versions of Warcraft telling the same story, one from the Horde perspective and one from the Alliance perspective.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

TetsuoTW posted:

They're simultaneously releasing two versions of Warcraft telling the same story, one from the Horde perspective and one from the Alliance perspective.

Warcraft: The Disappearance of Eleanor Doomhammer.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 32 hours!

TetsuoTW posted:

Okay, but which one get the Bellsprout line as a version-exclusive?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

boom boom boom posted:

It was originally pitched as a Warhammer Fantasy Battle game, but Games Workshop said no. Blizzard then filed off the serial numbers and wrote their own plot. So it's a Warhammer rip-off only in the sense that the good guys are a human empire aided by elves and dwarfs and the bad guys are orcs, trolls and good guys who got corrupted by evil.

Meanwhile, we all get to smile at the thought of what the faces of Games Workshop senior managers must have looked like when World of Warcraft broke ten million active subscribers.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
It wouldn't surprise me if they never heard, GW is veeeery out of touch

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I was under the impression that the Warhammer/Warcraft and Starcraft/40k connection was a combination of unsubstantiated rumour, both companies drawing from the same wells of inspiration and being founded by a bunch of nerds.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Legally speaking that's what happened, but you really don't need to look far into Warhammer/40k to see aesthetics and lore choices Blizzard repurposed or flat-out stole for Warcraft/Starcraft. Plus the timelines between Warhammer/40k's rise to prominence and the average age of developers for Warcraft/Starcraft sync up perfectly, with the Blizzard devs very likely having grown up as little boys and girls playing Warhammer/40k in the 80s and early 90s.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Tabletop gaming as we know it was created when Gary Gygax shamelessly ripped off both wargaming and Lord of the Rings, only now the artillery are wizards chucking magic missiles and instead of Hobbits they have Halflings. It's all so incestuous and derivative that none of the major players really have the right to point fingers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Hahaha, they look like bobble-heads.

Look at this guy. What a prick.