Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

IronicDongz posted:

There's no achievement for beating cathedral/sheol/chest without taking damage, right?
It definitely works for your own puke bombs, at the very least. Pyromania+ipecac is possibly the best thing in the game.

There is an achievement for beating either the chest or the dark room without taking damage, but I haven't been able to get it to trigger despite doing both (in separate runs, of course).

It might be bugged, but I'm worried it's going to require players to beat Mega Satan that way for the achievement to pop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
So I got to the womb 2 on a Solar System challenge run (first try, at that!) Flies hit surprisingly hard, but I accidentally found a secret room that dropped me down a floor so I skipped Mom's Heart. I've never beaten Satan on any character so I doubt i'll kill him on a solar system - would I have won the challenge if I had beaten mom's heart? Did I just ruin this run?

Read
Dec 21, 2010

13/f/cali posted:

There is an achievement for beating either the chest or the dark room without taking damage, but I haven't been able to get it to trigger despite doing both (in separate runs, of course).

It might be bugged, but I'm worried it's going to require players to beat Mega Satan that way for the achievement to pop.

I just did the Chest one today and didn't get the achievement either, though I didn't do whats in your spoiler text so I'm guessing it is that.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Wish the sync would work on the PS4 version. Have to keep playing the Vita version since my progress is all on that system now.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Abusing the hell out of Pyromaniac + 20/20 + Shielded Tears and a ton of tears up pills got me my first Lazarus win. Had all of 4 max hearts going into the Heart but the only things that could hurt me were the laser eyes. Also had Money = Power and 80 cents, so my tears were pretty big. Really should have killed myself early on for the range up, though.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Ipecac sure is a really strong pickup now, assuming you don't wind up with the suicide king loadout.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

KingShiro posted:

That's the problem I have with Ludo that makes me not like it. Very slow using keys, but in the remix it was a bit faster using the mouse, which is missing for some reason.

Having high shot speed makes it a lot more comfortable to use. I got it on Eve a couple runs ago and the shot speed trinket made it go from slow and awkward as hell to zooming around the map terorrizing and roasting things (literally, I also had flaming tears and fear shot)

E: Ipecac has always been strong, it is just awkward as hell against enemies that like to get up in your face (HEMOGLOBIINNNSSSS :argh:). Rebirth added some really good close quarters items. Notably Gemini, who eats things alive the second they go near you.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
Sorry if this is obvious, but do the challenge paths counts towards the "number of mom/heart kills it takes to unlock the cathedral / sheol" progress?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Jesus christ suicide king is terrifying. I have never been so careful while playing this game as doing the suicide king challenge.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Oh, so THAT's what the credit card does. :stare: I knew it was amazing for the shop, but not that good.

For reference, It makes everything in a shop free. Got a free health up pill, steam sale, pill bag, bomb and soul heart on level 1 with it.
(spoiled in case someone wants to find out for themselves)

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Shielded tears are incredible. Got them as Eve and managed to beat the Dark Room for the 1st time.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Alkydere posted:

Oh, so THAT's what the credit card does. :stare: I knew it was amazing for the shop, but not that good.

For reference, It makes everything in a shop free. Got a free health up pill, steam sale, pill bag, bomb and soul heart on level 1 with it.
(spoiled in case someone wants to find out for themselves)

Seriously glad I unlocked this, waltzing into a shop and taking it all free is fantastic

I just noticed too that when you hold tab it shows not only the map and the level you are on, but the name of your lower right item changes to the flavor text to give you a better clue of what it does if you dont remember.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Cursed challenge beat first try :smuggo:

Taurus saved me so much health, half the time I'd fight through a room until it procced, bumrush every enemy in sight, then sprint out the door just before it ended and save half a heart.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Logan 5 posted:

Seriously glad I unlocked this, waltzing into a shop and taking it all free is fantastic

I just noticed too that when you hold tab it shows not only the map and the level you are on, but the name of your lower right item changes to the flavor text to give you a better clue of what it does if you dont remember.

Yeah, no kidding. I thought it would give me one item, but nope, entire shop, free.

Magres posted:

Cursed challenge beat first try :smuggo:

Taurus saved me so much health, half the time I'd fight through a room until it procced, bumrush every enemy in sight, then sprint out the door just before it ended and save half a heart.

Cursed is probably one of the best challenges in my opinion. Challenging without actually being an utter pain in the rear end like the orbitals one. And then you can break it in half. I got absurd damage with a "Free" pact (why not check every cursed room if every door is basically a curse room door) and 20/20 on floor 1 and the vampire bat item that gave me health from kills on floor 2.

Also, does anyone know where I can find info on the rune items? I don't see them on Platinum God.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

loving A, add 'explosive thoughts' to the list of things that will cause semi-random explosions to kill you.

Zombies are immune to their own explosive vomit, why can't I be immune to my explosions??

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Decided to cash in an Eden token just now. Do I get a prize for this champion loadout?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Got my first boss rush in, and it was about the most :black101: time I've had in either game. I was working on my Cain run and due to circumstances that mostly involved me saying "gently caress it", I was at one red heart going into the rush. Also, I had Ghost baby (the least important part of this combination), Brimstone, The Virus, and here's where it gets interesting, Poptosis and Whip Worm, which work magnificently together to create good sized rocket tears rapid-firing. I also ended up getting the broken watch and ball of tar, so while I had a frickin' chain-gun effect, everything was moving like molasses. And then I went and ran into a guy in utero I, killing myself.

Also, I had a weird glitch in a different run. I used a Joker card on Depths 2, no problem. I also beat mom fast enough to unlock the boss rush, only instead a devil room door opened up. I went in, and there was nothing in there but the Satan statue. Even the bonfires were out. So I went back into the mom room, and the door turned into the boss rush hole. I went back in and it was the boss rush room like normal. Very weird.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Three rolls in a row on Eden and each one gave me just two soul hearts as my starting life. Is this normal? I've done a couple in the past and had normal hearts.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The suicide king card that you unlock from the suicide king challenge kills you when you use it.

I don't know why I expected any different. :geno:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Just had a super fast run through the Dark Room as Maggy of all people. The game gave me a goat head and a nail on the first floor, and afterwards just kept throwing damage items at me. I think I killed Mom at 14 minutes in.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Thoughtless posted:

I get the feeling this has been mentioned but why on earth did they remove mouse aiming?

Tyrone said no one would ever want to play this without a controller or something like that.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

HGH posted:

Tyrone said no one would ever want to play this without a controller or something like that.

Well Tyrone is an idiot :mad:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

HGH posted:

So the keyboard bugginess is a feature than? :v:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

CJacobs posted:

The suicide king card that you unlock from the suicide king challenge kills you when you use it.

Yeah, I'm not sure what the point is. It spawns some stuff when you die so maybe it's meant for a co-op partner?

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Damnit, somebody get me a tissue.

Patch is out http://steamcommunity.com/app/250900/discussions/0/613941122666978458/

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
So Eve + 9 Lives can actually be pretty loving powerful now that her power triggers at one full heart instead of a half. However I picked up Technology and all damage I had going in that run just dropped and I couldn't kill the heart. Dammit.

Also holy hell is Curse of Darkness almost unplayable on a Vita. The game is too drat dark in some areas as it is and darkness is way too severe even in your light ring. It sucks.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

"We also fixed some minor gameplay related issues that I will not mention here in detail"

Time to see if Dark Bum Buddy still gives 1:1 soul hearts to hearts.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Alkydere posted:

"We also fixed some minor gameplay related issues that I will not mention here in detail"

Time to see if Dark Bum Buddy still gives 1:1 soul hearts to hearts.

Do people still think he's somehow OP in a game with hundreds of items and dozens of game-breakingly powerful items like Mom's Knife, Brimstone, Holy Shield, etc etc etc?

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Woah really. Guess not gonna bother to beat that challenge..

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Parasite now procs on everything you pierce if you have spectral or piercing tears, instead of only on whatever stops the shot.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

quote:

Crash during two of the later boss fights

Hell yeah, maybe I can finally kill that guy.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Oh hey the game finally remembers your screen size/position :toot:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Holy shield is really the only item I feel bad about using with how broken it is. A free hit every room is ludicrous. Getting it basically means you've won guaranteed, because you're going to save so much health that beating the heart is possible through sheer attrition. It doesn't even take up an item slot. I can't imagine ever losing after getting that item. The fact that you can get the no damage achievements with it is basically cheating.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

VDay posted:

Do people still think he's somehow OP in a game with hundreds of items and dozens of game-breakingly powerful items like Mom's Knife, Brimstone, Holy Shield, etc etc etc?

Why do people keep comparing the Dark Bum to damage boosters like Mom's Knife or Brimstone and not other soul heart generators? You know, like the Book of Revelations, which gives one soul heart per 6 charges.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

VDay posted:

I honestly don't care either way, even if he's reasonably nerfed he'll be an awesome item and there's dozens of other awesome items. I'm just wondering if the amount of comments from the community might cause the designers to nerf him. I do love his super-secret Platinum God page though.

VDay posted:

Oh hey the game finally remembers your screen size/position :toot:

Sweet.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

Holy shield is really the only item I feel bad about using with how broken it is. A free hit every room is ludicrous. Getting it basically means you've won guaranteed, because you're going to save so much health that beating the heart is possible through sheer attrition. It doesn't even take up an item slot. I can't imagine ever losing after getting that item. The fact that you can get the no damage achievements with it is basically cheating.

A reminder that there is a combo that literally clears almost every room with only a 1 second window in which to take damage.

But I mean, individual item-wise, I suppose that's pretty good.

Gnawed Leaf + any passive damage dealer is so absurd as long as you're willing to wait it out.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Nov 8, 2014

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Brother Entropy posted:

Why do people keep comparing the Dark Bum to damage boosters like Mom's Knife or Brimstone and not other soul heart generators? You know, like the Book of Revelations, which gives one soul heart per 6 charges.

also on top of that those items usually need other things to combo with them to make them really goddamn good instead of just alright and the dark bum is super amazing just by itself and only costs one heart

Dirty Deeds Done
Apr 8, 2009

OI OI OI OI OI OI
Huh managed to straight from clearing the heart first time to clearing sheol on my next run, neat.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Brother Entropy posted:

Because it's pointless? My point was that labeling one item overpowered is silly in a game that's designed to let you break it, and I think it's funny that people think getting a bunch of health is so overpowered that dark bum should/will get nerfed when stuff like the super powerful damage dealers are in the game and are fine. I wonder how many of the people calling for bum to get nerfed haven't actually gotten to the womb and beyond, because he becomes pretty useless when you're taking a heart of damage every hit and there aren't just 5-6 hearts per level that you can easily get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Holy poo poo, the Humbleing Bundle is crazy. I managed to run into greed and get quite a bit of money out of it. Then I got Life Savings. Then ran into Super Greed. :getin::20bux:

Then died to Mom. :retrogames::negative: