Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat
Welp, I go on the piss to gawp at some fireworks and now everyone is discussing the difference between a JEM and an RG or something.

IronLawnmower posted:

I assume that involves twisting the screw thingies on the bridge? How will I know I've done it and not hosed myself over?

Also a lot on the neck points but the ends of the two bottom horns broke off earlier this year.

The guy doing the video is a bag of fun but this will give you the basic idea;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucbklsRmbjM

This gives a good overview, just DON'T TOUCH THE loving TRUSS ROD UNLESS YOU HAVE A REALLY BAD FORWARD BOW. If you need to adjust it, give it a quarter turn, wait a minute, then lay something flat on the top to check, repeat until it's straight.
http://doughnutmag.com/tutorials/music-production/lower-the-action-tune-o-matic-bridge-adjustment/

Let me know how you get on!
E: If you don't want to risk marking the bridge with the screw-driver, put a bit of paper or an old t-shirt over the slot before you stick the screwdriver in.

iostream.h posted:

gently caress yes gently caress YES.

'Alternative, open lifestyle party'.
I don't even know what the gently caress but there's no way this won't be awesome.

New Years Eve gig.

WDE, I know I said no rush on the GBScaster, but if we could make say, the last week in Dec a wish, that'd be awesome. ;)

Easily do-able, literally just waiting for my friend to finish the "Cthulu rising out the toilet whilst Slenderman looks on disapprovingly" picture and it'll be good to go.

Pantomime Horse posted:

I read this thread. In bits and pieces, I read this whole thread. I regret the time I've spent here, except for whoever posted the wangcaster way back when because that was amazing and the eventual promise of a completed goontar (WDE I respect what you do).

Here's a mandolin of doubtful aesthetics:

I might end up buying a mandolin kit for myself at some point, if I do I'll let the thread know so you can help me make it pretty.

Saying that, I should be able to start the true goontar soon.....

Barnaby Rudge fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Nov 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W424
Oct 21, 2010
Blackened hardcore is a good core.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HhuCyd3nqA

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

White Dog Eggs posted:

I might end up buying a mandolin kit for myself at some point, if I do I'll let the thread know so you can help me make it pretty.

Do what I did and get mad hipster cred by cutting your pick guard out of an old serving tray.

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:
on a facebook group for lefthanded guitarists, some guy has just very proudly posted his Jem's new trem

so dear thread, is this an improvement y/n

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Fair Hallion posted:

on a facebook group for lefthanded guitarists, some guy has just very proudly posted his Jem's new trem

Looks like a serving tray. That unused floyd-rose routing could be filled with dip.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
My guitar has a pretty boss pattern on it. It's actually dried blood where the string snapped and sliced two of my fingers.

I find blood gives the guitar that special terroir that you can't get from non bled upon instruments.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

unused monkey grip could be filled with my diiiiiick :gizz:

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

Fair Hallion posted:

that looks like loving poo poo with those gold vines like that

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
What's going on with those frets?

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

Tsaedje posted:

I didn't notice that at first, but I think those four or so frets are scalloped.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

Tsaedje posted:

Jems scallop from fret 15 or something. I thought it was 12 but I dunno i guess.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
21-24 are scalloped and i like the vine pattern on it

Grumbler
Dec 20, 2013

Ibanez RG

JEM

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

I had a warlock that had stickers all over it. my favorite was jessica rabbit

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
holy crap i didn't realise this was the goontar thread, the new title was keeping me the hell away

anyway just stopping by to say that tom waits is overrated garbage k bye

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

El Estrago Bonito posted:

The best part about this photo is that it's responsible for getting Joe Perry back his guitar that he pawned for drug money. Perry pawned the guitar when he was super on the rocks and broke and it passed between a lot of owners and he lost track of it, then when he got less spun out and Aerosmith was popular again he tried in vain for years to figure out what had happened to the guitar. Then after a while his buddy picked up a magazine and saw that photo which apparently has the guitar in it. He tried to convince Slash to let him buy it back but he wouldn't sell it to him and Perry thought he was being a dick but then it turned out he just wanted to give it to him for his birthday.

that's pretty :3:

slash seems like an alright guy. apparently when he was in guns n roses he used their tours as an excuse to go to famous museums to look at dinosaur exhibits all day

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

gently caress, I was going to post the same thing. Amazing.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
haha totally forgot vai actually gave him that jem and signed it

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
As someone mentioned Toxic Holocaust, I'd like to take a moment to say Joel Grind is an absolute arrogant bellend in person.

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

NonzeroCircle posted:

As someone mentioned Toxic Holocaust, I'd like to take a moment to say Joel Grind is an absolute arrogant bellend in person.

You can't just say that and not tell us the whole story dude.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Maybe he was having a bad day, maybe he was high, who knows, but I saw them twice (first time supporting Municipal Waste, second was with Skeletonwitch, both shows at The White Rabbit in Plymouth) and after the first show he was at the bar;

"Hey that was a good set, I enjoyed it"
"Whatever" -walks away-

Second time was a couple years later, he was stood by the merch stand, not really doing much.

"Hi, looking forward to your set, saw you last time you were here and it was great"
"Whatever. I'm going backstage."
-whilst walking away from me-

I was gonna get a CD but as he walked off before I even got chance to do that I decided gently caress it, he ain't getting the money.

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

White Dog Eggs posted:

Looks like a serving tray. That unused floyd-rose routing could be filled with dip.

holy poo poo guys you are not going to believe this for a coincidence - for real - I was in a second-hand shop earlier today, and I found a Jem.

And it coincidentally didn't have a Floyd Rose either, just a standard sorta strat trem, like that white one above.

BRB gonna go get the pic off my phone

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

should I have bought it ?? :ohdear:

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
I'll admit, I'm impressed by how much detail went into that toy looking accurate (aside from the tuner plate thing).

IronLawnmower
Aug 28, 2014

Fair Hallion posted:

Yes.

NonzeroCircle posted:

Really? I know someone who met him and he was a cool dude. Even got a photo with him.

W424 posted:

Blackened hardcore is a good core.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HhuCyd3nqA

Blackened x is a good x.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPql1YNO_FM

OT:Am I alone in finding telecasters kinda ugly? They look kinda shapeless and blobby.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Fair Hallion posted:

It's even streamlined! Pickup switches are for indecisive people, and that's just not metal.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Fair Hallion posted:

way better than an rg. i'd pay $3k.

Skipopatomus
Aug 30, 2007

Ozzy Osbourne simply duplicated the event.

I hope Faustus surprises us with a real jem with this paint job as his next purchase

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Fair Hallion posted:

Why is there a chunk missing from the rear end?

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Fair Hallion posted:

Yes x 1,000,000. A true JEM.

Sire Oblivion posted:

Tone chamber/ashtray.

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

umalt posted:

I'll admit, I'm impressed by how much detail went into that toy looking accurate (aside from the tuner plate thing).

it actually had real guitar strings on it too, metal wound strings. And small turnable tuners.

I didn't investigate it's workings much beyond that, it was seriously manky

e- yeah the trem is actually really detailed, but it was just all one molded plastic piece

Fair Hallion fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Nov 8, 2014

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

unlawfulsoup posted:

Tone chamber/ashtray.

Make sense, how much better does it sound with it? I'm thinking 10x.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Fair Hallion posted:

ooh that would go well with my new Miley wallpaper

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Sire Oblivion posted:

It's to allow a Floyd Rose style trem room to be pulled back even farther than normal.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Sire Oblivion posted:

Make sense, how much better does it sound with it? I'm thinking 10x.

Tone is hard to quantify is traditional simplistic mathematical terms. Think a decaClapton of extra tone.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
gently caress tone. It means nothing if you don't loop your cable through the strap to avoid situations like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZW44f5JYtnU

IronLawnmower
Aug 28, 2014
IronLawnmower's guide to achieving maximum toan:

Your guitar MUST be build from 90000 year old maple be held together with only the finest Gibson® ToneGlue™. Pickups handwound in England by Tony Iommi held at gunpoint by the ghost of BB King and with a chunk of bone taken from the body of Jimi Hendrix as the cover. The neck is of course made from wood of the coffin of Hendrix. Strings can only be Ernie Ball any other brand is Tonewa and forbidden. Infuse the paint with blood from Eric Clapton and SRV and cut a handle into it to allow for more tone as needed.

Edit:
I just found this loving thing

If EVA02 was a guitar.

IronLawnmower fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Nov 9, 2014

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.

Fair Hallion posted:

not gunna lie, if it's possible to get just the bit of plastic covering the tuning pegs i kinda want that on my guitar because getting my hair caught in them is not an uncommon occurrence when playing gigs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass

IronLawnmower posted:

I just found this loving thing

If EVA02 was a guitar.

• Locked thread