Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

What does the little red pentagram underneath your bomb/key/coin counter mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Slime posted:

Honestly I find a lot of bosses just have a ton of health when you consider where you fight them. They're not hard, they're just kinda tedious to fight without damage upgrades.

I absolutely hate fighting Womb+ bosses without damage upgrades. It's just a total slog that boils down to 'can you avoid chip damage long enough to lay down on the tears button for five minutes.'

LibbyM posted:

Mean's you're playing on Hard.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

LibbyM posted:

Hard mode maybe?

Man confusion is really great to stop the enemy from attacking!..... until their attack just immediately starts without an attack animation the moment confusion wears off

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
Time for more intentionally painful DLC ideas!

Welcome to the Interval Of Nonexistence! Like the Boss Rush (and the Super Boss Rush, a extended version of the Boss Rush that gives you a choice of six items if you kill Mom's Heart in under twenty five minutes), this is not a regular stage so much as it is a bonus alternate mode accessed within a regular run, a survival mode. Unlike the Boss Rush, it is the end of your run. Nothing comes after the Interval Of Nonexistence.

The Interval Of Nonexistence is reached through a portal after the Mega Satan fight. For the portal to appear at all, you must already have a Mega Satan kill as the same character. The aesthetic of the ION is based on the I Am Error rooms, but with additional features akin to those of other floors - there are destructible rocks, indestructible rocks, pits, and doors, all of which fit into the I Am Error aesthetic - the pits have binary code floating under them like something out of the Matrix, while the rocks are glitchy combinations of the earlier floors' rocks akin to the Undefined item.

The first room in ION is a pretty standard I Am Error room, albeit with four doors as well as the trap door, which lets you stock up on items before entering ION proper. The room also contains a message: "No Turning Back Or Pausing". Once you exit this first room, the ION timer starts, which is tied to a large variety of achievements. ION always has a unique curse, the "Curse Of The Sublime", which grants a variety of unique qualities:
1. Attempting to pause quits to the main menu and ends the run.
2. There is no map, and it would be pointless anyway. The only room that exists is whatever room you're currently in; it's erased when you exit it and if you return to what logically should be the same room, it will be replaced with a random different room.
3. There is no such thing as clearing a room. Enemies respawn, and the doors open and close at random. The only hard fast rule on when doors open or close is that doors always close immediately after you walk through them. Every room has the maximum number of doors (4 for a normal room, 6 or 8 for a large room) as well as a trapdoor; the trapdoor is functionally similar to the other doors, teleporting you to another random ION room if you step on it while it's open.
4. The longer you spend in an easier room, the more difficult it becomes, motivating you to scramble from room to room as fast as possible. If this goes on long enough, a unique, indestructible enemy spawns, the One, a living form of the I Am Error room guy. His purpose is akin to the Spelunky ghost; to chase you out of the room.
5. Enemies and bosses from throughout the game spawn semirandomly without warning in one of three states: regular, champion, or glitch champion.
6. Any door or trapdoor may be a curse door; don't worry, they do look distinctly different from the regular doors. They open more frequently, too, making them occasionally tempting to use. Curse doors in the ION are two-way; flying won't save you from taking damage on them.
7. The random number generator is manipulated to torture you. For example, there are some room layouts that have an additional effect on them wherein all doors are open until you get close to them, at which point they close if they would normally be closed, forcing you to constantly rush between the doors to check whether they're actually open. Some room layouts only have cursed doors (this is not forcing the player to take damage, as they already chose to take damage by entering a cursed door in the first place; it's just forcing them to take damage again). Sometimes, the doors simply will not open for quite some time, forcing you to fight harder enemies until the One spawns.
8. ION Boss Rooms are the only end rooms; they are the only rooms that are not surrounded in entrances and exits. As would be expected, they are attained strictly randomly; if you see an ION Boss Door, you have an opportunity to fight one. Well, kind of. There are six ION bosses, and two of them are not conventional bosses in any sense. You may freely ignore ION Boss Doors and continue with your regular survival run. Which ION boss you'll encounter through an ION Boss Door is random, but you may not encounter the same one multiple times on the same run.

The six ION bosses are:
1. Random Number Jesus. Random Number Jesus is not a boss, he's a powerup and a break. When the fight starts, he immediately dies with an animation similar to Best Friend whether you attack him or not. You are given full health, spirit hearts up to the cap (which replace any black hearts you might have), an achievement if this is your first RNJ encounter as that character, and a trapdoor leading back to regular ION. You have a minute to enter the trapdoor before enemies start spawning like a regular ION room. The ION Boss Door you entered through will not reopen.
2/3. Nega-Jesus/Random Number Anti-Christ. Slight variations on the same boss fight, which is an actual regular fun boss fight. They appear to be glitchy pallete swaps of Random Number Jesus. Defeating them drops a devil room item, a trapdoor (which functions as RNJ's does), an achievement if this is your first NJ/RNAC kill as that character, and turns you into The Lost, but this is just to scare you (and motivate you to move on once you know how it works); you turn back into whoever you were before when you move onto the next room.
4/5. Holy Ghost/Holy Spirit. The Holy Ghost and the Holy Spirit are not bosses, they are torture methods. They have a random (but high) health and no health bar, and they and their attacks are invisible, though you can tell where they are by where your shots land provided you don't have piercing tears. The Holy Ghost is akin to the Haunt, while the Holy Spirit is like a giant form of the angel fetuses that spawns smaller, also-invisible angel fetuses. Defeating them drops an angel room item, a trapdoor (which functions as RNJ's does), and an achievement if this is your first HG/HS kill as that character. This is not nearly enough. Might as well be an "end run in death" sign when you see it come up. And speaking of that-
6. Random Number God. Random Number God is not a boss, at all, he's a finish line. He has no form onscreen to attack, and is immune to Necronomicon-style damage. He immediately sends down an undodgeable white beam from heaven that depletes all of your health in a fraction of a second. If this is your first time facing him as the current character, you receive an achievement: "Get smited as [name]." There's a special ending/achievement, Godfearing, obtained by facing RNG without any items. The Iconoclasm item I mentioned in an earlier post, which erases all items you possess, seriously helps out with this.

Other ION achievements include one for facing all ION bosses in one run (which requires a lot of luck), as well as a variety of achievements simply for surviving ION for a long time. The hardest achievement in the game, Diamond Stop Playing, is obtained for a 168-hour ION run and is designed to torture achievement hunters without friends as well as constant streamers like Cobalt.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

If you want an easy Eve:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
When you load a seed what does the hourglass icon mean? Does it only discount the speedrun items? Can you earn other achievements for the clear on that seed?

Sorry if it's been asked but I swear checked the OP v:shobon:v.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
PSA: If you want to do ??? runs, do yourself a favor and unlock Abaddon. You get it by beating the Chest with Azazel, and its Evil Up + Damage + Fear Shot, with the drawback being one range and shot speed down. It appears in the Devil Deal rooms, and will cost you 3 soul hearts, but the important bit is that it gives you 6 sin hearts!

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Zoness posted:

When you load a seed what does the hourglass icon mean? Does it only discount the speedrun items? Can you earn other achievements for the clear on that seed?

Sorry if it's been asked but I swear checked the OP v:shobon:v.

Are you sure it's not a trophy with a cross out? I would have to assume seeds are subject to the 'no achievement' rules that challenges are.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
If you're gonna exploit, exploit big.

:toot:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

RoboCicero posted:

Beat "Cat Got Your Tongue" completely on the back of an early Joker card getting me Lil' Brimstone as a buddy. Letter of the law, spirit of the law!

Also gently caress the Cellar. An entire level full of enemies that have high HP relative to the amount of damage upgrades you have (none), or rush you very fast relative to the speed upgrades you have (also none), or are spawners? Or heck, combine all three and fight The Haunt as a floor one boss. Sign me up!!!

LaughMyselfTo posted:

Time for more intentionally painful DLC ideas!

Yo gently caress not being able to pause. I like your ideas, but seriously not being able to pause in a situation where there is never any breathing room is no bueno.

Jibo posted:

Did you get Godhead? I'm wondering if the unlock for that is actually Mind+Body+Soul or not

Magres fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Nov 10, 2014

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think Cat Got Your Tongue is a decent challenge, working out how to use the hairball effectively is interesting (I find it way easier with a controller so you can kindof spiral around everywhere). It gets really painful once you get to depths, but you should have a familiar by then anyway.

Also Bob's Brain pretty much carried me through Family Man, it's a good item.

Skaw posted:

Greed heads being hyper aggressive now is the worst. If you don't have jump, flight, ladder, or a poo poo ton of damage, it's so drat hard to not get hit by them on the wonderful narrow path layouts in depths.
They were always like that I'm pretty sure, I remember them doing exactly the same in the original.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

gamingCaffeinator posted:

Is it just a full heart when you're playing as Eve? I picked it up on Isaac during a run and it only triggered at half a heart on him.

I noticed the same thing on a Samson run. I agree that it might only trigger on a full heart for Eve.

Although, speaking of Samson, if you get the holy mantle, do the blocked hits increased Samson's Bloody Lust damage boost? I got that on a recent run, but I also had Brimstone and some other damage upgrades, so it was hard to tell.

Also I love how Tammy's Head has gone from being one of the most mediocre items to one of the best with the rebirth changes.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Jibo posted:

So what is this exploit? Sorry if it was brought up a few pages ago.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

So what is this exploit? Sorry if it was brought up a few pages ago.

9 Lives on Lost makes you immortal, or at least that's the one I've heard about a bunch

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Magres posted:

Yo gently caress not being able to pause. I like your ideas, but seriously not being able to pause in a situation where there is never any breathing room is no bueno.

The inability to pause is for the express purpose of keeping there from being any breathing room. :toot: I guess pausing/returning might be acceptable, but I'm worried it would tempt more people to try for the insane, absurd survival achievements, which would bring frustration to more people than I intend. :ohdear:

...I guess spreading the frustration around a bit isn't a bad thing.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Well, thanks to a lot of incredibly good luck and last-second Wafer and Triple Shot pickups, I managed to score my first final boss kill. You have to be overpowered as gently caress to even think about that guy, holy poo poo.

I wasn't able to see my health, so I panic popped my Full Health pill at one point in the hopes that, if I was low, I could beat him within 4 hits. I think I got hit 4 times just on that last bit of the fight, so I was doing better than I thought.

And then you don't even get anything for it! :mad:

Still don't have a Lamb kill on that save, either. I could've done it. Eden was so powerful at that point that I could've killed anything the game threw at me. What a fight!

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Irony Be My Shield posted:

They were always like that I'm pretty sure, I remember them doing exactly the same in the original.

I'm just insanely happy that the Greed head's and the flies from corny poop got HP nerfs. It was absolutely absurd how much punishment they used to be able to take.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Magres posted:

Mean's you're playing on Hard.

Oh I accidentally set it to hard. That didn't seem much harder than the normal game though, weird.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Magres posted:

Did you get Godhead? I'm wondering if the unlock for that is actually Mind+Body+Soul or not

Nope. I didn't beat Mega Satan though because gently caress getting Mega Satan on Hard but I kinda doubt that's involved.

Magres posted:

9 Lives on Lost makes you immortal, or at least that's the one I've heard about a bunch

Yup. Just keep restarting until you start the game with a curse room with Dead Cat in it. Easy peasy.

Runcible Spoon
Sep 20, 2012
I'd like to say right now that if you haven't already, go to an extra-large room in the levels and just pause to listen to the "big group of enemies" added music backing. I love the original game's music, but having this game add in variable mixes is just divine. I didn't notice until an XL Cellar just now and holy poo poo, that electric guitar. :rock:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

LibbyM posted:

Oh I accidentally set it to hard. That didn't seem much harder than the normal game though, weird.

Hard mode just adds more champ enemies, no heart drops from bosses and very, very few drops from rooms.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Alteisen posted:

Hard mode just adds more champ enemies, no heart drops from bosses and very, very few drops from rooms.

After spending a fair amount of time in it now, I think it's a little more strict on Devil rooms. On normal you get hit once in the level and/or once during a boss and you still have a shot at maybe getting a Devil room but not in Hard.

MessiahForHire
Oct 15, 2012
Just had an incredible run as Eve (finally) where I got Lost Contact in the first Treasure Room, Transcendence in the first Secret Room, and then on the second floor in this middle of a bunch of blocks was The Ludovico Technique. Then I was lucky enough to also get Li'l Brimstone at some point which made rooms with fast enemies much easier to deal with. Poor Isaac could barely do anything against me because his shots all got blocked forever. ZMOX FAKV is the code for that run.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

LaughMyselfTo posted:

The inability to pause is for the express purpose of keeping there from being any breathing room. :toot: I guess pausing/returning might be acceptable, but I'm worried it would tempt more people to try for the insane, absurd survival achievements, which would bring frustration to more people than I intend. :ohdear:

...I guess spreading the frustration around a bit isn't a bad thing.

Part of it is that I loving hate it when games try to put me in a situation where I can choose to either go deal with a pressing need in real life or be punished in game for it. (Hilariously, the fact that you can't pause in Dark Souls doesn't bother me because who gives a poo poo about dying in Dark Souls.)

a bloody icon
Apr 22, 2012

Tracula posted:

Got a run going as Blue Baby and I found the Wafer AND The Relic. Then I picked up Tiny Planet :suicide:.

I thought I wrecked a good Cain run when I accidentally picked up Tiny Planet, but then I picked up Lump of Coal and a bunch of tears ups and the rest of the game was hilarious.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists

Rashomon posted:

So, apparently seeds work to unlock The Lost, can anyone confirm? And does anyone have a seed with an early Mulliboom? I'm getting sick of restarting.

Anyone? Do Mullibooms even spawn in Basement/Cellar I?

e: or, putting it another way, how am I supposed to find a Mulliboom to kill myself on?

Rashomon fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Nov 10, 2014

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Magres posted:

Part of it is that I loving hate it when games try to put me in a situation where I can choose to either go deal with a pressing need in real life or be punished in game for it. (Hilariously, the fact that you can't pause in Dark Souls doesn't bother me because who gives a poo poo about dying in Dark Souls.)

dark souls is also really good at letting you find places to chill. you take on things at your own pace more or less.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Doing some challenges and I have to say the Cursed challenge is my favorite so far. I kinda wish it were its own gameplay mode (just so I can pick other characters, y'know) where I get to play with increased heart drops and a little more health at the start. I'm fine if I don't get to use trinkets unless I want to give up some extra health pick-ups for that too.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I was fighting Mom's Heart last night and had it down to about 10% health, but I got hit, which took me down to one heart and teleported me out of the room. I didn't have any pills or cards, and my spacebar item was Book of Belial. Any idea what caused that so I can never pick it up again?

I also just finished my most confident run to date. Had the Mitre, the Wafer, Infamy and Dark Bum. Picked up The Bible in the depths to seal the deal.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Lester Shy posted:

I was fighting Mom's Heart last night and had it down to about 10% health, but I got hit, which took me down to one heart and teleported me out of the room. I didn't have any pills or cards, and my spacebar item was Book of Belial. Any idea what caused that so I can never pick it up again?

I also just finished my most confident run to date. Had the Mitre, the Wafer, Infamy and Dark Bum. Picked up The Bible in the depths to seal the deal.

Cursed Skull, probably. It's a trinket.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

dark souls is also really good at letting you find places to chill. you take on things at your own pace more or less.

Yeah, very true. Dark Souls' pacing is fantastic.

Also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecZmpEsiYZg

CursedTears.avi

His transition from being flabbergasted to vocally angry to just silent fury is amazing, and Cursed Tears are officially my new favorite item.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
I just killed the Lamb with ???, and I had two sin hearts left at the end. I started the Dark Room with 12.

I am a nervous wreck right now, jeez.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I dunno, it really felt like they shot at you way more often in wrath of the lamb, and jumping towards you was more happenstance rather than aggressive AI.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

a bloody icon posted:

I thought I wrecked a good Cain run when I accidentally picked up Tiny Planet, but then I picked up Lump of Coal and a bunch of tears ups and the rest of the game was hilarious.

A lot of the new shot modifiers are...situational. Tiny planet + coal is great, but unreliable because your shots don't necessarily go where you want. Anti-grav tears are just annoying to use unless you have shielded tears. Guess who picked up both in one run! It was me. I guess soy milk can be good if you have shots that can apply a status effect? But most of the time it loving sucks.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
Second encounter with Mega Satan, managed to take him down this time with a ridiculously overpowered Maggie. Forgot to write down the seed, unfortunately, but basically it was 5 damage ups, +2 all stats, Mulligan, Hive Mind, Lord of the flies, Penetrative shots kind of ridiculous. Oh, and Krampus' head for good measure.

On a different note, does anyone have an idea what Hard runs actually unlock? Thinking of doing complete runs on the rest of my characters and I'm mainly playing on Hard anyway, but if the unlocks are nothing to write home about I might as well do it the easy way first.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Magres posted:

CursedTears.avi

Yep, that's it. Pretty much my exact reaction too. Now I need to memorize all of the items that look like little white circles so I can avoid that in the future.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Jibo posted:

So how did you go about making sure dead cat would pop? I figured go into curse room and reset a bunch but after about 20 minutes I grew tired of it.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

How do you unlock parasite? All my friends have it and I'm further then they are. I don't even know how I got it in the original game.

Edit: The tick trinket also makes The Lost unkillable apparently.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

flyboi posted:

So how did you go about making sure dead cat would pop? I figured go into curse room and reset a bunch but after about 20 minutes I grew tired of it.

This is what I did and it didn't take me that long at all. I had an easier time of it then getting the Mullibooms for the Isaac death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Giving a shout out to some of the less intuitive combinations out there.

Ipecac is sometimes meh and a runkiller for the careless. Combined with Infested Shot however?

I supplemented this combo with Guppy's Head and now I'm a whirling, self sustaining death machine or spiders and flies.

PS. I'm standing on about half of my spiders.