Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I feel like it's basically always worth it pre-womb, to be honest. I never pass up curse rooms, you've got a pretty drat good chance of if not getting a devil item/getting tele'd to the devil room, just straight-up gaining health from spirit/sin hearts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
Sacrifice rooms are great if you have extra hearts lying around after a boss, or want to get into a <currenthp challenge room. Or as a last ditch effort to get keys/bombs/coins. Or to activate on-damage items. Or Eve's curse. Et cetera. A big part of BoI is learning to exploit every single opportunity the game throws at you, no matter how small or suspect, and I suspect this is what's holding a lot of people back in terms of beating the game. One single coin, for example, may seem like an insignificant drop in a sea of godlike powerups and not worth wasting your other consumables on, but it's absolutely worth getting if you're about to leave with 14 coins and there's a ludovico sitting in the shop.

Nastyman fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Nov 11, 2014

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Tracula posted:

That ending you get for beating The Dark is so strangely :smith: and reverses the entire tone of the game basically.

Eh, not really. A major thing is that Isaac is at least as crazy as his mom, and the whole knife murder thing might all be in his head.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Man Megasatan is a really really awesomely designed fight. I find it a bit sad there's no real cheevos to be gained from it. Nothing in it is cheap or can autohit you no matter what you do. I'm looking at you here loki/lokii. Just really stellar.

e: Also just finished the last of the challenges. It's kind of funny but the lack of item rooms is much less of a hindrance than it was in the original. Purist was way way easier than it was back in the day. I'd say overall solar system was the most difficult challenge to do. I hated those flies so much.

Nurge fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Nov 11, 2014

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

I'm usually in the pro-Bob's Brain camp -- it does great damage, especially to bosses, and even as Azazel I've never really killed myself with it -- but man, do not pick it up with Dr. Fetus. :negative: The explosion WILL bounce your bombs directly into your face, and they WILL explode on you, every single time.

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008
What the...I just beat Isaac on hard mode with Samson and didn't unlock anything. What was I supposed to get?

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs

Ghost Head posted:

What the...I just beat Isaac on hard mode with Samson and didn't unlock anything. What was I supposed to get?

Samson is unlocked by not losing any health for two consecutive levels, although I'm fairly certain it's bugged. I went through all of the Basement without taking damage or doing anything that reduced my health in any way (Devil rooms, pills), got Basement Boy AND strolled through the third floor also without taking damage and I still didn't get him.

e: wow I massively misread your post but my point still stands. Samson is bugged to gently caress.

RedRupee
Feb 25, 2012

Oh my goodness I just had an intense run. I was Azazel but I didn't get any DMG ups the entire run. I managed to get down to the lamb and slowly killed him without taking a hit... it was hard mode as well just because why not?

I also finally did Suicide King. It took 3 tries I think. In my winning run I had such high shot speed that the Ipecacs just flew into enemies which saved a lot of heartache. I even did the boss rush because I wanted 20/20 for the damage.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Ghost Head posted:

The only hard-mode-exclusive unlocks are the ones from Mom's Heart kills. The others are just for show. If it was your first run through to Isaac as Samson, however, you WERE supposed to get something, though I can't remember what.

So as not to double-post, I finally did it. I finally beat all the challenges. Now I can rest safely in my knowledge that I never have to do anything as bullshit as Suicide King again.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I just did a fun Cain run. My very first treasure was Cain's Other Eye, which sucks but felt appropriate. I eventually ended up with a Monstro's Lung build spewing toxic aura enemy freezing coal balls. Also, Cancer synergizes with Monstro's Lung, cutting the charge time in half or so.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Just got this yesterday, the Luddite's Tear power up where you remotely control a single tear was awesome and I tore poo poo up for a while with it while hiding in the corner.

It doesn't feel hugely different to the first game yet but more of the same is fine by me.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Man, that re-roll your entire inventory can be insane. My tears somehow turned into a 4 way spread of bob's head bombs that left a pit of fire every time they exploded and nearly always got me hurt every time I used it.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Man, that re-roll your entire inventory can be insane. My tears somehow turned into a 4 way spread of bob's head bombs that left a pit of fire every time they exploded and nearly always got me hurt every time I used it.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Sad Bombs+Ipecac+Rubber Cement+Fetus in a Jar

Every bomb/tear shot a bomb that explodes into 8 Ipecac shots that all bounce off of the walls. I didn't know whether to cringe or be happy.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Wugga posted:

That's a relief. Guess the new Wiki is about as trustworthy as the old one.

I wonder if the fact about seeded runs working is bullshit as well.

I don't plan on unlocking The Lost for a while, but it feels like the seeded run thing is bullshit to me also. My reasoning is that if that were true, everyone would be sharing seeds that have a mulliboom on the room next to the start instead of banging their heads against the wall trying to find one.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

DrManiac posted:

I think that's what happened to me yesterday. I found a room that had a pattern on the floor like a domino face and it completely tranformed my guy into a complete killing machine, then I found another room that was exactly the same and it totally nerfed him. :(

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

BJPaskoff posted:

I don't plan on unlocking The Lost for a while, but it feels like the seeded run thing is bullshit to me also. My reasoning is that if that were true, everyone would be sharing seeds that have a mulliboom on the room next to the start instead of banging their heads against the wall trying to find one.

I didn't want to take a chance with the seeded run thing only to get to the end of the Azazel run and find out it didn't work.

Ended up unlocking The Lost without seeds, found mullibooms like 4-5 times before I finally got killed by one, mostly from my own incompetence of not lowering my HP before letting them run at me. :suicide:

Also, like a filthy cheat I used the dead cat exploit to clear the chest with The Lost. Unfortunately I still need to kill satan once or twice more to unlock The Dark Room before I can do that. Kinda hope they don't patch the exploit out before I get home today. :v:

Feel sort of bad for cheating, but the dead cat exploit feels way better/more fun then just resorting to a save editor or something because there's no way in gently caress I'm good enough to finish a run as The Lost.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Ipecac + fly spawning familiar + bigger blue flies and spiders + a bunch of damage upgrades = Blue flies that can 3-shot Isaac.

that was pretty fun.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

How do I increase my odds of getting to the cathedral? I only need to do it 5 times to get the Polaroid and after that it's always guaranteed, right?

Sundayturks
May 31, 2011

You were expecting...Sandy Claws?

Fun Shoe
Don't pick up any items that give 'evil up', get items that raise your faith. Not sure if doing deals with the devil decreases the chance of a god-room spawning though.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Starting to think that the mask of infamy is one of the most vital items in the game, I mean sure it can't compete with brimstone or a guppy transformation but it can carry an underwhelming character through both Isaac and mom's heart/it lives cause you can just stand right infront of them, ignoring all of their bullets and simply wait until they die.

Flergatron 3000
May 8, 2008

you look like a fool with those buns!

Elman posted:

How do I increase my odds of getting to the cathedral? I only need to do it 5 times to get the Polaroid and after that it's always guaranteed, right?

After killing It Lives you should always get a portal to Sheol and the Cathedral

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Blank Card + Habit + holding a Sun Card = Unlimited Health (as long as you have at least 5 heart containers), plus damage to the entire room (which helps if you can't sell your heart containers for damage). Just stood in place and continuously healed myself until everything died.

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Nov 11, 2014

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
Started a run last night as Azazel and got Ludovico in the item room on the first level. :getin: Ended up getting my first Satan kill, Spelunker Boy + Dark Boy all in the same run.

Now to do it with everyone else.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Elman posted:

It's a guaranteed option if you've beaten It Lives. Otherwise you have to avoid certain items, not pick up black/sin hearts, and not take any devil deals. Notably, the Safety Pin and Matchbook items in the boss pool both give +Evil, so avoid those. The rosary bead and bible tract trinkets give a little +Faith, and the rosary itself gives a lot.

a bloody icon
Apr 22, 2012

Sundayturks posted:

Don't pick up any items that give 'evil up', get items that raise your faith. Not sure if doing deals with the devil decreases the chance of a god-room spawning though.

It reduces the chance pretty dramatically. Usually, if you take a devil room item, you've locked yourself into devil rooms and sheol unless your faith is very high. Your best chance is to skip the first deal with the devil you're offered and lock yourself into angel rooms, because angel room items tend to be the faith ups.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Starting to think that the mask of infamy is one of the most vital items in the game, I mean sure it can't compete with brimstone or a guppy transformation but it can carry an underwhelming character through both Isaac and mom's heart/it lives cause you can just stand right infront of them, ignoring all of their bullets and simply wait until they die.

Doesn't mask of infamy only have a chance to block projectiles from the front or something like that? The shield of faith or whatever the name was is the one that blocks all front damage every time.

Had both on my last run :smug:

Nastyman fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Nov 11, 2014

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

There was a time that I was pretty good at Isaac. That time has passed. I am getting hilariously wrecked in Rebirth in a way that the original never did. For some reason I'm having terrible luck finding damage-up items.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Floodkiller posted:

Blank Card + Habit + holding a Sun Card = Unlimited Health (as long as you have at least 5 heart containers), plus damage to the entire room (which helps if you can't sell your heart containers for damage). Just stood in place and continuously healed myself until everything died.

An even better combo would be blank card + sun card + sharp plug. Use the blank card, sacrifice health to recharge instantly, use the blank card, repeat.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Blank Card + Chaos Card is the best combo.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

Nastyman posted:

Samson is unlocked by not losing any health for two consecutive levels, although I'm fairly certain it's bugged. I went through all of the Basement without taking damage or doing anything that reduced my health in any way (Devil rooms, pills), got Basement Boy AND strolled through the third floor also without taking damage and I still didn't get him.

e: wow I massively misread your post but my point still stands. Samson is bugged to gently caress.

I'm really confused about how I unlocked him, because I know I took damage on a floor during my run. It went something like no-hit -> took damage -> got We Need To Go Deeper and used it -> unlocked Samson?

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Slime posted:

An even better combo would be blank card + sun card + sharp plug. Use the blank card, sacrifice health to recharge instantly, use the blank card, repeat.

I just read up on what the Sharp Plug does, and yeah, that is way better. I've always picked it up from shops, but never figured out what it did; I should try abusing it more often.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Nastyman posted:

Doesn't mask of infamy only have a chance to block projectiles from the front or something like that? The shield of faith or whatever the name was is the one that blocks all front damage every time.

Had both on my last run :smug:

It's definitely only projectiles, I'm not sure whether it's guaranteed or not though.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Unless you have tragically low health, or are going for a guppy/whore of babbylon run, demon buddy is not awesome late game. When you have room for 3 soul hearts and he keeps eating your health it can get frustrating.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I dunno, I tend to go for the soul/evil heart batteries and treat my regular hearts as currency for the devil rooms. Demon buddy drops a soul heart with each regular heart he takes, and that's fantastic to me.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

Unless you have tragically low health, or are going for a guppy/whore of babbylon run, demon buddy is not awesome late game. When you have room for 3 soul hearts and he keeps eating your health it can get frustrating.

With how you're capped at 12 hearts and how heart containers count, I honestly tend to seek to get rid of my heart containers pretty much every run. Like Manatee Cannon, I basically treat heart containers as currency for sweet gear.

Cainer
May 8, 2008
Whoever is the douche bag who designed the item that teleports you out of the room and into some random part of the dungeon every time you take damage needs to get kicked in the dick till he can no longer feel anything anymore. Holy hell what a frustrating run that was. No idea which item it was, but when I find out I am never touching it ever again. Still beat It Lives and Isaac but holy poo poo that sucked.

Edit: Looked it up, was the Cursed Eye, when combined with ipecac it was doing ridiculous damage but drat, just not worth it.

vvvv So its based on when you are charging? Wish I had known that before but whateves, not touching it again.

Cainer fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Nov 11, 2014

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Cainer posted:

Whoever is the douche bag who designed the item that teleports you out of the room and into some random part of the dungeon every time you take damage needs to get kicked in the dick till he can no longer feel anything anymore. Holy hell what a frustrating run that was. No idea which item it was, but when I find out I am never touching it ever again. Still beat It Lives and Isaac but holy poo poo that sucked.

protip: let go of the firing button before you get hit. congrats, now you'll no longer be teleported

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

I just unlocked something thats not even on the http://platinumgod.co.uk/rebirth site called an "0" baby, what the hell is that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Pixeltendo posted:

I just unlocked something thats not even on the http://platinumgod.co.uk/rebirth site called an "0" baby, what the hell is that?

-0- baby? It's just a thing for the co-op partner thing, all of those are unlocked by beating mom's heart with characters on hard mode.