Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
am I an open source developer now? ftge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

Bloody posted:

Cool now I don't have to pretend that Java has any advantages over c#

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the thing about this is if ur deploying to the clod with this stuff ur deploying on azure which means ur just deploying a paas app that doesn't care where it runs. I guess open soresing this makes it easier for Linux users to install it on Linux locally and then migrate to the clod later? idk.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

am I an open source developer now? ftge

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
java has maven which is a way huge advantage over c#. spring is also pretty good.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Shaggar posted:

the thing about this is if ur deploying to the clod with this stuff ur deploying on azure which means ur just deploying a paas app that doesn't care where it runs. I guess open soresing this makes it easier for Linux users to install it on Linux locally and then migrate to the clod later? idk.

Maybe you'll be able to use Heroku for your C# stuff, then you can tell me how much of a poo poo job I do. :allears:

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
soooo anybody plannin on using Microsoft DocumentDB, the DaaS

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

MononcQc posted:

Maybe you'll be able to use Heroku for your C# stuff, then you can tell me how much of a poo poo job I do. :allears:

Do you work for Heroku? I met a DBA or w/e from there like a month ago at a conference up here. He did a talk on postgres, it was neat.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

uncurable mlady posted:

Do you work for Heroku? I met a DBA or w/e from there like a month ago at a conference up here. He did a talk on postgres, it was neat.

Yeah, routing team though. We've got a team dedicated to Postgres stuff and they pretty much kick rear end.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

MononcQc posted:

if im deploying asp.net stuff to the cloud idk why id using something other then azure. unless ur super price competitive it wouldn't be worth it.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

:stare:

I need tissues

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
gonna go burn all my java (e)books

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Bloody posted:

{}
undefined

that's a block, not an object

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
asp.net and the clr spec have both been open for a while and open soresing the entire standard lib wouldn't have been a big deal. its the 1st party runtime for linuxes that makes this big.

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies

Tiny Bug Child posted:

magic data gnome

no more "ninja" "rockstar" or "guru," i know what's going on my resume from now on

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
I'm pretty happy with java tbqh, what would switching to .net buy me that would make up for losing maven?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
asp.net mvc/webapi is better than anything in java (or other languages) and wpf is the best ui framework.

the lack of maven really blows tho

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

i've never used maven but everyone i know who does java raves about it. what makes it so good?

DimpledChad
May 14, 2002
Rigging elections since '87.
idk i think it's like a java version of npm or some poo poo

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

DimpledChad posted:

lol then i really don't understand why it's popular

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

akadajet posted:

i've never used maven but everyone i know who does java raves about it. what makes it so good?

it's a thing that someone else builds and you can just right click "build everything" and everything magically works

it's pretty magical if you're not the one writing it.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

akadajet posted:

lol then i really don't understand why it's popular

when you're stranded in a desert, even piss looks refreshing

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

DimpledChad posted:

lol no. maven is good and works.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
p-langers will laugh at maven cause they think its like their garbage package manager and they don't know any better (which is why they're still using p-langs after high school)

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

FamDav posted:

eagerly awaiting the followup post to this OP

Sorry to disappoint, it turns out there's no drama.

DimpledChad
May 14, 2002
Rigging elections since '87.
just to clarify, i was being sarcastic about npm. although lol at XML config files.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
xml is great and works great especially w/ maven.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Deacon of Delicious posted:

does getting into it with TBC mean you're getting buggered

only if someone is filming it

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
there's no point in doing XML if you can do JSON

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
json is really bad and is only for browsers.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
like even Microsoft doing json for its new poo poo now it's undeniable. JSON is truly a wonderful way to represent objects.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Microsoft had to write a json schema system to make it work for configs. its so stupid and pointless.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

why did nerds keep on inventing new data serialization formats after xml existed

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
json is used on javascript so people use it unironically even tho everything javascript has ever created has been terrible.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

javascript owns

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah it owns everyone who uses it

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Shaggar posted:

yeah it owns everyone who uses it

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012