Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Magres, if you want to see what Guppy's like, QRMJ 1TK6 is an Eden run I'm doing where you start with Guppy's Paw and you can get the Collar + Tail at the Devil Room after Basement II.

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

rubber cement is a very underappreciated effect because it may not be flashy but it sure as hell lets more of your missed shots hit something.

I've only gotten one Rubber Cement drop in a run with Monstro's Lung, Explosive Shots, and The Parasite. poo poo just exploded all over the screen and I got hit by like every projectile because I couldn't see anything :P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i've definitely run into the 'my shots blanket the screen and make it hard to see' issue before but i guess in the grand scheme of things that's like complaining that the bars of solid gold you're carrying are pretty heavy.

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER

CJacobs posted:

How is that different than the way it worked in the old game? I thought that was how it worked. :confused:

In the old game you could only fire low powered shots slightly faster than your tears stat. Now it seems like you can just fire as fast as you can hit the key, with damage penalties if you hit it fast enough. I obviously can't tell you like, the damage numbers or whatever, but it's definitely different and I like it a lot more.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
From my recollection, I guess you're right. The new way it works really lets you fan the hammer on your fire keys/buttons whereas before it only let you fire as fast as your base firerate. I haven't had a chance to really test it but I do like it better this way if it really is that different.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

13/f/cali posted:

Press the select button.

how about PS4?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Rubber Cement plus The Parasite is a super fun combo.

Scythes/piercing + Parasite's loving amazing as well.

I get split shots every single time one of my shots pass through an enemy in addition to the ones at trajectory end.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Finally got 'Dead Boy' :toot:

Also I have never been so trolled by guppy items before. Picked up guppys tail on a basement II devil deal, proceeded to get an absurd number of gold chests and not enough keys to open any of them. Picked up 1+1 on caves II and along with thunder thighs figured I'd be sorted for keys come the depths, so I used my last key on a gold chest for a mob trap room. Not a single key on the next floor, missed the treasure room, so in my despair I took the left hand so I could at least open some red chests come next floor.

Then it started to rain keys, and for the rest of the game I got nothing but red chests with troll bombs and spiders because I never managed to replace the trinket. But at least I became guppy. :3:

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

goferchan posted:

how about PS4?

I don't have a PS4 but in the options it's whatever "drop" is bound to. Pressing that button toggles your pills/cards, holding it down drops your trinket/pills/cards.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So uh, don't use Tammy's Head in the Suicide King challenge if you value your run.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

RatHat posted:

So uh, don't use Tammy's Head in the Suicide King challenge if you value your run.

I imagine the result is much like if you use it in the Fetus challenge? :v:

Also, dual-shot parasite splitting scythes with Infestation 2 and Guppy. :stare:

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Had an interesting run of Tiny Planet + Number One + Polyphemus as Eve. With a few damage upgrades, I was able take care of most bosses in about 30 seconds, but killing things like spiders took forever. Ended up dying to a loving fly in a Curse of Darkness Womb II, though. I've found that Tiny Planet is a lot more manageable if you aim 100% backwards, away from your target.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Sanctum posted:

Finally got 'Dead Boy' :toot:

Also I have never been so trolled by guppy items before. Picked up guppys tail on a basement II devil deal, proceeded to get an absurd number of gold chests and not enough keys to open any of them. Picked up 1+1 on caves II and along with thunder thighs figured I'd be sorted for keys come the depths, so I used my last key on a gold chest for a mob trap room. Not a single key on the next floor, missed the treasure room, so in my despair I took the left hand so I could at least open some red chests come next floor.

Then it started to rain keys, and for the rest of the game I got nothing but red chests with troll bombs and spiders because I never managed to replace the trinket. But at least I became guppy. :3:

You can just drop the left hand when you don't want it. On PC the key is left control. Hold it in for a few seconds and you'll drop your trinket card on the floor. The only trinket that actually can't be dropped is the tick.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
You can wha:aaa:

Well that should make the abundance rune even more appealing.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Also, if you hold Tab it will tell you what floor you're on.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

RatHat posted:

Also, if you hold Tab it will tell you what floor you're on.

Holding Tab also displays: any curses and the alt-text "hint" on any items in your use slot (card, known pill, rune, etc.)

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
I found another good combo in Parasite (the one for split shots) and Ludovico Technique. It's a normal orange controlled tear, but when place on an enemy, it spray small tears in a decent sized radius, doing way more damage. On top of that, I also found ???'s Only Friend and Technobaby 2.0. I was a remote controlled god. :v:

Speaking of Ludovico, if you have it and find Mom's Knife, will the knife be controlled freely?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Waffleopolis posted:

I found another good combo in Parasite (the one for split shots) and Ludovico Technique. It's a normal orange controlled tear, but when place on an enemy, it spray small tears in a decent sized radius, doing way more damage. On top of that, I also found ???'s Only Friend and Technobaby 2.0. I was a remote controlled god. :v:

Speaking of Ludovico, if you have it and find Mom's Knife, will the knife be controlled freely?

I got TWO runs where I was carried by Parasite + Death's Scythe + Full Guppy in a row. The only thing that I could think of that would make my run even more insane was homing so the piercing, splitting shots would curve around and hit the enemies again and split again. Which is why I saved a Magician card for Isaac to get the final kill to unlock the Polaroid. :v:

Seriously, Isaac got a single holy artillery barrage off and then it was over. That run also redeemed Cursed Eye for me as well since it charges up so goddamned fast and if you're not charging you don't suffer the teleport on damage effect. I only got teleported once that run, and it was to my benefit as it put me closer to the Cathedral boss room.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
Have a mediocre playthrough? Spice it up by actually using that D6 room you found in the Depths!
http://gfycat.com/VillainousVeneratedLacewing

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Bahahaha, I just got carried ridiculously hard by this game. First time in the Dark Room, I'm having first time jitters even though I have loving Guppy (first time, he's p great) with Triple Shot Brimstone and Tammy's Head so I'm playing kinda dumb and down to four hearts. I was being a bad.

Then Gnawed Leaf drops. Cheesed The Lamb by just letting him hump me until he died :laffo:

E: Just did Cat Got Your Tongue, and I don't really get why people hate it. What's the big deal? I didn't even get carried, you just have to wiggle in circles to keep your hairball moving and it shreds things. Think of it like how you'd spin around a ball and chain weapon - keep its angular momentum high so it stays out far and just whirl around until you've got the timing right to swing it in and slap something in the face with it. Abuse your flying!

Magres fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Nov 15, 2014

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!

Magres posted:

Bahahaha, I just got carried ridiculously hard by this game. First time in the Dark Room, I'm having first time jitters even though I have loving Guppy with Triple Shot Brimstone and Tammy's Head so I'm playing kinda dumb and down to four hearts. I was being a bad.

Then Gnawed Leaf drops. Cheesed The Lamb by just letting him hump me until he died :laffo:

If I have Gnawed Leaf and have other items such is The Virus, would the enemy take damage during my statue state?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Waffleopolis posted:

If I have Gnawed Leaf and have other items such is The Virus, would the enemy take damage during my statue state?

Yes. I didn't realize it at the time, but this is, in fact, how I killed The Lamb. I figured it was my familiar leaving a blood trail on the ground, but he wasn't in the right spot and it was definitely The Virus that fried him.

HukHukHuk
Jun 27, 2011

I am the sound of cats and hairballs.
Samson's ball, Guppy, Mutant Spider, Holy Mantle, get Dark boy and Dead boy in the same run. When the game wants you to win, the game wants you to win.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Magres posted:

E: Just did Cat Got Your Tongue, and I don't really get why people hate it. What's the big deal? I didn't even get carried, you just have to wiggle in circles to keep your hairball moving and it shreds things. Think of it like how you'd spin around a ball and chain weapon - keep its angular momentum high so it stays out far and just whirl around until you've got the timing right to swing it in and slap something in the face with it. Abuse your flying!

The problem for me was the keyboard controls do not really have the fine control for the swinging. I could manage it...sometimes but not reliably enough. Thankfully I got lucky and got the brimstone baby that let me cheese the run.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Cat Got Your Tongue is definitely easier with a controller because the analog stick allows you to make real 360-degree circles. Usually I play with the keyboard but I switch to the controller for stuff like that and ludovico because my brain just doesn't work as well with 6 fingers as it does 2 thumbs.

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

Kaethela posted:

If you get the room with the bed, bomb the carpet and it will always have a trapdoor to either that or the next level. Otherwise, it's randomly under rocks. No tells as far as I've been able to figure out.

I don't think there's any tell either. Every time I find a Hagalaz rune, I save it for a giant room with a lot of rocks just in case that makes me more likely to get lucky with a trapdoor. Hagalaz is also good for a room with a lot of skulls because of the potential card/rune/sin heart drops.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Rubber Cement + Polyphemus + whatever that 'splash damage' item is, I suppose this could also work with the parasite as well, is a really nice combo, particularly as I got Loki's horns later on and some tear status effect upgrades, rooms just fill up with bouncing tears of various sizes that inflict massive damage to anything they touch, it was a pretty easy way to win the game.

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER

emanresu tnuocca posted:

whatever that 'splash damage' item is

cricket's body

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

I've beaten the game about eight times now, and for the life of me I still cannot figure out why some things happen.

My last Eden run I grabbed the Soy Milk and thought my run was over, due to my low health being coupled with it. Whatever item combination I had didn't result in any damage reductions, or very few and I was melting everything and even beat the final boss in under twenty seconds.

Is there any way to find out what your build was at the end of a game? I'm genuinely curious what worked with Soy Milk so well, because I've always been convinced it was a trash item.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Any hints for the family man challenge? Im currently just trying to restart until i get a brimstone baby or some guppy items, because its loving impossible. I managed to beat moms heart thanks to 90 coins and magic fingers last run but you actually have to beat Satan/Isaac on this challenge?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I really don't like playing as Lazarus, he doesn't seem very good.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

RatHat posted:

It is hilarious and great, I dunno what you're talking about

FrickenMoron posted:

Any hints for the family man challenge? Im currently just trying to restart until i get a brimstone baby or some guppy items, because its loving impossible. I managed to beat moms heart thanks to 90 coins and magic fingers last run but you actually have to beat Satan/Isaac on this challenge?

I dunno, the rotten baby with bffs is really loving beefy, I actually found it pretty doable. Don't skip damage upgrades because they affect how hard your rotten baby hits (unlike almost every other familiar in the game), prioritize flight if possible.

On an unrelated note blank card really is one of the less obvious super broken items in this game. Especially since it works with runes, meaning you can get a 4 room d6, or full mapping every floor, or doubling pickups on demand including unopened chests, etc etc.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Kurtofan posted:

I really don't like playing as Lazarus, he doesn't seem very good.

I just had a Lazarus run where I meant to kill myself on satan deals early on to take advantage of his extra life, except it never happened. Instead I got Brimstone, Number one, the Habit and Tammy's head and I just one-shot every room. If something survived the Tammy's I just had to get hit once to refresh it and use it again.

Sometimes the game just wants you to suceed :v:

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I'm really sad Rubber Cement doesn't work with Technology. I wanted rebounding lasers flying all over the place.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
i'm hoping that any dlc for this adds a ton more interactions between the items. it's a lot better than it was in the original but there's still lots of missed opportunities.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Unlocked the Polaroid and beat ??? for the first time.
Some dumb burrowing enemy coming out underneath me ruined Mama's Boy, but I got Dead Boy, so :toot:
I already had the Negative unlocked, but wanted to get the Polaroid before I ventured into new and terrifying territory.

And so far the most ridiculous run I've had was Azazel where I got the real Brimstone, Lil' Brimstone, and Guppy Mode. So many death beams and flies.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
If anyone wants to have a fun run, this screenshot was taken on the beginning of Caves 1:

That's 20/20, Cricket's Body, Fate, Scythe and a bunch of other good items after 2 floors.
It only got better from there as well.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

AnonSpore posted:

It is hilarious and great, I dunno what you're talking about

I dunno, the rotten baby with bffs is really loving beefy, I actually found it pretty doable. Don't skip damage upgrades because they affect how hard your rotten baby hits (unlike almost every other familiar in the game), prioritize flight if possible.

On an unrelated note blank card really is one of the less obvious super broken items in this game. Especially since it works with runes, meaning you can get a 4 room d6, or full mapping every floor, or doubling pickups on demand including unopened chests, etc etc.

I managed to beat it by becoming guppy, just took a few tries. Still, a bit of an annoying one.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

goferchan posted:

how about PS4?

R2 to swap cards/pills. Not sure how to drop trinkets on PS4, though.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Same as on PC I guess, hold the button you use to swap pills/cards pressed for a couple seconds. This'll drop all drinkets and pills/cards and you can pick those you want back up again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Adding Chocolate Milk to the list of items to only pick up if I've got Brimstone or Ipecac, never pick it up with normal tears, I did more damage by just tapping the keys then actually charging it up.

It's also kinda telling that Cain is the only character I have yet to beat Isaac or Satan with.