Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

Hitler hated gay folks. Kuvira is Hitler. Korra fights Kuvira.

gently caress y'all, this shite is clear as day :haw:

but why does Kuvira command a North Korean detention camp?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Can I use this thread as Exhibit B for why I despise fandoms?

Exhibit A being bronies, of course.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

Can I use this thread as Exhibit B for why I despise fandoms?

Exhibit A being bronies, of course.

That picture of Hetalia-fans Hitler-saluting a short distance away from a Holocaust museum is pretty easy to find, dude. As is all the horrible stuff the Supernatural fandom has shitted out. A discussion on the vague possibility of LGBT characters in children's animation (and on how the show's primary straight romance has poo poo the bed so badly that even this vanishingly unlikely possibility seems a more believable development) is pretty mild.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Nov 17, 2014

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

enraged_camel posted:

Screw romance. I just want Season 1 Asami to come back. She was actually a very useful member of the team back then, both with her martial prowess and her command over tech tools and weapons. She added value. Now she's just a pretty face.

It was because she had a boyfriend then. Girls are only good as long as they got a ~*~boy~*~ to love them. Otherwise they can no longer function any more.

Examples:
Kuvira hooks up with Spoiled Jr., she conquers the earth kingdom and starts an empire
Korra breaks up with Mako, she becomes bad at everything
Asami breaks up with Mako, she becomes a background character
Korra hooks up with Mako, she whoops rear end
Asami is dating Mako, we got Season 1 antics

I tell you, the gender politics in this show are quite troubling. Girls either gotta be pretty pink princesses with no responsibilities or get themselves a man if they want to function in society! I actually started this post as a joke but when I read those examples again, now I'm not too sure. :psyduck:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Jimbot posted:

I actually started this post as a joke but when I read those examples again, now I'm not too sure. :psyduck:

Well, there are strong characters who are single. Lin and Toph come to mind (even though the latter made only one appearance so far).

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I for one like Mako because I too am a gruff stick in the mud.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
"You met Toph!? What's she like!?"
"Like a crankier lonely-ier version of Lin."
"How is.. How is that even possible?"
"You'd be surprised. :3: "

Clearly fanservice but awesome service.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

enraged_camel posted:

Well, there are strong characters who are single. Lin and Toph come to mind (even though the latter made only one appearance so far).

If your only standard is 'in a relationship' yea I guess we can play the dumb tumblr game of who can reduce things the most to make them bad.

The metal bender city leader who I never remember the name of being a badass had nothing to do with her husband who appeared in one scene. Jinora's Basically Chick Aang status has been constant regardless of her thing with Kai. Asami being basically bat-girl hasn't been a thing this season because crazy enough this season has been pretty much about Korra and Earth-Nazi but she got some decent development with her dad the episode before last at least, and she wasn't really moving backwards in the most recent one where she beat dudes up with her shocker powers, last season she had an entire episode around her being bat-girl and Iron Man's bastard child when she ninja'd the airship and built the skiff in the desert.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

Ravane posted:

Y'all act like you've never seen a best friend before, jaws all on the floor like Bolin and Mako came out the closet door.

It would not make any sense for Korra to be with Asami. Not one bit at all. The avatar world is not yet ready for gay people.

It really is funny/depressing/disturbing how blind straight people are to homosexual relationships. If that sort of interaction happened between a man and a woman it would be unambiguously interpreted as romantic.

Also what the hell do you mean by "not ready" that's really weird. We've seen plenty of women in power, and active democracy. Both of which, given the technological/cultural era are both incredibly progressive. The only reason why we haven't seen a gay relationship is because people in the real world aren't ready for it. Like you.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

TheModernAmerican posted:

It really is funny/depressing/disturbing how blind straight people are to homosexual relationships. If that sort of interaction happened between a man and a woman it would be unambiguously interpreted as romantic.

Also what the hell do you mean by "not ready" that's really weird. We've seen plenty of women in power, and active democracy. Both of which, given the technological/cultural era are both incredibly progressive. The only reason why we haven't seen a gay relationship is because people in the real world aren't ready for it. Like you.

In my opinion, aside from members of the audience who're icked out by gay couples, I think one of the biggest barriers to making gay fictional characters more mainstream is figuring out a way of doing it respectfully (not turning them into fuckbuddies), but also in a way where it's not totally superfluous to their characterization (I.E. Dumbledore).

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Regalingualius posted:

In my opinion, aside from members of the audience who're icked out by gay couples, I think one of the biggest barriers to making gay fictional characters more mainstream is figuring out a way of doing it respectfully (not turning them into fuckbuddies), but also in a way where it's not totally superfluous to their characterization (I.E. Dumbledore).

I know a way!

You write them like any other goddamn couple on television.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

So who'll be first to post some Legend of Korra slash fic?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

I know a way!

You write them like any other goddamn couple on television.

True. :v:

Believe you me, I'd love to see society progress to the point where we don't have any problems with an explicit same-sex relationship in whatever media we watch.

E: I mean explicit in the "not trying to hide it" sense.

Regalingualius fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Nov 17, 2014

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

VanSandman posted:

It's a great contrast with Bolin, who is getting some much needed character development after the stagnation of Season 3.
You thought that Bolin stagnated in Book 3? I would gladly give you Book 2, but I think that Bolin's screen-time-to-character-development ratio was rather good in Book 3, even though it really only planted the seeds for Book 4. He managed to get over his inability to metalbend and discovered lavabending (which arguably triggered a deeper understanding of how he spiritually relates to his element), he got into a good relationship with Opal, Su became a bit of a mentor figure for him, we saw how easily he could make friends with the bad guys, etc.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

X_Toad posted:

he got into a good relationship with Opal

Not anymore :lol:

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Uh, I'm in a gay relationship, buddy. Don't presume you know me. The Legend of Korra series cannot have a gay relationship exactly because everyone keeps making such a big deal out of it. That's why it should be low key, like Dumbledore. When I learned Dumbledore was gay, I was like "wow, great!" And that was the end of that.

I just don't like relationships at all in the avatar world. I hated Aang and Katara together because it was stupid and childish. Relationships are the weakest part of tv, homosexual relationships will just put an unnecessary focus on a plot point that is already weak.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I think it's important that we quantify the gayness level here. What is the value of Korra and Asami's gayness ratio? Is it inversely proportional to the Hitler quotient?

Currently, I estimate it at around 3 gays, which, assuming a 1/1000 Gay Hitler conversion ratio, is approximately 0.003 Hitlers.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

Ravane posted:

Uh, I'm in a gay relationship, buddy. Don't presume you know me. The Legend of Korra series cannot have a gay relationship exactly because everyone keeps making such a big deal out of it. That's why it should be low key, like Dumbledore. When I learned Dumbledore was gay, I was like "wow, great!" And that was the end of that.

I just don't like relationships at all in the avatar world. I hated Aang and Katara together because it was stupid and childish. Relationships are the weakest part of tv, homosexual relationships will just put an unnecessary focus on a plot point that is already weak.

That is a good point. Every single romantic subplot in both Avatar series has been at best painful. So yeah, I don't even know what I'm arguing for.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'd argue that it would make the characters slightly more interesting in this case. Asami doesn't have much going for her, really. Anything would be a step up for her character at this point, except maybe a relationship with Mako. Unless you like two planks of wood slapping together.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What part of gay did you miss?

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

That is a good point. Every single romantic subplot in both Avatar series has been at best painful. So yeah, I don't even know what I'm arguing for.

The writers seem to favor the sledgehammer approach to romance. There hasn't really been two people growing to love each other over time; at least one person in the relationships we've seen has had an immediate/first episode attraction (if we've seen them meet, that is--can't speak for couples who met offscreen). If anything, that's the main reason Korra and Asami won't get together: it goes against the romantic formula Bryke has adhered to.

Well, other than Korra/Mako being the third constant in life after death and taxes seemingly.

Sato fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Nov 17, 2014

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

But it didn't happen between a man and a woman. So there wasn't anything "unambiguously romantic" about it.

My heterosexual female friends flirt with each other all the time. This isn't because they want to go down on each other. It's because playful flirting is how some women bond with their friends and entertain each other. Try being around women more and you might start to understand.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

enraged_camel posted:

But it didn't happen between a man and a woman. So there wasn't anything "unambiguously romantic" about it.
So the presupposition is that every single character is straight and that being gay, or bi, would be a deviation from that, the default.

So you are literally suggesting that gay attraction appears different than straight attraction.

So if two people have affectionate chemistry, they are straight besties.

If they flirt with each other, they are straight besties.

If they do nothing, they are obviously straight besties.

Once again, you've all laid down careful traps to curb queer visibility. Under these worldviews, literally the only way two characters could be queer is if they overtly shove it into everyone's faces with no nuance whatsoever, and all of you would simply call that pandering anyway.

v I give no fucks, damns, shits, or shites about shipping characters in this cartoon, but I continue to be aggravated by the sorts of tripe that people continue to come up with in defense of heteronormativity. Make fun of Tumblr all y'all want 'cuz they certainly deserve it, but we all constantly see and speak poo poo that's just as toxic right here on the SA forums.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Nov 17, 2014

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Maybe we should just take a break from this digression? I mean, this is pretty much shipping discussion, and I, for one, could not care less about which character is attracted to whom. It's really quite unimportant to the overall narrative of the story.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

I wanted to offer to get back to discussing Varrick and Bolin but then I remembered that those two had been together in a lot of scenes, sometimes even praising each other. Varrick even tries to reassert his straightness by namedropping Zhu Li every two minutes.

Clearly, these boys want to gently caress each other.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

PiedPiper posted:

I wanted to offer to get back to discussing Varrick and Bolin but then I remembered that those two had been together in a lot of scenes, sometimes even praising each other. Varrick even tries to reassert his straightness by namedropping Zhu Li every two minutes.

I think you'll find that Varrick is a secret poonbender.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
When shipping goes too far, this happens:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

PiedPiper posted:

Yep. This was proven when Varrick rejected Julie. He wants Bolin.

Denying this would be supporting "heteronormativity."

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I dunno, maybe once Bolin returns with Varrick and they explain what Kuvira plans to do then things will change. But that's like 2 episodes away (or possibly next episode even?) or however long their boat ride will take. Did the prisoners say where they were planning to go again?

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
I don't care what sex who is, I just think that while Korra could do okay with a romantic partner, what she really needs is a best friend. Past that, I see a situation where both roles are filled by the same person as ending up weaker than where they're different people, or where she just ends up single in the end. Had the series gone differently I could have seen any of the other three in either role, but it's clearly gone one direction and I'm okay with that.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
What a terrible thread

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

Yep. This was proven when Varrick rejected Julie. He wants Bolin.

Denying this would be supporting "heteronormativity."
...I realize that I'm indulging in a pointless exercise here and for that I apologize in advance, but you do understand that heteronormativity is a real word used in real social contexts, right? Like, you trying to scare quote it as if I just "made up" some fancy-sounding "term" to be fancy on "the internet" doesn't make you sound snarky or funny, it makes you sound like you don't know real words.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

...I realize that I'm indulging in a pointless exercise here and for that I apologize in advance, but you do understand that heteronormativity is a real word used in real social contexts, right? Like, you trying to scare quote it as if I just "made up" some fancy-sounding "term" to be fancy on "the internet" doesn't make you sound snarky or funny, it makes you sound like you don't know real words.

No one cares dude.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

enraged_camel posted:

No one cares dude.

I care that people don't know words are real, and have feelings and dreams.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

No one cares dude.
Calling your bluff. You don't care? Really? Then by all means, stop posting. :buddy:

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Killer robot posted:

I don't care what sex who is, I just think that while Korra could do okay with a romantic partner, what she really needs is a best friend. Past that, I see a situation where both roles are filled by the same person as ending up weaker than where they're different people, or where she just ends up single in the end. Had the series gone differently I could have seen any of the other three in either role, but it's clearly gone one direction and I'm okay with that.

I definitely agree with this. I don't think any relationship is needed beyond a platonic one.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I can't believe we're having a discussion about relationships in TLoK, possibly the worst part of the show.

Can we go back to how Toph's going to lose against Kuvira's army or something?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

enraged_camel posted:

No one cares dude.

Then why's there been a multipage discussion on this subject? You're projecting pretty hard, dude.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

I liked Opal and Bolin despite how quickly it happened. And maybe they went too fast when it came to show that they were good at supporting each other.

Aces High posted:

Did the prisoners say where they were planning to go again?
They said they were going north. I hope they meant "to the north of the Earth Empire, close to Republic City" and not "to the North Pole", because that would be one hell of a detour!

Golden Goat posted:

Can we go back to how Toph's going to lose against Kuvira's army or something?
Nah, she will lose in a fight against her grandson in a power armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Torquemadras posted:

I thought Wu would turn out to be annoying, but he's so lovably wimpish, it's great. I especially like how absolutely no-one is putting up with his nonsense, yet he keeps on truckin'. Like the part where they all have a big ol' friendship hug, and Korra immediately pushes Wu out of the group. :allears:

"You're the best friends a guy could have!"

That moment gave me a surge of pity for Wu. That he considers the people literally pushing him away his "best friends" shows that he hasn't had a friend in his life. :smith:

• Locked thread