Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Bajaha posted:

That's how good life is in Canada, you forget that the basic luxuries of life up here aren't universal :shrug:

And to think, there's 300 million people not that far south of us who have never had Eggs Benedict with the right type of cured pork in it. Poor bastards.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Tommychu posted:

And to think, there's 300 million people not that far south of us who have never had Eggs Benedict with the right type of cured pork in it. Poor bastards.

What do Americans have in their Eggs Benedict? Do they even eat Eggs Benedict? DO THEY EVEN KNOW WHAT THEY ARE???

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

I've heard of lots of people getting stabbed for their cars.

gently caress CARS

I have been saying this forEVER man.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

MrChips posted:

What do Americans have in their Eggs Benedict? Do they even eat Eggs Benedict? DO THEY EVEN KNOW WHAT THEY ARE???

I'm not even sure you're ready for the truth, but I hear :nms:THEY PUT HAM IN IT:nms:
(it's alright with side bacon, but ham is unacceptible, and the more common variant in most of the US)

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Nov 17, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Best use of NMS tag ever.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Sorry canadians for eating the wrong kind of salt-cured pork meat.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

I've put honest, serious hours of thought into moving to Alaska over the course of my life and I'm starting to think that it might just be time to do that one of thse days.

I really want to visit Alaska some day. There's something appealing to me about being isolated in a survivalist sort of fashion, but I would end up getting way too lonely. Off course that applies to Canadian wilderness too. But can an American just move to Canada?

edit: I'm also eligible for citizenship in an E.U. country, I need to take advantage of that.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Tommychu posted:

I'm not even sure you're ready for the truth, but I hear :nms:THEY PUT HAM IN IT:nms:
(it's alright with side bacon, but ham is unacceptible, and the more common variant in most of the US)

Yeah, we use Canadian bacon. Which isn't even bacon. It's just ham. But what do you expect from Canadians? They put cheese curds on fries.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:

CharlesM posted:

edit: I'm also eligible for citizenship in an E.U. country, I need to take advantage of that.

Yeah us UK goons have strong bacon game!

Choose somewhere other than the UK though. Life is poo poo here. I want to move to Italy.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Raluek posted:

It's just ham

:ssj:
HAM IS LEG MEAT YOU gently caress
Back bacon is cured pork loin. Similarities between back bacon and ham are only a result of the curing itself (and the fact that it's all pork in the end), but they're pretty distinct cuts both before and after curing.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Tommychu posted:

Back bacon is cured pork loin. Similarities between back bacon and ham are only a result of the curing itself (and the fact that it's all pork in the end), but they're pretty distinct cuts both before and after curing.

:goonsay:

All told I'm glad my family seem to get along and aren't mental, but you never know until you throw a coupe of hundred k into the mix, people change over that poo poo, it seems.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Tommychu posted:

Looks like ham, tastes like ham. Might be taxonomically distinct (lol) but it's certainly more ham-like than bacon-like. Get your act together!

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Whelp. The JW I was scheduled to work with today was just diagnosed with lymphoma two week ago. He's been in the ER all day which means I ain't working either. Time to go back to sleep.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Football is good because I can auto draft a fantasy team in a $20 12 player league and wind up winning the whole thing, did it last year and I'm on the way to doing it again

As far as watching sports though basketball is my favorite, right mix of action and discernable strategy

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

I've spent most of the day so far trying to track a suitable grommet which has put "Wallace And Grommit" in my head

To those having a bad time maybe it will put a smile on your face for a bit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4X4WnYw084

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Welp, just got a text from dad, roads are slick as hell so we're taking the day off. I don't think I've had an actual proper snow day in ages :v:

Now I just have to resist the urge to go find someplace to get my parking lot Tokyo Dorifto on.

Also, re: Football chat, try being a Raiders fan. I can never properly explain to people why I am, just that I have this weird, unconditional fandom for what is probably the worst NFL team out there.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Lol Toyota's move to Texas is going to hit them so hard. They were banking on 50% employee retention, but it's going to be closer to 30%.

Hope that the tax breaks were worth it, you morons.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Why the gently caress does a wreck that's off of the road and nothing is in traffic block up four lanes of interstate for twenty miles? Oh wait, idiots. That's why.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Holy poo poo, Adiabatic. I'm so sorry, that is a poo poo situation caused by a poo poo person.

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

I've put honest, serious hours of thought into moving to Alaska over the course of my life and I'm starting to think that it might just be time to do that one of thse days.

Do it, dude. Alaska, Montana, Vermont, and New Hampshire are my short list of likely destinations if I decide to move.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Guy at Chipotle totally just comped my burrito for talking about my caprice.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.
STR Mega-reply inbound:

Terrible Robot posted:

Pretty sure my house has a black mold issue. One day it will literally kill me. Can't afford to move out, can't afford to fix the problem, batfuck insane landlord will probably kick me out if I press the issue.

If your around DC, and open to moving to Maryland, I have an extra room for rent. I think we got all black mold that was behind the walls in the bathroom when we renovated it. And it'll be pretty cheap. Plus Old Toyota's in the driveway/yard/garage.... I'm not kidding either, the rent money would be a huge help.

Raluek posted:

Christ. I never understand how people can act this way towards their family. They're family. Stabbing them all in the back for a few bucks is just so terrible. I'm sorry, dude.

Rhyno posted:

gently caress. That reminds me of when my Grandmother died.....

I'm sorry Adiabatic. At least you still have your parents.

My personal experience is that when it comes to money, family ties don't matter as much as one would think they should. I don't even talk to my mother (aka the ex-wife), because of what she did (mostly being selfish) after my Dad passed away last year.

Bitch took all the life insurance, and tried to take the big 401k. They had been divorced for over 10 years at this point, but he never updated his beneficiary forms.

(UPDATE THEM YEARLY--SERIOUSLY, YOU MAY ACCIDENTLY GIVE MONEY TO SOMEONE YOU DIDN'T WANT TO INSTEAD OF PEOPLE YOU CARE ABOUT)

She then moved to Nashville Tennessee about a week after he died. She only gave us very little of the life insurance money, and the only way she signed over the 401k is when we threatened to sue, because of the divorce decree, the life insurance was supposed to go to us--she knew this and wouldn't hand over a copy of the divorce decree because it was specifically spelled out that whomever got the life insurance money was supposed to turn it over to the kids (us). Instead of doing what was legally required, she takes the divorce decree and immediately retains an attorney, then lies to me saying she can't find it.... When I finally realized what she had done (one of her friends told me) I confronted her and she told me to and I quote "you can just go get a copy from the courthouse, it is public record after all"

I was able to basically strong arm her into signing over the 401k because apparently her attorney couldn't find any loopholes. I did have to sign over the estate's interest in a house that was nearly paid off in Illinois. Since then I don't really talk to her, because she tries to justify it with stupid excuses from when I was a kid. In order to make ends meet (because I've inherited the bills of someone who made double what I do) I've had to take periodic withdrawals from the inherited retirement accounts, and take on the huge tax burden that comes with it.

Oh I almost forgot one of the first things she said to my grandparents when they arrived, "I can pay for the cremation, and the estate can pay be back later". That is super hosed up to say to people in their late 80's, who are here to bury their son. Worst part is, they have been nothing but kind to her even after the divorce.

To make it short: My Father's Ex-Wife (my real mother) tried to steal about a quarter million dollars from my brother and myself, then rolled out to Nashville, while leaving me with all the bills, and to try to deal with the grief after my Dad passed away.

Since then I haven't really talked to her. Every couple of months (usually around my birthday, Thanksgiving/Christmas) I get a voice-mail message... I sometimes call her back but I'm very short and polite now. I just have no desire to be hurt by someone who is supposed to care about me. And I don't think I ever want to get married/have a SO and or have kids because there is a remote possibility that I could do something like this because I'm related, and grew up around this poo poo.

Also both my parents are/were hoarders, so I have had to sort through literal mountains of poo poo in the houses. I think the last trip to the dump was somewhere in the range of 4200 lbs....

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

I know just how you feel. I am thinking that once I sell this loving house to developers who are going to bulldoze it and put up townhouses, I may just look into moving. Either to Pittsburgh to be closer to my grandparents, or the PNW.

Also:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qanlirrRWs

gently caress yeah, Gymkhana 7 is live!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
So about a week ago, one of our cats disappeared.

He showed up this morning after I left for work. If he had been lost, this would've been our second lost cat this year :unsmith:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

CommieGIR posted:

So about a week ago, one of our cats disappeared.

He showed up this morning after I left for work. If he had been lost, this would've been our second lost cat this year :unsmith:

Yay! Now you need to put a tracking collar on him.

http://www.amazon.com/Tagg-GPS-Pet-Tracker-Attachment/dp/B0077I42S4

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

iwentdoodie posted:

Why the gently caress does a wreck that's off of the road and nothing is in traffic block up four lanes of interstate for twenty miles? Oh wait, idiots. That's why.

Did you have my commute today? It took ten loving minutes to get over one ramp in the HOV lane.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

iwentdoodie posted:

Why the gently caress <insert any problem in the world ever here>? Oh wait, idiots. That's why.

We need a good hard plague of some description, thin the herd a bit. Ebola ain't doin' poo poo.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

I'm tempted, but he chews off/slips out of his collars. He has RFID tags in case he ever gets picked up.

Knobjockey
Jul 21, 2003

Crush your enemies.
Bang! and the alien is gone.
Hear the lamentation of Dr. Vahlen.
Doing 20 behind some old codger in a Daihatsu Prolapse. Must be Monday :sigh:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Hey thanks everyone for the condolences. Not sure why I'm venting to an automotive forum but y'all are pretty receptive so :glomp:

Everything I can change or influence is going well. It's just a bunch of bullshit out of control that's making 2014 suck slightly.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

alternate.eago posted:

Also both my parents are/were hoarders, so I have had to sort through literal mountains of poo poo in the houses. I think the last trip to the dump was somewhere in the range of 4200 lbs....

My dad owns a second house just to keep junk in, along with several storage lockers. I don't think he's ever thrown away anything in his life. The basement of one of his houses flooded recently and he refuses to throw out anything, despite everything being covered in a thick layer of mold.

I'm sort of pleased to be estranged from my father because I have no desire to deal with his estate after he dies, between his hoarding tendencies and his horrible wife. I imagine that if my dad leaves me anything, there's going to be a lengthy court battle involved because his wife won't want to give up anything.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

sportschat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEVdca9U9LM

Rhyno posted:

No, it's football.

Once when working at the bar I had a dude stab another dude 30+ times over a Notre Dame football game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qFrY4VcbMU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

2014 keeps on giving. Just got back from an urgent care visit with 3 stitches holding my 5 year old daughter's chin closed. Maybe now she'll listen when I tell her to be careful on the wood floors. :rolleyes:

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Just got the call that Charlie (my husky) has a malignant tumor and will be needing surgery asap.
:(
Why 2014, why?!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Adiabatic posted:

Hey thanks everyone for the condolences. Not sure why I'm venting to an automotive forum but y'all are pretty receptive so :glomp:
Because, as with 13's relationship issues, we do actually care about each other under the veneer of abuse and piss-taking.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

Because, as with 13's relationship issues, we do actually care about each other under the veneer of abuse and piss-taking.

AI'ers stick together, no matter the make or model!

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
As car people we bitch a lot. But we also know eachothers pains in one way or another.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.
All of the previous posts are why this is my favorite place on the internet.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I have to admit, I'm still surprised at how tight this forum can be sometimes. I remember when I first regged, I figured SA was going to be nothing but internet assholes and I was going to be probated or banned within the first few months for no reason other than laughs. You guys turned out pretty cool though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

alternate.eago posted:

If your around DC, and open to moving to Maryland, I have an extra room for rent. I think we got all black mold that was behind the walls in the bathroom when we renovated it. And it'll be pretty cheap. Plus Old Toyota's in the driveway/yard/garage.... I'm not kidding either, the rent money would be a huge help.

Dude, I would take you up on this so fast if I could. My best friend (and the only person I know as car spergy as me) just recently moved to Maryland and my area is becoming less and less appealing, for a number of reasons. Unfortunately I can't go anywhere for the time being, at least until I get some debt paid off and get my resume looking a little better, and maybe fix at least one of my cars...

I'd love to come up for a weekend or something and wrench on some old Toyotas, maybe after this stupid year is over I can take a couple PTO days and head up there.

edit: AI is the best, I love this forum and all of you cranky bastards.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Nov 17, 2014

• Locked thread