Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010

Carbon dioxide posted:

Bomb the carpet in the bed room. It'll either have a hatch to the next floor or a hatch with a ladder to a sidescrolling area. The ladder hatch can also very rarely appear under rocks.

It leads to a side-scrolling room that either contains a free treasure or an opening to a large normal (top-down looking) room called the black market (according to the wiki). The one time I got it, it sold a whole lot of stuff for hearts, just like the devil, but with more choices.

If the ladder to treasure/black market appears in the bedroom then there exists a rock somewhere on the floor where you can go down. The bedroom is basically the same thing as using the Passage rune, if there is a "lower level" on the floor then it'll open to that otherwise it opens to next floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
drat, I finally had one of those legendary runs, with Judas. Essentially Ludovico + Technology + Holy Mantle + some DMG up items. Got Dark Boy and Mama's Boy without even consciously going for them; beat the boss rush for the first time easily (I usually take my time to clear out floors so never make it in time, but with this combo I was racing through). Took the Wafer at that point too. Went up to the Cathedral and Isaac, like all bosses before him, melted before my eyes. It was nuts.

After ~30 hours it seems I've finally unlocked enough stuff that I'm starting to get good runs on a fairly consistent basis. :dance:

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008

Ghost Head fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jan 2, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Glare Seethe posted:

drat, I finally had one of those legendary runs, with Judas. Essentially Ludovico + Technology + Holy Mantle + some DMG up items. Got Dark Boy and Mama's Boy without even consciously going for them; beat the boss rush for the first time easily (I usually take my time to clear out floors so never make it in time, but with this combo I was racing through). Took the Wafer at that point too. Went up to the Cathedral and Isaac, like all bosses before him, melted before my eyes. It was nuts.

After ~30 hours it seems I've finally unlocked enough stuff that I'm starting to get good runs on a fairly consistent basis. :dance:

Had one of those of my own yesterday, too.

After a long string of really crappy runs, I started one with Isaac that gave me Holy Mantle in the first floor treasure room. From there I had a fairly vanilla run stacking damage and tears upgrades with a couple of useful buddy items... and then I got Dark Bum. So at this point I'm close to immortal, but my damage is only so-so, even with Lump of Coal. Beat Mom, and hey, a Devil Room. What's that, Satan? Is that Brimstone on offer, the first Brimstone I've seen without using a seed in all of my time with Rebirth? Why yes, I'd love to trade you two hearts for a win.

I haven't unlocked the Negative yet or I'm pretty sure this would've been an easy Lamb kill. As it is I used a Joker card on Womb 2 and ended up going to Sheol and melting Satan with the Brimstone he sold me and coming out pretty much unscathed thanks to Holy Mantle and a shitload of soul hearts. Good times.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Ghost Head posted:

Christ I'm sick of loving seeing Champion Bloat. It is an absolute textbook example of the game designer not knowing what the gently caress to do with regards to creating a boss fight. Yeah just have this guy that sprays brimstone everywhere, throws tons of poison bombs towards you and spawns a bunch of chargers and creep. Any idiot could make a boss like this. It's completely retarded.

On the other hand champion Carrion Queen is the exact opposite. It removes the terrible portion and replaces it with another way to do damage to the boss.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Why would anyone in their right mind pick up fire mind after they've seen it once and saw how obnoxious it is? Besides pyromania.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Aw man, had a really cool Eve run going with Pinking Shears that assured me the win, but I ran into a double Adversary room. And I'd used the shears on a triple Loki room earlier. And since I used the sun card to stay alive, I saw that I was going in completely the wrong direction.

:(

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

dis astranagant posted:

Why would anyone in their right mind pick up fire mind after they've seen it once and saw how obnoxious it is? Besides pyromania.

I pick up fire mind every time because it's very useful against bosses so I don't know where you're coming from with the obnoxious part. The chances of getting an explosive tear, having the tear hit an enemy, and having the enemy be within a square of you so the blast hurts you don't have a very large chance of coinciding. :shrug:

Thalamas
Dec 5, 2003

Sup?
Ludivico Technique, Brimstone, and Spoon Bender is awesome. Giant brimstone circle that covers about 1/4 of the screen and bends to hit enemies for massive damage.

That is all.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I accidentally found the best seed for the mulliboom death. You start with a curse room above you, and a champion mulliboom in the room to the left.

AHYS
SZWL

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The explosion chance gets me every single time I have a cluttered fight to deal with.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Samson+soy milk+spoon bender would be pretty boss if you had a few health ups in the rotation

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

I really like Fire Mind, actually. Yeah, it got me a few times, but the damage the lingering flames do to enemies is just too good to pass up.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I got the negative in a challenge, am I going to have to beat the dark room after beating Sheol? This is Darkness Falls challenge.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Kurtofan posted:

I got the negative in a challenge, am I going to have to beat the dark room after beating Sheol? This is Darkness Falls challenge.

I don't think any of the challenges go further than either Cathedral or Sheol, so no.

Cowboybot
Sep 27, 2007
On a steel horse I ride
I can see a story emerging as I complete heart kills. But is there anything cohesive except: "gently caress God and while you're at it push he Devils poo poo in while you're at it you big dumb about to die baby."

If not, it's cool.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The 'true story', that was never shown directly, of original BoI was about Isaac dealing with his psychological distress caused by his mother's abuse. Wanting to run away. Wanting to hide in his toy chest. Even willing to kill himself. Trying to find religion, or running away from it.

Seeing it in this light makes the entire game a journey through Isaac's rather disturbed psyche.

I remember someone wrote this big blog post giving arguments for the theory that the original game was about this, and that many smaller things in the game can be connected to this idea. McMillen then confirmed that this theory was mostly correct.

I'm guessing this basic idea hasn't changed for Rebirth.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
So, I just discovered that Sad Bombs exist. They make your bombs do a Tammy's head-style 9-way (8-way?) shot when they blow up. If you have brimstone or ipecac or other tears, is that what comes out instead? Are there sad bomb synergies?

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

Carbon dioxide posted:

The 'true story', that was never shown directly, of original BoI was about Isaac dealing with his psychological distress caused by his mother's abuse. Wanting to run away. Wanting to hide in his toy chest. Even willing to kill himself. Trying to find religion, or running away from it.

Seeing it in this light makes the entire game a journey through Isaac's rather disturbed psyche.

I remember someone wrote this big blog post giving arguments for the theory that the original game was about this, and that many smaller things in the game can be connected to this idea. McMillen then confirmed that this theory was mostly correct.

I'm guessing this basic idea hasn't changed for Rebirth.

http://www.twinfinite.net/2012/10/01/big-sloppy-slomper-chompers/

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Will give a nice recommendation for Samson's Chains, it makes the bullet hell bosses real easy since you can block shots. Works really well with Proptosis since you can stand right next to Isaac and ??? and take no damage with the ball between you. Dry Baby can also do the same, but it can't break rocks. They're both fantastic.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Alkydere posted:

Kind of like how Azazle does technically work with range upgrades?

This would explain why Number One ruined an Azazel run for me. :v:

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

CJacobs posted:

So, I just discovered that Sad Bombs exist. They make your bombs do a Tammy's head-style 9-way (8-way?) shot when they blow up. If you have brimstone or ipecac or other tears, is that what comes out instead? Are there sad bomb synergies?

Sad bombs literally use your tears.

Sad bombs synergize with Bobs Brain, making it shoot out your tears too.

Definitely use Sad Bombs with Bobs Brain, Ipecac, and Rubber Cement.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
Do DMG up items help your flies do more damage for the Solar System challenge?

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

Stokes posted:

I think the only thing that boosts their damage would be Hive Mind and BFFS! (not Big Beautiful Fly, never Big Beautiful Fly).

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Oh god Tammy's Head and Dr. Fetus should never be combined.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
After work I'll be grinding dead baby for the D6. My unlocks are all sorts of screwy since I kept getting early devil deal access to Sheol so I already have the negative.

I wish I had more time to sink into this game...

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I had the black market spawn for me on Sheol 2 which had a ladder that brought me to the Dark Room which I had yet to actually unlock. I looked it up and apparently there's like a .1% chance for the BM to spawn so that combination of events was ludicrously unlikely.

Stuff like that is why I love this game :allears:

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Doctor Goat posted:

Oh god Tammy's Head and Dr. Fetus should never be combined.

I killed ??? for the first time with this and it was extremely powerful.

Also, I beat Mega Satan for the first time with Cursed Eye. Guess it's not a run ender after all. Of course I did have proptosis.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Stokes posted:

If this is like old Isaac then flies will do double the damage of your tears, so upping your damage stat will increase the fly damage even if you can't actually fire.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

AnonSpore posted:

If this is like old Isaac then flies will do double the damage of your tears, so upping your damage stat will increase the fly damage even if you can't actually fire.

That's just for the little blue homing flies. He's talking about the orbital attack flies.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

dis astranagant posted:

That's just for the little blue homing flies. He's talking about the orbital attack flies.

Whoops my brain turned off and I thought he was talking about family man, not solar system. Yeah, nothing increases orbital fly damage except the orbital buffing item.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

TheModernAmerican posted:

After work I'll be grinding dead baby for the D6. My unlocks are all sorts of screwy since I kept getting early devil deal access to Sheol so I already have the negative.

I wish I had more time to sink into this game...

Yeah, I'm ending up in the same boat. More than once I've skipped Womb/Utero 2 with a Joker card and ended up killing Satan, so I'm still several Mom's Heart kills away from it becoming It Lives and getting any further progress the normal way. Plus I keep on not getting Eden tokens for that, so that's fun.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Stokes posted:

No, they do nothing. Hive Mind and BFFs are your only ways to get a damage boost outside of a dice room rerolling your character (which works for all challenges, by the way).

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

first floor playing as ??? pick up ipecac. second floor rubber cement. third floor quad shot. somehow still beat the chest

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I feel like this is a little redundant.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Yet more proof that flight is the best thing to have in this game.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Carbon dioxide posted:

It leads to a side-scrolling room that either contains a free treasure or an opening to a large normal (top-down looking) room called the black market (according to the wiki). The one time I got it, it sold a whole lot of stuff for hearts, just like the devil, but with more choices.

Yep. I think that's what I got. I probably forgot that I had to spent a heart to get any item...

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

CJacobs posted:

I feel like this is a little redundant.

Lock blocks do have a chance to drop items (once I got a soul heart!), so if you've got a key and no flying you might as well.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Managed to finally kill Isaac with ??? and then even cleared the Chest. Didn't have anything insanely powerful, just homing Tech 2, triple shot with some dmg ups and flying from a devil deal. Found Holy Mantle in the Chest, that helped. The starting poop was actually useful for dropping some keys and bombs, replaced it really late with Guppy's Head. Highlights include only losing 1 heart to Isaac (that homing laser is really handy), 2x2 room with all 4 horsemen and 1x2 room with 4 Prides. Good times.

omeg fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Nov 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Got a 5 win streak going, cleared out all my Maggy and Blue Baby runs along the way.

Oh and to whoever I said you needed 3 cubes for Super Meat Boy, sorry :( Found that out the hard way today but got really lucky on Utero I and got the 4th one. You do only need 3 for Bandage Girl, oddly enough.

At this point I'm starting to roll the game up. Need Hard Mode runs on everyone, need to unlock The Lost(saving that for dead last) and need to start my Eve/Eden/Lazarus runs but beyond a few other random achieves like 100 Marked Rocks and 999 coins the rest should fall into place with the kills.