Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93hqlmrZKd8

Pertinent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

My Imaginary GF posted:

Pretty sure Sherman didn't take prisoners of civilians who fought against his march.

The state of Georgia says "Physical attacks on white civilians were few." That's in the same sentence in which it insinuates a mass raping of Black women, so not exactly a pro-Union source. Do you have any special insight into the actual death tolls of the March?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Muscle Tracer posted:

The state of Georgia says "Physical attacks on white civilians were few." That's in the same sentence in which it insinuates a mass raping of Black women, so not exactly a pro-Union source. Do you have any special insight into the actual death tolls of the March?

Which is hilarious, as Sherman and several others under his command commented on the column of freed slaves that begin to follow in their wake...

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

Muscle Tracer posted:

lol if you actually trust any kind of "history" that comes out of the American south

Also, here's the full excerpt

quote:

Physical attacks on white civilians were few, although it is not known how slave women fared at the hands of the invaders. Often male slaves posted guards outside the cabins of their women.

Pretty far cry from "insinuates a mass raping of Black women"

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

down with slavery posted:

lol if you actually trust any kind of "history" that comes out of the American south

Also, here's the full excerpt

Yeah, that's a very Southern way of doing it, actually.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

My Imaginary GF posted:

Gee, sounds like how Israel classifies rocket target launch points.

Also, how Israel classifies the houses of relatives of suspected opponents.

And the houses of consuls of G5 countries.

What I'm saying is that the way Israel classifies anything as a target can, itself, only be classified as "abhorrent bullshit".

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Cat Mattress posted:

Also, how Israel classifies the houses of relatives of suspected opponents.

And the houses of consuls of G5 countries.

Don't forget the Al Jazeera offices in Gaza.

It's really pretty funny (or the opposite of funny) how Israel didn't get any sort of flak for that when it was clearly a mean spirited vengeful attack cause AJ said some bad things.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Don't forget the Al Jazeera offices in Gaza.

It's really pretty funny (or the opposite of funny) how Israel didn't get any sort of flak for that when it was clearly a mean spirited vengeful attack cause AJ said some bad things.

Didn't the Palestinians also ban AJ for a while? Because being unbiased is....bad?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

In fact it is known what happened to the slave women (and men): A bunch of them joined up with Sherman's March to the sea, in a huge camp following that trailed after the army wherever it went (because they feared slaver reprisals and leaving was better than staying in Georgia). Sherman talks about the problems of providing basic care for them several times in his autobiography. They ended up walking across the entire country, and took part in the final victory parade in Washington, DC (the parade took like 15 hours, started with Grant's smartly-dressed Eastern army, and then Sherman's "shockingly-dressed" Western army, and then ended in a general assembly of hangers-on and ultimately a herd of cattle.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER

FreshlyShaven posted:

So you were also opposed to boycotting apartheid South Africa, right?

Edit: since I'm bored, I may as well take apart these "arguments."

Just because you have a right to do something doesn't mean you should. You have the right to shout the N word at the top of your lungs; that doesn't mean that any decent person should do such a thing. The entire point about BDS is that it's a democratic, grassroots campaign; if the people of a country decide they don't want to support apartheid, they should boycott the apartheid state.

This is categorically untrue. The United States has given billions of dollars in aid to Israel, money that is used to build apartheid walls, Jewish-only settlements and to arm IDF soldiers in their fight to maintain an apartheid regime. We provide Israel with bombs, guns, military intelligence, and other tools used to murder and oppress Palestinians. We are, as are most Western powers, already involved. The difference is that we got involved on the side of the bad guys.

Also, the world has a moral and legal obligation to get involved when we're dealing with apartheid, which is considered a crime against humanity in international law.

Because the truth is always in the middle, right? One side is the victim of apartheid; the other is the perpetrator. One nation is a first-world, nuclear-armed superpower which oppresses its indigenous people with impunity; the other lives in refugee camps, concentration camps and bantustans because of the actions of the former. We have a moral obligation to favor the victim, just like we did in South Africa.

The entire purpose of BDS is to put pressure on Israel to end its apartheid policies, recognize Palestinian human rights and make peace. It is clear that Israel has no interest in doing so; the current government has publicly sworn there will be neither a Palestinian state nor racial equality on its watch and the majority of Israeli Jews are squarely against a peace deal, much less a genuine 2 state solution(meaning, the creation of an actual Palestinian state, not just a non-sovereign collection of semi-autonomous bantustans.) It's clear that if peace is going to happen and apartheid is going to end, foreign intervention will be necessary just like it was in South Africa. Boycotts are an acceptable, non-violent and democratic way of putting pressure on Israel to conform to the norms of international law and basic human decency.

What i want is to maximise the wealth of my country, joining a boycott is not helpful in that regard. You are free do it if you feel like but i will never be in favour of that policy as it does further my political aims. Perhaps americans do have some extra responsibility to act. Ceasing to activly subidize Israel should be enough tough. The rest of the world has even less reason to join a boycott.

I don`t dispute that one side is more powerful and way more unjust than the other side. I just don`t want to rock the boat. Taking a side means that someone will be upset. By at times appearing to favour one side and at times appearing to favour the other side you avoid creating too many enemies. So acknowledging Palestine ( because they themselves have asked for it, not because we are ok with a bantustan situaton) and tossing them a few millions every few years is fine. Boycotting Israel not so much. That way my country gets to avoid being hated by Arab world and stay in the good graces of Washington at the same time.

I know what the purpose of the boycott is. On the surface it appears to support a noble cause, but hurting innocents to acheive a greater good is pretty fishy. At the very least any boycott should better targeted. The crimes you are referring to are indeed very serious, but not every natural or legal person in Israel are responsible for them. Not all of them profit from it. Collectivly punishing everyone is just not fair. The fact that the so called" norms of international law" allows for it is frankly scary, those norms clearly need to revised if that`s the case.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Effectronica posted:

Why doesn't saying Japan is "creepy" bring down tedious narcissists like The Insect Court? Only in the case of Israel does detesting a country's policies mean hatred of an entire ethno-religious group.

Please point me to the posts advocating for or excusing the killing of Japanese civilians, describing Japanese people as bloodthirsty murderers, greedy thieves, genocidal racists, the equivalent of the Nazis, etc. TIA(thanks in advance)

It's not that you can't find any posts on the forum that discuss another ethnic group in the same mode as Israeli Jews are talked about in I/P threads. I would suggest that this post or this post can easily be compared to similar posts in I/P threads. Of course, the comparison is a very incomplete and partial one because that poster was banned for anti-black racism, while nobody who image spams I/P threads with pictures meant to convey Israeli Jew's bloodthirst and brutality or posts about how not all Israeli Jews are deceitful genocidal monsters but some of them are is even the least bit anti-semitic, as so many I/P posters are so very eager to remind us.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

כבר אמרתי לך שאתה חופר?

Oh, hold on, you're yet another one of those vehement pro-Israelis who doesn't know the language, right?

What's this "vehement pro-Israeli" stuff? I haven't posted anything in this thread supportive of the Israeli government or its policies.

The Insect Court fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Nov 22, 2014

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

The Insect Court posted:

Please point me to the posts advocating for or excusing the killing of Japanese civilians, describing Japanese people as bloodthirsty murderers, greedy thieves, genocidal racists, the equivalent of the Nazis, etc. TIA(thanks in advance)

It's not that you can't find any posts on the forum that discuss another ethnic group in the same mode as Israeli Jews are talked about in I/P threads. I would suggest that this post or this post can easily be compared to similar posts in I/P threads. Of course, the comparison is a very incomplete and partial one because that poster was banned for anti-black racism, while nobody who image spams I/P threads with pictures meant to convey Israeli Jew's bloodthirst and brutality or posts about how not all Israeli Jews are deceitful genocidal monsters but some of them are is even the least bit anti-semitic, as so many I/P posters are so very eager to remind us.

כבר אמרתי לך שאתה חופר?

Oh, hold on, you're yet another one of those vehement pro-Israelis who doesn't know the language, right?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

CommieGIR posted:

Which is hilarious, as Sherman and several others under his command commented on the column of freed slaves that begin to follow in their wake...

He left those in a swamp though.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

The Insect Court posted:

I haven't posted anything in this thread supportive of the Israeli government or its policies.

You're "just asking questions", right?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

You're "just asking questions", right?

Is it really that hard to believe someone might find the full-throttle support for the Palestinian cause espoused by some D&D posters to be misplaced without being secretly pro Israel?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Dead Reckoning posted:

Is it really that hard to believe someone might find the full-throttle support for the Palestinian cause espoused by some D&D posters to be misplaced without being secretly pro Israel?

When that is the absolute sole thing that person bothers adding to at least two threads I've seen on the subject, I would say that that's quite telling. I've spent pages excoriating people for being racists masquerading as anti-colonialists, but I also do my part to add to the conversation.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Dead Reckoning posted:

Yeah it is

I mean, it's an active genocide being televised to the entire developed world. Having full throttle support for the plight of the Palestinian people seems like the only moral stance to take.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

I mean, it's an active genocide being televised to the entire developed world. Having full throttle support for the plight of the Palestinian people seems like the only moral stance to take.
It would be that simple, if only it were possible to disentangle the Palestinian plight from the political, ethnic, and religious history of the region.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Dead Reckoning posted:

I can understand being miffed by full throttle support of Hamas or Islamic jihad, because there exist other Palestinian political organizations which I prefer, but anybody who looks at the I/P situation and thinks the truth must be somewhere in the middle or the IDF is the thin green line between Israel and genocide is misinformed or delusional.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Dead Reckoning posted:

It would be that simple, if only it were possible to disentangle the Palestinian plight from the political, ethnic, and religious history of the region.

Well that's a pretty way of saying "I'm taking the immoral stance"

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

JeffersonClay posted:

I can understand being miffed by full throttle support of Hamas or Islamic jihad, because there exist other Palestinian political organizations which I prefer, but anybody who looks at the I/P situation and thinks the truth must be somewhere in the middle or the IDF is the thin green line between Israel and genocide is misinformed or delusional.
I just don't see any realistic endgame worth putting energy into supporting. Even if Netanyahu's heart grew three sizes tomorrow and Israel unilaterally withdrew behind the 1967 borders, the result would be a bunch of Palestinians killing settlers and kicking people out of their homes, which is what started this mess in the first place, followed by a war in a decade or so when Hamas felt they were ready for another bite at the apple.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Dead Reckoning posted:

I just don't see any realistic endgame worth putting energy into supporting. Even if Netanyahu's heart grew three sizes tomorrow and Israel unilaterally withdrew behind the 1967 borders, the result would be a bunch of Palestinians killing settlers and kicking people out of their homes, which is what started this mess in the first place, followed by a war in a decade or so when Hamas felt they were ready for another bite at the apple.

God drat you really are a lovely person

No endgame worth supporting? How about stopping the genocide of Palestinians for a quick start?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Dead Reckoning posted:

Yeah, except even if you study the political, ethnics, and religious history of that region (which I have), you still find that Israel's doing horrible, abusive, and ultimately self-destructive nonsense, and the IDF are weak-rear end atrocity-happy, over-armed, trigger-happy, chicken-poo poo trumped up thugs, who could drive most of our faithful readers into butchery and suicide bombing.

ETA:

Dead Reckoning posted:

Where would the Palestinians be kicking settlers out of exactly? A withdrawal would mean the IDF dragging them back to sovereign Israeli territory, like they did with the Gaza settlers, and the North Sinai settlers before them.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Absurd Alhazred posted:

When that is the absolute sole thing that person bothers adding to at least two threads I've seen on the subject, I would say that that's quite telling. I've spent pages excoriating people for being racists masquerading as anti-colonialists, but I also do my part to add to the conversation.

Are you actually suggesting that there are racists in an I/P thread? That's a serious charge A.A., and I think it would behoove you to produce some evidence.

As for adding to the substance of the conversation, that would require substance to add to. Please do let me know where you see some and I'd be happy to oblige.

Dead Reckoning posted:

There's a variety of fanatic so twisted by rage and resentment that they are incapable of seeing anyone who doesn't agree with them entirely as being an agent of the enemy. It's the sort of monomaniacal hatred expressed in its more violent form that we saw recently in Jerusalem.

The Insect Court fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Nov 22, 2014

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

The Insect Court posted:

Are you actually suggesting that there are racists in an I/P thread? That's a serious charge A.A., and I think it would behoove you to produce some evidence.
Anyone who supports the military actions of Israel against Palestine is a racist. Case and point: They believe the genocide of the Palestinian people is justified.

Props on continuing to "just ask questions". At least have the balls to take a position other than a bunch of whiny bullshit.

The Insect Court posted:

As for adding to the substance of the conversation, that would require substance to add to. Please do let me know where you see some and I'd be happy to oblige.

:ironicat: check the op you loving moron

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

God drat you really are a lovely person

No endgame worth supporting? How about stopping the genocide of Palestinians for a quick start?
And then what? Seriously, poof, all Israeli settlement activity and policing outside of Jewish enclaves stops tomorrow. All you have to do now is sell the Israeli public on the idea that they're going to have to accept the occasional rocket attack and synagogue meat cleaver murder until Hamas works it out of their system, and then solve the issue of who has access to what holy sites, find a way to guarantee the security of settlers on the Palestinian side of the line, decide how to deal with the intransigent ones, apportion water rights, and deal with the fact that the Palestinian state(s?) will be crushingly impoverished without trillions of dollars of development aid no one is willing to pay for.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Where would the Palestinians be kicking settlers out of exactly? A withdrawal would mean the IDF dragging them back to sovereign Israeli territory, like they did with the Gaza settlers, and the North Sinai settlers before them.
Leaving aside the much greater scope of the issue in the West Bank, this is a thing that will never happen in real life after how it turned out in Gaza.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Dead Reckoning posted:

And then what? Seriously, poof, all Israeli settlement activity and policing outside of Jewish enclaves stops tomorrow. All you have to do now is sell the Israeli public on the idea that they're going to have to accept the occasional rocket attack and synagogue meat cleaver murder until Hamas works it out of their system, and then solve the issue of who has access to what holy sites, find a way to guarantee the security of settlers on the Palestinian side of the line, decide how to deal with the intransigent ones, apportion water rights, and deal with the fact that the Palestinian state(s?) will be crushingly impoverished without trillions of dollars of development aid no one is willing to pay for.

Yeah, I mean, how can you do anything but occupy and displace all minorities and poor people anywhere because some of them are going to end up being violent? :rolleyes:

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Dead Reckoning posted:

And then what?

No, you don't get it, stopping the genocide is the endgame. Then what? Then we let the Palestinian people govern their own territory as they see fit. If they start genociding Israelis you'll see the same posters here telling you it's a bad thing.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Yeah, I mean, how can you do anything but occupy and displace all minorities and poor people anywhere because some of them are going to end up being violent? :rolleyes:

No, you don't get it, stopping the genocide is the endgame. Then what? Then we let the Palestinian people govern their own territory as they see fit. If they start genociding Israelis you'll see the same posters here telling you it's a bad thing.

Yes, that's a wonderful and beautiful principle, but in the real world any durable solution is going to require securing Israeli cooperation, and offering the selling point of "If a minority of Palestinians continue to attack Israelis, we will condemn that too" is ridiculous. If Israel has to keep Palestine in crushing poverty in order to limit the Palestinians' options for violence, they're going to need a really good reason to back off from their position of military dominance.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Nov 22, 2014

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Dead Reckoning posted:

Yes, that's a wonderful and beautiful principle, but in the real world any durable solution is going to require securing Israeli cooperation, and offering the selling point of "If a minority of Palestinians continue to attack Israelis, we will condemn that too" is ridiculous.

Is it? For me isolated acts of terrorism that lead to low casualties (which happen everywhere in the world) is on a whole different level than active genocide.

Are you from the 19th century or something? Do you not understand that the Palestinians are not animals, but actual people?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Dead Reckoning posted:

Yes, that's a wonderful and beautiful principle, but in the real world any durable solution is going to require securing Israeli cooperation, and offering the selling point of "If a minority of Palestinians continue to attack Israelis, we will condemn that too" is ridiculous.

Yeah, that's why Abbas has been repeatedly proving his security forces as useful for Israeli safety (as the Head of Shin Bet recently admitted to the Knesset), and why Hamas has, when treated fairly, enforced ceasefires on other armed groups. They have proven themselves quite a bit more reliable than Israel, only to be shat upon.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Is it? For me isolated acts of terrorism that lead to low casualties (which happen everywhere in the world) is on a whole different level than active genocide.

Are you from the 19th century or something? Do you not understand that the Palestinians are not animals, but actual people?

I do, and I hold their organizations culpable for their actions. From my vantage, it really appears that you ascribe little agency to Palestinians.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

My Imaginary GF posted:

I do, and I hold their organizations culpable for their actions. From my vantage, it really appears that you ascribe little agency to Palestinians.

Organizations =/= Palestinians

You guys really have a hard time grasping the difference between ethnic groups and political groups.

I ascribe little agency? Well if that isn't the cutest little "you're the real racist!" post I've seen in a long time.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

You're asking one side to back off from a position of absolute dominance and just accept the fact that it will most likely result in the deaths of more of their citizens. No matter how "moral" it may be, it isn't something that any state would do.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Dead Reckoning posted:

You're asking one side to back off from a position of absolute dominance and just accept the fact that it will most likely result in the deaths of more of their citizens.

Citation needed

quote:

No matter how "moral" it may be, it isn't something that any state would do.

I guess that's why the US kept dropping Nukes on Japan.

Seriously, you're arguing that genocide is justified because "they might genocide us back if we stop". That has to be the absolute worst excuse I've seen in this thread.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

My Imaginary GF posted:

Hard to hold any organization culpable when you keep disrupting their command and control structures, as Israel had been doing since the start of the Second Intifada, if not earlier. Or are you forgetting how Israel keeps withholding tax dollars needed to pay security personnel, or bombs police headquarters on the reg?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Dead Reckoning posted:

You're asking one side to back off from a position of absolute dominance and just accept the fact that it will most likely result in the deaths of more of their citizens. No matter how "moral" it may be, it isn't something that any state would do.

You shut the gently caress up with doomsday hypotheticals and respond to these right now:

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Yeah, that's why Abbas has been repeatedly proving his security forces as useful for Israeli safety (as the Head of Shin Bet recently admitted to the Knesset), and why Hamas has, when treated fairly, enforced ceasefires on other armed groups. They have proven themselves quite a bit more reliable than Israel, only to be shat upon.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Hard to hold any organization culpable when you keep disrupting their command and control structures, as Israel had been doing since the start of the Second Intifada, if not earlier. Or are you forgetting how Israel keeps withholding tax dollars needed to pay security personnel, or bombs police headquarters on the reg?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Foreign intervention against your state development always occurs. You don't develop a strong nation by complaining about how unfair those with an interest in your failure are treating you, you do it by developing a stable political order with its own tax base that doesn't rely upon foreign interests playing by your rules.

Unfortunately, this requires leadership of the like which Palestinians haven't ever seen. A good first step would have been for Hamas to condemn the synagogue attack in Jerusalem--now that would have demonstrated that the organization has leadership with ambition greater than pure genocidal intent.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

My Imaginary GF posted:

A good first step would have been for Hamas to condemn the synagogue attack in Jerusalem--now that would have demonstrated that the organization has leadership with ambition greater than pure genocidal intent.

LOL you can't be this stupid

My Imaginary GF posted:

Foreign intervention against your state development always occurs.

Genocide, a "political reality".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

The only thing that needs condemning here is your posts.

e: for the people I presume are blocking this clown

• Locked thread