Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

goodness posted:

I just found Mutant Spider. Will there be 4 Ludovico circles now?

I'm not sure how those three combine since I've never had Brimstone, Ludovico, and Mutant Spider simultaneously. But I can tell you that there's zero reason to not pick it up, as the only negative to Mutant Spider is tears down and with Ludovico that never comes into effect. You do fire four lasers with Brimstone and quad shot usually though, so I'd assume it'd do the same here and boost your damage exponentially.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Manatee Cannon posted:

I'm not sure how those three combine since I've never had Brimstone, Ludovico, and Mutant Spider simultaneously. But I can tell you that there's zero reason to not pick it up, as the only negative to Mutant Spider is tears down and with Ludovico that never comes into effect. You do fire four lasers with Brimstone and quad shot usually though, so I'd assume it'd do the same here and boost your damage exponentially.

I'm quite enjoying sitting on a rock and destroying everything by moving the ring around.

But 1 shotting the bosses with 4 lasers would be pretty nice.

edit: Picked Up Mutant Spider, all that changed was it increased my damage. Woo

goodness fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Nov 22, 2014

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Nothing like getting to Isaac 3 times during the Family Man challenge and dying each time. I'm not bad at the fight, I just don't have the damage output to get through the phase where light drops randomly on you.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

bobjr posted:

Nothing like getting to Isaac 3 times during the Family Man challenge and dying each time. I'm not bad at the fight, I just don't have the damage output to get through the phase where light drops randomly on you.

Aye, and that's why you hide in the corner, where the light doesn't reach. Usually. :v:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

goodness posted:

I'm quite enjoying sitting on a rock and destroying everything by moving the ring around.

But 1 shotting the bosses with 4 lasers would be pretty nice.

edit: Picked Up Mutant Spider, all that changed was it increased my damage. Woo

I think it's like a 300% increase, so even if it doesn't look cool it's still really good. Unless you find Polyphemus later in the run, in which case picking it up was a mistake as Polyphemus alone would be a much bigger damage buff but what can you do? :shrug:

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005

bobjr posted:

If you're talking about the third phase, just hide in either of the corners adjacent to where the lasers start raining from.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Manatee Cannon posted:

I think it's like a 300% increase, so even if it doesn't look cool it's still really good. Unless you find Polyphemus later in the run, in which case picking it up was a mistake as Polyphemus alone would be a much bigger damage buff but what can you do? :shrug:

Well it made my run pretty simple.

Used the Joker card in the Womb which took me straight to the Cathedral. Beat Isaac in about 2 sec.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
Family Man challenge wasn't so bad, even though I was once again surprised by having to go to the loving Cathedral and I really wish there was some sort of in-game mark for those so I don't blow my resources on the Heart, and hot drat is the reward worth the effort.

only got suicide king (:negative:), waka waka, the host and Purist to go. Of those, Suicide King seems the hardest.

One Tall Fellow
Oct 22, 2006

Bow wow best friend.

Bow wow best friend.

Bow wow best friend.

Manatee Cannon posted:

I like that you circled it with the Ludovico laser. But no, don't get Technology 1 or 2 since they're nerf your damage a bit. I'm pretty sure they also overwrite Azazel's Brimstone, which is probably what you're actually worried about.

I don't know about Technology 1, but 2 will not overwrite Azazel's brimstone; it fires the continuous laser, but still allows him to charge his blast as normal.

On an unrelated note, I find the Solar System challenge to be oddly relaxing. I don't have to worry about firing. I just have to dance with the enemy until it is dead. Also, if you are lucky enough to find it, Bob's Brain really changed things up in a positive way for this challenge, since being blindfolded doesn't stop the brain from taking directions. Good practice for not blowing yourself up!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Does picking up the Dead Cat get rid of all your soul hearts and black hearts too when it sets your health to 1? I kind of need to know right now because I'm in the Dark Room and

edit: According to the wiki it only leaves them if your health gets reduced to 1. If you already have only 1 heart container it'll get rid of them all instead of taking your last heart container away. drat!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Nov 22, 2014

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
So apparently my first Eden run was meant to be a success because I was given Epic Fetus on the first floor and Pyro on the second.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

goodness posted:

I don't want to get Technology in this situation right?

It's probably too late but ludovico + technology is actually really good. It damages everything in the circle instead of just what touches the edge. It will do less damage per hit, but it seemed worth it the one time I had it.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

gently caress this gay earth

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

CJacobs posted:

Does picking up the Dead Cat get rid of all your soul hearts and black hearts too when it sets your health to 1? I kind of need to know right now because I'm in the Dark Room and

edit: According to the wiki it only leaves them if your health gets reduced to 1. If you already have only 1 heart container it'll get rid of them all instead of taking your last heart container away. drat!

You have one read heart, with any other 1 heart deal you'd just drop to all soul hearts. This is a free devil deal essentially.

e: But you should reroll it since you already have flying

Felix_Cat
Sep 15, 2008
Normally you don't get to go up against the final boss because you don't get the angel rooms. I managed to get the angel rooms but not have any bombs for one of them.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ugh, another run without any angel rooms. It's not over yet, but I'm in the boss rush room so there's only one place left for one to spawn. I hate how you have to get the key every time you want to fight Mega Satan. The boss rush item pool is really good though, Gnawed Leaf, Crown of Thorns, the Hourglass, and the D20. I'll probably end up with the Leaf but I'm tempted by the extra damage even though I don't need it at this point.

TheModernAmerican posted:

You have one read heart, with any other 1 heart deal you'd just drop to all soul hearts. This is a free devil deal essentially.

e: But you should reroll it since you already have flying

Guppy mode isn't just for flying, you also get the super Mulligan effect. It's worth it even if you're Azazel or picked up some method of flight already as another character.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Finally got a good Lost run that allowed me to beat Mom's Heart, Isaac and Blue baby. Got Stopwatch in an early shop and then Dead cat in a Curse room. That alone would've been enough but I also got Holy Mantle in an Angel room. Combined with decent damage upgrades I was able to get through the game no problem. Unfortunately wasn't fast enough for the boss rush though.

Also I think I have a new appreciation for Tiny Planet. With some damage upgrades(and no Soy milk) you can really wreck rooms and bosses with it.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Walrus Pete posted:

It's probably too late but ludovico + technology is actually really good. It damages everything in the circle instead of just what touches the edge. It will do less damage per hit, but it seemed worth it the one time I had it.

I retried and got the technology, but all it did was make the huge laser circle a tiny laser circle. Seemed to make it harder to hit things honestly.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
beat my first eden run with the cursed eye :haw:

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Why can't I get a good Magdelene run :negative:

I have not got 1 tear "upgrade" besides technology in the 10+ times I have tried. And technology sucks anyway

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Kawalimus posted:

Is there a link to how to do the Monster Manuel stuff?

There's Options is good but it's pretty uncommon to show up in the shop, so having that and Book of Revs show up when it needs to is pretty much as unlikely as getting it legit.

Here's pieces of the process I outlined earlier based on seeing Richard_Hammer going through it all on stream:

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Sharp Plug plus The Wafer is the most efficient reroll engine, since it allows you to do one reroll for a half a heart. You need to avoid the 9-Volt though because the Sharp Plug only works on completely empty spacebar gauge items. Get those two things, take Isaac and the D6 to the Chest, then go reroll crazy. You'll probably want to acquire the D20 and then use that to generate more chests in rooms. You'll need a way to infinitely heal in the same room, which can also be accomplished with the D20 and something like Pyromaniac plus a ton of bombs or Epic Fetus or Ipecac. Finally, when you start Monster Manueling, you can't leave the room or they all go away, so make sure you can go infinite before you start.

That Richard_Hammer guy actually did that whole process on stream earlier for both Super Meat Boy and Super Bandage Girl in the same run, so you could look through his stream archive if you need a reference.

To summarize, you want the most efficient reroll engine possible and some way to make sure you can reroll an arbitrarily large number of times (hence the Pyromaniac healing),

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

Manatee Cannon posted:

Guppy mode isn't just for flying, you also get the super Mulligan effect. It's worth it even if you're Azazel or picked up some method of flight already as another character.

I'm aware. I'd rather see a potential damage up if I had no other guppy pieces. If he was 2/3, then he should have definitely taken it.

Through multiple 48 hour energy pills and a judgement card I managed to get ipecac and pyromaniac in the same room. That was the easiest run possible, I'd assume. Just running forward and pingponging off of everything.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Finished Eden, unlocked The Lost. All that remains are his runs and a hard mode kill for each character. I'll probably save The Lost for last because I'm anticipating hell.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
So it turns out that the old burrowing white head worm dudes in Womb can now pop up directly under you, doing damage before you can do anything. I literally never had that happen in original BoI, and they seem to be coded to do it a % of the time. Unlocked Dad's Key at least, but I had a fun run up until I lost five hearts in two rooms to those, you know, non-boss enemies that have guaranteed damage. :bravo:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
??? can also pop up right underneath you, it's really bullshit. You gotta keep moving to make sure it doesn't happen.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
I just had a run completely saved by the 3 roll on the dice room. I was down to 2 red hearts and half a soul heart but I also had the lucky rock and dark bum so I had been blowing up the entire cathedral area looking for hearts so I had left roughly 50 coins all throughout the floor. Rolled the dice room and ended up with 6 red hearts and 4 or 5 soul hearts and a sun card.

Keep in mind this was with Dr. Fetus which is quite possibly the most disappointing item in the new version. It just sucks. I understand that in the original it was a bit overpowered but taking 2 or 3 hits to kill normal enemies in the Womb+ becomes a challenge.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Finally done Suicide King. Totally cheesed Womb+ due to Placenta regen and a lot of HP ups. Now onto Solar System :negative:

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

RatHat posted:

??? can also pop up right underneath you, it's really bullshit. You gotta keep moving to make sure it doesn't happen.

That's an item called the Ankh and it's supposed to happen. If you hadn't picked it up, you just would've died. It's for the best.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

LaughMyselfTo posted:

That's an item called the Ankh and it's supposed to happen. If you hadn't picked it up, you just would've died. It's for the best.

What? He's talking about the fight against ???.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

goodness posted:

I just found Mutant Spider. Will there be 4 Ludovico circles now?

You get one circle with 3 smaller circles circling it, from my experience.
(What a great roll from a reroll room that was. :allears:)

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Yeah, I have no idea where you got that from. He's talking about how ??? can warp directly on top of you, not dying with the Ankh and becoming the blue baby yourself. Though as to that, it's not hard at all to move out of the way of ??? dropping on your head, the problem is that it's speed dependent. If you're slow it doesn't matter how fast you react, you're taking the hit.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Can you play the heart devil beggars as the lost? I had a run yesterday as dead baby where I could play them for free, but I dont want to risk anything as the lost really.

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004
You know I would try to think of something funny to put here but ill just pass on that and threaten people with a + 2 board with a nail in it.
Golden scythes are pretty baller, ya know?

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

goodness posted:

I retried and got the technology, but all it did was make the huge laser circle a tiny laser circle. Seemed to make it harder to hit things honestly.

Maybe that combo reacts poorly to brimstone, or Azazel in particular, or I had something else that made it rad? :iiam:

All I know for sure is that I had (among other things) ludovico and tech and it was a fun time v:shobon:v

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

FrickenMoron posted:

Can you play the heart devil beggars as the lost? I had a run yesterday as dead baby where I could play them for free, but I dont want to risk anything as the lost really.

No. You also can't use curse rooms (unless you have invincibility leaving through holy mantle/unicorn horn/etc), blood donation machines, or sacrifice rooms. Also the sharp plug will kill you instantly, as will all other items that take your health to use.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Locke Dunnegan posted:

So it turns out that the old burrowing white head worm dudes in Womb can now pop up directly under you, doing damage before you can do anything. I literally never had that happen in original BoI, and they seem to be coded to do it a % of the time. Unlocked Dad's Key at least, but I had a fun run up until I lost five hearts in two rooms to those, you know, non-boss enemies that have guaranteed damage. :bravo:

When are you ever standing still in this game? I have never had a problem getting hit by those enemies.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

RatHat posted:

Pin can also do this. Not too big of an issue for most characters, but the Lost...

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005
http://twitch.tv/richard_hammer

Get in here, quick!

e: nm

Dick had a quasi-breaking run with sad bombs, my reflection, quad shot, cac, scapular, and some other other healing items I don't remember and giantass tears. He had just laid a massive pile of bombs to start pinballing around a room, but apparently leaving the room and reentering syncs the bombs so everything just detonated in unison :(

Xenogenesis fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Nov 22, 2014

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I found a potentially exploitable trick for generating a massive amount of items. As an alternative to the D6 infinite reroll earlier, if you have a similar setup with the undefined item (Have a means of generating item pips), you have a high chance of being sent to the error room. If you are sent to the error room at the chest, the beam of light it will take you back to the chest- but the whole floor is refreshed. Any items you've taken will be replaced with new items.

It still requires quite a lot of circumstance to line up, and isn't quite as easy or efficient as the D6 method, but if you luck into it- why not?

On another note- just got Dead Boy :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
Two runs tonight I've missed out on Dead Boy because of ???'s teleporting on top of me. :argh: