Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

on the left posted:

What a world we live in that 710 isn't enough on the GMAT. Admissions people will recommend that you take the test over again if you aren't happy, but 710 is on the right side of 700, and right in the middle of most top school's 80% range. Only a few schools have an average GMAT higher than 710.

That being said, I think quite a few schools might pause when looking at a sub-45 quant score. If you can max out your quant, you could easily put up a monster score. I got the same 44V, but a 48Q and got a 750. The curve for quant is utterly destroyed: 48Q is 74th %, and 43Q is 56th %.

That's part of my concern, yeah. The verbal is great, but 56% percentile on the math is pretty bleh.

In Canada none of the schools have an average above ~650-700 as far as I can tell (some don't report), so it's not like I think I'd be coming in below average.

I guess I have time to figure it out; I'm looking at 2016. I wanted to make sure I had time to retake if I needed to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I'm going to a schmooze-fest at a restaurant for prospective students of my potential program. What should I expect? It's at an icehouse for some reason.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

It ended up being fun! Maybe ten prospective students and twelve school staff, including the Dr. in charge of the program and the head of admissions and their immediate staff. It seems like a fantastic school, I even won a $500 scholarship in the drawing at the end of the night.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Does anyone have any good recommendations for videos or books that would be good to start preparing for business school? I'm coming from an engineering background with only a macro/micro economics class that would have any relation to business school. I have a bunch of free time right now to prepare as much as I can.

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014

huhu posted:

Does anyone have any good recommendations for videos or books that would be good to start preparing for business school? I'm coming from an engineering background with only a macro/micro economics class that would have any relation to business school. I have a bunch of free time right now to prepare as much as I can.

What kind of program are you doing? concentration?

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014
Sorry for the double post. My phone was being weird.

posh spaz fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 10, 2014

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga
vOv read a syllabus of your core classes and look through things?

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.

Pissingintowind posted:

Rejected with no interview at Wharton! :smithicide:

Just goes to show you that nothing is ever certain, even when your numbers look like they should be good enough. I'll have to make sure not to gently caress up the HBS interview next week...

In case anyone is interested, the HBS interview was rather odd. Instead of a bunch of behavioral questions, we spent a very long time talking about the technical details around how my company operates. I don't feel great about it, but we'll see what happens.

Also, I received a Stanford interview invite, which puts me at 2/3 interview hits on my applications! :D

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

So it seems my plans have changed, I have been accepted to Harvard's MBA program. have any other MBA goons went and if so, what was your experience?

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

keykey posted:

So it seems my plans have changed, I have been accepted to Harvard's MBA program. have any other MBA goons went and if so, what was your experience?

drat dude, that owns.

I'd thoroughly recommend this book below if you want a precis of the experience. Even though I didn't go to Harvard (not even american either) it really helped prep for the MBA program in general:

http://www.amazon.com/What-Teach-Harvard-Business-School/dp/0141046481

I do recommend taking it with a grain of salt though.

Here's another article that is really helpful too. Again, grain of salt:

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2006/06/the-management-myth/304883/?single_page=true

Les Affaires fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Nov 13, 2014

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

keykey posted:

Holy moly, nice job.

Any Canadians here? Did you stay in Canada to do your MBA, did you go to the states / abroad?

I did one of those tour visit things and I'm feeling much more confident this is the right choice for me (and that they'll accept my application despite the path I've taken), so now it's about picking the programs to focus on.

E: also, redoing the GMAT and paying for structured help. Anyone have experience with online tutoring specifically on quant only?

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Nov 13, 2014

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

keykey posted:

Have taken a few classes there and work with one of the profs, but haven't actually been in an MBA program. I really liked the classes though.

The decision science lab is also one of the coolest b school departments in the nation imo. Harvard has a super strong behavioral Econ dept and it bleeds over.

As far as networking and signaling goes it's probably the best place to go other than maybe the GSB, so it seems like a pretty sensible place to go given the point of business school.

keykey posted:

Wasn't in an mba program there.

But, I've taken classes there, researched there, work with an hbs prof now, and have plenty of friends + coworkers who went there so I'm pretty familiar. I think the classes were really good (negotiation especially) and the profs are amazing. The decision lab is one of the coolest research centers at any b school imo. Students there are super entrepreneurial.

Basically I'm a fan. Probably would only consider the gsb over it personally and that would be tough. (Pretending I was able to get in to either for a moment)

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006

keykey posted:

Congrats, man! Hopefully I'll be your classmate this upcoming year.

How did you hear back early? My understanding was that decisions come out December 10th.

Frost000
Jan 10, 2004

Jordan7hm posted:

Holy moly, nice job.

Any Canadians here? Did you stay in Canada to do your MBA, did you go to the states / abroad?

I did one of those tour visit things and I'm feeling much more confident this is the right choice for me (and that they'll accept my application despite the path I've taken), so now it's about picking the programs to focus on.

Canadian with a non-traditional background here. I decided to do it outside of Canada because part of me wanted an international experience and, well, I didn't want to stay and work in Canada afterwards. The only Canadian program I was looking into was McGill and if I remember the stats correctly, 90% of graduates stay in Canada. So it's a great and high ranked program for those who want to live in Montreal and stay in Canada afterwards but not so great for those wanting to potentially work elsewhere.

I'm doing my MBA in the UK and am pretty happy so far!

skystream92
Jul 1, 2007
Would like some opinions from goons. I've been studying hard for the GMAT, but I'm also somewhat questioning the value of an MBA for me, and it mostly comes down to an ROI/finance thing more than anything else.

I'm 27 years old, and I currently pull in 92k without OT or bonuses. I really want to do either management, or management consulting. A big driver for me is that I love leadership. I love building teams, working with and developing strategy, developing PEOPLE (by far my favorite). I can see all of these linking directly with getting an MBA and either becoming a manager or a consultant.

But from a money perspective, I'm not sure how much I'll lose out long run when looking at the fact I'm probably giving up ~200k over two years in salary, then another ~200k in tuition paid (assuming going to a M7 school). Best case scenario is if I can get into the Sloan LGO program, my company will likely sponsor me to go and pay for everything. The other option is to go to a local university and get my MBA there (local ranked top 30).

What do you guys think? Obviously my first choice would be to do well enough to get a sponsorship to go to Sloan, but otherwise, would it be worth it to leave the job to pursue an MBA on my own dime (assuming its a top5-10 school)?

skystream92 fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Nov 15, 2014

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch

skystream92 posted:

Would like some opinions from goons. I've been studying hard for the GMAT, but I'm also somewhat questioning the value of an MBA for me, and it mostly comes down to an ROI/finance thing more than anything else.

I'm 27 years old, and I currently pull in 92k without OT or bonuses. I really want to do either management, or management consulting. A big driver for me is that I love leadership. I love building teams, working with and developing strategy, developing PEOPLE (by far my favorite). I can see all of these linking directly with getting an MBA and either becoming a manager or a consultant.

But from a money perspective, I'm not sure how much I'll lose out long run when looking at the fact I'm probably giving up ~200k over two years in salary, then another ~200k in tuition paid (assuming going to a M7 school). Best case scenario is if I can get into the Sloan LGO program, my company will likely sponsor me to go and pay for everything. The other option is to go to a local university and get my MBA there (local ranked top 30).

What do you guys think? Obviously my first choice would be to do well enough to get a sponsorship to go to Sloan, but otherwise, would it be worth it to leave the job to pursue an MBA on my own dime (assuming its a top5-10 school)?

I would lean towards the local school, evening program. The most useful thing out of the program might just be the letters. If you are already networking, making a nice salary, I don't think your upward mobility is going to get handicapped because you didn't go to Sloan or Wharton. I might be biased because that's what I'm doing, albeit there was no large salary to sacrifice. I would think many local MBA programs would offer an evening program for employed students, and you can take 2 classes a semester. If you have a great reimbursement from your job, you take the classes that most interest you at the same time, and feel out your program.

But then again, I go to a filthy state school for free.

tabris
Feb 17, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I'm currently in the first year of an MPP program at the University of Michigan. I've been hearing a lot of people talk about dual degrees here, including an MBA from the Ross School. Would anyone here happen to know more about the specific advantages and disadvantages of a dual MBA/MPP, and what specializations/careers this would work for.

Econosaurus
Sep 22, 2008

Successfully predicted nine of the last five recessions

tabris posted:

I'm currently in the first year of an MPP program at the University of Michigan. I've been hearing a lot of people talk about dual degrees here, including an MBA from the Ross School. Would anyone here happen to know more about the specific advantages and disadvantages of a dual MBA/MPP, and what specializations/careers this would work for.

The one Ford/Ross student I knew ended up at Goldman Sachs. There honestly doesn't seem to be much overlap, but I know a few students use Ford as a way to get into the law/business schools.

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
One of my Spring electives is in jeopardy of being cancelled - so long Global Supply Chain Management.

I have two options to choose from as a replacement, and I was hoping that I could gauge some feedback as to which would be more enjoyable and beneficial in the long run.

Option 1: Principles of Real Estate
Class is an overview of the real estate industry and all aspects of selling and buying property.

Option 2: From Idea to Business - Incubator
Class has you launch a project/business plan and see how far you can go with it.

Frost000
Jan 10, 2004

courtney_beth posted:

One of my Spring electives is in jeopardy of being cancelled - so long Global Supply Chain Management.

I have two options to choose from as a replacement, and I was hoping that I could gauge some feedback as to which would be more enjoyable and beneficial in the long run.

Option 1: Principles of Real Estate
Class is an overview of the real estate industry and all aspects of selling and buying property.

Option 2: From Idea to Business - Incubator
Class has you launch a project/business plan and see how far you can go with it.

Obvious answer is that it depends. Which one would be most beneficial for your career post-MBA?

I had a similar choice to make for my electives recently. I chose against taking a New Venture Creation elective since it required you to already have your idea and even at least part of your business plan. I'd love to maybe have my own business one day but that's a really long term goal of mine.

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
Neither class helps what I want to do in the future, but staying an extra semester to get another marketing class is not feasible for many reasons that I won't go into.

That said, I get the vibe of what you're saying and the real estate class may help when I'm ready to buy a house.

Thanks for helping me make a decision!

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

Quandary posted:

Does anyone have any thoughts on deferred MBA programs? I'm currently in the final year of a undergraduate degree, double majoring in Electrical Engineerinng and Engineering Physics and I have a job in the oil and gas industry lined up after graduation from internships. I know that I some point I definitely want to get involved more in the business side of the industry so I'd imagine I'll want an MBA at some point. My debate is whether it's worth getting into a deferred program like Harvard's 2x2 deferred enrollment program. I have a pretty strong resume right now (3.8 GPA, lots of experience in both industry internships, physics research, as well as a year working as a non-profit consultant through a university program) and I feel that there's a decent chance I'd have a better job getting into a top program now than down the line.

Does anyone have any experience with those sort of programs that they can tell me a bit about? Beyond that, is it even worth it to bother trying to get an MBA if I already have a lucrative big oil engineering job lined up or is it better to just stick with what I have and try to move into the business side more naturally?

Posted this a while back and didn't get any feedback. Anyone?

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014

Quandary posted:

I'm not really sure why you're wondering if you should go to HBS. Most people would be thrilled to get an MBA from Harvard, so I guess do that if you want to? Or don't, if you don't want to? I really don't get what you're asking.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006

posh spaz posted:

I'm not really sure why you're wondering if you should go to HBS. Most people would be thrilled to get an MBA from Harvard, so I guess do that if you want to? Or don't, if you don't want to? I really don't get what you're asking.

I always think it's funny when people ask if they "should" go to HBS or anther top school when their chances of actually getting in are incredibly small.

A top tier MBA is almost always a good investment (not necessarily a financial one). It's getting in that's the hard part.

Frost000
Jan 10, 2004

Quandary posted:

I'm really no expert but I'd probably just concentrate on finishing my undergraduate programs first. If you know that an MBA is a potential possibility in the future, just do your best to get the highest GPA you can.

I think the decision to do (or not do) an MBA will come after you've spent some time getting some real work experience. Personally, back when I was doing my BA, I had no clue I would one day get my MBA. Hell, I didn't even know what an MBA was. So in that respect, you've already covered a lot of bases that others take years to do.

So if after a year or two of working you feel like you could do better or you feel like management might be more to your liking (or anything else an MBA can help with), then go for it. If you feel content with your place in the work force and don't feel the need to spend the money and the 2 years out of work needed to get the MBA, then don't do it.

Whatever your choice, I'm sure it'll feel right in due time.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

Quandary posted:

Yeah, apply.

Rums
Jan 1, 2008
I've gone pretty much my entire life NOT milking this, but I feel now may be the time to start: Should I include in my essay that I'm gay? Does the whole diversity thing schools are going for apply to LGB people, or am I just going to be considered the same as the other white males?

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

Rums posted:

I've gone pretty much my entire life NOT milking this, but I feel now may be the time to start: Should I include in my essay that I'm gay? Does the whole diversity thing schools are going for apply to LGB people, or am I just going to be considered the same as the other white males?

Admissions for top end schools love gays. You might also want to throw some of the other lgbt stuff in there too since for most its a points system and each different letter of the gay alphabet is +1, etc.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt
Anyone ever have to deal with a spouse and some of these schools in remote areas? I am applying to Dartmouth as one of my 7 schools, but my wife is pretty intensely against moving to a place like Hanover. Dartmouth is probably the worst location of any of the top schools, but I guess schools like UVA and Cornell also have this issue in lesser quantities.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I followed my spouse to Providence, RI and Overland Park, KS and I regret it. Dartmouth is a million times better than those places, though.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!

on the left posted:

Anyone ever have to deal with a spouse and some of these schools in remote areas? I am applying to Dartmouth as one of my 7 schools, but my wife is pretty intensely against moving to a place like Hanover. Dartmouth is probably the worst location of any of the top schools, but I guess schools like UVA and Cornell also have this issue in lesser quantities.

Yeah, never been to Hanover or Cornell, but Charlottesville isn't some squalid 'holler'. There's enough to do there, and you're not some insurmountable distance from Nova and DC.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

Geizkragen posted:

Yeah, never been to Hanover or Cornell, but Charlottesville isn't some squalid 'holler'. There's enough to do there, and you're not some insurmountable distance from Nova and DC.

I'm not really worried about stuff to do, more about my spouse who intends to work while I go to school. It seems a bit far from Northern Virginia and other good places to get a job.

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014
How long is your program? If your relationship is solid you could do a long-distance thing for the 9-months or whatever it is for a standard program. It's not ideal, but if she has a job she really likes it would probably be worth it.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!
Depends on what your spouse does. There's plenty of jobs in c-ville : education, health care, service, etc

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

Aliquid posted:

I followed my spouse to Providence, RI and Overland Park, KS and I regret it. Dartmouth is a million times better than those places, though.

Providence isn't that bad and is commutable from boston though.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

posh spaz posted:

How long is your program? If your relationship is solid you could do a long-distance thing for the 9-months or whatever it is for a standard program. It's not ideal, but if she has a job she really likes it would probably be worth it.

2 years. I am hoping to do the long distance thing only for the length of an internship.

Geizkragen posted:

Depends on what your spouse does. There's plenty of jobs in c-ville : education, health care, service, etc

That's good to know. Darden is one of the schools I am strongly interested in.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Rejected by Stanford today. Stings especially badly since reaching the interview stage was supposedly a 50:50 shot...

edit: in at HBS! That erases the Stanford sting.

Pissingintowind fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Dec 10, 2014

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~

Pissingintowind posted:

Rejected by Stanford today. Stings especially badly since reaching the interview stage was supposedly a 50:50 shot...

Congratulations! I'll come to you for a job in 10 years time.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Pissingintowind posted:

That's a pretty great consolation prize, congrats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
So I was just accepted by two schools and am waiting to hear back from a third. Problem is, I'm not entirely sure if I'll be able to attend the next academic school year - does anyone know or have information on the process for deferring by one year? I plan to reach out to the schools next week and I want to have some background before doing so.