Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Pictures of large tears are always fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Holy CRAP, Family Man is a loving slog. It's not even especially difficult it just takes loving forever. Even if you get more familiars, they all fire at the exact same speed which cannot be increased and do damage which is independent from your damage stat and it's just maddening.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

It turns out if you time it right and have the Jump book, you can jump out of the way of Isaac's room spamming beams. Maybe I just got lucky. After I killed him, the beginning of the Chest had a Forget Me Now in it. Eight gold chests y'all.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Holy CRAP, Family Man is a loving slog. It's not even especially difficult it just takes loving forever. Even if you get more familiars, they all fire at the exact same speed which cannot be increased and do damage which is independent from your damage stat and it's just maddening.

Pretty sure rotten baby's flies do damage based on your tear strength. Rotten baby is OP.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Grapplejack posted:

Pretty sure rotten baby's flies do damage based on your tear strength. Rotten baby is OP.

That guy and Lil' Brimstone are the only good familiars.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Also, why did this happen? Is this what the Ace of Spades does or is this some kind of very rare Cellar room where they dump useful poo poo on you? :stare:

(Ludovico was unfortunately useless because of the blindfold :negative:)

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Dry Baby blocks enemy fire and attacks with the Necronomicon; you can beat Isaac by standing behind the little guy and waiting.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

CJacobs posted:

Also, why did this happen? Is this what the Ace of Spades does or is this some kind of very rare Cellar room where they dump useful poo poo on you? :stare:

(Ludovico was unfortunately useless because of the blindfold :negative:)

I think you just got reeeeeally good RNG. That room normally has hearts/keys/coins/etc in those corners.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Waffle! posted:

It turns out if you time it right and have the Jump book, you can jump out of the way of Isaac's room spamming beams. Maybe I just got lucky. After I killed him, the beginning of the Chest had a Forget Me Now in it. Eight gold chests y'all.

You can avoid the beams by going to the corners: I think it hits them sometimes, but you're usually safe there.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Iny posted:

Dry Baby blocks enemy fire and attacks with the Necronomicon; you can beat Isaac by standing behind the little guy and waiting.

Dry baby is always a welcome sight. He and rotten baby are the best familiars.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Mongo Baby fires at twice the speed of the other familiars, Lil' Gish has a reliable slow shot, and then there's Bob's Brain and BBF which do absurd damage coupled with BFF.

(BFF + Rotten Baby is nuts, he pumps out flies twice as fast.)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Thank freakin god. gently caress this awful boring slog of a challenge. Rotten Baby ended up being the only useful one but man did that triple shot-blocking aura come in handy.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I find secret rooms are much easier to locate in Rebirth than the original BoI. I don't claim to have info gleamed from the source code, but based on my experiences from ~130h I've found a pretty reliable method to locate the secret rooms. Also note that just like the original BoI, the first floor secret rooms seem to follow their own set of special rules that boil down to 'gently caress you, good luck sucker.'

Secret Rooms:
Must have at least 2 adjacent rooms, prefers to spawn with 3-4 adjacent rooms and not adjacent to the boss room when possible. Must have valid exits on all sides. A valid exit is reachable without requiring flying or bombs, and for basement/cellar can never be a room with moving spikes.

Let's look at a floor with what appears to have a lot of secret room candidates.

Right away we can scratch 2 positions off, a secret room can't have valid exits into this room.

Next candidate has 2 adjacent special rooms, which are always valid exits. The 3rd exit is also valid, so this could be our secret room!

Last of all, we can see there is no valid exit above so this candidate is also not our secret room. Which leaves us with only 1 valid location.

Tada!

Super Secret Rooms:
Must be adjacent to only a single room, seems to prefer spawning in the room closest to the boss. Not always easy to locate, especially on later floors.

Start with the room right before the boss. Well there's certainly no valid exits in this room!

The left side of this room is the next closest location, but again no valid exit.

The next location with no other adjacent rooms is 3 rooms away from the boss room! But it's the closet possible location so...

Tada!

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

I highly recommend this run: 0L68 VVS7

It starts out kinda unspectacular on the first floor (but there's a small rock in the tinted rock in the room on the left). Next floor has goat head if you reroll the devil room, but not much else. Caves I has death's touch in the item room, caves II has chocolate milk. Then guppy's tail in the challenge room in necroplis I rerolls into polyphemus, and the run is pretty much won already. Later highlights include: Eve's mascara, large odd mushroom, blood clot (from a rock in utero) and proptosis. I think I picked up abaddon and some other poo poo too, I'm not even sure. The resulting scythes are ridiculously large and clear out most rooms instantly:

You can't really see the scythes in the pics, so here's a video. I didn't start recording before the cathedral, but that's when things started getting really crazy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpcQwBafi3E

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

CJacobs posted:

This is how I feel about The Tank. Or hell, all of the challenges. The true challenge is your patience.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Sanctum posted:

I find secret rooms are much easier to locate in Rebirth than the original BoI. I don't claim to have info gleamed from the source code, but based on my experiences from ~130h I've found a pretty reliable method to locate the secret rooms. Also note that just like the original BoI, the first floor secret rooms seem to follow their own set of special rules that boil down to 'gently caress you, good luck sucker.'

Secret Rooms:
Must have at least 2 adjacent rooms, prefers to spawn with 3-4 adjacent rooms and not adjacent to the boss room when possible. Must have valid exits on all sides. A valid exit is reachable without requiring flying or bombs, and for basement/cellar can never be a room with moving spikes.

Let's look at a floor with what appears to have a lot of secret room candidates.

Right away we can scratch 2 positions off, a secret room can't have valid exits into this room.

Next candidate has 2 adjacent special rooms, which are always valid exits. The 3rd exit is also valid, so this could be our secret room!

Last of all, we can see there is no valid exit above so this candidate is also not our secret room. Which leaves us with only 1 valid location.

Tada!

Super Secret Rooms:
Must be adjacent to only a single room, seems to prefer spawning in the room closest to the boss. Not always easy to locate, especially on later floors.

Start with the room right before the boss. Well there's certainly no valid exits in this room!

The left side of this room is the next closest location, but again no valid exit.

The next location with no other adjacent rooms is 3 rooms away from the boss room! But it's the closet possible location so...

Tada!

I'm pretty sure this was suggested in the original BoI thread, at least it's the formula I've been using since back then anyway. Still useful for those who are unaware though. I really appreciate that there's a formula to it at all, especially now that secret rooms are no longer nearly guaranteed to give a free powerup.

e: I'm not so sure about the "must have valid exits on all sides" part, I'm like 75% sure I've had secret rooms with at least one invalid exit (I. E. You can exit/enter via only 1-3 out of several adjacent rooms) but I could absolutely be wrong. This should be easier to test on larger maps. I have nothing to back up my claim though, so I won't fight anyone on this.

Nastyman fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Nov 22, 2014

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
Knowing how secret rooms are generated in Rebirth is pretty nice, since you can find them pretty regularly once you know what to look for, but at the same time Secret Rooms are now so very crap that it hardly feels worth the effort to track them down on larger floors.

In other news of "poo poo that got nerfed", pills are a huge bitch this time around. Lucky Foot was nerfed, so you'd think PhD would be a stellar item to get for anyone now, right? Hah, not so. I got PhD on the first floor of a run before I'd even seen any pills. My pill loadout ended up being R U A Wizard, Telepills, Bad Gas, 48 hour Energy, I Can See Forever! (which was assigned to two pills for some goddamn reason), Paralysis and finally Luck Up.

Why the absolute gently caress are R U A Wizard and Paralysis counted as good pill effects? That's bullshit. I still cleared that run but what an absolute waste of an item if all that crap is counted as "positive" for the purposes of PhD.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Sanctum posted:

Must have valid exits on all sides. A valid exit is reachable without requiring flying or bombs, and for basement/cellar can never be a room with moving spikes.

This statement here is the reason it is easier to find secret rooms in this game- less guesswork because you can rule out some rooms due to impossible patterns.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Why the absolute gently caress are R U A Wizard and Paralysis counted as good pill effects? That's bullshit. I still cleared that run but what an absolute waste of an item if all that crap is counted as "positive" for the purposes of PhD.

PhD doesn't guarantee positive pill effects, it just removes the negative ones. Paralysis and R U are neutral and unless you're popping unknown pills mid-fight or are trying for boss rush, neither does permanent harm.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Knowing how secret rooms are generated in Rebirth is pretty nice, since you can find them pretty regularly once you know what to look for, but at the same time Secret Rooms are now so very crap that it hardly feels worth the effort to track them down on larger floors.

In other news of "poo poo that got nerfed", pills are a huge bitch this time around. Lucky Foot was nerfed, so you'd think PhD would be a stellar item to get for anyone now, right? Hah, not so. I got PhD on the first floor of a run before I'd even seen any pills. My pill loadout ended up being R U A Wizard, Telepills, Bad Gas, 48 hour Energy, I Can See Forever! (which was assigned to two pills for some goddamn reason), Paralysis and finally Luck Up.

I wonder if amnesia is considered a negative pill and gets turned into I Can See Forever! when you have the PHD. They serve similar but opposing functions, with amnesia getting you lost and I Can See Forever! helping you find secret rooms. That would explain why you had it on two different pills.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I wish I knew why I was having such a hard time getting to Satan (again) as Azazel just so I can die to him :(

I can restart my run as many times as I want without dying and it won't break the chain, right?

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Actually, the attack fly that's spawned from the rotten baby you have is based on your damage stat. I managed to beat the challenge through taking almost every damage upgrade I could, and then lucking out and getting Guppy's head to speed things up.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Slime posted:

I wonder if amnesia is considered a negative pill and gets turned into I Can See Forever! when you have the PHD.
It is, and it does.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

So it turns out that if you have Mom's Knife and the Gnawed Leaf, the Lamb will kill himself on you before he even enters his second phase. And that's one run closer to never having to play ??? again! :) (I still feel I earned that one, though - the Gnawed Leaf only showed from to a key beggar in a secret room towards the end of the Dark Room...)

Genocyber posted:

Pin can also do this. Not too big of an issue for most characters, but the Lost...
I have literally never had this happen to me. I think you're guaranteed to be safe as long as you hug the edges of the room.

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008
What's the longest people have gone without finding a key on normal? I just went through about 22 rooms

E: Also here is a synergy that looks badass but is probably not a good idea to take: Tiny planet and fire mind

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

Ghost Head posted:

What's the longest people have gone without finding a key on normal? I just went through about 22 rooms

I'm not sure about keys, but I had a run yesterday where I went from basement 2 to womb 2 without finding any bombs. I had the humble bundle item too and so I ended up finding over 30 keys in the time it took for me to find a single bomb.

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008

Literal Nazi Furry posted:

I'm not sure about keys, but I had a run yesterday where I went from basement 2 to womb 2 without finding any bombs. I had the humble bundle item too and so I ended up finding over 30 keys in the time it took for me to find a single bomb.

I would be loving raging if this happened to me

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Man, this game is so much better now that I replaced the music with the old versions.

I've only got hard mode chest clears with Eve, ??? and Lazarus left until I've officially done everything that's been recorded in this game!

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Kanfy posted:

Paralysis and R U are neutral and unless you're popping unknown pills mid-fight or are trying for boss rush, neither does permanent harm.

Both suck and neither should be considered neutral, one screws up your aiming and the other prevents movement. How is that not a bad thing? The huge amount of neutral pills that just suck makes PhD really kinda poo poo.

SuccinctAndPunchy fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Nov 22, 2014

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Both suck and neither should be considered neutral, one screws up your aiming and the other prevents movement. How is that not a bad thing? The huge amount of neutral pills that really just suck makes PhD really kinda poo poo.
PhD isn't really poo poo by any stretch, though it's true there's plenty of lovely neutral pills. Then again, you can have bad luck with otherwise good pills too.
I just had a run with PhD in which I got nothing but Luck Up pills (three different colored pills were that). It's amazing how little use luck is if it's all you have. Though, In case of luck it's kind of hard to tell how much it actually helps.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Dude PHD (and Cain) were so broken in the original that I beat the game ten times in less than an hour at one point.

It's balanced now and that's fine.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

PhD is basically really good if you have Tears Down in your game (and maybe Luck Down? Dunno how strong Luck is).

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Irony Be My Shield posted:

PhD is basically really good if you have Tears Down in your game (and maybe Luck Down? Dunno how strong Luck is).

Well...

IGgy IGsen posted:

I just had a run with PhD in which I got nothing but Luck Up pills (three different colored pills were that). It's amazing how little use luck is if it's all you have. Though, In case of luck it's kind of hard to tell how much it actually helps.

I dunno, I didn't seem to benefit from it a lot. I might have gotten a little more stuff out of chests, but again, it's hard to tell how much luck actually helps. I should have saved the seed and just gone through it without using any of the pills to see.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The one effect I noticed when I filled my luck bar was getting like 6 revivals off of Guppy's Collar in a row, although that might have been a fluke.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Both suck and neither should be considered neutral, one screws up your aiming and the other prevents movement. How is that not a bad thing? The huge amount of neutral pills that just suck makes PhD really kinda poo poo.

Ultimately neither of those pills have any effect if you use them in an empty room, RU just wastes a bit of your time as you wait it out. They're not outright harmful the way stat down, Bad Trip or Amnesia pills are.

Also consider it like this, without PhD most people try out every pill and usually get at least one or two stat downs from them. Avoiding two such pills with PhD already makes it worth two stat ups, and even more if a stat down pill becomes a stat up pill instead. PhD is fine especially for an initial unlock and there are many less useful pickups you can find.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

IGgy IGsen posted:

PhD isn't really poo poo by any stretch, though it's true there's plenty of lovely neutral pills. Then again, you can have bad luck with otherwise good pills too.

I think Luck's main use is increasing the likelihood of tear effects proccing (such as charm shot from Mom's Eyeshadow).

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Basically as far as I know the PhD does the following:
Range down -> Range up (who cares)
Luck down -> Luck up (who knows)
Health down -> Health up (pretty sweet)
Tears down -> Tears up (awesome)
Amnesia -> I See Everything (pretty decent, not a gamechanger)
Bad Trip -> Full Health (ok I guess, but you can use Bad Trip as a Full Health anyway)

And then the identification effect lets you maybe save a Full Health and a 48 Hour Energy that you'd otherwise waste, and maybe avoid dicking yourself over with a Bombs Are Key. Not too bad for what is usually a shop item, but a lot of the value is dependent on you having either Tears Down or Health Down in your game.

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

All cans are welcome and equal in your city, regardless of can content, and whether empty or full.
9RDP
0CVB

Here's a really great Eve seed. You get Holy Mantle and the Nail on Basement 2 and then it just snowballs from there. I had 12 soul hearts for almost the entire game.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Um... I just bought this game. Is there a performance issue? The game is running at literally 1FPS, maxing out 1 CPU core, so it's completely unplayable. This is on my i5 760GTX gaming rig. Can't find anything on Google. Somebody else on Steam forums is reporting the same issue but there is no response, none of the stickied threads seem to address this.

Edit: I figured it out. Apparently this happens on my PC if windowed mode and vsync are enabled at the same time.

babies havin rabies fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Nov 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.
Oh man, tabby's head along with dr. fetus is loving amazing as long as you're willing to lose a few hearts in the process. Recharging this after every room is just comical.