Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

CJacobs posted:

The concept of Eden Tokens makes total sense, though. If you could play as Eden infinitely for free then you could just restart until you have a superpowered loadout from the beginning and don't tell me you wouldn't do that because absolutely everybody would. There has to be something keeping you from infinitely restarting as Eden and even if you do build up a lot of tokens, you can't just throw away runs forever or you'll run out again.

So what? Once you get the items from him it doesn't even matter. Frankly, it barely matters as it is. It's dumb and if you want to spend hours resetting until you get an Eden with Brimstone, Polyphemus, flight, Tammy's Head, and max health then who cares. You could have obtained his poo poo on any random run way before you'd get that kind of poo poo anyway. Setting the limit is pointless, you'll never run out. It's an artificial scarcity that doesn't actually play into anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Plays into our minds dude. It's like Spelunky daily challenges (in fact I'm pretty sure that's where Ed got it from); a lot of people are only willing to play seriously if there's that artificial scarcity.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

But it's nothing like the daily challenge? Dunno where you're getting that from.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Koramei posted:

Plays into our minds dude. It's like Spelunky daily challenges (in fact I'm pretty sure that's where Ed got it from); a lot of people are only willing to play seriously if there's that artificial scarcity.

I like playing Eden because it's a randomized character.

I would still play Eden if the coin limit were removed, because there are no other randomized characters.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Power of Pecota posted:

Can you get anything out of Fiery Mind with Pyromaniac? I just got it while I'm working on a cheesing Bandage Girl/Meat Boy run and have D6/Pyromaniac/Sharp Plug and just need the Epic Fetus/Dr. Fetus/Ipecac/Pyro recharging element to set up the D6 loop.

Ends up it doesn't really unless you can reliably get within bomb range of Chest monsters without taking damage between procs. I had enough bombs to reroll ~6 times, neither fetus item and no monster manual :(

Meat Boy/Bandage Girl are so freaking annoying to set up.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
This game is the Dark Souls of Twin stick shooters; hard as Hell, yet so satisfying to beat.
Finally beat the game on Hard after half a dozen tries or so. I even did the boss rush for the first time.
Best purchase I never made (Thanks Playstation Plus! :tipshat: ).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKSTi6ZYykw

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Is there a fast was to restart a run?
Someone mentioned hitting R but that does nothing.

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

Is there a fast was to restart a run?
Someone mentioned hitting R but that does nothing.

Hold R.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Manatee Cannon posted:

But it's nothing like the daily challenge? Dunno where you're getting that from.

it is in the sense that it pressures you to actually complete runs rather than needlessly restart, which is half of what people liked about spelunky's. there was an interview or whatever half a year ago where ed was talking about liking that in spelunky and wanting it in isaac.

Synastren posted:

I like playing Eden because it's a randomized character.

I would still play Eden if the coin limit were removed, because there are no other randomized characters.

thats a good point. they should have just put in an actual daily challenge too.

there'll be a spidermod or whatever soon that lets you play eden unlimitedly though i'm sure

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
A1JR
0T9Z

Samson with Mom's Knife on the first floor, Unicorn Stump on the second. Sometimes the game just hands you a win I guess.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Koramei posted:

it is in the sense that it pressures you to actually complete runs rather than needlessly restart, which is half of what people liked about spelunky's. there was an interview or whatever half a year ago where ed was talking about liking that in spelunky and wanting it in isaac.

See, I don't think Daily Challenge fills the same purpose in Spelunky that Eden does in Isaac. Spelunky doesn't have any obvious starting conditions you'd want to constantly re-roll for optimum results, the randomness is mostly in level layouts and stuff, you don't lean absurdly hard on what you roll for items in that game. You can lean a bit, but there's far fewer of them to lean on in the first place so it's easier to get a hold of stuff like the Jetpack. Spelunky's daily challenge is done mostly in the spirit of competition rather than forcing people to not constantly re-roll for a better hand. Spelunky is also, to be totally blunt, the more skill-based game so somebody restarting needlessly probably wasn't very good at it anyway.

in isaac your ability to perform is dictated basically entirely by what you roll in items, so Eden Tokens are a method of getting people to play without constantly re-rolling for that better hand. I find it to be totally ineffective because I restart frivolously anyway due to having like 50 or so tokens racked up from doing everything else first

i forgot my original point halfway through so here are words. Something about the two games being pretty fundamentally different and the concepts not really applying to both.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Pwnstar posted:

I think the Eden Tokens could have been done better since its so easy to get a start that there is no point continuing on. Due to randomness Eden can be one of the characters that you will want to reload with the most unless you are hella determined to win no matter what. Which can be fun of course but if I start with 1 heart and 1 speed my will to continue is not strong. Plus if you are playing a lot and going for unlocks like me and the other crazy people in this thread then you'll essentially have an unlimited amount of them.

I think the point behind the token system is that if you're playing normally, you'll be able to afford to throw away the truly poo poo-tastic starts but not to just hold down the 'R' key until you start with Pyromania and IPECAC. It seems to be working well to me.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

if you get cancer, magnetic tears, rubber cement and the soul enemies just start bouncing around the room like crazy. often into you. some dangerous poo poo

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

What the poo poo.
Very close to a perfect run with Sampson so I get cocky.

Max RoF and DMG, triple poo poo, bouncing, piercing, soy milk for giggles and to give enemies a fighting chance, Lil Haunt and zombie baby.

Boss rush, I wasn't paying attention and grabbed magnetic tears.

I was a tractor beam to my sudden and violent death.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

The loving polaroid and negative spawn in the worst places. Always on top of me and it just automatically picks one up. I wish it waited a few seconds.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Any tips on Spelunker Boy? This is in Wrath of the Lamb Isaac, not Rebirth so I can't just cheese it with Azazel and some crazy item loadout. It feels like I'm doing well, and then the game decides to throw a room at me where I can't avoid taking any damage or a really awful boss is thrown at me. I had a much easier time with the other no damage achievements, but I have no idea why this one is giving me so much trouble.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Can someone with a loving knowledge of how this poo poo works under the hood explain why Binding of Isaac games are plagued by achievements/trophies that refuse to pop?

The Golden God trophy not coming up was irritating, but whatever, that wouldn't take too long to redo. But it keeps happening. Blood Rights and Bloody Lust didn't ever pop, and now I can add Lazarus' Rags to the list.

I'm absolutely not unlocking The Lost until after this is fixed. All of this is annoying, but if Isaac's Heart or The Mind didn't pop, that'd just be god drat infuriating. Have Nicalis/Ed mentioned anything about a fix coming down the pipe at any point?

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

SuicideSnowman posted:

I have to question the randomness of the RNG sometimes. Just restarted 3 games in a row because I kept getting XL Cellar at the start.

Normally I wouldn't restart, but with 2 item rooms and a D6 you'd think I'd be able to get at least one good item. First game, Magic Fingers & Bum Friend. Reroll Bum Friend into My Reflection. End up restarting just due to the annoying nature of the floor itself. Get pretty much the same exact floor, rooms and everything on the next one. Next run, I get Roid Rage and Mom's Eye Shadow. Reroll Roid Rage into Little Steven. Ok I guess I can deal with this. On to the bosses. Wooden Spoon and Speed Ball.

In all honesty, this is pretty standard for my Isaac D6 runs. I never seem to get any good items at all despite the fact that I'm rerolling the poo poo ones.

I'm not sure what the game uses for RNG, but it seems like resetting immediately does tend to give similar results. I often reset after getting a lovely item (especially when I was trying the lost) and it seemed like I would often have to do a reset or two to clear out things like experimental treatment being the first item, getting basement XL, or ANY permutation of the cellar.

seriously, is experimental treatment in multiple pools? Because I swear I've seen it four or five times today alone. Rebirth seems to suffer from the same problem vanilla did; most of the item unlocks aren't great, and unlocking more items seems to make runs harder, because you're getting a bunch of novelty items and minor stat ups.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

I would love if Eden, or maybe just a new character, worked like the spelunky daily and you had like one try at a randomized Eden-style character.

The leaderboard could track fastest completion time I guess?

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

:ocelot:
You're pretty good.
:ocelot:

In case nobody got a chance to try out -0- Baby yet.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Color Printer posted:

You gotta hold the button down for at least a good two seconds or so. If it doesn't work your controller's hosed up or something. (Can't speak for Vita though)

I can confirm that it totally does work on the Vita.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Dr. Fetus posted:

Any tips on Spelunker Boy? This is in Wrath of the Lamb Isaac, not Rebirth so I can't just cheese it with Azazel and some crazy item loadout. It feels like I'm doing well, and then the game decides to throw a room at me where I can't avoid taking any damage or a really awful boss is thrown at me. I had a much easier time with the other no damage achievements, but I have no idea why this one is giving me so much trouble.

Doctor's Revenge challenge with Cain. Hope for homing bombs and maybe flight.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Tiny Planet + Spoon Bender + Penetrating Shot?

It's like commanding a tiny army of purple bees.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Has anyone used the Monster Manual to build Meat Boy/Bandage Girl on the most recent version of the game? I actually got the plug, ipecac, pyromaniac, and monster manual and did it a poo poo load of times and only got to level 1 on both before my game crashed and my save wouldn't load.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
I'm sure this has been asked before but i went back like 50 pages and didn't find anything, the game is crashing on startup all of a sudden HELP I WANNA BE BAD AT THIS GAME AGAIN

e: nevermind its working again now for some reason??

Monicro fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Nov 23, 2014

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Technology + Ludovico + Proptosis = a ring of laser death so big it cannot hit monsters placed in the very corners of a room. And it kills anything it touches hilariously fast.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Okay, so how is everyone dealing with the lost unlocks? I basically just reset constantly until i spawn next to a curse and/or item room and check it out, if its nothing useful i reset. If i get the haunt I reset.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I'm dealing with them by ignoring them along with the poo poo character in general

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004
You know I would try to think of something funny to put here but ill just pass on that and threaten people with a + 2 board with a nail in it.
So I was just so badass on this last Judas run with my Guppy/Infestation 2/Scythe/Polyphemus/Tammy's Head that Satan just decided to skip his 3rd form and die at his second. The Lamb lasted like 3 seconds before the spiders and flies ate it alive.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Bloody Penny + Piggy Bank + Dark Bum :q:

I thought I was unstoppable, then I ran into an unwinnable room:

My speed stat was at it's minimum thanks to the yellow serum, thunder thighs, and then small rock. I couldn't escape the suction of the quadruple heads except by moving back and forth to slingshot myself out (while taking constant damage) and the enemies were moms hands which I couldn't avoid and made me restart the room. If I didn't have the chariot card I would be unable to progress.

Jesus christ what a nightmare room.

Fulla Lizards!
Sep 12, 2004

FrickenMoron posted:

Okay, so how is everyone dealing with the lost unlocks? I basically just reset constantly until i spawn next to a curse and/or item room and check it out, if its nothing useful i reset. If i get the haunt I reset.

Pretty much. I don't like resetting for other characters but it's basically required for Lost runs to go anywhere. Speaking of which...

:)

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

FrickenMoron posted:

Pretty much, though if I had a really really good starting item (holy mantle, most often) I'd try tackling The Haunt and then inevitably chuck the controller when the two little ghosts killed me.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

FrickenMoron posted:

I think this is pretty much what you have to do. (Also the only time I've gotten a Holy Mantle I got the Haunt too, which was really sad)

The only times I've been able to do anything I've had either a good defensive item (Dead Cat, Holy Mantle, Taurus, Gnawed Leaf) or a good offensive item (Brimstone, Mom's Knife, Epic Fetus, ???'s Only Friend, Polyphemus, Magic Mushroom/Halo/Capricorn) by the end of Basement 2 and to get past the Womb I pretty much need one of each.

I'd take any run where your first treasure room's item can get you past the end of the basement/cellar - I got Isaac's Heart earlier in one that started with Cricket's Body, which was enough damage to get to the Lil Brimstone in Caves 1, which was enough to get me to a Brimstone in the Caves 2 devil room.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Jeez, when the game wants to give you guppy for the first time ever (goddamn that took forever to get!) it sure piles it on. 5 guppy items by depths 1.

EDIT: Final trip report: Giant flies, 5 guppy items, BFF, 11 lives. Wow.

Jen X fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Nov 23, 2014

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn
Is it just me, or is Eve's Mascara not that great when it's on its own? The super slow tears are really difficult to deal with.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
Having the combo of Tech 2, Ipecac, Mom's Wig, Pyromaniac, and Book of Shadows would secure a Dead Boy Achievement, right? Gurdy Jr. said otherwise. :mad:

What's worse was I got it from a #1 dice room forgetting that it rerolled your own items and I was carrying Holy Mantle at the time. :(

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

I found the Book of revelations in the first floor item room, so I ditched the D6 and went for finally getting four cubes of meat. Famine, Pestilence and War all gave me cubes of meat.I was expecting the boss on Utero I to give me a ball of bandages or a pony instead, but the game trolled me even harder. I din't even get a horseman, I fought Mr Fred... :cripes: WTF game? I used the book of revelations twice that floor.

Fulla Lizards!
Sep 12, 2004

If the floor has a big boss room (like Mr. Fred or a Double Trouble boss) then you can't get a horseman, unfortunately.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

RoboCicero posted:

Tiny Planet + Spoon Bender + Penetrating Shot?

It's like commanding a tiny army of purple bees.

I had the same combo tonight. Nothing could even get close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HukHukHuk
Jun 27, 2011

I am the sound of cats and hairballs.
Doing the Demo-Man challenge showed me the BS you could achieve with the new Dr. Fetus, picked up Ipecac, Magic Mushroom Pyromaniac and Holy Mantle, just sat there bombing myself and 5shotting Isaac, cleared the Boss Rush with like one bomb apiece for everything other than Gurdy.